Start by marking “Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)” as Want to Read:
Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)

Prince of the Elves

(Amulet #5)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  15,606 ratings  ·  1,057 reviews
THE ENEMY GROWS STRONGER...

Emily survived the chaos of the Guardian Academy, but Max Griffin has stolen the Mother Stone. With it, the Elf King forges new Amulets that will give him the power to invade and destroy the nation of Windsor. Emily and her friends lead the soldiers of the Cielis Guard in a fight to stop him, but Max stands in their way. And when she seeks inform
Published September 1st 2012 by Graphix

To ask other readers questions about Prince of the Elves, please sign up.

·  15,606 ratings  ·  1,057 reviews

Start your review of Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)
Brian Yahn
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Prince of the Elves is very polarizing.

On one side, it's a slow grind, with a lot of backflashes and exposition and not much to advance the story. That is to say, it breaks a lot of conventions for good storytelling.

But on the other side, it adds some much-needed depth to the characters. Max, who in the last issue appeared to be evil for no reason, now has some interesting motivations, and his internal struggle is engaging to read. Trelis and Luger seem like they're being setup for a very emotio
Calista
Just when I think there's nothing Kazu can possibly do that's new and top what's he's done, he finds a way to make it more awesome. This is a fantastic series. I enjoy this. The story is getting very complete and with every answer there are 2 more questions posed. I wonder how much longer this will go.

I really want to know the story of the stones and what is their backstory. Why are they trying to take over? There has to be a reason. How can they win? and where are they going? The odds seemed r
Cameron Chaney
Fortunately, volume 5 of The Amulet series improves on volume 4. Still not my favorite volume but much better. I'm excited for volume 6!
 molly ⋆
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This whole new storyline is so hard to follow!
Ferdy

Loved the Trellis and Max parts, their back stories and characters were so much more interesting than boring Emily's. The artwork was the best part again, the single page panels were great.
JohnnyBoy
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Even though this volume has been a bit slower than the other ones I soo loved it! As we go along it gets darker and better which i am a huge fan of that! Trellis is now my favorite character! And the art; stunning, brilliant, there are no words! Well, i am glad the mom wasn't in this one as much. I felt we needed the backstory it added another level to the series. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Jonathan Terrington

Things have moved from strength to strength in this volume. The artwork is beautifully edgy and yet still age appropriate for its young adult readership; the dialogue is better than previous novels (if not over the static, disjointed beginnings it started the series with); and the character development is impressive. In fact, when this series concludes I can't help but imagine that it would probably make a superior anime cartoon series or a digitally animated film to a graphic novel series.

The r
Faith M ✨
This series just keeps getting better, man
Selene
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Cathy
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm constantly amazed with Kibuishi's artistic skill. Downloaded an advanced reader copy of the book thanks to NetGalley (dancing with joy was involved) and lost my breath with the artwork on the opening pages. From the start, we follow a young Max and an elfin friend and see there's a bond between the two and for Max, a strong sense of justice and doing right. When Max's elfin friend and family is jailed, he rushes to the prison to set them free and, tragically, puts them in an aircraft that's ...more
Rachel
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I am so surprised that I'm giving this five stars, but when I look back, there was nothing that I did not enjoy about this book. I read it in one sitting I just couldn't put it down, the art was phenomenal, and the characters wow. We're getting so much more depth with them than I was expecting. Also this story is much darker than I was expecting at the beginning. I'm just loving this series and I can't wait to continue!
Jillian
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
these just keep getting better and better.
Christine
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a little darker than the earlier entries in the series. It is a very good entry and gives some good back story.
Ashley
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Fine. Let’s Play.
🤨

I LOVED this look into trellis’ life. Seeing the spirits of the stones up close and personal...
Leslie
Emily’s relationship with her stone has always been tenuous at best: could she trust it’s advice or no. Little did she realize that the fact her stone even speaks with her is a terrible sign. Stones were merely meant as conduits through which the Keeper’s may channel power. The only ones ever known to have spoken with their Keeper’s have led to bad ends. The already sinister presence of the Voice deepens substantially (and rather deliciously). The stakes of the game it and Emily play have height ...more
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {comatose with common sense}
I'm just waiting for my opponent to make a move.

Trellis, disgraced prince of the elves, joins Emily in training to fight his father for the mother stone and the dark magical forces advancing against them.

Their enemy is a time-skipping former student of the Guardian Council, and Emily and Trellis, both powerful but young stonekeepers, struggle to improve.
They've joined the ranks of a strong army, hoping they'll have enough power to stop their foes, which mount by the day.

