Start by marking “I'm Deborah Sampson: A Soldier In The War Of The Revolution” as Want to Read:
I'm Deborah Sampson: A Soldier In The War Of The Revolution

I'm Deborah Sampson: A Soldier In The War Of The Revolution

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Relates the experiences of the woman who disguised herself as a man in order to enlist and fight in the American Revolution.
Published March 1977 by Lothrop, Lee and Shepard Books

To ask other readers questions about I'm Deborah Sampson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Deborah Sampson

Hannah B
When I was in late elementary school and early middle school I was obsessed with the American Revolution and Deborah Sam(p)son was pretty much my ultimate hero. Needless to say this was my favorite book back then. My 5th grade teacher had it in his class room and when I moved to 6th grade my middle school's library had a copy. I'm not even sure how many times I read it but it was many. Not to mention I was very ADHD back then so for any book to hold my attention like this one did was a grand acc ...more
Bekka
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Not the greatest book I've ever read, but interesting. It makes me want to see the real story of Deborah, and what her life was like. This seemed definitely whitewashed for a younger audience. The cover is atrocious! This very pretty girl dressed up in a soldiers hat - no way would she have ever passed! I've long been fascinated by the stories of women disguising themselves as men to fight in wars, I just wish this particular version had been told a bit better.
Cinnamon
When the boy that Deborah Sampson was going to marry was killed during the American Revolution, she needed a direction in her life. She felt like she didn't have a home or a cause to turn to. So, she decided to pick up the cause that Robbie died fighting for, the freedom of the colonies. Deborah Sampson dressed as man, became Robert Shurieff, and joined the Continental Army, where she fought and was wounded in more than one battle. Fiction story based on real life events.
Yasmin
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, ya
The best thing about Patricia Clapp's books is they have a little bit of romance in them...perfect for that 5th grade girl!
Katie
Apr 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Loved this book as a child. How many times did I check it out from the Loving Branch of the A2 library?!?!?
Megan
Not first reading: [March/April] 1997 With (above)
Jessica Pearcey
Caroline Mcnally
Dec 13, 2014
Gracie
May 10, 2013
Patricia Clapp was born in Boston and attended the Columbia University School of Journalism. Her first novel, Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth, was a runner-up for the 1969 National Book Award for Children's Literature. Her other books include, I'm Deborah Sampson, King of the Dollhouse, Dr. Elizabeth, and Jane-Emily. She also authored many plays for children.
More about Patricia Clapp...