Start by marking “Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience” as Want to Read:
Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience

Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience

The Lean UX approach to interaction design is tailor-made for today’s web-driven reality. In this insightful book, leading advocate Jeff Gothelf teaches you valuable Lean UX principles, tactics, and techniques from the ground up—how to rapidly experiment with design ideas, validate them with real users, and continually adjust your design based on what you learn.

Inspired by
Published March 8th 2013 by O'Reilly Media (first published June 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lean UX, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lean UX

The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. NormanDon't Make Me Think by Steve KrugUniversal Principles of Design by William LidwellThe Elements of User Experience by Jesse James GarrettAbout Face 3 by Alan Cooper
UX books
69 books — 122 voters
The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. NormanDon't Make Me Think by Steve KrugThe Elements of User Experience by Jesse James Garrett100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People by Susan M. WeinschenkAbout Face 3 by Alan Cooper
Must Read UX Books
45 books — 91 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
Mikal
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Lean UX is a compelling case study that offers the foundational thinking behind, and the practical argument for a shift to Lean UX.
This book is best suited for individuals who are already familiar with and have some experience with Lean methodologies. You won't get lost in any of the concepts if you have no experience in the space-- just the argument for and the nuts and bolts of putting it to use may appear weak if you don't have a stronger foundation.

Lean UX is a wicked problem. The author
azarakhsh
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must read for the designers and agile practitioners.
Despite some outdated tools and information, the insight provided by the book is invaluable. Maybe including more examples and real case studies could push it to whole new level. All in all, if you want to broaden your understanding on how UX design and agile practices could go hand in hand, you should give it a try.
Lars K Jensen
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
This book is part of the newer Lean movement, which followed Eric Ries 'Lean Startup' work. Therefore it might be a good idea to start with Ries's book, but it's not a must.

This book is noticeably shorter, which is both a good and a bad thing. Good, because 'Lean Startup' just wants to cover too much and short, because Gothelf touches on some subjects that should be explored further.

For me the absolutely best part of this book was chapters 7 (combining Lean UX with Agile/Scrum) and 8 (on the
Rebecca  Karasik
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly much better than I expected. Usually I find these types of books don't offer enough examples, but in this case the authors offered specific examples from their own work experience. Several of the concepts were new for me and for the ones that weren't this book provided a great refresher.
Steve
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-office
Lean UX is a great overview of how to do User Experience work in an agile team. As a follow on to The Lean Startup: How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses this book has stories, templates, guidelines to help you both use User Experience Design in an agile team as well as use User Experience to help your agile team do a better job of building the right thing. Much of what you'll read will strike you as "common sense," which, sadly, does not ...more
Haley
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best UX book I've read. Very practical, gives actual exercises and templates. Lots of examples and organized well.
Cindy
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lean UX is a great book for beginners from an Agile/Scrum developmental process viewpoint (frankly a smart choice because most software dev teams usually go through these two since it's so efficient). It has several gold pages delineating questions a designer should ask of any project and quite a few golden principles for people going into UX.

Four stars because there were some pages in there that had a needlessly heavy number of pages for what they were- things like "every get 30 seconds to
Boyan
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's a short book, but as I read it, I thought that it can be even shorter - I found nothing in it that's worth more than a moderately-sized blog post. If you are new to lean and agile, though, you might find it useful.
Kars
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I am once again in a situation where I want to improve my effectiveness as a designer inside an agile (startup) team.

This is a quick, surprisingly good read. (I've this far been skeptical of the lean hype, expecting it to be old ideas in new dress.) But this book probably offers the most convincing description of how to marry a user centered design process with an agile software development process I have read to date.

The weakest point for me was an early section on
Jimmy Longley
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: textbooks
Reviewed as part of my 100 books challenge: http://jimmylongley.com/blog/books/

Run-on Sentence Summary
A short manifesto on how to integrate design work with a software team employing the lean strategy.

Impressions
When I picked this up, I hadn’t read any of the other "lean startup" books, but understood the basic premise. The fundamental concept of this book, as well as lean in general, is that to build a successful product a team needs to iterate quickly and test often. This book goes into
Ahmad hosseini
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management, web
What is the definition of Lean UX?
It’s the practice of bringing the true nature of a product to light faster, in a collaborative, cross-functional way.

