Start by marking “Claws” as Want to Read:

Claws

In a contemporary fairytale as irresistible as catnip, one girl discovers that some magic cuts deep... Emma's sister is missing. Her parents have spent all their savings on the search. And now the family has no choice but to live in a ramshackle trailer park on the edge of the forest, next door to down-and-out harpies, hags, and trolls. Emma wonders if she'll ever see Hele ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Chicken House (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Claws, please sign up.
Azlurete Forest From what I've heard, no. Mike and Rachel Grinti, the authors of this book, have moved on to writing a different novel, which is currently out. This s…moreFrom what I've heard, no. Mike and Rachel Grinti, the authors of this book, have moved on to writing a different novel, which is currently out. This signifies that they are moving away from Claws. However, I could be wrong, and if I am wrong, I would be overjoyed because I dearly enjoyed this book and want more content.(less)
Angelina The only other books by these authors are Jala's Mask. It doesn't have much relation to this book, but a book I would recommend that is a bit similar …moreThe only other books by these authors are Jala's Mask. It doesn't have much relation to this book, but a book I would recommend that is a bit similar to this book is Into the Wild by Erin Hunter. It deals with this same subject of cats. (less)

Start your review of Claws
Anna Kļaviņa
4.5
When I borrowed this book from a library looking for an easy & quick read I didn't expect that I will be hooked. What a pleasant surprise!

Set in a world that is very familiar to ours, (think of Alternative Universe) with one major difference magic and magical creatures (and magical persons) are real and live with humans. Emma's world is a bit too much similar with ours and that the main reason why I can't give 5 stars. I will explain why. In a world where magical creatures are real and live
Kayla
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While in October, I am usually in the mood to only read scary/supernatural books. This year, I decided to start with Claws. I've had it on my TBR for several years now, and I've been wanting to read it but I haven't had time. After reading it, I thought it was an okay book.

My problem with the book that made it just okay to read was that the beginning was so slow. It didn't capture my interest at all at first. It took about seventy or so pages to get to the point where I didn't want to constantly
Ajay
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was very intriguing and I only rated this book 4 stars is because I didn't like when Emma figured out fairies were disgusting little creatures
Shanshad Whelan
This is one of those surprising books that didn't go quite as I expected. Most middle grade fantasy fic I'm familiar with tends to take place in a purely fantasy world (often with castles and pseudo medieval settings) for instance The Star Shard or it takes place in a modern world where fantasy is unexpected but shows up like: Cold Cereal. But rarely have I seen this contemporary urban fantasy setting that is fairly common in adult fiction in stories for kids.

Emma and her parents have just moved
Alley Kat
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In order to find her missing sister, Emma must trust Jack, a one eyed, magic-less cat and become leader of the forest cats. On top of this she must deal with her newly judgmental friend and school bullies.

I've been wanting to read this book for months. My library didn't have it so I just bought it on my nook. Then I could never find time to read it. Finally, I had an excuse. So today, I sat down, powered up my nook, and I read this book. Now this was a very good book. It was beautifully written,
Max
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the action, and the world a lot. I thought it was cool that people new about the enchanted creatures. I did miss the humor and romance in this book. I feel like it was lacking those two things a lot. I did enjoy Emma's character and how she thought. Definitely a good quick paced fantasy read.
Reving
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! Truly. It is fantasy, but I didn't get lost. The characters were truly charming and I am totally going to marry Jack. I mean it. Hands off! He is my man! :) :) I can't wait for the next one!!!!!
Cynthia Parkhill
Emma, a young girl, occupies a world very much like our own -- except that creatures of mythology exist as second-class citizens, lumped together by the slang term "Crag."

Emma's family has been in upheaval since her older sister went missing; her father sacrificed his career as a chef to pursue any possible leads into Helena's disappearance.

The family has moved to a trailer park inhabited by various enchanted creatures, and shortly after their arrival, Emma meets a cat named Jack. He has a plan
Avry15
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the cover of CLAW, it's simple, it's magical, it says everything of what the book is. I especially enjoyed the facts given in every chapter about cats, witches and other supernatural being from CragWiki.

I enjoyed the diverse cast. Emma is clever, likable, real, independent and fearless. Jack is funny, charming and a rogue. I enjoyed the talking animals; how they retain they're behaviors while being magical; the descriptions of each of them, which I found fascinating.

At first, you'll th
CuteBadger
In modern-day America where magical creatures of many kinds roam (some of them dangerous to humans)Emma's older sister Helena has gone missing. Their parents will do anything to find her, even move into a rundown trailer park next to where the crags (magical beings) hang out. The first sign that anything is different is the talking cat who already lives in their trailer. Before long Emma is up to her neck in magic and danger, determined to find her sister.

I'm far from being the target audience f
Kassidy
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hi!
How are you?
Oh, I'm good thanks!
Since I finished my book, I would rate it a **** out of 5 Claws book's. I rate it a 4 because at times this book gets a little boring but, sometimes you just have to keep reading and the book will slow start getting better.
That's my opinion on a book called Claws!
Bye_For_Now!
It may be "the best book EVER" for a 9 year old, but not so much for her mom.
Alina
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
onea my favorite books
Jordan
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It. Was. Amazing bruh.
Shelli
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a first book from this couple, this story had great potential. The idea of a very dangerous modern world where humans live alongside fantasy creatures has been done many times before, but not often quite like this. I really like the idea of rat-like creatures hacking people's cellphones and an online fantasy creature wiki called "CragWiki.org."

