Start by marking “Drama” as Want to Read:
Drama

Drama

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  54,854 Ratings  ·  4,303 Reviews
PLACES, EVERYONE!

Callie loves theater. And while she would totally try out for her middle school's production of Moon Over Mississippi, she can't really sing. Instead she's the set designer for the drama department stage crew, and this year she's determined to create a set worthy of Broadway on a middle-school budget. But how can she, when she doesn't know much about carpe
Published September 1st 2012 by Graphix

To ask other readers questions about Drama, please sign up.
Tallulah Gonsky i disagree with melissa. this book is an easier way for youngish kids to start understanding more about homosexuality because even though there are…morei disagree with melissa. this book is an easier way for youngish kids to start understanding more about homosexuality because even though there are homosexual characters, the book isn't about them, so kids can start to understand that homosexual people are part of life and that they are just like everyone else, and deserve to be treated the same. (less)

Shannon
It might be difficult to tell from the page count, but this is actually a graphic novel. I took this with me to the gym today, I've been going to the gym regularly for the first time in my life to try to correct some injuries instead of succumbing to surgery and I wanted to try to read while exercising. So I thought I'd bring something easy that didn't require a lot of concentration since they play music in the gym and I normally can't read if I hear music with words, but there was just enough a ...more
Nat
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I went into this graphic novel a bit wary, since I had read Telgemeier's Smile and wasn't the biggest fan... But with this newest addition I was ecstatic to find that Drama was nothing like I'd anticipated.

Drama 8-- bookspoils
Callie loves theater. And while she would totally try out for her middle school's production of Moon Over Mississippi, she can't really sing. Instead she's the set designer for the drama department stage crew, and this year she's determined to create a set worthy of Broadway on a middle-schoo
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3 stars

Callie is a middle school girl who loves theater, ever since she was a little girl. So when she finds out her school is putting on a production of he famous show Moon Over Mississippi she is ecstatic. Not a good singer or actress, she becomes a part of the production crew as the set designer. Along the way her best friend becomes in charge of costuming and her new friend gets a great roll in the play. Pretty soon her personal life and the play life becomes intertwined for everyone, and
Kellee
Raina Telgemeier does it again. She has a knack for telling a serious yet humorous story with colorful, fun artwork. I loved her main character Callie- she was a very real 7th grade girl. I also loved that this book was not about the lead actress in a musical- it was about the stage crew (though some actors did play a part). Raina also does a wonderful job at introducing middle school boys who are questioning their sexuality in an unbiased, nonjudgmental way. It is completely appropriate for mid ...more
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it

Guest Post by Addie, my 9-year-old daughter

DRAMA is about girl named Callie who is in a acting class at school. She likes a boy who finds out he is gay in acting class. Callie loves to read acting books at the library. In this book Callie is a set designer and at the end of the she becomes the stage manager.

I would recommend this book to my friends because I think they would like it. Callie learns about gay people and how she can still be friends with them.

My reaction: Well, I guess I probably s
Estelle
Review originally posted on RatherBeReadingBlog.com:

I am absolutely giddy in love with Raina Telgemeier’s work.

Drama is the first graphic novel I’ve ever read and while it only took me about an hour to get through it, I couldn’t stop going back and smiling over the details in these colorful scenes and how perfectly Raina has been able to capture the middle school experience.

And for the theater lovers, finally: a book that celebrates those dear people who work on the stage crew, the kookiness tha
Jeff
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was something that you can really connect to! Callie is a normal teen that deals with typical boy drama along with handling a romantic play. However, if you want some advice for boy drama, I wouldn't go to her if I were you. :)
Jenna
I'm not someone who Googles old acquaintances much; I tend to leave the past in the past, and I'm also a bit of a digital recluse. (Who am I kidding: a bit of a recluse in general!) By this I mean that I never got much into Facebook and have limited myself to only dabbling in other platforms. GR is pretty much the only mechanism I regularly use to virtually interact with others, and I like it because it's focused precisely on the literary aspects of life rather than, you know, All Of Life.

