Start by marking “How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?” as Want to Read:
How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?

How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?

(How Do Dinosaurs...?)

With more than 9 million books in print, America's favorite dinosaurs can't wait to celebrate Chanukah!

From the warm glow of holiday candles in the menorah to the fun of family gatherings, little dinosaurs love to celebrate the Festival of Lights. But sometimes the excitement of Chanukah, its treasured rituals, and the tradition of gifts can tempt a youngster to misbehave.
Published September 1st 2012 by The Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?

The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane YolenBriar Rose by Jane YolenGirl in a Cage by Jane YolenOwl Moon by Jane YolenSister Light, Sister Dark by Jane Yolen
The Best of Jane Yolen
119 books — 18 voters
The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreA Charlie Brown Christmas by Charles M. SchulzLetters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. TolkienA Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan ThomasTwelfth Night by William Shakespeare
Holidays
578 books — 242 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?
Melissa
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
You know, they're still really good at this.

Plus SUPER BONUS POINTS for coming out with both a Hanukkah AND a Christmas holiday book. Why don't more picture book series do this?
Chinook
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Maddie loves dinosaurs and I love books about holidays that we don’t personally celebrate, but her friends and classmates might.
Samantha
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A child ran off with this book after story time. I think it was a hit.
Julia
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A Hanukah picture book, which aren’t all that common, yes, with dinosaurs.
Carlizard
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit-to-love
The "How Do Dinosaurs ..." series is wonderful. The illustrations are so beautifully done, each dinosaur is bright, colorful and the expressions on their faces are brilliant! I love this entire series and it is popular at the library where I work. The stories all start with questions about a dinosaurs behavior whether is it in the classroom, at the doctor's office, or in this case, celebrating the holidays. The dinosaur shows off a handful of ways to do things wrong followed by the answer "no" ...more
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Thanks Jane Yolen for having books about celebrating Christmas and books about celebrating Chanukah! We love celebrating both holy days! And your books add to the celebration! A great book with some ideas on how to celebrate Chanukah and how not to celebrate Chanukah.

**Talking points - What are your favorite things about Chanukah? Is there anything you would add to the way you celebrate it?
Sadina Shawver
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Yolen's How do Dinosaurs... series. While, I was surprised to find my own culture represented, I was even more delighted by the page with the Ankylosaurus. I definitely remember the strict talking to we all got about the importance of not blowing out the candles at Chaunkah or Shabbat. This page alone fondly summarizes my childhood memories of my family's traditions. All young children are a little cheeky and it's fun to remember those moments amidst the solemnity of the holiday.
Lisa
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-and-g
I was unfamiliar with this series but luckily it was on display at the library right when I was looking for books about Hanukkah and for books about dinosaurs, so this seemed perfect. I wasn't a huge fan of the format of going through everything NOT to do, but otherwise I liked this book and it was a hit with my 4 year old and guests.
Ryan
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a series that has been around for a while. Why, because it has staying power. Each book takes a topic, and uses asked questions to illustrate what not to do, and then follows up with modeled good behavior. And all done around dinosaurs as children.
Joseph Crupper
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a much appreciated holiday edition of Yolen and Teague’s popular series. I read it to the kids at reading time, and I’m hoping that it was a fun way to learn about a holiday that doesn’t get a lot of notice this season.
Morlando K
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
Both my children and my students love the How do dinosaur books!
Keith
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-books
Simple. Kid likes it. Nice fast read before bed.
Wendy
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrenslit, fun, holiday
A good toddler book shows good behavior and introduction Chanukah.
Michelle
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
An odd concept but it teaches kids about Hanukkah
Air
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This was cute, but not amazing. I love seeing Chanukah represented in children's lit and did enjoy this, but will not be seeking out the rest of the series.
Nancye
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this with my 2nd grade reading buddy today. She read it first, but then I read it to her so she could hear how it flows. Cute story with information about the holiday that she did not know. The highlight for her though was that there is a character named Zaida and that is her name.
Steven R. McEvoy
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Since the first book in 2000 the 'How Do Dinosaurs Say …?' series has been very popular. In 2012 two new books are being added to the others in the series and they should both be great fun for readers of all ages. Across the series more than 14 million books have been sold and brought together laughter, learning and fun to children around the world.

