Start by marking “3 Below (Floors, #2)” as Want to Read:
3 Below (Floors, #2)

3 Below (Floors #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  829 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Charlie had his chocolate factory. Stanley Yelnats had his holes. Leo has the wacky, amazing Whippet Hotel.

Now that Leo has uncovered a few secrets behind the wacky Whippet Hotel, he'll have to save it!

Leo has explored the zany, wonderful Whippet Hotel from basement to top floor, with trains, flying goats, and mazes (among other things) in between. But even Leo doesn't kno
Published September 1st 2012 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about 3 Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 3 Below

Elevetha

The story felt forced, the characters flat, the burp jokes were getting very old (not to mention that I wouldn't let my little brother touch this book for fear of him burping non-stop for weeks), and it didn't have the same sense of fun and quirkiness as Floors, despite both of them taking place at the wonderful and whimsical Whippet Hotel.

From where I stand, it appears to be one of those series that could have easily, and probably for the better, have stood alone.
Nathan
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was a great book that had it's up's and down's. It kept me on my feet the way that they explain it it had a lot of detail in the surrounding like wen they where in the jungle ish room with the moncy. It gust was a god book for people that like to be on thar feet. All in all it is a great book for a lot of people.
Moriah Mason
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so fun to read that, if there had not been another one in the series to get to, I probably would have reread it again immediately. It was charming and adventurous, not too predictable, fun and imaginative, and phenomenally wacky in the best possible way.

The plot lagged very slightly in some places, some of the events felt a little bit like tropes instead of actual events, and I have never been a fan of the idea of foreshadowing excitement or danger by explicitly stating it in a "li
Mia
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book- it's goofy, strange, full of adventure, and a good quick read. The kids are smart but still make mistakes and act like a typical middle schooler would, which I always appreciate. I like the crazy things that happen in the hotel. Morganzer is becoming a favorite character of mine- he's like a happy hotel owner version of Willy wonka. He just doesn't punish the kids. ;) anyway, great clean fun series- I can't wait to start the next one.
Emyrose8
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh, this book fell a bit flat with me. It takes place a year after the first. There are a lot more burping jokes and the hotel was less whimsical. To me, it seemed disjointed and a bit forced at times. Still, if bodily function jokes aren't a turn-off (and you enjoyed the first), you should give this book a try.

Note: listened to the audio book
Scott
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Not nearly as good as the first book in the series. The boy is really given too much allowance in these books, yet the adults are dolts. This introduced us to some new characters in the floors below the hotel.
AMY
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 4-5
234 pages. Book 2 of the series is full of adventures, way-out science and even a new monkey friend. This book was fun and kids will enjoy reading about Leo and Remi’s adventures in the amazing Whippet Hotel. Highly recommended for grades 4-5.
Susan
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: slmta
Filled with many unexpected adventures and trials to overcome before the deadline when they will lose the hotel.
Traci
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cute next book. I look forward to the 3rd in the series.
Shaylyn
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is a very good and mysterious story
Tia
3 Below is book two in this awesome kids series about the Wacky Whippet Hotel. Leo and Remi start a new adventure that takes them 3 floors below the Whippet Hotel to strange and wonderful floors. Mr. W is of course up to providing Leo with a task he must handle that is never just straight to the point, and they end up learning something about themselves and others along the way.

It was a fun adventure, that was funny at times but always interesting, especially to my 2 and 4th graders. Perfect re
Sharon Tyler
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
3 Below is the second book in the Floors series by Patrick Carman. It is scheduled for release on September 1 2012. In Floors, Leo became the owner and manager of the amazing Whippet Hotel. There are strange and unusual guests, rooms, and elevators. There is also a resident duck and her hatchlings, not to mention the former employee that would love to take control of the hotel. Now, Leo's father and Remi's mother are off on their honeymoon and the boys are given the task of saving the hotel. Aga ...more
Jaina Rose
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Please don't read this review if you haven't read the first book, Floors. There are some unavoidable spoilers for it that I don't want to inadvertently force on someone reading this!

