Start by marking “The U.S. Constitution: A Reader” as Want to Read:
The U.S. Constitution: A Reader

The U.S. Constitution: A Reader

4.59  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Featuring 113 primary source documents, The U.S. Constitution: A Reader was developed for teaching the core course on the U.S. Constitution at Hillsdale College. Divided into eleven sections with introductions by members of Hillsdale's Politics Department faculty, readings cover the principles of the American founding; the framing and structure of the Constitution; the sec ...more
Published January 5th 2012 by Hillsdale College Press

To ask other readers questions about The U.S. Constitution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The U.S. Constitution

Teri
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Edited by Hillsdale College Politics Faculty this Reader was an eye opener. Starting with the Declaration of Independence, the Civil War, the beginning of the Progressive Era, and ending with Ronald Reagan, reading original documents and speeches brought new insight into our political heritage. So much of what I read was new material to me, which reflects on my public school education, I suppose. It was amazing to me, and sad. I was even a Political Science Major. Thank you Hillsdale College. Th ...more
John Minster
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I went back and forth on how to review this; it is difficult to rate a book which is simply a compilation of important works. But, the compilation I think is a good one, and the content itself is impeccable. It does due diligence, though certainly pushes a narrative which I think is correct. That said, everyone will get a tremendous amount out of this, regardless of whether you agree with the narrative or not.

Frankly I learned so much from this book. Reading the words of the Framers, those who
Dante Ferrigno
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dante by: Larry P. Arnn, president of Hillsdale College
Very important book in conjunction with Hillsdale's online Constitutional courses but also a great way to understand What America was established as, how she has changed, when she changed, how she changed, why she has changed, and the road back to greatness can all be found within the pages of this book.
Audrey
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Great compilation of source documents that give perspective on the Founding, as well as present-day concepts of government, liberty, and morality. The documents range from letters between the founders,to essays by early philosophers, to writings from contemporary history.
Kelsey Yates
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
On week 6 of my online Constitution 101 course through Hillsdale college. Free. Sign up at Hillsdale.edu

I did it! Completed the 10 lecture course and passed the final test! My certificate is in the mail!
Sean
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is just a terrific compilation from Hillsdale College faculty. If you want to understand a non-revisionist America, start here
Keely *Keelskilo*
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genius, real-lifers
BAM. DONE DID IT.
HAS READ ENTIRE MAJIG FOR SUMMER SESSION.
...

Time to try and catch up with the rest of my reading, now....
Cameron
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I took the course this book is the text for. Excellent course, great reference book.
Jon
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Great look into American history through primary sources. It's amazing how prescient the anti-federalists were. The constitution seems to be a major power grab by the government.
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history-politics
Fabulous. A must-have reference book full of original documents. Highly recommended.
Daniel
May 27, 2015
Doug Huffman
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: p-books
Companion for Hillsdale College's on-line lectures.
Lara
Dec 16, 2015
James Crutchfield
May 14, 2015
Jon-paul Schilling
Aug 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • From a World at War to the Triumph of Freedom 1914-1989 (America: The Last Best Hope #2)
  • The Spirit of Democratic Capitalism
  • Novus Ordo Seclorum: The Intellectual Origins of the Constitution
  • The Grand Jihad: How Islam and the Left Sabotage America
  • The Tempting of America
  • The Portable Edmund Burke
  • Suicide Pact: The Radical Expansion of Presidential Powers and the Lethal Threat to American Liberty
  • American Dictionary of the English Language
  • Culture Wars: The Struggle To Define America
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Colonist!: A Settlement You'd Rather Not Start
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers
  • Racing the Enemy: Stalin, Truman, and the Surrender of Japan
  • The Sinews of Power: War, Money and the English State, 1688-1783
  • Journeys on the Silk Road: A Desert Explorer, Buddha's Secret Library, and the Unearthing of the World's Oldest Printed Book
  • Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving
  • The Patriot's Handbook: A Citizenship Primer for a New Generation of Americans
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South: (And Why It Will Rise Again)
  • Freedom's Battle: The Origins of Humanitarian Intervention