Start by marking “Murder on Potrero Hill (Peyton Brooks' Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder on Potrero Hill (Peyton Brooks' Mystery #1)

Murder on Potrero Hill

(Peyton Brooks' Mystery #1)

Peyton knows the first suspect is always the husband, but Jake Ryder isn’t acting like a typical suspect. Jake truly loved his wife. So what went wrong?

Stepping into the circle of the social elite, Peyton finds that things work differently when you’re at the top. And Jake Ryder seems to be caught in the epicenter.

Ultimately, Peyton finds that you never know what darkness l
Published January 29th 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Murder on Potrero Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on Potrero Hill

Start your review of Murder on Potrero Hill (Peyton Brooks' Mystery #1)
Anuradha
It's like Castle, but set in San Francisco. Very run of the mill, very predictable, but still not bad.
Una Tiers
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
The writing isn't bad, the plot is okay.....BUT...the police do not have the right or ability to freeze your transit card. Nor do they have the right or ability to freeze your bank account.
Kelley Hazen
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I cannot say enough about ML Hamilton and the Peyton Brooks Mystery Series that begins with MURDER ON POTRERO HILL. ML Hamilton is huge in other genres, but her mystery work is also blockbuster. The minutes fly by as you listen to her stories and the lives of main character Peyton Brooks and her San Francisco police partner Marco.
Each story builds in excitement and intimacy. Our reviewers are begging for the next installment. MURDER IN CHINATOWN Book #5 in The Peyton Brooks Mystery series is in
Jill D Coffin
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peyton is one tough cop. No lack of excitement or suspense here

You know, I don't think I've ever read a mystery/ suspense novel with a female protagonist who I spent the first three quarters of the book disliking.
Kudos to this author who has us following closely, sympathizing with the suspect who is gathering information to clear himself and get his life back, after being railroaded, scapegoated, and all but ruined by the local police in their effort to clear a high-profile murder. It made for
Pam Benedetti
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I am often disappointed by the bargain books I buy for my Kindle. Not so with Murder on Potrero Hill (A Peyton Brooks' Mystery). I borrowed it for free as part of my Prime membership and thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. Hamilton creates a good balance between realistic character development and mostly believable action. Accused of murdering his wife, Jake Ryder eludes the authorities and attempts to find evidence to prove his innocence. Detectives Peyton Brooks ...more
John
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
First book that I have read from this author. I thought it was a good, engaging story and I liked it.
Kanad Basu
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is undoubtedly a page-turner. The plot is solid, but the execution is poor and there are way too many loopholes.

I mean, *spoiler alert*, if Jake had read Zoe's journal at the first place, the mystery would have been solved. The authors seemed to be engaged in bringing plot points that would stop Jake from reading the journal. Also, the cops Peyton and Marco are pretty useless bunch, if not idiot. Not sure why the author wants to portray her detectives like that. I mean who would just
Linda
Apr 06, 2015 added it
Shelves: abandoned
M.L. Hamilton has potential, but this book was a real disappointment. The plot was corny and the actions of the police and investigators were so far from reality it was laughable. I skimmed through much of the non-pertinent dialog to speed up the story. To avoid spoilers I will just say that most of the actions of the main characters were unrealistic and unbelievable. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of criminal law and police procedures would recognize that this story was way off the mark. E ...more
Denise
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-reads
It did eventually draw me in. It was fairly predictable, but.... even though I knew what was coming, the author did a nice job of making it pay off in the end. I wish the series continued following the main character. Instead, it follows the inspector. Meh. If she had said, "90% of the time it's the husband" one more time, I might have screamed.
Tammy
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, cover to cover it was full of suspense, intrigue and mystery. One of the best books I have read in years and would highly recommend it. I won a signed copy through a contest and I am so glad I was given the opportunity to read this and I can't wait to read more from ML Hamilton.
Dylan
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I absolutely love books like this, quick, easy-to-read mysteries that provide entertainment for a few hours. I must say, however, that the cops in this story are absolute jerks. I truly hope that cops don’t normally act like this in these kinds of situations. If they do, then I completely understand why a lot of people severely dislike cops.

First of all, Peyton is a bitch, an absolute bitch. Although the character was a great addition to the story and made it a lot more interesting, the way she
Becky
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, ML Hamilton has proven herself as an author. I love her “World of Samar” series and was interested to see how well she changed genres.

The story had me from the get-go. When Jake Ryder’s wife is murdered he becomes the prime suspect. He sets out to prove he didn’t do it. Meanwhile, the detectives are doing everything they can to trigger a confession.

I will admit that I was confident of who the killer was early on. However, that did not detract from the journey to uncover the truth.
Christine
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I should begin this by saying that I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this book from the author through the Goodreads.com First Reads program.

