Start by marking “Designing for Emotion” as Want to Read:
Designing for Emotion

Designing for Emotion

(A Book Apart #5)

Make your users fall in love with your site via the precepts packed into this brief, charming book by MailChimp user experience design lead Aarron Walter. From classic psychology to case studies, highbrow concepts to common sense, Designing for Emotion demonstrates accessible strategies and memorable methods to help you make a human connection through design.
Published 2011 by A Book Apart

To ask other readers questions about Designing for Emotion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing for Emotion

Start your review of Designing for Emotion
Jason Zimdars
Oct 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very much looking forward to this book but I came away disappointed. I'm a big fan of what MailChimp is doing. Their marketing is excellent and the customer resources are a model for us all. I can't think of a better example of a company putting so much effort into making their customers successful. So it is not without a healthy amount of respect for the author that I offer this review.

From the start I was left with a fuzzy definition of what really constitutes emotional design in the
Ahmad hosseini
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web
It is a concise and short book but it led me to a look at the design of the site and the software from another perspective. It is a fantastic book on how design psychology influences how we understand, relate and desire software, websites and even everyday objects. It is full of great examples and it just gets you inspired to think of what emotion I want to convey before you start a new project!
This sentence shows a summary of the content of the book:
“Emotional design isn’t just about copy,
Dan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
Fantastic short book on the importance of emotion in design. While I've always been a big fan of design, this book helped me think about it in the context of emotion, which I had never really thought about before. It makes me want to do some of that user analysis immediately! Includes great case studies and solid data, which is often necessary to push for these kinds of changes. A plus: unlike some other books in the series, this content is unlikely to go out-of-date any time soon.

Highly
Nick Lo
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this bundled with the other Book Apart book Mobile First which is the one I actually wanted to read so with that context in mind, I'll give a brief review.

It's a light read and I skimmed a lot as, ironically, considering the topic is all about engagement, I didn't really connect with a lot of it. It felt a bit like the concept of "emotional" design led the book more than the actual evidence of the content did. It began to feel like someone talking really quickly at me hoping that if
Mikal
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an example of when brevity strikes back. This book, while brief and an enjoyable is lacking in substance.

Emotional design or the topic of emotion and design is often tackled from a subjective perspective by known experts. These perspectives while interesting and often fresh are often lacking of the foundations to explain just why emotions matter so much, leaving the authors preaching to the choir and lacking the empirical perspective.

I was hoping this book would cover the science
skullface
Feb 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This has not aged well. Seven years is a long time in digital design — when this was published, “product design” was limited to industrial designers making physical products. Dated aesthetics in screenshots are easy to skip over since I know to expect quality writing from A Book Apart publications.

Each chapter has numerous real-world examples on how to help your users have an emotional connection with your site/product. The emotional connection comes from the site/product having a personality
Dave Emmett
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: designers
Where the earlier A Book Apart books focused on tangible, tactical skills that could be incorporated into our design workflows, I found this one to be much more of a call to arms to re-evaluate the fundamentals of how we think about what it means to design interfaces.

The part that really gets me excited is the integration of all elements of a product together to craft an experience that delights people. Mailchimp's interface is great, but it would be nothing without the copy writing, which
Megan Carpenter
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book to get you started thinking about emotion in design. It walks you thought the options, and whether emotion is really right for your next website. While it doesn't give you all the answers, it gives you plenty to start thinking about the appropriate answers, because, let's face it, web design is not a one size fits all career. Each site will need it's own individual answer.
Mai
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-design
Quick and inspiring Read about how the focus on emotions and a persona in the design helps users have better and more enjoyable user experience ,really very effective book that inspired me with tons of ideas for design .A Must-Read for Designers :)
Cat
I read Designing for Emotion by Aarron Walter, which is about delighting your audience through emotional design. The book oozes with personality and was really hard to put down - in fact, I read the entire book in one night. It's full of real world examples that help demonstrate the principles he discusses. Although it was released in 2011 and some of the examples are a bit dated, I think the underlying principles hold true. Here are my notes:

Emotional design uses psychology and craftsmanship to
Jeff Van Campen
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux
Aarron Walter has done a fantastic job of assembling solid examples of designing for emotion. If you're about to start a project and are looking for inspiration, I'd recommend reading (or even rereading) this book. With dozens of examples, you're likely to find something that will get you thinking about how to come at your project from a different angle.

