Start by marking “Margaret and the Moth Tree” as Want to Read:
Margaret and the Moth Tree

Margaret and the Moth Tree

Lemony Snicket meets Charlotte's Web in this spellbinding story about a quiet, brown-haired orphan named Margaret trapped in a dreadful orphanage run by the sinister, beautiful Miss Switch. After an unsuccessful attempt to alert authorities to Miss Switch's tyranny, Margaret is forced to endure a life of complete silence. But the new state of affairs proves to be more bles ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Margaret and the Moth Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Margaret and the Moth Tree

Start your review of Margaret and the Moth Tree
Kathleen Yamazaki
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book before giving it to my niece. So fantastic! It was mischievous, whimsical and funny with a bit of a dark edge. It had flavours of my favourite Roald Dahl book as a child, Matilda. The story telling was really interactive too, great for young readers, explaining and expanding on more difficult concepts. Definitely recommend this for young readers ready to tackle longer chapter books or for parents who would like to be entertained by the books they are reading with their children. ...more
Barbara
Yoo Kyung Sung
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-ncbla
I liked the voice in this book. The voice that often good books tend to have is here. Something insightful and not so cautious to be a "child's book" like. Elements for orphan literature reminds of old classics of orphan literature ( e.g. Anne In Green Gables) that it gets credit from my old favorites and childhood favorites.

The first page quote grabbed my attention, " Many bad people look quite nice, and many good people are not beautiful at all. Many good people aren't pretty or cute or even
Jim Goodall
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed Harry Potter, Dr. Seuss, Roald Dahl etc. this is a must read. It's full of laughter and wonderfully touching moments. It's sure to be a classic and I would be surprised if this book isn't made into a movie one day. Short and sweet and easy to read. Worth it.

Sara Jane
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Immediately, I fell in love with Margaret. I wanted to pick her up and snuggle her and tell her that she is seen and loved.

Margaret and the Moth Tree has a quick-moving plot and distinct characters; and is full of true-to-life insightful observations. The writing style manages to address serious themes, yet still entertain us with fantastical plot twists, such as the appearance of talking moths. It is playful and honest, full of both joy and pain.

I appreciated the themes of courage,
Lizzy
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
For the majority of Margaret Grey’s existence (all eleven years) she has been an orphan taught to be quiet and to cause the least amount of trouble possible. When Margaret’s parents died, her only living relatives were the quiet, but-not-big-on-hygiene, bachelor Uncle Amos, and the well-mannered-to-a-fault Great Aunt Linda. Margaret lived with one, then the other, but as years went by, they, too, die and leave her alone. She gets sent to the Hopeton Orphanage where she hopes against hope that sh ...more
Eustacia Tan
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
For some reason, I had the thought "my childhood!" when reading this book. It reminded me of the books I loved (and still love) to read as a child. Ah, my childhood, days of Enid Blyton, The Bookworm Gang and a bunch of stories whose titles I have forgotten but plot sticks in my head. (People around my age should know what I mean ;) )

On a side note: does anyone know how to find the title of a book from the plot?

At a short seventy-plus pages, you may thing that there's not much. But
Maxie
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Margaret and the Moth Tree by Kari Trogen and Brit Trogen

Kari and Brit Trogen created a story for children that is pregnant with life lessons. In my opinion every child should be exposed to Margaret and the Moth Tree before the age of 10 as a read aloud book in a classroom for grades 1-5. In Margaret and the Moth Tree these two talented authors paint a crystal clear picture of the world through the eyes, the emotions of a little girl named Margaret Grey.
Margaret and the Moth Tr
Junko Suzuki
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book! I think it’s very unique that the authors chose “moths" for Margaret’s companions as they seem to be pretty low-key creatures. I enjoyed imagining what it was like to have a gift like Margaret (to be able to hear the feeble sound), and I honestly rooted for her (and the dreg team) as they try to stand up against Miss Switch (good naming!). And this matron was a very thoroughly developed villain and some scenes were quite nail-biting, making you worry she might find out ...more
Pam Torres
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it

