Start by marking “The Four Foundations of Mindfulness in Plain English” as Want to Read:
The Four Foundations of Mindfulness in Plain English

The Four Foundations of Mindfulness in Plain English

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  190 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In simple and straightforward language, Bhante Gunaratana shares what the Buddha said about mindfulness in his instructional talks and how we can use these principles to improve our daily lives, deepen our mindfulness, and move closer to our spiritual goals. While this book is based on a classic text, the Satipatthana Sutta, its presentation is thoroughly modern in Bhante’ ...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Wisdom Publications (first published January 1st 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about The Four Foundations of Mindfulness in Plain English

Robin
I think I read this book with too little meditation experience, so it wasn't as helpful to me as "Mindfulness in Plain English" was. I've only been meditating for a few months, and not very regularly, so maybe if I go back and read this book in a year or two it will be more helpful. The writing style is still very clear and approachable, easy to read, easy to understand.

This book definitely has a more overtly Buddhist message, which may be off-putting to anyone who meditates for reasons other th
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Found his other books, especially Mindfulness in Plain English, more engaging and stimulating. This one certainly has some useful material in it as well though. 2.5 stars
cesar
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. I found it very accessible and profound at the same time. Bhante G's gentleness and guidance comes through on every page. Thank you Bhante G. :)
Marian
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great, practical advice for satipatthana meditation. Highly recommended!
Min
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This book, in my humble opinion, is more of an introductory to Buddhism basic doctrine than practical guide to meditation, which, to be fair, has already been perfectly covered in his book "Mindfulness in Plain English".
This book covers:5 hidrances, 10 fetters, 5 aggregates, 6 senses and their objects, 32 body parts, 4 body elements, 108 feelings, 10 perceptions, 7 factors of enlightment, 4 noble truth, 8 noble paths...
As the book name suggests, it teaches us four subjects to be mindful of: bo
Juergen
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book on the Satipatthana Sutta, which establishes the Four Foundations of Mindfulness, as transmitted by the Shakyamuni Buddha himself. As a follow up to Bhante G's earlier book, Mindfulness in Plain English*, this is a terrific volume. I found the first book much more helpful, however, as it details much more of the pains and pitfalls of Vipassana and Samatha meditation practices. This book attempts to tackle a much broader subject, however, but feels lacking in the same kind of advice as ...more
Maughn Gregory
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wisdom-studies
Gunaratana has a rare gift for making Buddhist precepts not only "plain" but practical:

"Watching how quickly our feelings change, without any effort on our part, we realize another important truth. We begin to see that feelings are just feelings, not _my_ feelings or parts of _me_. We realize that we identify so closely with our feelings that they seem to be part of our basic identity. Experience tells us this is not the case" (p. 84).
Elly Sands
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this through almost to the end but to my surprise it just wasn't satisfying. I usually really appreciate books on this subject but this one seemed too rigid. I did get a few pointers but I found it difficult to relate to the author. I don't want to turn potential readers off to this book as some will find it helpful and enriching.
George Bremner
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Good, easy read. Gunaratana focuses mostly on the aspects of the practice as it relates to the Satipatthana sutta. His approach makes the book a great companion to any commentary about the four foundations.
JP
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good. I'm comparing Gunaratana's teaching with Trungpa's section on the Four Foundation's in "The Path of Individual Liberation". Trungpa's teachings, as always, vary somewhat from the "mainstream" interpretation.
Robin Morris
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Excellent walk through of the Satipatthana Sutra; Inspirational

Read Sept 2012; re-read March 2013.
Prabhu
Dec 20, 2012 added it

A very good book. Highly recommend it for anyone who is willing to look inside oneself & introspect.
Alison
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Comprehensive more scholarly approach to the four foundations of mindfulness.

For serious practitioners.
Michelle Fury
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Gunaratana's clear style. He gets to the point. Though he has a straightforward approach to teaching meditation, some of the practices he instructs on are quite deep & esoteric. He's a master.
Valerie
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • The Wisdom of Compassion: Stories of Remarkable Encounters and Timeless Insights
  • The Mind Illuminated: A Complete Meditation Guide Integrating Buddhist Wisdom and Brain Science
  • The Art and Skill of Buddhist Meditation: Mindfulness, Concentration, and Insight
  • The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: The Buddha's Way of Mindfulness
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • Science of Breath
  • Zen Meditation in Plain English
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
  • Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path
  • Awakening of the Heart: Essential Buddhist Sutras and Commentaries
  • The Wildwood Tarot: Wherein Wisdom Resides
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • The Faith to Doubt: Glimpses of Buddhist Uncertainty
  • The Eight Gates of Zen: A Program of Zen Training
Bhante Henepola Gunaratana is the founding abbot of the Bhavana Society. Born in rural Sri Lanka, he has been a monk since age 12 and took full ordination at age 20 in 1947. He came to the United States in 1968. “Bhante G” (as he is fondly called by his students) has written a number of books, including the now-classic meditation manual Mindfulness In Plain English and its companion Eight Mindful ...more
More about Henepola Gunaratana

$19.99 $2.99
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Taste of Air
    $9.99 $3.49
  • The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #4)
    $17.99 $1.99