Start by marking “Skeleton Crew” as Want to Read:
Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  90,764 Ratings  ·  1,347 Reviews
Librarian's note: There is an Alternate Cover Edition for this edition of this book here.

In the introduction to Skeleton Crew (1985), his second collection of stories, King pokes fun at his penchant for "literary elephantiasis," makes scatological jokes about his muse, confesses how much money he makes (gross and net), and tells a story about getting arrested one time when
Published May 13th 1993 by Warner Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Skeleton Crew, please sign up.

Srikumar Krishna Iyer It is gross.
Thank god, it was just a short story, can't imagine it as a long read in the form of a Novel or even a novella for that matter.
Elyse Introduction
Nona
For Owen
Survivor Type
Uncle Otto's Truck
Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1)
Big Wheels: A Tale of the Laundry Game (Milkman #2)
Gramma
The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet
The Reach
Notes(less)

Karen
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephen-king
There are two short stories that I read over and over. The Mist has always been a favorite, and I can't believe how many people haven't read Survivor Type! It's awesome!

I've lost three copies of this from lending it out. Don't ask--you can't borrow it! ;o)
Edward Lorn
There will be some of you that think three stars is kinda harsh for this collection. After all, it includes such amazing tales as The Mist and The Jaunt. It must be amazeballs, right? Not so much. Even the epically awesome stories in this collection need to be trimmed down. Most of them start slower than a Lars Von Trier movie, and over half of them never really pay off. There are some serious WTF stories within this collection; stories I didn't understand ten years ago and still do not understa ...more
Ron
Skeleton Crew. What a great name for this book of short stories. Many pack a scare. Some not so much. I thought I’d just highlight a few of my favorites:

The Mist - It’s by far the longest “short story” in the collection. Really, it could be called a novella. I’m glad it was included here instead of a novella collection (something that SK has become famous for doing). The Mist starts things off with a bang, or should I say a storm. After the storm comes the mist, and within that mist is the stuff
Latasha
Some stories were awesome and some not so much but none were terrible.

I reread some of these and finished the book. I bumped my rating up from 3 stars to 4. I really enjoyed this collection. my favorite 2 were the mist and GRAMMA. OMG that one was so good and unexpected. the only one I didn't care for was the jaunt. I didn't listen to the whole story so it may have been great but spacey stuff just isn't my thing. Dylan Baker reading the milkman stories was FANTASTIC!! Because of his stellar perf
Joe Valdez
Revisiting Skeleton Crew, Stephen King's collection of twenty-two short stories published in 1985, for the first time since I was in 7th grade -- a time when I was trying to dress like Don Johnson and get Madonna's "Into the Groove" out of my head -- was a wonderful experience. The horror stories I loved as a 12-year-old were each better than I remember. A couple I didn't have the patience for back then became new discoveries. A lot of the stories I never cottoned to are still terrible.

Five sta
Cody
I finished Skeleton Crew with tears in my eyes. I thought I'd read "The Reach" — the story that closes out this collection — before, but I guess I hadn't. It was an entirely new experience for me, and it packed quite the emotional wallop. As I write this review I'm still trying to mentally recover from that one, so pardon me if my thoughts are a little scattered. My Fornit died, and I'm stuck doing the job myself.

By the time this collection was published in 1985, Stephen King was a bona-fide lit
Brendon Schrodinger
Stephen King seems to be a bit hit and miss with me. Sometimes there can be a Joyland and sometimes there can be a Under the Dome. But they have never been bad or unreadable, just seemingly poor, rushed and formulaic. I am noticing that I like his more modern tales greater than his 80s and 90s huge output.

So here is a short story collection from that time. The time where it seems like he was writing a book every couple of months. And it was just how I find myself feeling about all of his works.
Cody
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it

Damien
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a great collection of short stories by the King. We've since seen a number of these made into films - notably The Raft being included in George A Romero's Creepshow 2 and The Mist which was brought to the screen by, he of the Shawshank Redemption adaptation, Frank Darabont. But it is some of the less talked about stories in this collection that shined for me. The Jaunt, which first appeared in The Twilight Zone Magazine in 1981 was a fantastic melding of science fiction and horror that ...more
Charles
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
A collection of short stories. I actually think some of King's best work is done in the short form.
Kenchiin
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
After finishing this I must confess that: it was quite cathartic.
One of those of books you need to put down for a second when you finish a chapter just to think about what you've just read.
Nandakishore Varma
It has been a while since I read this collection, but some stories (not the ones usually cited by reviewers) really frightened me.