I have mixed feelings about this book. I loved the cover, the nostalgic feel of it. The voice reminded me of read aloud books from my childhood and brought back those pleasant memories. Unfortunately, the story itself isn't very original, an orphanage with the evil matron and the lone orphan that overcomes. That said, it did keep my attention and the writing kept the tension wound tight. The didactic lessons, I don't think, will appeal to children much older than eight. The moths were original
Hayleigh
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Margaret and the Moth Tree is a brilliant work of fiction that will have readers young and old (and in-between) delighting in a world of wit and subtle magic. For me, this book took me back to the first time I ever read Matilda, by Roald Dahl. The Trogen sisters have a similar wit and way to their storytelling that Mr. Dahl did, which captivates such a wide range of readers. I was rooting for Margaret (and her band of moths) from start to finish, and you will too! This is a must read.
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Great little book for children--very similar to Matilda. Margaret is passed around various family members after her wonderful parents die, and ends up at an orphanage. Everything seems peachy, until the strangers leave and Ms Switch becomes her evil self again. Even the other orphans are mean to Margaret, so she finds shelter in some bushes and her new moth friends. That's right....Margaret can hear the moths' conversation! Great supernatural twist, because, of course, the moths save the day!
Tracie
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Margaret Grey is sent to the Hopeton Orphanage ruled by the tyrannical and cruel Miss Switch. With the help of some talking moths, Margaret finds the courage and stamina to outwit Miss Switch and change life for the better. As weird as this sounds, there was something magical about this story and I enjoyed it.
Lavinia
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting book. Once I started this book,I can't stop reading it. My favorite part of this book is when a little girl that had plain brown hair,plain brown eyes,and a plain brown face, named Margaret got new parents when she got out of the orphanage. What is special about the girl is that since she is so quiet she can hear moths.
Erika
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Reminded me of so many childhood favourites, Dahl, Hodgson Burnett, Nesbitt, Blyton. I'm an elementary school librarian and I can't wait to read this to my students oh, and my own children!
Only complaint is the cover. People do judge books by them, and this cover is unattractive. I had previously ignored it for just that reason.
Susan
Mar 04, 2013 added it
What a lovely fairy tale! I really enjoyed this. I wonder, however, if I am alone in wishing that Margaret, upon obtaining a happy ending, could still retain the power of being able to hear the moths. Finding a way to live among people and still hear the moths is kind of my primary goal in life. : )
Rachel Seigel
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This debut novel is very sweet and compelling. It reminded me at times of "A Little Princess". The character development wasn't stellar, but it's a quiet little book for a thoughtful child, and would work well as a read aloud. I give it the high rating because it was enjoyable, and the quality of the writing was excellent.
Nicole Luiken
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Charming middle-grade novel. It reminded me a little of Roald Dahl, humourous with an orphan protagonist. I loved Margaret's Listening 'super-power'. I read this to my 10-year-old son. We started off doing two chapters a night, but by the three-quarter mark he was asking for more chapters.
Sarah Horner
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great story for students just starting into chapter books. The authors have a "different" style of story telling but I really enjoyed it. This is just a great story, great characters, a little adventure but nothing over the top. A refreshing change in many ways.
Jenny
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
If Roald Dahl, Lemony Snicket and Eva Ibbotsen wrote a book together, this would be the lovely result.

Perfect for Students in grades 3 and 4. I'm only a few chapters in but I love it.

So happy it was nominated for a Silver Birch (express) award by Ontario librarians.
Jane
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely charming from the beginning to the end!

This book is beautifully written—I absolutely loved Margaret and I believe everyone else will too (except Miss Switch of course).

I will definitely be buying this book for my young cousins.

Mercy
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fic
Girl who can hear moths talking- gets revenge on evil orphanage matron. Mystical part is oddly put into the rest of the story, but I still enjoyed it.
Sharon
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I loved this book. It reminded me of books that I loved when I was a child (Charlotte's Web comes to mind). I wish this one could be considered for the Newbery...
Melissa
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Sweet.
Christy
I liked this little mystery. Quirky and fun. The only bit I didn't enjoy was some of the moth scenes as I felt they dragged a little bit - but just a bit. Other than that - well done.
Tonks
This book told me how cruel some people who are jealous can be
Sheryl
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
A charming fantasy about a young girl in an orphanage who uses her talents to overthrow the mean Matron. This would be a good companion to Matilda, but more serious.
Cristina
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: daughter-s-reads
Loved this book!
Mari
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Spunky girl orphan, exaggerated adults, whimsy, and talking moths. Give this one to kids who want more like Roald Dahl's Matilda.
Marlene
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
What a wonderful story blending Charlotte's Web and Lemony Snicket! It fully deserves the attention and awards this story has been receiving. I hope the sisters write more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Life Inside My Mind: 31 Authors Share Their Personal Struggles
  • The Good Egg
  • Cold Summer
  • The Nightingale and the Rose
Brit Trogen is a Canadian writer currently living in the UK. Her first children’s novel, Margaret and the Moth Tree, was coauthored with her sister Kari.

Brit started writing in university, and her first short story was published by On Spec Magazine. Since then she has published more short fiction, started a science website and contributed to Discover Magazine, Livescience, Encyclopedia Britannica and other
“If this were a proper world, beautiful faces would belong to beautiful people. Good people with kind hearts and clever minds would always have bright eyes and dazzling smiles, and bad people would have scraggly hair and warty noses. That way if you saw one of them coming, you could cross to the other side of the street and avoid them altogether.
But this is not a proper world. In our world, many bad people look quite nice, and many good people are not beautiful at all. Many good people aren't pretty or cute or even interesting-looking.”
17 likes