Start by marking “Last Summer” as Want to Read:
Last Summer

Last Summer

(Yorktide, Maine #2)

The town of Yorktide, close to Maine’s beautiful beaches and the city of Portland, seems like the perfect place to raise a family. For Jane Patterson, there’s another advantage: her best friend, Frannie Giroux, lives next door, and their teenaged daughters, Rosie and Meg, are inseparable. But in the girls’ freshman year of high school, everything changes.

Jane always felt l
Published June 26th 2012 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Last Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Summer

Trisha
Jul 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
In the last 10 years I can name the 3 books that I have put down without finishing, thi si one of them. It was difficult to get into, I didn't like the characters, I found the writing style confusing. I don't mind an Author focusing on a character per chapter but she started with one ended with another, sometimes it was a journal entry. I did not like this book.
Jessica
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
From the looks of the cover, I thought this book was going to be a nice beach read about a family or relationships. Needless to say, you really shouldn't judge books by their covers. This book ended up being a really serious story about a girl who is bullied and how her family deals with the aftermath.

Bullying has been a popular topic to write about, just like Keep Holding On by Susane Colasanti, and it's definitely a very serious topic. In this story, Rose and Meg are best friends until Meg sp
Beth Zaleon
First book I have ever stopped reading part way through
Erin
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am giving this book two stars because it was easily read in an afternoon, but it was a pretty bland and stereotypical account of one of today's hot topics, bullying. First, this book is the afterwards..we don't see what rosie goes through, we just hear about it afterwards in diary entries as Rosie struggles with whether or not she should fogive her best friend for spilling the scret that she was a bed-wetter until fifth grade. Really???? In high school this would bother you that much? There wa ...more
Sandra
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really had trouble getting through this book and only kept reading to see if the girls that bullied Rosie felt any remorse or regret.
The book is supposed to take place in modern times, but it read as being from an earlier decade. I don't really know why I felt this, but it just didn't seem like Rosie and Meg were actually like any 14 yr old girls I knew or know.
I found the writing to be confusing, the story is told from the viewpoints of Rosie, her mother, Meg and her mother. I was confused
Megan
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was a slow read. I turned to my mother, who read it before me, and said about halfway through, "Is there a huge twist coming up?" Her negative response and look told me she felt the same way I did about the novel. It was just plain. There was not some huge breakthrough; I thought it was a bit flat.
Seana
Jul 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
I would give this book zero stars if I could. Seriously one of the worst books I've ever read. EVER. A very lame lecture poorly disguised as a novel. Total garbage. Don't waste your time. Ugh. Oh, and NOBODY talks like the characters in this book. Not moms, not dads, and especially not teenagers. Brutal read.
Brenda
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Although it was easy to get through, I felt like the story for an afternoon special about bullying. The numerous cliches were annoying too.
Cindy
Oct 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, own, won-in-giveaway
I recieved this book from a giveaway.

Last Summer deals with bullying. Rosie's best friend, Meg, is tired of seeing Rosie get bullied and not stand up for herself. One day, Meg sees the group of girls that bully Rosie and, unbelievably, decides to tell them Rosie's biggest secret. The next day, everyone in school knows. Rosie is humiliated and stops going to school. She even goes as far as cutting herself. Now Rosie has to see a therapist every week. She is being told that, in order to cope with
Sharon
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Last Summer has an interesting plotline. Two women, Jane and Frannie, are best friends and next-door neighbors. Their 14-year old daughters, Rosie and Meg, are also best friends since toddlerhood. When Rosie becomes the victim of bullying at school, things dramatically change in an instant. Meg betrays Rosie by revealing an embarassing secret to the bullies. The book shows how this incident effects not only Rosie and Meg, but all their family members.

I found Rosie to be really annoying - too swe
Darleen
Oct 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
i hated the whiney, self righteaus (sp?), boring, crazy mother in this book, so it ruined the entire book for me. the book was written almost in a juvinile tone........i went back to make sure it was an adult novel......
Anne
Oct 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Felt way too much like author wanted to show off the research she did on bullying. Multiple characters quoting the same article while thinking to themselves felt forced and awkward. Dialog between the teens was super-stilted. Not a fan.
Montserrat Bouvier
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was ok