1. Here There Be Tygers - We all know that the tiger lurking just beyond the bend in the L-shaped bathroom is only a childhood fantasy. But it's better not to take chances, anyway...

2. The Monkey - Scary toys. Your parents pooh-pooh your fears, but you know that they are out to get you...

3. The Raft - Safety is only metres away, but unreachable all the same.

4. The Jau
Trudi
The Mist; The Jaunt; The Raft; and going for the gross out ... Survivor Type (love it!)
Adam Light
I first read this collection about a thousand years ago while I was a sophomore or junior in high school. That was the mid-late eighties, and my Stephen King fascination was in full bloom. Now, nearly thirty years later, I am rereading all of King's books mostly in chronological order, attempting to recapture the ecstasy I felt upon reading them initially.
To my delight, Skeleton Crew has withstood the effects of the passage of time, held up impressively, in fact.
This collection of stories, most
Patrick

18. Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1) - 3/5

19. Big Wheels: A Tale of the Laundry Game (Milkma
Terry
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably more like 3.5/5 overall as a group of stories for me. I would give The Mist, The Raft and Gramma 5/5 with the rest all more like 3/5. Worth the read for sure for those three alone.
Stefan Yates
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skeleton Crew is still my overall favorite of Stephen King's short story collections. Several of the stories have been used in film and television (in forms that I actually enjoyed!) and I think that overall he does a good job of maintaining an aura of suspense throughout the collection instead of from story to story. The collection actually starts off with a novella, The Mist, that I used an excerpt from during high school for a competitive forensics dramatic reading that I scored very well wit ...more
Ruth Turner
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it

Most of this very long review consists of connections to King's other books, so you might want to skip those. I do them for my own benefit.

Audiobook – Narrated by frank Muller – Excellent narration.

I’ll have to qualify that ‘excellent’ because for some unknown reason The Mist sounds like it’s part of a different recording. The voice is faint and there’s a continuous annoying crackle that makes it sound like it was recorded fifty years ago. And from what I *can* hear it doesn’t sound like Muller.
Popaj
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pročitao sam Kingovu zbirku priča jednom, i to mi je bilo nedovoljno, pa sam je pročitao još jednom.
Moja "Kingomanija" traje još od mladalačkih dana i ova zbirka priča ju je samo dodatno ojačala.
Na to bih samo dodao da je mom pozitivnom utisku itekako doprineo odličan prevod Gorana Skrobonje. (Na Kralja, ipak, ne može svako da se nameri. A retki su oni koji mogu da ga savladaju.)

Kao i sa svakom zbirkom priča, neke priče vam više legnu, neke manje, neke vas oduvaju, a neke ostave zamišljenim na
Tracey
Sep 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the short story, whether you're new to Stephen King's works or not
"A short story is a different thing all together - a short story is like a kiss in the dark from a stranger." -- from the Introduction to Skeleton Crew

It had been a while since I revisited King's short story collections, and for the most part, I wasn't disappointed.

"The Mist" is more a novella than a short story, at about 125 pages. Since I grew up living at a cottage on Lake Michigan in the summers, I could relate to the small-town feel and the blind fury of the storm. Some people think this s
Brian
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-wife
I like that the format of short fiction forces a writer to use an economy that a novel doesn't require; in the few books by King I've read there are times when I feel bogged down in a narrative section bloated by scenes of little consequence. King's short stories suffer not from this issue.

"The Mist" is the strongest of the bunch - as advertised - novella in length and sporting an ending I really loved. "The Jaunt" made me think about a potential horror of teleportation I'd never previously cons
Graeme Rodaughan
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies, horror
Another solid Stephen King outing.

Just writing about "The Mist."

I find it interesting how Stephen King draws the townsfolk and their various reactions to what is happening.

It's almost like watching the progression of grief - denial, anger, bargaining, depression & acceptance with everyone on their own journey, but also being influenced for better or worse by those around them.