My biggest issue with the book is that it seems like so many things established in the first half are never followed up on, or never developed. At one
Stefanie
I think this novel is somewhere between childrens and young adult. The narrator and story in general made me feel this way. The narrator is twelve-year-old Emma, whose sister has gone missing. Now Emma and her family have moved to a trailer park full of magical creatures, where she also meets cat Jack. And he is willing to help her find her sister, which leads to a great adventure filled with cats, interesting magical creatures that are fun to read about (both with good and bad intentions, and b ...more
Amanda Hammersmark
The book I chose to read this October was Claws by Mike and Rachel Grinti. Overall, this is an amazing book. It is about a girl named Emma, whose parents give up everything to find her sister, Helena. Her parents have spent their life savings on a missing persons search. They soon have no choice but to downgrade to a beaten trailer park on the edge of a forest. When Emma finds a new furry friend in the vents of her room, she believes that cat magic might solve her family's crisis.

My personal opi
Angelina
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

Claws was a very...interesting book. It's a book about Emma who has just moved into a trailer in a forest full of magical creatures because her sister, Helena has gone missing. While she is there, she meets a cat named Jack who helps her find her sister.

Honestly, the book never really caught my attention and I had doubts that I wouldn't like it. The beginning was very boring and...blah. I feel like the authors created a very poor fantasy landscape and never really described anything wi
Gina (My Precious Blog)
Full Review/Discussion @ the My Precious Blog Website: www.thecallawafam.blogspot.com

BY MIKE AND RACHEL GRINTI

AMAZON| GOODREADS

Publisher: The Chicken House (September 1, 2012)
Length: Hardcover, 256 pages
Format: E-Arc
Source: Netgalley.com
Genre: Contemporary, Fairytale, Fantasy, MG
Series: No, Stand Alone Novel
Completed: August 2012
Challenges: 2012 DAC, 2012 Ebook Challenge, 2012 YA/MG Fantasy Challenge, 2012 Outdo Yourself Challenge

SUMMARY

When Emma sister turns up missing, their family reloca
Kandice
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an adult reading a kids book I was quite impressed. Very creative story, very interesting creatures and characters.

What I loved
-The friggin bird, oh man. Such a dopey and endearing character
-How wary I was of Jack, kept me on my toes. He's got a sinister vibe and you wonder what he's got up his sleeve.
-The two sides of faeries, won't spoil :)
-The hag... what a creepy character. The rows of teeth that are mentioned and how she eats children. Yikes.
-The allure of the deep woods and the magic. V
Emma Hathaway
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I love how this author explains things, every author has their own way of doing many things. But this, this was such a great book that I could read it twice. A little bit about the story. Emma's sister has gone missing, they move to a new home, and they notice that they have some pretty weird neighbors. Emma then meets a cat, and his name is Jack. He thinks he is all slick, or as my mom would say it, he thinks he is all that and a bag of chips. Back to the story, Jack has a pl ...more
Susannah
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. The world, even though it has aspects that I've seen before in other books, is amazingly interesting and creative. The characters have understandable but complicated motivations, and the story overall is just fun to read.
My main problem with this book, though, is that there isn't enough of it. There are so many things hinted and sprinkled throughout this story that never really get as much time in the spotlight as they should have, such as the segregation between the crags and
Fritz42
Interesting book with a lot of great world building.

Emma's human family has to move into a trailer alongside crags, a term used for any magical creature, because they have used much of their finances up in order to look for Emma's missing sister, Helena. Emma discovers Jack, a cat, living in their trailer.

Jack isn't just any cat. He used to be a magical cat like all other cats. He is trying to keep away from the rest of his pride, who are trying to kill him. He figures out a way for Emma to ge
Bella
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claws by Mike Grinti is a story about a girl named Emma. Her sister has gone missing, forcing her and her parents to move to a crag trailer park. A few days after she moves, she meets a cat named Jack. Jack tells her he can help find her sister, all she has to do is become a human pride heart. But can she trust her new "friend?"
This book was very entertaining, and good. Some parts I thought were to unnecessary to be that long, and later in the book they only had a very small roll. Through thos
Junel
Claws by Mike Grinti is a very interesting and suspensful book. i would recommend this book for third to middle schoolers because it is not to difficult to read. This book is about a girls sister who gets kidnapped and her parents have wasted so much money trying to find their daughter that they move in to a old trailer where Emma finds a cat who makes a deal to stay at his home(trailer) and he will help her find her loss sister!
Sandra
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Not sure what age this is best for, most of it felt solidly middle grade, but the less than fairytale/yet less than fairytale ending made it feel a bit more YA. Crossover I guess ;) The harpy was totally my favorite.

Not that it's on the author-but it's always annoying how often female main characters get kicked off the cover in favor of a side character to make it more appealing to boys.
Elyssa
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. It was really short but the characters developed so much throughout the story. The main character grew to a confident person. There wasn't anything shocking that you didn't expect to happen that did. I wish there was more that happened in the book.
Hannah
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was good and the characters were super lovable. I read this for the O.W.L readathon after I had read it a few years ago and my thoughts are the same. The book was good, but not good enough to have me remember it to recommend to someone else or give a rating of more than three stars.
KK
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the magic and plot of this book!
Aurora Amra
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting book! I have not read a fantasy novel this well in quite a while!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Claws! 1 12 Jan 02, 2012 06:29PM

• The Familiars
  • Blood for Blood (Wolf By Wolf, #2)
  • Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1)
  • Secrets of the Crown
  • Tales from the Inner City
  • Wolf by Wolf (Wolf by Wolf, #1)
  • Bruja Born (Brooklyn Brujas, #2)
  • Fire & Heist
  • The Broken Lands (The Boneshaker #0.5)
  • The Boneshaker (The Boneshaker #1)
  • The Beginning Woods
  • A Problematic Paradox
  • Ghosts of Greenglass House (Greenglass House #2)
  • The Unspeakable Unknown
  • The Last Life of Prince Alastor (Prosper Redding, #2)
  • Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1)
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • A Phoenix First Must Burn