Foundations of Lean UX are:
• Problem-focused
• Cross-functional
• Small, dedicated, collocated
• Self-sufficient and empowered

Lean UX breaks down the barriers that have kept software designers isolated from real business needs on the one hand and actual
Webb Henderson
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-design
In a nutshell –design should be continuous (lean startup) and collaborative (this book):

- Use cross-functional teams
- Share understanding of the problem, constraints, assumptions, and potential solutions
- Share ownership of the product design and customer experience (avoid 'hero design')
- Focus on outcomes (vs. outputs)
- Encourage colleagues to contribute through any discipline (vs. established roles)
- Embed design thinking (particularly exposure to customer behavior, emotions, motivations)
Daniel
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book which I got for attending Jeff's workshop in Graz (Austria) from the man himself. I liked that it was easy to read and follow, yet provided real world examples in addition to the "theory of Lean UX".

The only downside is that I would like to see more on how to fight against traditional "feature factories". As a "lone wolf" it's incredibly hard to fight against dozens if not hundreds of people for a change that many won't understand.
Gin
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is more a manual for starting your product or service and how to manage growth, team and testing. All with Lean mindset. I suggest first read UX for Lean startups and The Lean startup before this one.
Bearbig
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Modern software projects have a big problem to solve: which framework is the right one for the team to use on the project? A different organization, project and industry, the tools, workflows are all different. The common sense of digital product project that many people ignore is that it is different from traditional manufacture or industrial design.

Lean UX is a combination of workflows, principles and rules for modern digital product design and development. It takes the MVP (Minimum Viable
Hansel
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having just graduated from university and starting to work as a designer at an early stage startup, the concept of Lean UX was very applicable in my transition towards working life coming from academics.

The book encourages collaboration and rapid testing to validate ideas before committing the time and resources to building a product.

However, implementing Lean UX comes with its fair share of problems. Considering the stakeholders involved, getting people to participate and collaborate isn’t the
Nikolaj Borchorst
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Seminal work on merging the UX design process with agile and Lean Startup. Lean UX proposes to do away with big design up front, hero design, and endless discussions, shifting toward more open collaboration, and explicit hypothesis testing.

It also proposes design systems as scaffolding for the shorter design iterations and tests.

In essence, I completely agree with the overall approach, but also find it to be a little too prescriptive and process heavy with only very little empirical support. It
Marian
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux
As a self-taught UX student, I found this book to be pretty inspiring, with praise-worthy ideas (and examples) that challenge common perceptions of agile. Gothelf's emphasis is to focus on product impact instead of features, test all our assumptions about customers, and incorporate as many of one's team members as possible in the design process. This works to enhance usability as well as to increase a team's sense of ownership, raher than keeping UX in a vacuum.

While this is a refreshing
Carlos Martínez Gadea
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, design
Brilliant! I already read 'The Lean Startup' and 'This is Service Design Thinking' , but this book is a seto forward on project management and more concretely on how to successfully introduce the Lean methodology to create a more intuitive, logical and co-operative mindset in place in an organisation.

I have proved myself a few of the methods that the author has suggested in the book with very good results. The one I love the most is to avoid creating a big design up front. Having the economic
Bob Ferrante
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just procedural enough

So, when you really want to learn this subject, you're looking for books that explain the theory.

But maybe also you want forms, and examples, and other form of organization, to keep you from spinning in circles on the power of imagination alone. You can get some of that from this book. There's a really valuable quadrant persona layout, for example. And samples of various other capture forms and visualizations.

Then this opinion pops up that agile doesn't mix with lean in
Soheil
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The very defintion of "short and sweet", Lean UX lays bare the essentials of what makes a proper user experience design process. Much of what is said here is in direct relation to software development. However, I still learned plenty from it to use on my own company projects in the future.