In the end, sometimes the horror is more other people, than anything that can be conjured up by the Mist.
Doreen Petersen
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephen-king
Wonderful series of short stories. Stephen King is a master at his craft.
Rob
Review
I'm not generally a fan of short stories, but I am a big fan of Stephen King. I've read two collections by him prior to this one: Hearts in Atlantis and Different Seasons. I thought both of them were stronger collections. The main difference is those contain fewer, but longer stories I think.

This one has been on my radar for a long time, in particular because of The Mist, which is the first (and longest) story. It's actually a Novella, where the rest are short stories. It's supposed to h
Rachael
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This isn't my favourite collection of King's short stories, but there were a couple of cracking tales in there which really lifted the whole anthology.
The dark and twisted 'Survivor Type' is a huge stand out. How far would you go to survive? What would you be capable of if your only other option was death? I can only hope to never have my mettle tested so far.
The Mist is a great read and that came as a surprise. I was seriously apprehensive about reading it as I'm still suffering some pathetic b
  Dan
The stories in this book are either hit or miss, but most of them are pretty cool. It’s definitely a better anthology than Night Shift. The stories I enjoyed the most are…

The Reaper’s Image
Nona
Gramma

..However, I would have to say that the best stories in here are The Mist, The Reaper’s Image and Gramma. Stephen King is a master craftsman of the short story. Other anthologies of his I plan to read are:Just After Sunset,Four Past Midnight, Everything's Eventual: 14 Dar
Thomas Strömquist
Stephen King re-read #21. King's third story collection contains a few absolutely brilliant pieces (foremost The Mist and my favorite story ever, Mrs Todd's shortcut) but this time they are interspersed with some lesser ones. In contrast to his earlier collections (Night Shift & Different Seasons) this one very much should be enjoyed by careful selection. As it is, the overall impression is bogged down by the (less interesting, shall we say?) stories.

My order:

Mrs. Todd’s Shortcut - Absolutel
Marvin
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
King's second short fiction collection. These are fully formed, mature fiction unlike the excellent but uneven stories that appeared in his first collection, Night Shift. Some of my favorite King tales are here including "The Raft", "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut", "The Monkey", and "The Reach". But the hightlight is the novella (novelette?), "The Mist", one of King's most creepy and successful voyages into science-fiction horror.

A comment about the story "Survivor Type". I find the story behind this tal
Mary
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: horror, short-story
Another wonderful collection from King.

I'm a huge fan of his, but this collection of short stories is probably my favorite. The Mist alone is worth the price of the book; I have never been so creeped out and upset by a story in my life as I was when I finished that story. It's more of a novella, really, but it's so good that it doesn't feel long at all.

There are also a few stories that illustrate King's ability to write a story that isn't horror. Oddly enough, I almost enjoy those stories more
Daniella
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans.
The following is a true story.

I work in a call center, 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. Glamorous, right? Don't answer that. Anyway, toward the end of the night, when the calls slow down, there can be stretches of up to five or ten minutes, sometimes longer, where there's nothing to do but stare blankly at the computer screen. And since we're not allowed to use said computers to amuse ourselves in any way--even a simple game of solitaire is strictly verboten--it gets so fucking boring I've seriously considered
Horror Aficionados : Stephen King Challenge #20- Skeleton Crew 98 81 Dec 09, 2017 04:03AM
Stephen King Fans: Skeleton Crew 39 216 Nov 06, 2017 01:34PM
Stephen King Fans: The Mist -SC 63 436 Aug 20, 2017 07:45AM
Stephen King Fans: Survivor Type-SC 76 555 Nov 03, 2016 06:28AM
Around the Year i...: Skeleton Crew, by Stephen King 4 15 Aug 12, 2016 09:38AM
Goodreads Librari...: Skeleton Crew 1986 Signet Edition cover incorrect 2 19 Feb 08, 2016 02:10PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Skeleton Crew by Stephen King 9 28 Mar 22, 2015 04:20AM
  • The Regulators
  • Night Visions 5
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • The Collection
  • The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories
  • Creepshow
  • Magic Terror
  • Best New Horror 19 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #19)
  • Strange Highways
  • The Stephen King Universe: A Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • Blue World
  • Book of the Dead
  • Nightmare At 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories
More about Stephen King...
“A short story is a different thing altogether – a short story is like a quick kiss in the dark from a stranger.” 2337 likes
“There are things of such darkness and horror—just, I suppose, as there are things of such great beauty—that they will not fit through the puny human doors of perception.” 32 likes