Noneth
K.
This has consistently been one of the most popular graphic novels for middle graders in every school library I've worked in. It's fun, it's an interesting story, and the art is great.

Essentially, it's the story of a year 7 kid who's working on the set design for the school play. Along the way, she makes new friends, overcomes obstacles in her vision for the play, and struggle buses her way through friendships and crushes.

I loved the fact that it's a middle grade graphic novel with LGBTQIA repr
Marie the Librarian
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay im officially a Raina Telgemeier fan. Her stories and characters and illustrations are sooo good and relateable. Down to earth and realistic. And so cute.
Julie
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
The Summer of the Graphic Novel continues at our house. . .

I love the bold and playful illustrations in this one (some might call the artwork. . . dramatic?) and Callie is my personal favorite so far of all of Telgemeier's characters.

Our son graduated from a high school that has a drama program that you just would NOT believe. Every show we have attended has been at "off Broadway" standards, and several of his peers have gone on to pursue Broadway and/or a serious study of music at Berklee, so
Mike
I'll be honest: the only reason I read this book was that I heard it had a gay character.

That's not something I'd normally do; I have no problems with gay characters in books, but I don't normally go out of my way to look for them. What made this book different was that it was a middle-grade book, meant for kids as young as second grade. I didn't know such a book existed, let alone one published by Scholastic. After I heard about Katherine Applegate and Michael Grant's story with Remnatns, I sor
Lola  Reviewer
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This is my fifth book from Raina Telgemeier, so I’m familiar with her style. That said, I find this book to be the weakest, less captivating and most dramatic graphic novel she’s written/illustrated.

Drama is to be expected. After all, the title is literally DRAMA. So I did expect it and was able to tolerate it – Actually, in many cases, drama can make a story more interesting. If I’m watching Grey’s Anatomy, it’s not because the medical cases are so darn fun.

It’s because of the drama. But unfor
Mark
Still just as outstanding on a reread. Funny, fast read, with great artwork, and a strong message.

Raina Telgemeir, whose SMILE was such a fantastic middle-grade memoir, returns to the middle school hallways with this graphic novel. Callie, a 7th grade theater geek and stage techie, is in charge of set design for her school’s spring musical, MOON OVER MISSISSIPPI. Callie’s comfortable in her role in the crew (she learned long ago that her voice would never win her a leading role), and she loves w
Leila T.
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am currently reading Drama by Raina Telegemeier. So far I think the theme of the book is to follow your dreams and never give up. I think this because so far in the book the characters have all been doing what they love and is their dream like, if they wanted to be quarter back on the football team then the character would go to football tryouts and if they wanted to play violin they would audition for orchestra. One example from the book is right when sign-ups are posted for the school play s ...more
Claire
LOVE. Cannot say this enough, and a longer, more pithy review will be coming soon, but I want to see this one in EVERY. SINGLE. LIBRARY. Multiple copies. Elementary, middle, high school, public, I want it there. And Rainbow Committee, COLAGE, Our Family Coalition, GSA Network, GLSEN, I want this on every book list, you'd be idiots not to.

Every so often I just want to gush thanks and praise at an author, and I am totally there with this one right now.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun behind the scenes look at being a backstage drama nerd in junior high (although this felt more like high school to me). Callie is a very appealing young woman with a passion for set design. I love that she is more concerned about getting the prop cannon to work than she is about finding a boyfriend, although she does have a crush.

