Start by marking “Amber House (Amber House, #1)” as Want to Read:
Amber House (Amber House, #1)

Amber House

(The Amber House Trilogy #1)

Sarah Parsons has never seen Amber House, the grand Maryland estate that's been in her family for three centuries. She's never walked its hedge maze nor found its secret chambers; she's never glimpsed the shades that haunt it, nor hunted for lost diamonds in its walls.

But all of that is about to change. After her grandmother passes away, Sarah and her friend Jackson decid
Published October 1st 2012 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Amber House, please sign up.
Daisy By sending Deirdre and Maggie out of their in-between dream world, Sarah changed the past, so Ida's funeral played out differently. The authors were j…moreBy sending Deirdre and Maggie out of their in-between dream world, Sarah changed the past, so Ida's funeral played out differently. The authors were just contrasting the two different scenes and resolving the first line of the book that said the first time her grandma died...yada yada. The second time was after Sarah had changed the past.(less)
Julie The left side of his body has burn scars from when he was three. He always wears long sleeves to cover them, although they extend on to his face. I th…moreThe left side of his body has burn scars from when he was three. He always wears long sleeves to cover them, although they extend on to his face. I think he is of African descent. Kanga tells Sarah that Jackson and she (Sarah) are distant cousins way back. Sarah takes this to mean that one of her slave owning ancestors abused one of his slave women. Kanga says it is true, but that the slave got her revenge many times over. (less)

Start your review of Amber House (Amber House, #1)
Emily May

This was Amber House, after all, where the past was never really over and done with.

I had absolutely zero expectations of Amber House when I decided to pick it up, I'd read no reviews about it and there's been very little hype surrounding the book. So I went into it with a completely blank slate, knowing nothing but the little I was told in the GR description, which is something that I don't do too often. But, this time, the chance I took on a random book I knew next to nothing about rea
Navessa
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it

I feel like every book with a goddamn love triangle in it should come with a warning like this so that I know to stay the hell away from them. The triangle in this book almost ruined the whole thing for me. Okay, I’m getting ahead of myself. Let me back this bus up and start from the beginning.

Note: This is not going to be my usual quick, snarky book breakdown. I have a lot of things to say about this one. Short version is I almost DNFed it but it was worth it in the long run. Read on
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I read this when it was released, but due to certain issues, I will abstain from writing a review for this book. Needless to say, I will not be touching the next book with with a mile-long pole.
♥Rachel♥
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it

Sarah Parsons’ Grandmother Ida has just passed away. She wasn’t very close to her growing up due to some falling out between her Grandmother and her mother, Anne. In fact, Sarah had never seen the famous family estate, Amber House, before coming out for the funereal. Amber House is a beautiful famous house that’s been in the family for three centuries. It’s one of those wonderful mansions complete with ballroom, conservatory, grand halls, hidden staircases, and secret rooms. Sarah immediately ma
Kelly
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Do you like haunted old houses with tangled histories and lots of secret passages? If so, Amber House is the mother lode. This is the kind of book where the heroine figures out there’s a hidden staircase because, while it’s nowhere to be seen in the house itself, a dollhouse based on the real house does have a staircase in that spot. If this appeals to you — and it definitely appeals to me — you need to read Amber House.

Our heroine is Sarah Parsons, whose family inherits, and temporarily moves i
Figgy
Dec 20, 2013 marked it as pending
I have realised, thanks to gentle nudging from a friend, that I rated this book due to a deeply personal reason, different to the reason other reviewers have done so.

I have discussed this reason with Tucker, and she was very understanding and supportive.

It was my first ever rating without reading the book and, after I had calmed down, decided I was really not comfortable with doing so.

I understand that other people rate books based on how much they are looking forward to them, but that's not me
Kristina Horner
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, ghosts
This book was all over the place. I didn't hate it, but I definitely didn't love it. Also I felt like the last hour or so (I listened to this on audiobook) shoe-horned in an entirely new plotline which felt rushed and weird. I just don't know how I feel. It felt amateur.
Danielle.
I'm going to try and put this as politely as I can....

FUCK. NO.
Kristy Sartain- Whispering Pretty Stories Reviews

Wow.