An awakened warship c
Alain Burrese
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The fifth book of the series, “Amulet 5 Prince of the Elves” by Kazu Kibuishi, is a bit darker than previous books, but just as enjoyable with continued top notch artwork. I'm actually very glad my daughter insisted that I read these books too, because I actually enjoy the stories and then can talk with her about them.

This book picks up where the fourth left off and provides some back story on Max and continues the adventures Emily, her brother, mother, and new friends find themselves in. Unfort
Jacquelyn
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, this was my least favorite of the series. I was a little fuzzy on all that happened in volume 4 but I felt that there wasn't much of a recap on volume 4 and it just jumped right on in. I still loved the art style but the plot was just boring to me and I was just glad that it was quick. Although this one was a disappointment, I have really enjoyed volumes 1-4 so I most likely will continue despite the low rating of this particular volume. I wish I had enjoyed this one more but you ...more
Myndi
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had a little trouble staying into this edition of the Amulet series. Parts of it lost me a little bit and I found them hard to follow. I think I like Emily's part of the story more than Max or Trellis.

I am still really enjoying the artwork, it's very detailed and tells so much of the story without words. And I like that we're getting more information about the Stones and the Stonekeepers and the history of the war with the elves.

I'm looking forward to finding out what happens in the next book.
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was cool to see the change in this character referred to in the title and see each character deepen and mature as this excellent epic continues into its 5th volume. More greatness to come in Vol 6!
Tisha
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This one has bored me a bit and the story is getting pretty confusing! But I have to know what's gonna happen next. So, can't quit series at this point.

P.S. The illustrations are freaking awesome as always! They just soothe my eyes! *_*
Jaroda Goddard
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Reread July 2016

Read November 2014
Alexa
Tremendously enjoying this series! Even though I took a bit of a break between the 4th and this one, I never felt lost when I returned to the world. It's such a fun fantasy read!
Kristen
Slightly spoilery PSA!

Y'all probably know this already, but for anyone who doesn't: one of the many narrative tools a comic artist has at their disposal are panel borders. They can create panels of different shapes, sizes, etc. to aid in storytelling, and Kibuishi makes good use of that in this volume.
So! If you find yourself confused as to whether or not something is real or a dream or what-have-you, pay close attention to the panel borders.

I'm continuing to enjoy these, and am very glad to hav
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 5 stars
Art: 5 stars

Very creative children's full-color fantasy graphic novel series. Page-turning stories coupled with breath-taking art. Populated with fully realized characters and scary monsters. Both heroes and villains are multi-faceted, and sometimes change places.

In Book #5: Prince of the Elves, Emily discovers that the magic of the stones is a far more sinister and dangerous force than previously suspected.
Aryanamarin
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good!!!!!The only thing that was like " WOW " was when Emily and Max and some other man i forgot he's name but they are all stone-keepers and remember how i told u about the whole Max thing well they battled, it was awesome!!!!!! It was so cool because the stones were different colors and it looked cool. I really liked this book!
Edwin
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One the things that I love about this series is that the story doesn't feel rushed like other graphics novels that I've read. The art of this graphic novel is stunning. I found some of the backgrounds so soothing. Read it.
Taylor Ramirez
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the book of tragic backstories. We learn about Max’s and the elf prince’s. I really enjoyed this book, things are starting to get interesting. I guess Max really isn’t the bad guy it’s the voice thing. Onto the next one!
Mehnaz
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
There was action and excitement in this installment, but we did not get to see any of the problems resolved. It felt like a lot of things were happening without making much sense.

• Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #1)
  • Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer (Bone, #4)
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Bone, Vol. 8: Treasure Hunters (Bone, #8)
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Bone, Vol. 6: Old Man's Cave (Bone, #6)
  • Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race (Bone, #2)
  • Bone, Vol. 9: Crown of Horns (Bone #9)
  • Bone, Vol, 1: Out from Boneville (Bone, #1)
  • Bone, Vol. 3: Eyes of the Storm (Bone, #3)
  • Bone, Vol. 7: Ghost Circles (Bone, #7)
  • Ghostopolis
  • Sisters
  • Saving the Whole Wide World (Hilo, #2)
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl (Mighty Jack, #3; Zita the Spacegirl, #4)
  • Cardboard
  • The Great Big Boom (Hilo, #3)
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at ...more

Amulet (9 books)
  • The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)
  • The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2)
  • The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3)
  • The Last Council (Amulet, #4)
  • Escape from Lucien (Amulet, #6)
  • Firelight (Amulet, #7)