Start by marking “Freakling (Psi Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Freakling (Psi Chronicles, #1)

Freakling (Psi Chronicles #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,536 Ratings  ·  289 Reviews
In twelve-year-old Taemon’s city, everyone has a power called psi—the ability to move and manipulate objects with their minds. When Taemon loses his psi in a traumatic accident, he must hide his lack of power by any means possible. But a humiliating incident at a sports tournament exposes his disability, and Taemon is exiled to the powerless colony.

The "dud farm" is not wh
Published October 9th 2012 by Candlewick Press (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Freakling, please sign up.
Lana Krumwiede The birth symbols are kind of like horoscopes. Each day has a symbol. The symbol changes every day until all twenty symbols have been cycled through.…moreThe birth symbols are kind of like horoscopes. Each day has a symbol. The symbol changes every day until all twenty symbols have been cycled through. Then the cycle starts over. So the day symbol of the day you were born becomes your birth symbol, or your birthsign.

There are superstitions about what kind of personality you have if you're born under a certain symbol. There are no symbols that are inherently bad, and some may go in and out of favor. But one especially is considered unlucky: Knife.

In Taemon's world, your birthsign has a lot to do with how you are perceived by others. They will interpret your actions based on your birthsign, even if it's not at all true. A Knife, for example, may have a hard time getting a job because of the bad luck that supposedly follows them. And of course, anything bad that happens will probably be blamed on the Knife.(less)
Lana Krumwiede Yes! I'm happy to say that this book is the first volume in a trilogy called The Psi Chronicles:

Book 1 = Freakling
Book 2 = Archon
Book 3 = True Son

Hope…more

Book 1 = Freakling
Book 2 = Archon
Book 3 = True Son

Hope you enjoy them!(less)

Lana Krumwiede
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rating your own book is like voting for yourself. You feel silly if you do it, but stupid if you don't.
Amber
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
Taemon is a young boy who has psychic power known as Psi. When his brother Yens tries to kill him, Taemon fights back only to lose his psi power. When the whole city finds out that he is powerless, Taemon is exiled to the powerless colony to be with the regular humans. Can Taemon survive and have the strength and courage to protect his new home? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good Science Fiction Fantasy YA adventure that is the first of a trilogy. There is tons of action an
Experiment BL626
This dystopian Middle Grade book would have been an easy 3-stars were it not for a few big things.

+ the weak hero

I did not like Taemon. I could tolerate his lack of self-confidence, but his refusal to listen to his common sense pushed my limit. When you live in a society where psychic power is everything and you lose your own, common sense dictates that you should avoid everything that would pull attention to you. That means no participating in sport events where psychic power is the way you pl
❤Marie Gentilcore
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, series, sync
This was a very entertaining book. It is set in a dystopian world where there is a community of people who have “psi” which is an ability to move things using just their minds. There is also a community of people without this ability who are considered “powerless.” The main character Taemon lives in the psi community. There is conflict between Taemon and his brother Yens who is doing all he can to be proven to be “True Son” of the psi community. I don’t want to give away too much so I will stop ...more
Kyra
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Freakling and I thought it was a fabulous story. The book is debuting in October, but I received an advanced copy from a teacher at my school who went to a book convention in Chicago. I was ecstatic to read a book that has yet to be published but little did I know that the plot and characters would be so multi-dimensional and intriguing that I hardly put it down. The main character, Taemon, is a boy with great intellect and deep thoughts. I applaud Lana Krumwiede for her descript ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
Another MG one, but I was really surprised when I read that this one was MG. There was violence, death, threats of violence and even a hint of a threat of sexual violence. I get that the main character is 13 so I guess that makes it more MG then, but, since it is labelled as MG some really young readers could read it. But maybe kids these days are more used to things. Still, I would say this one is more for younger YA readers. Cos no, there is not that much violence. YA has more, but I still fee ...more
Devon
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all, this book started off slow and I didnt think I would enjoy it...AT ALL. However, making connections and looking deeper into the text made it more into like a mystery book, which I enjoyed. Doing "a home things" when reading this book made me change my opinion in the book. But there were still sometimes where the book was sooo detailed that it made it terrible.

Honestly, when in social studies class and reading TKM in the past, this made me connect slavery with this book. Generally
Powder River Rose
A future society that uses forms of psychokinesis and has forgotten how to even zip a zipper unless through the power of the mind. The narrator was excellent. I enjoyed this book, it is great for teaching morals, good vs evil and a bit of science, but it is also a fun and gently mysterious story of a young boy who was hurt in an "accident" and how he overcomes his disability. I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of the series as it comes out.
Marjolein
Full review to come!
Deborah Andreasen
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story. Superb writing. No plot holes that I saw (or rather heard). I listened to the audio book version. Perfect narrator. Highly recommended to all readers.
Tara
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Let me clarify...I really liked this book for a ten or eleven year old. I would even give it to an older reluctant reader. Despite an interesting premise, the writing is just too simple for the book to go much higher. And, it needs to, because the themes it addresses--pride, loyalty, deception, self-sacrifice and death--are ones that can require a bit of emotional maturity. My eleven year old read this in an afternoon and we had a great discussion about power, knowledge and making decisions for ...more
Bennett
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I gobbled this thing up in one single night. I was expecting a cheap spoof of the The Hunger Games, but I was delighted to find that I was wrong. Freakling is a thing of its own!!! I love the idea of having psi (I'm guessing the P is silent) and moving stuff with your mind. I'm so glad this is a series! This book deserves to be praised heavily.