Was fooled by the cover: thought it would be a light summer read but turned out to be about a serious and sad issue...bullying. Even though the message is strong, the characters were weak and the storyline not compelling. A disappointment.
Amanda Hughes
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I kept waiting for something exciting to happen in the book and it never did. You only hear about the bullying after the fact. Not a winner for me.
Dee Scocos
Aug 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: don-t
Read over half of book & could not finish. Too preachy !
Jill Heather
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
It's a message book, with very overt messages and filled with infodumps. If I wanted to read what google said about bullying, I would use google myself.
Mindy
Jan 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Since I have nothing nice to say about this book, I am going to say nothing at all. :( Except, thank heavens it came from the Library and I didn't actually buy it!
Tammy
Apr 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Horrible. It read like an anti bullying brochure mixed with an after school special.
Maggie
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Last Summer features Rosie, a teenager who's been bullied severely, cut herself, and pushed over the edge by the betrayal of her best friend, Meg. Jane is Rosie's mother, and feels guilty knowing the way Rosie was raised--sheltered and over-protected--was to blame for her inability to stand up for herself. Meg is trying to understand why Rosie won't forgive her after all of the apologies and countless attempts to fix her mistake. She is figuring out what she's going to do this summer without Ros ...more
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I read this book because it was required reading for an education course that I am taking. The fact that a professor choose it as required reading says a lot, I think; and I did find the story to be very thought provoking. I was extremely glad that I read it. It was one of those stories that caused me to assess my beliefs and to examine my actions -- as a mother, friend, and educator. The very last pages of the story gave me inspiration for things that, perhaps, I can do in my own comm ...more
Linda
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I freely chose to review this book and I wish more reader's could read this! At this time, more and more children are bullied and some take their life, while others hide at home and cut themselves as it was the case with Rosie Patterson. Once her lifetime next door friend, blabbed a secret about her to the high school click girls, her life went down hill from there with teasing and insults. Meg Giroux only wanted to be in the click and didn't how Rosie's secret flew from her mouth! Too make it w ...more
Joanne
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book about a very important topic facing our society but most importantly our young ones. It goes to show that bullying has ripple effects throughout not only the immediate family affected, but throughout their friends and it moves outward. The cover of the book makes it appear to be a beach read, but I hope that potential readers don’t get discouraged when they find out it’s not. I highly recommend this book to all, whether you have kids in school or not. Good lessons for all of us. T ...more
Autumn Duncan
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I only finished this book because I have never been able to not finish a book. I keep reading in the hopes that it will somehow get better. in this case it did not.
I really like the authors books & am surprised by this one. it was supposedly set in modern times but just didn't feel like it. The clothing descriptions sounded awful! And the speaking style seemed dated.
I detest bullies and am sad this wasn't better written on the topic.
Adeline Kam
Nice cover, title and synopsis but the storyline is very boring. I skimmed through the pages since I have bought this book. I was hoping the author will put in more dramatic scenes into the storyline. I think the only interesting part of the story is about Frannie's life and family. Jane's character is very lame. Overall, this book is just okay. First time I am reading a book by this author and I am quite disappointed actually.
Emma
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was difficult to get through. It was really slow an honestly it was kind of boring. I thought it would be better. Don't waste your time reading this book unless you have a lot of time to do so. It's not worth it.
Mae
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Two families effecting by bullying, the difference between one generation and the next, and how growth can happen when you least expect it. This was a good book. Sobering and entertaining at the same time. It pulls you in and keeps you engaged.
Karin Brown
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Really unlikeable characters made this book so difficult to get through. I almost didn't finish it. Really disliked Jane in this book. I can't imagine many people who could relate to her. The bullying storyline seemed buried under other issues with flawed characters.
Linsey
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
C. L.
Poorly written and boring!

Characters were bland, boring, and immature. The plot was cliche. It’s hard to believe that the author was ever a teenager because her characters are so unbelievable.
Heidi

• Monarch Beach
  • Family Affair
  • What Women Want
  • Words Get in the Way
  • Cloaked in Malice (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #5)
  • A Wedding in Apple Grove (Small Town USA, #1)
  • Room for Improvement
  • The Happy Home for Broken Hearts
  • Sunset Bay
  • Beach Season
  • The Last Beach Bungalow
  • Once More With Feeling
  • Silence Breaks (The Moments We Stand #1)
  • The Cottage At Glass Beach
  • Have to Have It (Nannies, #3)
  • What's New, Pussycat?
Holly Chamberlin is a native New Yorker, but she now lives in Portland, Maine - the aftermath of stumbling across Mr. Right at the one moment she wasn't watching the terrain. She's been writing and editing - poetry, children's fantasies, a romance novel or two, among many other genres and projects - her entire life. She has two cats, Betty and Cyrus, and when she's not writing her hobbies include ...more

Yorktide, Maine (8 books)
  • The Family Beach House