Start by marking “Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything” as Want to Read:
Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything

Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything

We all enjoy so many things in this world. Eyes Wide Open will help you understand God's purposes for our joy and wonder. In this book, pastor and author Steve DeWitt guides you on your personal journey toward enjoying God in everything.

If you love the outdoors, art, food, sports, sunsets, coffee, mountains, or anything else, Eyes Wide Open enriches these experiences by tu
Published January 2012 by Credo House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Eyes Wide Open, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes Wide Open

Joy
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are no words. I didn't want this book to end. This was Tony Reinke's #1 pick on the Desiring God blog for books of 2012. I know why.
Quotes:
"This book's purpose is to walk with you toward what you really want. Ultimately, that is not the experience of beautiful music, or beautiful food or beautiful fragrances or beautiful stories or beautiful homes or beautiful bodies or perfect friendship or blissful marriage or any love or pleasure this world has to offer. We were made for a better place
Christa
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: actual-book
As someone who enjoys pop culture and has always been uncomfortable with the distinction of secular and sacred (aka non-Christian/Christian) when it comes to art, music, literature, and other forms of artistic expression I liked this book. All truth is God's truth and all beauty is a reflection of God's beauty, no matter where it is found. I wouldn't say I really learned anything new from reading this book, it just reinforced to me what I have already thought and has made me more conscious of ta ...more
Larry
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have a tendency to appreciate the creation more than the Creator. This book flips that upside down, helping you to see the beauty in all of creation--natural and man-made--as a reflection of the Creator and turn that wonder and worship back to Him.
Leya Delray
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful, perspective-changing book. It was startling to realize that despite my love for beautiful thing, I never fully understood their deeper purpose...until I read this book.
ChristaAnne
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a pendulum ride for me. Some sections I loved; some sections were quite frustrating. This book definitely had a cotton candy feel to it, but even in the lightness, I thought DeWitt brought out some good points to contemplate.

First, I enjoyed his section about beauty as description compared to beauty as essence. My big disappointment here and perhaps with much of the book, is that I thought he would start down a great path but then would fail to fully flesh it out. I would have lik
Paula
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hair splitting time: 1.Not sure if this is a theological split or a verbage issue, but God's redemptive plan happened before the foundation of the world. It was not plan B. It is THE plan. The fall of Adam, and therefore us, did not surprise God. 2.Never quote Eugene Petersen (He only did once) and expect me not to roll my eyes. No matter how perfect the quote may be for your topic. Conjecture about heaven, is just that. I don't believe we have a clue, I don't believe we can come close. I don't ...more
Mike Knox
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What if we were to realize that every sunset viewed, every sexual intimacy enjoyed, every favorite food savored, every song sung or listened to, every home decorated, and every rich moment enjoyed in this life isn’t ultimately about itself but is an expression and reflection of God’s essential character? Wouldn’t such beautiful and desirable reflections mean that their Source must be even more beautiful—and, ultimately, most desirable? (8)

“Alice must grow small if she is to be Alice in Wonderlan
Peter Jones
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I had heard great things about this book. But honestly I was somewhat disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high. It was not ground breaking for me. The ideas were not new and have been expressed better elsewhere. If someone has done little or no reading on beauty then they might want to start here to get their feet wet.