The whole idea is for everyone to get down from their respective towers in the company, collaborate as equals on any project solely based on their skills and interests, consistently keep pushing for
Simon Vandereecken
A tremendously interesting read about the Lean UX process. I've learned quite a lot through it, and also spotted several weakness I've encountered while working with business. It cleared a lot of the processes I'm used to work with, making them more straightforward and efficient. For me it's a must read for anyone working in the UX field nowadays, helping shape products that work in a more powerful way. It also includes user testing throughout the whole process and not just at the end of it, ...more
Marcel Kalveram
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
For someone who's familiar with the Lean Startup principles and has read at least one book on the topic (in my case: Running Lean by Ash Maurya) there's little in this book that you don't already know.

For someone who's new to the topic and comes from a design/UX angle, it will probably provide a lot of new and interesting insights, especially the topic of user testing and continuous iteration.

I think a lot of companies would benefit from the ideas described in this book. Sadly, I know there are
Konstantin Valiotti
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux
The book is mostly an introduction and a brief overview with an overarching theme of being leaner in product development. Lean UX by Jeff Gothelf describes a mindset rather than specific steps that need to be put in action to change the way teams work, although the last chapter is primarily concerned with advice regardings this transition.

The book is well structured and easy to read, but anyone willing to get comprehensive knowledge of specific concepts about UX is better to turn his or her
Nathan
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First half of this book is absolutely gold. I truly wish it wold have been published in separate texts as the second half is more a collection of things you probably already know if you’ve been in software product management or UX for long.

But again, the first half presents a model to develop software using collaborative cross-functional teams that I feel is pretty portable across organizations and is missing very little in terms of what you need to roll it out. Must read for anyone trying to
Toni Tassani
Lean UX is presented as a mindset, a process and a management method... and also a way to integrate UX into Agile Teams. The authors suggest working with Assumptions and Hypothesis, measuring behavior and a good explanation of MVPs.
The reductionist approach of Agile=Scrum and the solutions presented seem a little bit outdated now, and the Design Sprint, as the authors accept, is better explained in the book ”Sprint”.
It’s a short book, easy to read and it was worth reading, with a few insights
John Cumming
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
It can be hard to integrate UX and research into an agile approach such as Scrum. This book highlights lean, iterative approaches to design and how integration and collaboration with development teams is beneficial and essential. It provides some practical means of doing this while stating, rightly, that much of this approach is about mindset. A recommended read if you are struggling with seeing how design, including research can be anything but up front activity by specialists somewhat ...more
Joel Davis
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've had this book on my Amazon wish list for quite some time. I ended up managing a project where I found myself in the need of the solution this book proposes, so I finally decided it was time to read it. I'm so glad I did. There was so much in this book that resonated with me. Perhaps the fundamental aspect though is the idea that what we are building should cause some measurable change (outcome) in the real world. So often we just build features without ever coming back to figure out if we ...more
Zoltán Dósa
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Although I think this is a really useful book to have, the structure of the book is quite ad-hoc, and without actual experience in the field will not give you a coherent image of the methodology.
A new edition would be welcomed featuring content that is actually taught in Jeff Gothelf's workshops.
In the absence of that, i strongly encourage anyone reading this book to go check out the lean ux canvas, it gives the frame for many things in the book.
Danae
A book that describes a process and structure tailored for a software/digital company and the role of UX in it. As digital is everywhere nowadays, the processes described apply to even greater number of companies that rely on their digital channels but are not limited to them.

For better understanding some familiarity with digital/software industry is needed.

I totally recommend this to anyone working on such an environment in any discipline.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
FULL Creative Lib...: Lean UX 1 8 Mar 05, 2014 10:45AM
Central Iowa UX B...: Testing with Very Busy Users 4 16 Dec 05, 2013 11:41AM
Central Iowa UX B...: Counter Opinions and Critiques to Lean UX 2 13 Sep 09, 2013 09:32AM

• Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • Designing for Emotion
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“It’s often the case that teams working in agile processes do not actually go back to improve the user interface of the software. But, as the saying goes, “it’s not iterative if you only do it once.” Teams need to make a commitment to continuous improvement, and that means not simply refactoring code and addressing technical debt but also reworking and improving user interfaces. Teams must embrace the concept of UX debt and make a commitment to continuous improvement of the user experience.” 2 likes
“Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.” 1 likes