The first part of the book is a series of questions about what a dinosaur should not do while celebrating this Jewish feast. The second half of the
Christine Turner
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday
Little dinosaurs love to celebrate the Festival of Lights, from the warm glow of holiday candles in the menorah to the fun of family gatherings. But sometimes the excitement of Chanukah, its treasured rituals, and the tradition of gifts can tempt a youngster to misbehave.... Come along on a joyful romp filled with tumbling dreidels and melting gelt as America's favorite prehistoric pals spread a little mischief this season.

Children will laugh out loud as dinosaurs fidget, fuss, and stomp
Margo Tanenbaum
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Those fabulous dinosaurs obviously come from a multicultural home, since this year the celebrated author and illustrator team have released both a Christmas and Chanukah title featuring the adorable dinosaurs of How do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? and so many other beloved picture books and board books. Toddlers and preschoolers will surely giggle to see their favorite dinosaurs being mischievous and squeezing the Chanukah gelt (chocolate coins), fidgeting during prayers, and more. Of course they ...more
Arlene Allen
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This one gets the extra star for being a clever, fun and much needed picture book for Chanukah story times. There is a dearth of age appropriate books and one based in a popular series phenomena is especially welcomed. When I was a children's librarian, I never had enough, especially on the younger end, to read for Chanukah! (I just wish there'd been a dinosaur in a yarmulke - that would have been priceless!)
Monica A
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I am not all that fascinated with Dinosaurs, but I think this would really capture the attention of children, especially young boys. This book comes from a series called "How Do Dinosaurs Say...?" and I thought it was nice that this one is about Chanukah. After all, there are plenty of books about Christmas and not much about Chanukah. I would recommend this book to young readers and especially boys who would find much interest in wonderful illustrations.
Alice
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I am not a dinosaur fanatic, don't really see what is so exciting about them, but I do like Chanukah and so I liked this book. Kids (especially boys) will love this book. The pictures are stunning and labeled as to which dinosaur they are. As I don't love dinosaurs all that much, I can't say it is the most exciting wonderful book I have ever read, but I liked it enough to recommend it to the kids that come in looking for dinosaurs book!
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Once again I am pleased with the "How do Dinosaurs" books. Jane Yolen is just brilliant. And the illustrations by Mark Teague, they just make me want to be part of a dinosaur family.
Kyle
Feb 15, 2016 marked it as to-read
Peacegal
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
The story is predictable if you've read other DINOSAURS books, but the illustrations are an absolute laugh-out-loud delight. I love the increasingly bizarre dinosaurs this series is digging up (pun intended).
RC
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Even good little dinosaurs misbehave during the holidays. In How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?, the story illustrates what the dinosaur could and couldn't do but he behaves during the eight nights of Chanukah and enjoys all of the traditional Chanukah activities.
Samantha
Rhyming text shows dinosaurs celebrating Hanukkah with manners and good behavior. I liked the use of terms and the way the illustrations help readers understand the meanings. Great seasonal read aloud for PreK-2.
The Badger
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love these dinosaur books. When I have "book-dates" with younger students for good behavior, I may possibly maybe sort of kind of lead them towards either the dinosaur books or the Skippy John Jones books.
Shelli
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
These "How do Dinosaurs Series" is one of my favorite. Jane Yolen and Mark Teague collaborate brilliantly to make these exciting and colorful reads for young readers. This one talks about many of the Chanukah traditions and symbols. However you do not have to be Jewish to understand or enjoy.
Angie
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
In the tradition of How do Dinosaurs...Jane Yolen focuses on Chanukah with this title.

• All-of-a-Kind Family Hanukkah
  • Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Way Too Many Latkes: A Hanukkah in Chelm
  • Home in the Woods
  • The Thank You Book (Elephant & Piggie, #25)
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • From a Small Seed―The Story of Eliza Hamilton
  • All Fall Down
  • Birdsong
  • Take a Look, Bunny
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in ...more

How Do Dinosaurs...? (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?