Start by marking “Archon (Psi Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Archon (Psi Chronicles, #2)

Archon (Psi Chronicles #2)

As the powerless and the powerful clash, allies and enemies are not always who they seem to be in this dynamic sequel to the dystopian novel Freakling.

Having used his unique connection with the Heart of the Earth to terminate the use of psi, or telekinesis, in the secluded city of Deliverance, twelve-year-old Taemon bears the burden of responsibility for the fate of its pe
Published October 8th 2013 by Candlewick (first published August 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Archon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Archon

Bennett

First of all, it had the same enjoyable aspects as it predecessor. I still loved "psi" itself, and the interesting setting.

But I rated this one less that the first book because it felt just a little different. I can't really put my finger on it...

Taemon felt a little more confident in this book, which could be very intricate character development, or it could be a lack of character consistancy. I'm deciding that it it the character developing more.

Amma seemed a little less confident an
Y. C.
Aug 25, 2013 Y. C. rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
FINISHED!!!

photo Bakemonogatari-KarenAraragiGif_zps7fd0d3fd.gif

So, as I've mentioned before, I got this book through Goodreads giveaways. Thanks Candlewick.

Archon was surprisingly engaging, considering it was for 10 year olds. It's not YA, but more for the middle school audience. I finished it really quickly (around 2 hours), and I was mesmerized by the world Krumwiede presented. I'm considering reading the next and first one.

I loved how Taemon and Amma were headstrong and moralistic. They had a strong sense of right and wrong and relied on eac
Sydney
Jul 22, 2013 Sydney added it
Where do you find this book? I want to read it so badly
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
I love when good sci-fi takes an unexpected turn . . . and remains good sci-fi. I cannot wait to find out what's in store for the True Son in book three!
Amy
Dec 21, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
*Highly serviceable middle grades fantasy/dystopia that focuses on war with some theatrical effects and decent plot twists thrown in.*

I've been breezing through the Psi Chronicles series to get to True Son, which I have yet to read and review (!) (This weekend, I promise!)

Anyway, this series allows me to reflect a little bit on what it means to write a review and to review a book, because I'm torn here between my role as an adult reader and my role as a teacher of reading to seventh graders.

In m
Patricia
Sep 08, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it
This second book in the Psi Chronicles trilogy begins with Taemon and Amma going to the Republik to look for his da. They befriend a young Republikite named Gevri who helps them get into the military outpost on the other side of the mountain. There, Taemon trains a group of seven very young Archons, psi or dominion-wielding warriors. At the same time, Taemon is looking for his father in the dungeons. The archons help him and they escape, but the Republik army pursues them across the mountains an ...more
Jenn
Sep 27, 2013 Jenn rated it really liked it
I received this as part of the Goodreads Giveaways. So the copy I read was an ARC, which means some parts may be different from the retail copy.

I will try to be as spoiler free as possible. I also apologize if my writing is not great.As this is a YA novel I did not expect it to be at an adult level, and this book works very well for that level.

This book was a really great read, in fact I finished too quickly. It had me on the edge just waiting to see what would happen next, and upset when it was
Angie
Archon is the continuation of the Psi Chronicles that started in Freakling. Taemon has successfully gotten rid of psi in Deliverance and the community has fallen into chaos as people try to figure out how to live without psi and do things manually. Taemon learns that when he asked the Heart of the Earth to get rid of psi it left everyone except him. So not only did he destroy everything he kept power for himself. Taemon also discovers that his father has been taken over the mountain into the Rep ...more
Owen Lee
Jan 10, 2016 Owen Lee rated it it was ok
First of all, I don't recommend anyone reading this book. In fact, I do not know why I finished this book at the first place. Whoever enjoyed the first book of this trilogy, this book is not the same. The story is boring and very long for no reason, some characters are unnecessary, and most importantly, it wasn't fun. No events in this book got me excited or want me to flip to the next page. Also, there wasn't any story structure, and if it did, it was hard for me to catch it because it wasn't d ...more
Brandi Young
Rarely are second books of a series this great!

Amma and Taemon are constantly traveling to help their communities now that Taemon has asked the Heart of the Earth to remove all Psi power from the people. The people in the city Deliverance have never used their hands before so the people of the farm community are trying to help them adjust. This is when Taemon hears that his dad is on the other side of the mountain which is the military community, the Republik. He and Amma cross over to the Repub
Dana
Nov 23, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it
Very good book. True to her style of Freakling, the author kept me invested in the characters and caught up in the story. I found myself "cheering" for characters at times, and feeling terrified for them at others. Although this is supposed to be a "tween" or teen book, I found it fun and enjoying. I have to say I didn't like the ending of the book, however. It wasn't that the writer did a poor job with the ending; it just appears that the next book will be going in a direction that doesn't make ...more
Amy
Nov 13, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
I really liked the first book in this series and gave it 3.75 stars, so I was looking forward to the second one. However, I have to say I was disappointed. I felt kind of rushed through the story, and it seemed to me that the author was doing all the "telling," rather than letting the characters do that through dialogue.