The book is at it's best when discussing the process the team at MailChimp uses. It's also great at going directly to the source for many of the
Ryan
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Aarron Walter has added another excellent book to the A Book Apart series, which are quickly becoming must-reads for designers in the digital age.

Emotional Design was a great reminder that sometimes designing engaging content gets lost in the midst of cumbersome requirements documents, challenging client relationships, or aggressive deadlines. The book made we want to bring more surprise, delight, or whimsy into my design work, purposefully trying to make a connection with another person.
John Jullies Palma
A must read for designers not just for the world wide web.
Anne
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, e-book
I put off reading this book for a long time because I thought it was about designing for emotional situations. Shows what kind of reading comprehension I've got! It's actually about designing a product or interface to resonate with its own emotion - giving your product a personality and voice and tone.

As a UX Designer, it invites me to think of different interactions that my designs can have with our users - from silly and playful to sincere and human. It talks about techniques for researching
Bernardo Vailati
Usually I very much enjoy the breviety of A Book Apart publications, but this one seemed just a bit too shallow.

I'm a huge fan of Mailchimp and the work of emotional design and branding Aarron Walter did there, and was looking forward to understand what were his references and methods. What I found instead, was a loose list of design examples (that now feel quite dated) and bits ultra-pop-psichology threw in as theoretical explanation.

All and all useful, but could just as well have been a
Scott
Aug 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For such a short book, I was surprised there wasn't more information in it. There are useful points and examples, to be sure, but I expected a lot less fluff. For example, the first chapter makes the case for why Emotional design is important, but this argument is peppered throughout the book, so the first chapter is redundant and offers nothing of value. I would say the material in this book could be condensed into a chapter of a larger scoped book.
Pam
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit dated, but still some good points. A design persona can be a useful way of framing design work, but having seen so many chatty designs fail at nuance I find myself opposed to going as far as having the interface act "human". I also question whether some of the short-term "delight" generators mentioned here translated into long-term success. But the other points were well taken.
Andy Merskin
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it overall. The examples are great! I would have appreciated more depth to the process of creating a persona to represent a brand. What methods are used to gather the personalities and vibe of a user base so a brand persona can properly be developed?

What other challenges or constraints should we expect in that creation process?
Madhu Sudhan
A quick read you can complete in a couple of hours. Even though the author sited great examples, I feel most of the content is outdated but the principles are fresh. If you are an avid reader of design articles you might see most of the content boring.

Eli Hinze
This book makes so many great points that are great for a relative UX newbie like me. Plus it includes concrete examples of everything!
Sarah Lashinsky
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
Thoughtful, witty, and succinct, Walter brings a warm glow to the designer's workflow. Note to self: re-read annually!
Jaycee
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Vaguely interesting but the author thinks the answer to creating emotional design is done strictly by injecting humor, cuteness, and whimsy. While this works for certain applications, it is not the best approach for all situations. Emotion is about connecting on a human, personal level. Sometimes this is done in a sober or serious way, other times with fun and casualness. It's important to recognize the proper tone and develop the best strategy to connect to the user's experiences and ...more
Ian
Apr 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too old. This hasn't aged well and felt like just a bunch of case studies.
Alejandra
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think every designer needs to read this book! Is full of great examples and it just gets you inspired to think of what emotion I want to convey before you start a new project!
Manas Saloi
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book along with Difference and Emotional Design are probably the 3 best books on designing products which users have an emotional attachment too.

Jane Sancompany
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
good starting point for someone not familiar with the concept, but might be boring for anyone who got the general idea already
Paul
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good primer for design psychology but doesn’t go into enough detail.
Graham Herrli
Aarron Walter proposes a hierarchy of needs (akin to Maslow's) for web design with a base of functionality upon which can be built reliability, then usability, then pleasurability. This book is about how just achieving usability isn't enough; once we fulfill the basics, we need to make websites pleasurable for users.

The book doesn't say a lot that you wouldn't find in hundreds of other design books, but what it says, it says well--with clarity and concision. It also gives many concrete examples
Angela Shetler
Like others in the series from A Book Apart, Designing for Emotion is a quick read written in a concise and approachable manner. I ordered the ebook because I wanted to get an overview of how emotion is considered in web design because that's something I've been thinking about in terms of writing for the web.

It starts off with:

"Though the industrial revolution sprang from a utopian vision of human progress, humans were so often the ones left behind. Skilled craftsmen like blacksmiths, cobblers,
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Book Apart (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • HTML5 for Web Designers