3 Below is just like Floors, except with more craziness, less of a storyline, and a big bang ending that mostly makes sense, but tries too hard to throw you for a big a loop as the last one did.
Anyone from the age of eight (or even some very smart kids younger than that) will like this book, but I can't really see ad
Ms. Yingling
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Remi and Leo's parents get married on the roof of the Whippet Hotel, and Merganzer Whippet show up to send them off on a honeymoon, conveniently leaving the boys alone to solve the current problem-- the hotel owes $700,000 in back taxes. Not a problem, as long as the boys are willing to undertake a dangerous journey to the sub floors of the hotel to retrieve four floogers, a zip rope, and the iron box. Since Ms. Sparks has returned with the grungy Mr. Carp and demanded the payment lest she herse ...more
Lana
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Floors #2 by Patrick Carman was not as good as Floors #1, but was still reasonable. It had some exciting parts to it, but didn't nearly strike me quite as magical as the first one. I'm still looking forward to reading the next one, though. Leo owns a hotel named the Whippet, which has tons of amazing rooms and floors, such as the cake room, the pinball machine room, and the room of rings. This book had more dangerous and dungeonous floors, and I think that the author was attempting to make this ...more
ACS Book-finder
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, creative, wonderfully descriptive and suspenseful!!! Leo and his friend Remi manage the wacky Whippet Hotel. The hotel, with its many floors of great fun, also contains mystery floors that Leo and Remi have not yet discovered. When Merganzer Whippet, the owner of the Whippet Hotel, discovers that the Whippet Hotel is dangerously in debt because "taxes have not been paid," he enlists the help of Leo & Remi to help "save the hotel." He gives them a list of items they must find and p ...more
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This falls into that "mysterious and weird things happen to kids" genre: the previous book sets up this one, where Leo is now the owner of the Whippet Hotel, an odder-than-normal hotel in New York. Odder than normal means that there are floors that don't appear where one would assume they do, the ducks on the roof have their own elevator, there's a double helix elevator, a puzzle room and many other wonders.

In this book, Leo and his best friend/new stepbrother Remi are asked by the former owner
Jackie
With The Whippet Hotel safely under the ownership of Leo and Remi (now brothers!), what could go wrong? Well....Mr. Merganzer D. Whippet had absentmindedly forgotten to pay the $7,000,000 real estate tax bill! Yikes! What to do? Well, Whippet sends Leo and Remi on a seemingly wild-goose chase to acquire the needed funds to pay the bill just in time. But, the added complication of evil Ms. Sparks secretly standing in the wings to take the hotel over once it goes into tax arrears is almost too muc ...more
mandyfujita
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the second book in the "Floors" series. Leo Fillmore is now the owner of the Whippet hotel, the crazy hotel that his father is currently in charge of maintenance. In this book his father and Pilar are getting married. They are sent on a one week honeymoon to get them out of the hotel so Leo and his friend Remi can go on another adventure for the former owner, Mr. Merganzer D Whippet.

Ms. Sparks who was the former hostess of the hotel is banned from the Whippet because she was trying to
Jessica
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
www.2thepointbooks.blogspot.com

4 stars

I read this book as a bedtime read-aloud to my 8-year-old son. He loved it, and couldn't wait for bedtime so I could read it to him. Since I got to read, and he stayed quiet for longer than 5 minutes, this was a win-win for all parties.

3 Below is Juvenile Fiction at its best - there are kids performing things that no responsible parents ever in a million years would let their kids do. No parental supervision at all, which I think is a kids' ultimate dream.

Th
Donna
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
FLOORS #2 , THREE BELOW

by Patrick Carman

published by Scholastic Inc.

available Sept 1,2012

This is an amazing book! A continuation of the wacky, zany world of Merganzer D. Whippet, and new brothers Leo and Remi. An old nemesis is attempting to overtake the Whippet hotel and the boys must save it from her evil clutches.

They encounter all sorts of crazy things, new floors of the hotel, subbasements and new people while on their quest. (The monkeys are the best)

Perfect book for middle graders, especi
Miss Pippi the Librarian
The Whippet Hotel is now under the ownership of young Leo Fillmore. Mr. Whippet passed his hotel to Leo, but failed to take care of some business. The hotel owes back taxes! Leo and Remy need to travel through undiscovered floors to find the money needed to pay the taxes or the hotel will be put up for auction.