I was so caught up in the Amber House I had a hard time retrieving myself when I finished reading it. Now I feel like I should demand a follow up book from the epilogue. :-)

I got this ARC from netgalley.com and was finally able to devote a day to read it. You know how they say people who don't read have only one life, but people who read have tons of lives? This book makes me feel like I've lived another life. The writing is beautiful, perfectly descriptive, and hauntingly accurate.
~Tina~
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
After her grandmothers death, Sarah and her family stay at the Amber house estate till her mothers sells it. But Sarah feels drawn to the mysteries surrounding ever surface of the home and she and her brother come up with a plan for them to stay a little while longer.
Jackson, a friend she meet at the house tempts her with finding lost treasure buried somewhere in the home and while they go to explore Amber house starts to come alive with the echo's of the haunted past of Sarah's ancestors, thre
 Reading Reindeer
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: may-2012-reads
Delightful and winning! Engrossing, riveting-the very definition of a page-turner! YA, yes, but suitable for older readers too. The authors do a marvelous job of introducing an autistic child character and making him a full-on protagonist. I want to give this book 16 stars, as I was so totally absorbed, and can’t put it out of my mind. Over the months, I’ve read a few YA books that had this strong an effect on me: “The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer,” “Divergent,” the “13 to Life” series, “The Girl in ...more
A Book Vacation
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shrouded in mystery and full of eerie adventures, Amber House captivated me from start to finish. I loved following Sarah and Richard through the house, exploring the many passageways in search of treasure. Learning about the deep, sorrowful past of the house through Sarah’s visions and her ancestor’s journal was just as riveting as the search for treasure and, truth be told, I adored everything about this novel.

Sarah’s autistic brother, Sam, is my absolute favorite. His sheer energy and pencha
Dark Faerie Tales
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: An old house holds the key to a gift in Sarah’s family. A type of time travel mixed with ghosts and mystery creates an amazingly complex plot with beautiful writing to boot.

Opening Sentence: I was almost sixteen the first time my grandmother died.

The Review:

Give me a second while my head stops reeling. Ever read the Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl) by Eoin Colfer? Well this book has about the same mind boggling situation of time travel that makes
Alyssa (Books Take You Places)
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Books Take You Places.

Sarah Parsons returns to her family’s estate after her grandmother’s death in order to assist her mother in selling the old mansion. After spending some time in the house, Sarah begins to find clues regarding her family history and she becomes connected to the house in a very serious way. Sarah begins experiencing echoes left by former “residents” and in time, comes to unravel the mysteries surrounding her mother and grandmother and the very intense legacy of Amber House.

I
Anna
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Parsons is not really excited when she is forced to travel to Maryland with her feuding parents and little brother to attend her estranged Grandmother's funeral. But once she's there, Sarah and her little brother Sammy both feel some sort of intrinsic connection to the family's ancestral home, Amber House, that neither can explain. So they manipulate their Mom into staying for a few weeks until they can sell the house and everything in it. During that time Sarah discovers that there might ...more
Jessica
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love me a good ghost story! This was a fun ghost story that kept my attention from the beginning. The end threw me for a loop and I am glad to know that there are more to come because if that was it then I would not be a happy camper!

Sarah is at her grandmother's house for her grandmother's funeral. She hardly knew her grandmother and had never visited her at Amber House. Amber House is one of the most talked about houses in Maryland and Sarah is anxious to see what all the fuss is about.

Ashley Marie
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Buddy read with RebeccaNJ!

Holy friggin WHOA. Definitely better than I thought it would be when I started, hell, much better than I thought it was halfway through. I didn't like the story early on, I didn't think it was for me. With all the rich kids and parties and sailing and her mom worrying over money and big lavish parties that Sarah wasn't remotely interested in to begin with, there wasn't much I could find to relate to other than the fact that I didn't like her mom. Parents who don't liste
Kristin (Beneath Shining Stars, I Read)
Will forever think of snails when I see gold body glitter now. Also, Sarah's mother? *shakes her* Full review to come.

Romance didn't sweep me away but I rarely read a book *just* for the romance. Had several moments of, "Why am I reading this when I'm all alone in my room at night and the lights are off? Why did I think this was a good idea? WHY!?" Granted, I have an overactive imagination and well written scenes can spook me a bit. *scurries away*
Macjest
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
What a great ghost story! It wasn't scary or too creepy, just intriguing. I wanted to keep reading to find out what Sarah was seeing. The description of Amber House, the maze, the regatta racing, the secret passage ways and everything else was compelling. The perfect summer book. This is only the first book in a trilogy. And this book just came out, so there's a long wait until the next book.
Barbara ♥~Lindt Ninja~♥ (Careerist Gangster™)
Highly unlikable main character. A major struggle just to stop rolling my eyes most of the time.
Aanchal (Book Flame)
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, ghosts
I knew I had to get my hands on this one when I first heard of it and I am glad to say it did not disappoint at all. Yes it was Gothic goodness mixed in with horror and just all around creepiness. I have a tendency to read late at night and I found myself paranoid about the littlest sounds that I heard thanks to this book and my overactive imagination.

