Start by marking “Your First Triathlon, 2nd Ed.: Race-Ready in 5 Hours a Week” as Want to Read:
Your First Triathlon, 2nd Ed.: Race-Ready in 5 Hours a Week

Your First Triathlon, 2nd Ed.: Race-Ready in 5 Hours a Week

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  357 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Joe Friel is the top coach in triathlon and his book Your First Triathlon is the best-selling book for beginner triathletes. This clear and comprehensive book makes preparing for sprint and Olympic triathlons simple and stress-free. Joe Friel's practical training plan takes fewer than 5 hours a week, giving aspiring triathletes the confidence and fitness to enjoy their fir ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Velo Press (first published May 12th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Your First Triathlon, 2nd Ed., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your First Triathlon, 2nd Ed.

Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I'm more a runner than a triathlete but triathlon is always something that's been in the back of my head. Your First Triathlon is a good general book with a lot of good information. It is not too overwhelming (leaving aside the training plans) and covers everything fairly well including quite a bit on strength training and nutrition which you don't always find a ton of in other books or it is very cursory.

The initial few chapters were great introduction and well written. I thought the fact that
Scarlett Hill
I like that this book provides separate training plans that work for those who already have a strong sport. All the other plans I've looked at assume a beginner triathlete is a beginner at all three sports.
Adan Caballero
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente invitación a este deporte

Leí este libro por curiosidad hacia la práctica del triatlón. Viendo amigos practicarlo con tal intensidad me parecía algo sumamente difícil y fuera del alcance de personas comunes y corriente que solo queremos ejercitarnos y divertirnos en e proceso. Este libro te abre los ojos al mundo del triatlón de una manera muy sencilla y le quita el misterio y el glamour a un deporte que me parece de lo más divertido.
Douglas Lord
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The title pretty much sums up what you can expect: Friel clearly covers for beginners the basics of the sport and its components (swimming, biking, running). Information on nutrition, gear, muscular strength, and more adds value and presents multisport as a healthy approach to life. Friel writes clearly, and he’s concerned with providing budding athletes with information that is immediately useful. For example, the sections on what to eat before, during, and after exercise are great. The body si ...more
Tiffany
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been hemming and hawing about whether or not I could finish a triathlon for several years now. I've completed many half marathons, a marathon, and various other running events, but for some reason a TRIATHLON sounded like something scary and completely unattainable. My own fears of failure/inadequacy kept me from even thinking about participating in a tri. I bought this book several years ago and have finally dusted it off from the bookshelf and signed up for a sprint tri! In addition to ...more
Chelsea
My first Friel purchase, the Triathletes Training Bible, is *very* advanced-- experienced/professional triathletes are the intended audience. After struggling through that book, I ordered this one and hoped for a similarly thorough book, but for beginners. But this book is too far at the opposite end of the spectrum: too basic, way too short.

Friel makes odd choices about when to be thorough (page after page on the mechanics of weight loss) and when to gloss over details (the swim chapter has no
Chris Maki
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to the sport of Triathlon. I think the real test of this book will be after my first race. I like the way Joe Friel introduces you to the various aspects of the sport and covers all of the equipment you will need. There are several training plans for your first Sprint distance Triathlon (750m swimm/20km bike/5km run) including plans for those that are already swimmers, bikers, or runners. Friel also walks you through your first race, even explaining how to lay out your T1 (tra ...more
Rich
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first section of the book itself is rather weak - but then again the subject isn't necessarily easy to write about. An exapmle of this is when the author attempts to describe proper stroke technique with words along - no images. This is like trying to describe how a hunter would dress a deer with only words. Many of the ideas in this book could be conveyed much easier if they had visual aids (or even better were taught in person).

The training schedules are where the book seems the most helpf
Melissalott
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book if you're starting out and self-training for your first triathlon. Didn't give me a ton of new info (I have a family that talks about nutrition, etc a lot) - but gave pointers on training, motivation, goal-setting, and setting up transition areas that make me feel a lot better about doing my first tri in April. The autor made me laugh several times which is good.

A lot of the book is about triathlon as a lifestyle - healthy eating and exercise, etc. Good stuff.

