Jump to ratings and reviews

How Do Dinosaurs...?

How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?

With more than 9 million books in print, America's favorite dinosaurs can't wait to celebrate Chanukah!

From the warm glow of holiday candles in the menorah to the fun of family gatherings, little dinosaurs love to celebrate the Festival of Lights. But sometimes the excitement of Chanukah, its treasured rituals, and the tradition of gifts can tempt a youngster to misbehave. . . .

Come along on a joyful romp filled with tumbling dreidels and melting gelt as America's favorite prehistoric pals spread a little mischief this season. Children will laugh out loud as dinosaurs fidget, fuss, and stomp through every occasion, while their human parents shift from shock to weary patience.

Filled with warmth and cheer, this new book by the bestselling team of Jane Yolen and Mark Teague makes a perfect gift to be read again and again, year after year. How do dinosaurs say Happy Chanukah? The same way they say Merry Christmas: With an abundance of love, joy, memory, and gratitude.

40 pages, Hardcover

First published September 1, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jane Yolen

885 books2,873 followers
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Born and raised in New York City, the mother of three and the grandmother of six, Yolen lives in Massachusetts and St. Andrews, Scotland.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
16 (3%)
1 star
3 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 55 reviews
Profile Image for Melissa.
776 reviews66 followers
January 25, 2013
You know, they're still really good at this.

Plus SUPER BONUS POINTS for coming out with both a Hanukkah AND a Christmas holiday book. Why don't more picture book series do this?
Profile Image for Chinook.
2,239 reviews19 followers
December 13, 2019
Maddie loves dinosaurs and I love books about holidays that we don’t personally celebrate, but her friends and classmates might.
Profile Image for Carlizard.
31 reviews15 followers
December 31, 2019
The "How Do Dinosaurs ..." series is wonderful. The illustrations are so beautifully done, each dinosaur is bright, colorful and the expressions on their faces are brilliant! I love this entire series and it is popular at the library where I work. The stories all start with questions about a dinosaurs behavior whether is it in the classroom, at the doctor's office, or in this case, celebrating the holidays. The dinosaur shows off a handful of ways to do things wrong followed by the answer "no" and a list of the correct ways the dinosaur behaves. These stories are cute, funny and engaging. I absolutely adore Jane Yolen's work.
Profile Image for Julie Zwyer.
23 reviews1 follower
November 13, 2020
I found this at my Goodwill. I love the rhyming! Probably would be best suited for my children one day.
Profile Image for Suzanne Lorraine Kunz Williams.
1,783 reviews7 followers
June 23, 2017
Thanks Jane Yolen for having books about celebrating Christmas and books about celebrating Chanukah! We love celebrating both holy days! And your books add to the celebration! A great book with some ideas on how to celebrate Chanukah and how not to celebrate Chanukah.

**Talking points - What are your favorite things about Chanukah? Is there anything you would add to the way you celebrate it?
1,978 reviews
January 4, 2020
I was unfamiliar with this series but luckily it was on display at the library right when I was looking for books about Hanukkah and for books about dinosaurs, so this seemed perfect. I wasn't a huge fan of the format of going through everything NOT to do, but otherwise I liked this book and it was a hit with my 4 year old and guests.
Profile Image for Ryan.
4,371 reviews22 followers
July 31, 2018
This is a series that has been around for a while. Why, because it has staying power. Each book takes a topic, and uses asked questions to illustrate what not to do, and then follows up with modeled good behavior. And all done around dinosaurs as children.
Profile Image for Joseph Crupper.
178 reviews2 followers
December 17, 2018
This was a much appreciated holiday edition of Yolen and Teague’s popular series. I read it to the kids at reading time, and I’m hoping that it was a fun way to learn about a holiday that doesn’t get a lot of notice this season.
Profile Image for Marrin.
61 reviews3 followers
Read
December 23, 2021
Art - 1/1 - not sweet, but realistic

Endpages have realistic dino art with Chanukah accoutrement.