Just the right amount of twists, a dash of teenage embarrassment, and lots of humor. Especially recommended for theater kids.
Ivan
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
i'm still trash for this book
Emily O
Nov 01, 2016 added it
Shelves: second-9-weeks
Drama is another Graphic Novel I've loved. You can't even imagine what Callie (Main Character) was going threw. Callie loves theater. She always has. But when her school decided to put on the play Moon Over Mississippi they have many singing parts. Callie is not great at singing, so she doesn't think she will make the part she wanted. Instead of taking part in the play, she decided to be the set designer. Callie also has a budget to work around. She is determined to make the best set under budge ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, graphic-novel, lgbt
As a huge fan of SMILE and Raina Telgemeier, I was excited to read DRAMA and thankful that I was able to pick up an ARC at ALA. I was also thrilled to meet both Raina and her husband Dave at ALA. And I think it was Raina who said that DRAMA is a little like "GLEE for Middle School". I think that is an apt comparison. Raina's humor and ability to celebrate the day to day stuff in the lives of tweens to young teens is remarkable. DRAMA focuses more on the behind the scenes folks of the Drama club ...more
Ambrossia
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Drama is one of my favorite books because it shows that being gay is ok. Also that you don't need to keep it a secret from all of your friends.
If one of your friends are feeling down ask them what's wrong. This book shows that things change between friends. Being gay isn't bad it's not wrong to like the Same sex. Same sex is ok some people like the same sex some don't.
Eve
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2014
This book had more romantic twists than an episode of My So-Called Life! Being the drama kid that I was, I wish this had been centered more on the middle school stage production. It also felt rushed and 2-D, which is how I felt about Stitches. Oh well, I'm still a Telgemeir fan.
Liza
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Honestly wanted to give this book three stars, but when I saw all the concern-trolling reviews, I gave it four. Many little kids have parents/cousins/aunts/uncles/grandparents/family friends/whatever in same-gender relationships. "Drama" is by NO MEANS an inappropriate read for any elementary school kid. If you think so, then you best be banning books depicting opposite-gender romances. My nine-year-old niece read this after we both read "Smile" and she loved it but warned me that "Some people t ...more
Barbara
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Raina Telgemeier describes middle school life in ways that make me realize how much it's changed since I taught that age over 2 decades ago. Even my son's middle school didn't have these kinds of drama productions, but what fun it is to see these kids do it. Telgemeier is very popular among pre-teens and her graphic novels explore profound topics in a straightforward way.

In this book Callie is struggling with one crush, then another. She becomes friends with twin brothers Justin and Jesse. Just
LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)-- on hiatus :(
Cute, and funny. I was on stage crew at my school for years, and I totally wish we got to do all the cool things in Drama! A few things were kind of unrealistic- ex. in middle school they usually don't show characters kissing on stage- but I still liked it.
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
(3.5 stars) Super cute, an unexpected ending, and colorful, fun art!
Shelby
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! This is unusual for me to read a book in one day. It very often where I finished a book in a day. This book is really good.
Seth T.
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Drama by Raina Telgemeier
[Looking back over my shoulder / I can see that look in your eye
Turning my heart over and over / I never wanted to say goodbye]

Raina Telgemeier's Drama has been reaping a handy collection of end of the year awards, both physical (I presume) and abstract (crafted of the finest internet points!). Publishers Weekly, Washington Post, New York Times. Booklist, NPR, School Library Journal. They all loved it. In the realm of young adult graphic lit, it's been a good year for Drama.

Which made me feel s
Hannah M.
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Normally I don't like graphic novels too much, but this book was so good! I expected it to be really cliche honestly, but it really wasn't. The art was super good, and I fully understood the plot. I loved the characters (well except for two, but you weren't supposed to like them anyway), and they were so well written. I really enjoyed this book overall!
Tiffy_Reads
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this cute graphic novel. It felt like it took me right back to 8th grade. Super cute and fun!
ELIT 630: Controversial/Challenged Books #2 1 3 Jun 05, 2018 03:33PM
review 3 2 7 Mar 06, 2018 12:39PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Drama 1 2 Aug 21, 2017 07:57PM
  • Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller
  • Will & Whit
  • Roller Girl
  • Babymouse for President (Babymouse #16)
  • Friends With Boys
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • The Dumbest Idea Ever!
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)
  • Tina's Mouth: An Existential Comic Diary
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans
  • Americus
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever #2)
  • Donner Dinner Party (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #3)
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
  • Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99