I did enjoy how he brought beauty back to God's character, glory,Christ,and ultimately to heaven. Also the desire for beauty is a good thing, but can be corrupted by man'
J.p. Stephens
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I think my expectations for this book led me to enjoy it less than I otherwise might have. The quote on the cover from Leland Ryken led me to believe that this would be a work about beauty--essentially, a work of Christian aesthetics. It isn't that.
This is a competent work of Christian inspiration that expounds a solid theology. However, when it comes to human appreciation of beauty, DeWitt paints in very broad strokes, leaving untouched many fundamental questions.
Recommended as a refresher in
Jeanie
What is it to enjoy the Lord in everything? More than you would think and it is a lifestyle. Seeing the Lord in everything changes how you live, how you respond to Him and to others. Seeing the Lord in everything should lead you to wonder, in awe of Him, then lead to worship in a meaningful way. Somewhat convicting in that do I enjoy the things of this life without regard to the creator, am I like a non believer. Do not let your heart be deceived. If anything, this read engages you to ask questi ...more
Corey
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really great intro to divine beauty. Happened to read this while on vacation in Florida and in the Smokey Mtns which provided wonderful backdrop and application to the main points of each chapter. All created beauty is meant to lead us to greater wonder and worship not of the created order itself (whether it's a beautiful symphony, a gorgeous sunrise on the ocean horizon, a bite of delicious strawberry shortcake, or the serenity of a quiet starry night), but of the One who created it. Too often ...more
Greg Bailey
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Steve DeWitt has given us fine, readable, and Christ-centered theology of beauty. Summarizing his purpose near the end of the book, Dewitt writes: "Like a bread-crumb trail, earthly beauty chaperones us on a path to 'see' the beauty of Christ, for His beauty to lead to wonder, and for wonder to lead us to a life of worship." I was helped by this book; I believe it will affect how I react to and evaluate beauty, both natural and manmade.
Luana Ehrlich
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly a real "eye-opener" of an elusive concept--His Beauty. The author's step-by-step method to open both believers and unbelievers' eyes to the beauty of Christ is both logical and awe-inspiring. I used this book as my opening devotional to personal Bible study and can truthfully say I am reading the Bible differently after having read "Eyes Wide Open."
Sergio Flores
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, this is one of my favorite books, Steve did a great job at showing the beauty of God and therefore showing how you can enjoy God in everything, this book is a much needed reminder about how great our God is and how artistic he is and was when he created the universe and how he sustains it. This book is also very quotable which is another plus! 5 stars for sure
Judith
Aug 24, 2012 marked it as to-read
"...a book Leland Ryken calls “the gold standard” for how Christians should value beauty in the world.”

Sean
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an enlightening and stirring meditation on God's beauty, and learning to look for it in the things we observe and enjoy all through our lives. If you admire what Jonathan Edwards and John Piper say about God, yet you find their writings to be an acquired taste, check this out.
Joe Haack
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This is essentially a biblical theology of beauty. It is pastoral in approach and tone. My big take away: Christians should not *look at* beauty, but rather *look along* beautiful things to God, who is Beauty's measure and source.

Ivan
This book deserves all the praise it has received. The final line sums the book: "Like a bread-crumb trail, earthly beauty chaperones us on a path to 'see' the beauty of Christ, for His beauty to lead to wonder, and for wonder to lead us to a life of worship." Amen and amen!
Becky Pliego
Great book about Beauty.

I would only change the cover's design. I don't think it is beautiful.
Joe
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Wow. This is a great book and I recommend it to any Christian. I'll post a longer review later. This has been my favorite book I've read this year.
lucy :)
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I wonder if I would have enjoyed this book more during my younger "I like to listen to the rain and look at the moon and make artsy metaphors" phase
Rick Dobrowolski
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A short but powerful book. Steve DeWitt helps us to see the beauty of creation from the eyes of a Christian and not the perspective of an atheist.
Alisa
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully insight.
Blake
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent, thought provoking book that was great to read through and discuss with my 18 year old son.
Josh Shelton
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
A different vantage of Piper's theology. Very interesting and fun to read.
Amy Ivey
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, favorites
A book about beauty...I read it on the beach....no better place to read this book.
Deborah
Thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Miska Wilhelmsson
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chapter 4 was my favourite, and for that alone it was worth reading the book.
Brian
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Matt Chapman
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book about the radiant beauty of our God and it's reflected image in our present world and the world to come.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Devoted to God: Blueprints for Sanctification
  • A Method for Prayer: Freedom in the face of God
  • Fools Rush in Where Monkeys Fear to Tread
  • Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian
  • Openness Unhindered: Further Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert on Sexual Identity and Union with Christ
“The experience of beauty does something profound and powerful within the heart and soul of every human being. Beauty creates wonder in us.” 3 likes
“God's beauty is the bouquet of His perfections in his person, unveiled in His purposes, and displayed in His Glory” 2 likes