Start by marking “The Boric Acid Murder: A Gloria Lamerino Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Boric Acid Murder: A Gloria Lamerino Mystery

The Boric Acid Murder: A Gloria Lamerino Mystery (Periodic Table #5)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A trip to the Revere Public Library proves fatal for thirty-six-year-old Yolanda Fiore. Her body is found early one morning at the bottom of the library's staircase. The evidence shows she'd been struck on the back of the head before her fall.

In this fifth Periodic Table Mystery, retired physicist Gloria Lamerino is not inclined to take on another murder investigation--he
Published May 8th 2002 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Boric Acid Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boric Acid Murder

Nancy
Aug 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Initially I was prepared to write that this book didn't merit the time or energy necessary to write a review, but I decided that the mystery genre deserved more than that snippy comment.

I was frustrated by the contrast of the book's promise vs. its delivery. I loved the concept of a recently retired, brainy older woman "helping" her small town police dept. solve crimes when scientific expertise was required. As a true believer that mystery novels can attain literary hights, I am particularly dis
Katherine Rowland
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fic-mystery
I wanted this book to be so much more than it really was. I was intrigued by the non-standard sleuth, and had high hopes that it would be intelligent and humorous. The intelligence and humor were there, but they were wrapped in so much triteness and repetition that they were hard to enjoy.

Minichino gives us a middle-aged, heavy, amateur detective in Lamerino. So far, so good. The problem is that Minichino then uses all the "heavy, middle-aged person" tropes that will fit in the novel. Instead o
Nancyann
I am not a fan of murder mysteries but a chemist friend of mine recommended this series. I probably won't read another periodic table mystery, but I liked this one just fine. Physicist Gloria sometimes assists the Revere police as she does when a young woman is found murdered in the local library. There are many interesting details in the story---Gloria is friends with the local morticians and lives in an apartment in their funeral home, she is dating a widowed police officer, she assists high ...more
Anastasia
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Boric Acid Murder by Camille Minichino is the 5th book in the periodic table mystery series. This time police scientific consultant Gloria Lamerino becomes involved in solving the murder of a laboratory public affairs writer when her friends son is accused of the murder. I enjoyed seeing Gloria's romance progress further through the book as she cleverly works through the various suspects. A wonderful series which I am looking forward to continuing.
Andy Plonka
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src
The author is a has a PhD in Physics, but she manages to make this branch of science comprehensible for the layman while spinning a pretty good mystery to boot.
Felicia
Jul 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, interesting mystery and very enjoyable characters. I think I'm most happy with the characters.
Nick Duretta
Fairly blah, run-of-the-mill mystery. Could have been more interesting given some of the plot elements. I'm not motivated to read any more in this series.
Linda
Jul 21, 2012
James
Sep 01, 2008
Gerri Balter
rated it did not like it
Jun 14, 2014
Dianne Fullam
Dec 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Not Dead, Only Resting: A Charles Paris Mystery
  • Mama Gets Trashed (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #5)
  • Scam (Stanley Hastings #12)
  • Red Beans and Vice (Heaven Lee, #6)
  • Bandit Queen Boogie
  • Tainted Mountain
  • Firefly Gadroon (Lovejoy, #6)
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)
  • Deception (Dr Steven Dunbar, #2)
  • The Specter
  • Pretty Boy (Sam Jones, #7)
  • Virginia is for Mysteries
  • Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2)
  • The Witch's Grave (Fever Devilin, #2)
  • The Irish Village Murder (Torrey Tunet, #4)
  • Meanwhile Back at the Ranch (Kinky Friedman, #15)
  • Nobody Wins
  • Vineyard Enigma (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #13)
Camille has 2 pseudonyms: MARGARET GRACE and ADA MADISON.
More about Camille Minichino...

Periodic Table (8 books)
  • The Hydrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #1)
  • The Helium Murder (Periodic Table, #2)
  • The Lithium Murder (Periodic Table, #3)
  • The Beryllium Murder (Periodic Table, #4)
  • The Carbon Murder (Periodic Table, #6)
  • The Nitrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #7)
  • The Oxygen Murder (Periodic Table, #8)