The story circles around Sarah. Her grandmother has passed away leaving Amber House to her mother. Amber House has been passed down from generatio
Jo
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
The way the past was woven into the present was beautiful and eerie. You never quite knew where the danger was going to come from, but you knew it was coming. I loved Sammy and thought he was one of the greatest things about this book. We need to see characters who are not mainstream, but who have struggles in their day to day lives. The portrayal of the relationship between Sarah and Sammy was awesome to see. Her protectiveness of him was well written.

I found the love triangle to be a distract
Allisa White
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Amazing! Oh my gosh, I love this book so much! This is the second time I've read it, so I knew a little bit, but still, this book will never fail to rock my world.

Sarah and her little brother Sammy come with their mother to Amber House for their grandmother's funeral. The huge house has something about it, the history, maybe, or the rumors of diamonds, that makes the two siblings want to stay. With a little manipulation, they get their wish. Then Sarah starts seeing images that can't b
Allyson
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lush and compelling, this is a great novel considering it was written by three people. (Have they really never heard the phrase, “Too many cooks spoil the broth?” But I digress …) By turns chilling and intoxicating, Amber House sucks you into the realms of “what if’s” and “might-have-been’s.” The storytelling is (for the most part) fluid, and while the supporting characters have varying degrees of depth, the inclusion of an honestly rendered family struggling with one member’s autism brings a gr ...more
Kim
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've always been an avid reader but my glory days of reading was as a teen on summer break when I'd check out dozens of titles from the library and go on a literary bender. I have such fond memories of hot summer nights staying up until the wee hours to finish a thriller that I just couldn't put down. The end was always a rush of sweet relief and some sadness that it was over.

Reading Amber House took me right back to those halycon days of late nights and endless yearning for adventures and for t
Enae Weber
Mar 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave up 19% into the book. The story still hadn't picked up what little promise of excitement later was so faint and just didn't grab me at all. I sat there, bored out of my mind, trying desperately to keep reading but falling asleep. I normally have a lot of patience for books, but this was just plain terrible.
Also, there was the matter that Sarah (her name was Sarah, wasn't it?) didn't even care that her grandmother was dead. She spent the funeral thinking about the house, guys and how anno
Ldailey
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Full of suspense, this book is not your usual ghost story. This writing contemplates how the past affects future generations all entrancing the reader using mystery, secrets, the supernatural, teenage romance and more. It pulls on the heart strings as Sarah relates to her younger brother and attempts to understand her seemingly cold hearted mother.
The authors Kelly Moore, Tucker Reed, and Larkin Reed have created an admirable piece of work that keeps you reading all the way to the very end. Alth
Ashley Finnegan
I bought this book because I was approved for the arc of Neverwas and to be able to read and give the best review possible I thought that I should read this one in order to be up to par on what was going on. I can without a doubt say that I am very sorry I purchased this book for $8.99. I feel completely ripped off because if you can't connect with something.. plot, setting, characters, ANYTHING inside of 122 pages then chances are your not going to. And well I'm not even going to pretend to was ...more
Melissa
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Glad they changed the cover. The one for the advanced reader was not enticing at all. I actually almost didn't read it. Glad I did though. Very well written supernatural story. Getting a bit tired of the trilogy, but this one is one that I'm actually looking forward to reading.
K.
I love a good Gothic novel, so I could not have been more eager to finally be able to sit and crack open this story. Amber House delivers a gothic/horror/scary tale in all its intrinsic glory. It involves a young girl, called Sarah, who returns with her family to the old family estate, Amber House, to bury the matriarch of this strange, strange dynasty. They decide to stay for a couple of weeks and very soon Sarah discovers shadows, echoes, and mysteries in every corner of this ancient place. My ...more

• Virals (Virals, #1)
  • The Named
  • Untamed (Splintered, #3.5)
  • Conjured
  • Mugglenet.Com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • The Original Vampire Diaries: Count Dracula
  • Dead Girls Don't Lie
  • The Girl Who Could Not Dream
  • Painter in a Savage Land: The Strange Saga of the First European Artist in North America
  • Antoine's Alphabet: Watteau and His World
  • Making Mischief: A Maurice Sendak Appreciation
  • Museum of the Missing: A History of Art Theft
  • All You Desire (The Eternal Ones, #2)
  • Amelia Anne Is Dead and Gone
  • The Killing Woods
  • Try Not to Breathe
  • The Screaming Season (Possessions, #3)
Kelly Moore is a New York Times best-selling author, former civil litigator, and single mother of three.

The Amber House Trilogy (3 books)
  • Neverwas  (Amber House, #2)
  • Otherwhen (Amber House, #3)