This mystery kept me guessing until the end. I had a hard time putting this one down and stayed up way too late reading it last night. Potrero Hill is told from multiple points of view and I found the characters to be very believable and enjoyed getting to know them. I appreciated that the author did not feel the need to tie up every story line so tha
Dizzy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a decent story, but fairly predictable. One of the first times I had things pretty much figured out not more than halfway through the book. Still, I liked the characters and enjoyed reading it.
Susan Schuman
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mysteries are one of my favorite reads. This story kept my attention, but the characters were limited to just a few. It wasn't too difficult to figure out "who done it". Enjoyed the police partners and their banter.
Tulay
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart breaking story.

Good police story, how much pressure they are under to close the case, and make incident person to suffer. You'll walk with him with the lump in your throat, but keep reading, you'll will smile, maybe....
Sue Lewis
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written

This story is very well written. It skips back and forth between the characters, but not so much that the reader fails to continue to follow the story line. I didn't want to put it down. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Adam Kokkonen
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Goodreads. It was a fantastic read. Very compelling story. Never thought I could enjoy a real world fiction as much as I had.
Alesia
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty good especially for 2.99!
Diane Zion
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
It was quick read. If the SFPD is like the one in the they should be fired. They are awful. It wasn't' much of a mystery, I knew who did it before they suspected murder.
Shannon Dyer
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Review published at AudioGals.
Elizabeth Maher
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery

Interesting plot, twists and turns. Good characters and a book that makes you want to read it at one sitting.
chelepissbcglobal.net
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS.

This was a great fast paced, exciting and thrill packed book with a great cast of characters and a terrific killer ending. Don't miss reading this book.
merilie Gonzales
Murder mystery

This was an amazing story. It had me engrossed from the first chapter. I read it straight through. I had a hard time putting my kindle down.
MARIAN CLARK
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page turner

Excellent mystery you won't want to put it down. Can't wait to read the next book in this series. Read in two sittings.
Lisa A McElroy Sweeten
Good story line

Overall enjoyable story. Some technical errors, but reasonably clean in comparison to most e-books. Not too predictable as to the storyline, either.
Kelly Trudell
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So good. I must read the next one
Mona Fall
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Fast moving, interesting characters. I read it in an afternoon. Kept me guessing about the identity
Of the killer. Would recommend this to mystery buffs.
Lidia
This is my review of the audio version of the book as posted on Audible:

That's the second Peyton Brooks' Mystery that I've listened to (the first one being the prequel to the series) and I liked it a lot - like really a lot:) It's gripping, intriguing, and it makes you keep your fingers crossed for Peyton to finally find the real killer... In one word - it's unputdownable.
The plot is quite simple in general: Jake finds his unconscious wife in the bathroom, she's taken to hospital and dies there,
Aprilleigh
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story should be a lesson to all investigators. You catch more flies with honey, and never burn your bridges. Jake is innocent, but the police treat him like he's already been proven guilty. They get him fired, freeze all his assets, and even have his bus pass revoked. He hasn't even been charged with anything! They don't even start looking at other possible explanations until he leads them by the nose right to it. I know real cops aren't that stupid, so this was horribly sloppy research on ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Combine editions request 4 5 101 Jun 19, 2014 05:19PM
Goodreads Librari...: made a mistake 2 19 Jun 19, 2014 02:34PM

• Frozen Past (Jaxon Jennings, #1)
  • Ghost in the Machine (Scott Cullen Mysteries #1)
  • The Watcher (Bigler County #1)
  • The Killing League
  • The Girl in the Snow: A Riveting Kidnapping Mystery (A Carolina Caccia Mystery Book 1)
  • When No One Is Watching
  • Dangerous Places (Leah Nash Mysteries #3)
  • Law of Five (Kate Reid #2)
  • Back on Murder (A Roland March Mystery, #1)
  • The Missings
  • A Weapon of Choice (A Sarah Woods Mystery #9)
  • Scars (Nevada James #2) (Nevada James Mysteries)
  • The Dead Room
  • The Answer To Your Question
  • Curbchek-Reload
  • Broken (Nevada James, #1)
  • Taken! (Taken! #1; Taken! serial parts #1-6)
  • Dark Waters (Deborah Jones Crime Thriller, #2)
ML Hamilton has been teaching high school English and journalism in Central California for the last 26 years.

Teaching students to appreciate literature has made her career rewarding; however, she always dreamed of publishing her own novel.

In 2010, the dream came true. Her first novel, Emerald, was published by Wild Wolf Publishing. The sequel to Emerald, The Heirs of Eldon, followed the next year

Peyton Brooks' Mystery (7 books)
  • Murder in the Tenderloin (Peyton Brooks' Mystery #2)
  • Murder on Russian Hill (Peyton Brooks' Mystery #3)
  • Murder on Alcatraz (Peyton Brooks' Mystery #4)
  • Murder in Chinatown (Peyton Brooks' Mystery #5)
  • Murder in the Presidio (Peyton Brooks' Mystery #6)
  • Murder on Treasure Island (Peyton Brooks' Mystery #7)