I'm giving this 3 stars because I just can't bear to give it less when the first volume was so promising. But my disappointment made this feel like something in the 2.5-2.75 star
Marilyn Olson
Nov 18, 2013 Marilyn Olson rated it liked it
Shelves: plnnj-reviewed
In a sequel to "Freakling" Taemon's guilt for causing Psi or telekinetice abilities to disappear is especially bad when he discovers he still has his abilities. When he disovers his frail mother in a care facility, Taemon learns his father was kidnapped by the Republik. Joining him on the rescue journey is Amma from a nearby psi-less society. This is a strong dystopian story with strong characters. Some of the situations are resolved a bit convenienthly. The book features strong worldbuilding a ...more
Infinite Reader
When I picked this up I was full of excitement. What happened to Taemon and Amma and the rest of their land as psi disappeared? My expectations for this book were great, it turned out to be phenomenal.
The plot twists scattered throughout the perfectly written pages caused me to become absorbed into the emotional, action packed sequel to the first book in the series, Freakling.
This is one of the best books I've read in a while and is perfect for kids (and adults) of all ages. Great job Lana!
Amanda Northrup
Jul 03, 2016 Amanda Northrup rated it really liked it
A great continuation of the first book in the trilogy, providing a nice bridge for a final showdown in book 3. I.didn't enjoy the world quite as much, but that's probably because the world and characters were in turmoil. Still, it would have been nice if a bit more of the Republik and wider world had been fleshed out besides the Outpost. Still not totally sure I understand the big war at play in the background. Overall, a captivating read. Looking forward to book 3.
Karen Gray
Mar 17, 2014 Karen Gray rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Book 2 of THE PSI CHRONICLES by Lana Krumwiede finds Deliverance in the midst of crisis. The city dwellers are unwilling to adapt to life without psi. Society is in disarray. Taemon is intent on finding his mother and father and searches the city asylums desperately looking for them. When Taemon's psi returns he determines to travel over the mountains to the Republik hoping to rescue his father. His actions bring his world to the brink of catastrophe.
Maria Kiguthi
Apr 20, 2015 Maria Kiguthi rated it really liked it
You must read the first book to understand this book. That being said following Taemon and Amma over the mountain and to the Republik was a good read. I was quite frustrated with Taemon as I felt like he was just being stupid much of the time. Gevri is a great addition to the series and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Erin
Sep 14, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
I will not be putting any spoilers in this review. I was lucky enough to win an advanced copy of this book. While the book is short, or at least seemed to be, a lot happens and even if you haven't read the first book, you get a general idea of what happened in the previous book. I would definitely recommend this book. Especially for middle school aged childen.
Jb
May 10, 2013 Jb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series, and though it was a little intense sometimes, i love how it ended.
(got too nervous and took a break) XD
I thought the direction everything went was a very natural progression of things, after what happened in the first book and i can't wait to read the last in the series. I hope Lana Krumwiede will keep the stories coming.
Amanda
Dec 13, 2016 Amanda rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book nearly as well as the first in the trilogy. A lot of second books in a series share the problem that this one has. I felt that there was way too much waiting and setting up the story without much really happening. It just felt like filler. And once there was finally some action it was resolved too quickly and easily.
Read  Ribbet
I was a big fan of Freakling which won the 2013 IRA Honor Award for intermediate fiction. Part of the Psi Chronicles, it's a dystophia series appropriate for intermediate readers. Archon picks up where Freakling leaves off.
Sharon
Aug 29, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
I loved this book more than the first! I grew attached to the characters, loved the sweet little archons (what will happen to them?!) and am a little grumpy I have to wait until the next book to read what happens!
DJ
Sep 15, 2013 DJ rated it really liked it
Archon from the Psi Chronicles was a great read except for one thing. In my opinion, the story felt a little rushed and short for my standard. That is my only critique. I recommend for all ages.
Casey Middlebrooks
Feb 06, 2014 Casey Middlebrooks rated it really liked it
Curse of the 2nd in the series. Not as good as the first one, and I had one issue with the main character's progression, but still an enjoyable read and I look forward to the next.
21bwrichards
Mar 16, 2016 21bwrichards rated it it was amazing
Pretty good. I finished the last book though so i don't have a review for it. i'll just say that i recomend the series because it's pretty good.
Sylvia
Aug 10, 2014 Sylvia rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book that much, there isn't really a lot that happens. once I finished reading I felt like the book was really short.
Amanda
Sep 12, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
I'm glad I read it for the sake of the read, but this book was not my cup of tea. It was interesting, but just a little too out there for me. I much prefer information texts. :/
Cherie
Oct 18, 2015 Cherie rated it liked it
Good for the entire library. Not as strong as the first book.
AnnMarie Johnson
Dec 23, 2013 AnnMarie Johnson rated it did not like it
Too young for me
Ask Lana Krumwied...: The Psi Chronicles 2 8 Aug 28, 2013 07:27AM
  • Bot Wars (Bot Wars, #1)
  • Horizon (Above World, #3)
  • Awakening on Orbis 4 (The Softwire #4)
  • Alien on a Rampage (Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast, #2)
  • The Lost Planet (Chase Garrety #1)
  • Randoms (Randoms, #1)
  • All That's Missing
  • The Expeditioners and the Secret of King Triton's Lair (The Expeditioners, #2)
  • Contagion (Toxic City, #3)
  • The Forever Man (W.A.R.P., #3)
  • Spell Robbers (The Quantum League, #1)
  • Sky Jumpers (Sky Jumpers, #1)
  • Station Zed: Poems
  • The Princess and the Unicorn
  • SMASH: Trial by Fire
  • Pirates of the Silver Coast (Three Thieves, #5)
  • Phoenix
  • Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates
In third grade, Lana wrote in her autobiography that she wanted to be a mother, a writer, and the church organist. Two out of three ain't bad! Her work has appeared in Highlights, High Five, Spider, Babybug, The Friend, and Chicken Soup for the Child's Soul. Freakling is her first novel.

Lana has tried psi many times, particularly when it comes to household chores, but she could never make it work
More about Lana Krumwiede...

Psi Chronicles (3 books)
  • Freakling (Psi Chronicles, #1)
  • True Son (Psi Chronicles, #3)

“The need for peace in your heart doesn't change, psi or no psi.” 1 likes