Every page has a different dinosaur and they're identified within the art a la an artist's signature

Bubbie Zaida

Family is white, masc/femme pairs of parents and grandparents, men in kippot
Profile Image for Rachel.
1,554 reviews51 followers
December 14, 2022
I love Jane Yolen books....and dinosaurs :)

I totally bought this for my besties and her lil son/my nephew, even though they aren't Jewish, I like him having some stuff about his auntie's religion too! Very cute and sweet and adding to his dino book collection! Worth it!
Profile Image for Ember Air.
548 reviews14 followers
January 6, 2020
This was cute, but not amazing. I love seeing Chanukah represented in children's lit and did enjoy this, but will not be seeking out the rest of the series.
Profile Image for Lucinda Rose.
Author 2 books9 followers
December 6, 2021
A delightful book. I brought this for a fellow teacher for Chanuakah and couldn't resist reading before presenting it to her.
Profile Image for Nancye.
324 reviews1 follower
March 21, 2017
Read this with my 2nd grade reading buddy today. She read it first, but then I read it to her so she could hear how it flows. Cute story with information about the holiday that she did not know. The highlight for her though was that there is a character named Zaida and that is her name.
Profile Image for Emily.
339 reviews2 followers
September 7, 2020
Ages 3 and up. A funny book with hilarious illustrations that has a dinosaur making all the mischief a child might during Chanukah celebrations: blowing out the candles, hoarding all the chocolate gelt till it melts in his claws. Kids will laugh and easily identify.
Profile Image for Steven R. McEvoy.
2,946 reviews97 followers
January 4, 2023
Since the first book in 2000 the 'How Do Dinosaurs Say …?' series has been very popular. In 2012 two new books are being added to the others in the series and they should both be great fun for readers of all ages. Across the series more than 14 million books have been sold and brought together laughter, learning and fun to children around the world.

The first part of the book is a series of questions about what a dinosaur should not do while celebrating this Jewish feast. The second half of the story is what a good dinosaur should do to observe the holiday. The oversized picture books are filled with amazing illustrations, and brightly colored dinosaurs of all shapes and sizes; in fact every 2-page spread has a different dinosaur. Yolen and Teague have done a great job with the book and we look forward to reading more of them together as a family.

Read the review on my blog Book Reviews and More.
Profile Image for Christine Turner.
3,563 reviews47 followers
December 3, 2012
Little dinosaurs love to celebrate the Festival of Lights, from the warm glow of holiday candles in the menorah to the fun of family gatherings. But sometimes the excitement of Chanukah, its treasured rituals, and the tradition of gifts can tempt a youngster to misbehave.... Come along on a joyful romp filled with tumbling dreidels and melting gelt as America's favorite prehistoric pals spread a little mischief this season.

Children will laugh out loud as dinosaurs fidget, fuss, and stomp through every occasion, while their human parents shift from shock to weary patience. Filled with warmth and cheer, this new book by the bestselling team of Jane Yolen and Mark Teague makes a perfect gift to be read again and again, year after year.

This book works well for storytime.
Profile Image for Margo Tanenbaum.
785 reviews21 followers
December 14, 2012
Those fabulous dinosaurs obviously come from a multicultural home, since this year the celebrated author and illustrator team have released both a Christmas and Chanukah title featuring the adorable dinosaurs of How do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? and so many other beloved picture books and board books. Toddlers and preschoolers will surely giggle to see their favorite dinosaurs being mischievous and squeezing the Chanukah gelt (chocolate coins), fidgeting during prayers, and more. Of course they eventually learn the proper way to behave, and how to enjoy the holiday as well. This is a great one to read aloud to younger children, or to purchase as a Hanukkah gift.
Profile Image for Molly.
2,178 reviews
October 20, 2020
In this installment of "How Do Dinosaurs...?," the book imagines different ways a dinosaur might act up and disturb Chanukah celebrations, but then explains that dinosaurs are actually model guests at the the festivities helping out, sharing and participating. This is a really good book about the best ways to behave as a guest, in particular, at Chanukah celebrations. I like that Yolen has a book in this series for both Christmas and Chanukah. It feels more inclusive. Dinosaur fans will be sure to enjoy this.
Profile Image for Arlene Allen.
1,315 reviews19 followers
September 19, 2012
This one gets the extra star for being a clever, fun and much needed picture book for Chanukah story times. There is a dearth of age appropriate books and one based in a popular series phenomena is especially welcomed. When I was a children's librarian, I never had enough, especially on the younger end, to read for Chanukah! (I just wish there'd been a dinosaur in a yarmulke - that would have been priceless!)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 55 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.