Alternate Rating: B
Wendy Bunnell
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm giving this a 3 1/2 star rating, and added the next book in this series to my "to be read" list. I coincidentally read it the same weekend that I read The Darkest Minds and that might have been a little too much psychic ability YA for a single weekend, but this came out as the stronger book. The audience for this book is younger than YA, but pretty close.

Fantasy and sci-fi books really come down to three things for me: Characters, plot and universe.

I really liked the characters of Taemon, hi
Annie
First Look: This looked pretty interesting.  I actually had a similar idea revolving in my head for quite awhile (though it's now been put indefinitely on the back burner).  Ultimately, the execution of this book was very different from my idea, which is perfectly alright with me.  Also, it's kinda refreshing to read middle grade every so often--it gives me a break from angsty romance and love triangles everywhere.

Setting:
I love, more than anything, the fact that this setting made me think quit
Laree
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
interesting premise. I was surprised at the ending. Even more so when I come here and see it labeled #1 in a series. I'm intrigued how she continued the plot - I'll have to check out the others.
Chris Sorensen
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Actual review is 4.5 out of 5

The premise of 'Freakling' is what drew me in. Young boy, just starting his teenage years, lives in a city where everybody has the same power - that's a pretty good twist. The power to move things with your mind - psi - is also intriguing in how Krumwiede applies it to the book; not only does it serve as a useful tool for action, but it also has a more symbolic purpose as well. Is it possible for somebody to "lose their identity" when everybody has the same identity
Melissa Prange
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
In the future, Deliverance is a haven for those with psi (or telekinesis). Those without psi are forced to live in an outer community for those without powers.

At the beginning of the book, Taemon has psi, but he also has the ability to see into the workings of things. This ability makes him different and places him in trouble. If the leaders of their community were to find out, he could be placed in an asylum or banished. It doesn’t come to that, however, because after a failed attempt on his br
Julia P.
Oct 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
A Book-Nerd
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You know that book that at first it's,Meh, then you are suddenly 230 pages and you just HAD to chuck it at a wall? That is what Freakling fits in. I didn't hate the book, I loved Taemon, he was very curious, it did lead to trouble though. No,what made me throw the book at my wall was Yens and Elder Naseph. I say good ridance for both of them being gone! The book is good, but it is just the villans in the book will make you want to hurl the book at a wall. I loved it. The plot ran very fast,dates ...more
Amanda
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is actually my second time reading this book. I didn't realize that she had made it into a trilogy, so I decided to read this one again before reading the others. I quite enjoyed the story. It was different than other books in it's genre (didn't just feel like the same old story) and I liked the main character and how the book ended. It's definitely written for a younger reader, but I still had fun with it.
Amy
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
My middle school book club kids loved it! And it's a great young teen dystopian. It's just not my kind of book. I wasn't in to dystopians that much to begin with, and I'm especially tired of them now. But kids these days can't seem to get enough! Like I said, the 5th-7th graders I know loved it!
Debbie Barr
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
A nice dystopian for younger readers, the plot was compelling enough for a ten or eleven-year-old, and the world one young readers will enjoy thinking about when the story is over. Although it was at times predictable and the characters a little flat, it was an enjoyable read overall.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Booktalked this one on the recommendation of my colleagues. It was so popular with the kids I had to read it myself. Finished just in time for the sequel's fall release. Perfect example of sci-fi for elementary and middle schoolers.
Colleen Clayton
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Very well done. What I liked best is that I couldn't put my finger on it genre-wise. It is a sci-fi dystopia but also had elements of the fantastical and some steampunky things going on. Great characterization and world-building. Loved it.
Olivia S
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was SO good! I absolutely loved it and will definitely be reading the rest of the series.
Eli Hernandez
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I was to enraptured by this story that I couldn't down once I picked it up.
Renee Rindler
I loved this book!!!!!!
Katie Wilson
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit

Got Freakling this afternoon, finished it tonight. Great story, fast action, believable world. Krumwiede hit a home run with this one. Loved it!
Robyn
First Line:
The first time Taemon’s brother tried to kill him was the night Uncle Fierre came over with his unisphere, p.3.
Taemon and Yens do not get along. Taemen, twelve, has always been able to do unique things with his psi, or telekinesis, that his older brother Yens has not. When an elder priest makes an unusual proclamation, he will select the True Son to begin the New Cycle, Yens’ desire to be chosen intensifies. Yens will become the True Son even if it means killing his brother. Th
Ask Lana Krumwied...: Publishing Tips 12 28 Sep 02, 2013 05:44AM
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • Eye of the Storm
  • Kizzy Ann Stamps
  • Iron Hearted Violet
  • The Prince Who Fell from the Sky
  • Rise of the Corpses (The Undertakers, #1)
  • What Came from the Stars
  • Above World (Above World, #1)
  • Sky Jumpers (Sky Jumpers, #1)
  • Homesick
  • The Boy at the End of the World
  • The Planet Thieves (The Planet Thieves, #1)
  • Project Jackalope
  • Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)
  • Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief #1)
  • All Good Children
  • Aquifer
  • Saving Sky
In third grade, Lana wrote in her autobiography that she wanted to be a mother, a writer, and the church organist. Two out of three ain't bad! Her work has appeared in Highlights, High Five, Spider, Babybug, The Friend, and Chicken Soup for the Child's Soul. Freakling is her first novel.

Lana has tried psi many times, particularly when it comes to household chores, but she could never make it work
More about Lana Krumwiede

Psi Chronicles (3 books)
  • Archon (Psi Chronicles, #2)
  • True Son (Psi Chronicles, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
“Where you look is where you go, remember? Don't look at hopeless. We don't want to go there.” 0 likes