Start by marking “Un Barrilete / Barrilete” as Want to Read:
Un Barrilete / Barrilete

Un Barrilete / Barrilete

2.93  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
In Guatemala, there is a village called Santiago Sacatepéquez. It is a very small but famous place because once a year, on the day of the Day of the Dead, the people of Santiago fly some of the biggest kites in the world. As large as seven meters (twenty-three feet) wide, they fill the sky over the cemetery with brilliant colors.

Juan and his brothers always helped their gr
Published August 1st 2012 by Groundwood Books

To ask other readers questions about Un Barrilete / Barrilete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un Barrilete / Barrilete

Vamos a Leer
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barrilete: a Kite for the Day of the Dead/Un barrilete para el Día de los Muertos by Elisa Amad is a bilingual children’s book illustrated with documentary photography. It is about the Guatemalan Day of the Dead tradition where people fly kites for ancestors who have passed away. We meet the protagonist, Juan, along with his family and friends as they prepare for Día de los Muertos. Juan wants to build a kite in honor of his grandfather who recently passed away, and he works to remember all the ...more
Elizabeth
This was much more of a non-fiction book than I was expecting, but I didn't know about this tradition before, so that was neat -- though I would have liked a little more about why kites for Día de Muertos here (this didn't occur to me until after I'd read the book, though, and probably wouldn't occur to most kids).

I was a little bummed that more of the photos weren't in color instead of black-and-white.

The photographer bio notes "This book was photographed in the 1970s, before the civil war that
Jen
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bilingual, espa-ol
bilingual but not EXACTLY translated, some sentences are out of order. It still retains the same meaning though. I had no idea about the gigantic kites from Guatemala for Day of the Dead. The pictures could have been bigger.
Vee
The translation between English and español is interesting.
Kristen