Carman's second Floors novel continues where book ones ends. The characters remained strong and the new characters add extra flavor to the story. The new floors that Leo and Remy discovere
Naomi Campbell
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
I read this second book in the Floors series to Dustin, and he said it was definitely five stars; it was amazing! I did like this book better than Floors, the first book. We will promptly begin reading book three, the last in the series, and Dustin already said he's sorry that there's only three. I am curious to read book three too, because HOW will it end? Or will they leave us hanging? And...it has a Bible verse in the beginning of the book. I forget which one, but I wonder how that's going to ...more
April
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is such an incredible pleasure to return to the wacky world of the Whippet Hotel and it’s employees. 3 Below by Patrick Carman is the second book in the Floors series, but it is just as enjoyable as the first book, plus if you have not read the first book, it is not all that hard to follow, although I totally recommend you read Floors as well. Here’s the thing, if you are a kid or a grown up looking to re-capture that feeling of magic in a mostly ordinary world, you know the same feeling you ...more
Sara Thompson
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
After having so many less than stellar reads, this book was a relief. I can always count on Patrick Carmen to bring me a wonderful story with vibrant characters.
To be honest, I am unsure if I have read the first Floors but that didn't prevent me from enjoying this story. I felt connected to the characters and their tale as if I had just finished the first book.
The adventure Leo and Remi go on is a rollercoaster of fun. It has just enough suspense and "terror" to keep the reader on the edge of th
Shelley
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this a very fun book. This type of book would appeal to fans of Percy Jackson, The 39 Clues, and even those fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. The craziness of this hotel and its owners is something that every kid would enjoy. I found kids could relate to this easily especially because the boys are left in charge of the hotel after their parents get married. Unfortunately nothing goes right for them as soon as they are in charge. I found the character lively and engaging including the ...more
Elaine
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a nice sequel to the Floors. I'd probably give it 3.5 stars actually(if 1/2 stars were allowed), since I liked the first one a little better. It had another surprise twist at the end which I really liked. This one introduces some new floors of crazy, wacky rooms and Leo and Remy are sent on another set of missions which require them to explore new unknown areas of the hotel and discover some amazingly bizarre inventions and creatures. One drawback (but which really appealed to kids), wa ...more
Jaimie Engle
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another super silly adventure in the "Floors" series.

Carman takes the dreams of children, those that have not been impeded by the realities of being a grown up, and weaves them into his fun-filled stories. Lopsided hotels, drinks that make you burp endlessly, and rooms filled with elements of the imagination are all part of the Whippet Hotel, which surprisingly belongs to two boys (and maybe a duck or two).

I highly recommend this book for those who wished they lived in a world without boundaries
Jnase1
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
The second book in the Floors series packs just as much excitement in it as the first! Leo and Remi are left, once again, to save the Whippet Hotel from the clutches of the evil Ms.Sparks who can't wait to tear the building down once the boys fail to pay the taxes owed on the property. This time the boys explore the basement floors in the hotel,but just because they are below ground doesn't mean they aren't just as exciting as the crazy rooms in which guests in the Whippet get to reside. Readers ...more
  • In Harm's Way (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #4)
  • The Tell-Tale Start
  • Hollywood, Dead Ahead (43 Old Cemetery Road, #5)
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • The Pirate's Coin (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #3)
  • Frog, Where Are You?
  • Go for the Gold, Atalanta! (Myth-O-Mania, #8)
  • The Sea Serpent and Me
  • Stealing Air
  • Freestyle with Avery
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • April Adventure (Calendar Mysteries, #4)
  • Thomas and Percy and the Dragon (Thomas & Friends: Step into Reading)
  • Valentine Mice!
  • The Secret History of Tom Trueheart (Tom Trueheart, #1)
  • The Lonely Lake Monster (The Imaginary Veterinary, #2)
  • What We Found in the Sofa and How it Saved the World
  • Always October
I have been a lifelong writer and storyteller. Salem, Oregon is where I spent my formative years and I graduated from Willamette University. After college, I spent a decade living in Portland, Oregon where I worked in advertising, game design, and technology.

I've written young adult and children's books for Scholastic, Little Brown Books For Young Readers and Katherine Tegen Books/ HarperCollins P
More about Patrick Carman

Floors (3 books)
  • Floors
  • The Field of Wacky Inventions (Floors #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)