Quick read - I finished
Stéphane Boudreau
Not a bad book, it covers all 3 stages but not at a deep level given it’s an introductory book. I learned a few things about nutrition and swimming, which is the event I will have the least experience on. The book contains 12 weeks’ programs for Sprint and Olympic events. Each event contains a program for beginners in the 3 fields, and programs for experience swimmer, biker, or runner. Given that I have experience in both running and biking I’ll likely merge the programs for experience runner an ...more
Naomi Blackburn
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a spectacular book for the beginner triathlete. The author offers breakdown of training schedules, nutrition, weight loss and equipment requirements. The author breaks trainings down to races being prepared for a successful race. Furthermore, I love that numerous resources were offered for self-directed trainings. This book was so inclusive in its content that I ended up purchasing it as a resource.
George
Apr 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't end up racing, so can't rate it too highly.....I'll try again next year!

I think it's good to have a general book on triathlons, so racers know what to expect re: race format, but in my opinion you are better off having a book on cycling, a book on swimming and a book on running. Then create your own workout schedule where you get up to the distances required for each leg. Obviously, your training routine should involve combining legs as well. Good luck!
Magen
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This helped to ease my fear of the Triathlon I have committed myself to! It was informative yet basic and not overwhelming. I didn't give it the last star for two reasons, one, no pictures (don't judge! I'm a very visual person and diagrams would have been nice), two, I haven't put any of this into practice yet. I will try and remember to update my review after the race. I have a feeling though that I will keep this book close-by through out my training.
Richard Hoffman
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: triathlon
Great book backed by Joe Friel's amazing expertise and scientific viewpoints. This book provides basic workouts and outstanding hints for improving athleticism, nutrition, strength and fitness... Enjoy.
Elin
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
This is a straight forward "how to" book. It gives you all the guide lines and insights into what is required to do your first triathlon. It is wonderful to have all the tools. Only wish it gave the drive... hmm perhaps I should find a self help book that will inspire. lol :D
Michael Czachor
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are thinking about competing in a triathlon then this is the first thing you need to buy. You will learn everything you need to know from picking your race, to how to train and what you actually need to finish. It's a must read.
Angela
This guide is informative and reassuring. I would have liked the book to include training plans that apply to people who are already fit and capable in more than one sport. The author's plans assume a swimmer can barely run, or a biker can hardly swim.
Cameron
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not a bad introduction to Triathlon, been following the program for a couple of weeks. I do like the different bike, run and swim varieties. I would recommend this to anyone getting into the sport.
Erin
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Training for my first tri now - happy to have found this book. Not a lot was new info, but helpful to have it in one book as opposed to articles on multiple websites. Would recommend for newbies looking to learn more abt the sport.
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent, just-the-basics primer on triathlons, training for one, and actually competing in one. From nutrition to workouts to recovery to tips about the mental game, it provided me with everything I needed to know to run and succeed at my first triathlon without providing excessive information.
Guillermo Vázquez
Grieta book!

Great advice flor the beginners. From nutrition to workouts to setting up your transition area on the race day!! Definitely a must read if you're planning on racing your first tri
Liz
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reads
a book everyone should read if they are interested in running a triatholon.... like me :) however - this book doesn't provide you with very advanced training - but provides resources for others ways to get info - important for understanding the triathlete lifestyle and race day
Jode Edwards
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very helpful in getting ready for my first triathlon.
Melissa
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It worked! We started off with 0 fitness and were able to finish the race following his advice.
Jonathanljoe
Dec 24, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i'm learning a lot! run with bare feet on grass to find your healthy running form, eh?
Amanda
Jul 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: athletes
I don't think I would have made it across the finishline with such a huge smile on my face had i not taken the great advice and training suggestions given in Friel's perfect first-timers book.
Myra
Jun 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you've ever needed to know about doing a Triathlon is in this book. It's a how to type book... which I love. Good book!
Niloofar
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT book to get you off the couch to doing your first triathlon (and believe me if I can do it anyone can do it). I loved how simple the plan was.
Susan
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and packed full of useful information. I really like the training charts and his upbeat encouragement for the first time triathlete. Does his plan work? We'll see...
Katie
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information about training for a triathlon! I recommend this book to anyone interested in becoming a triathlete.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Be Iron Fit, 2nd: Time-Efficient Training Secrets for Ultimate Fitness
  • Slow Fat Triathlete: Live Your Athletic Dreams in the Body You Have Now
  • Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run
  • You Are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Tr iathlon
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Runner's World Running on Air: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Breathing Technique for Runners
  • Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity
  • Training and Racing with a Power Meter
  • Older, Faster, Stronger: One runner's quest to find out how women are running into their 50s, 60s and beyond, and what that can teach us all about living younger, longer
  • Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
  • Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
  • Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Total Immersion: Revolutionary Way to Swim Better and Faster
  • Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons
  • A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
  • The Reproduction of Mothering: Psychoanalysis and the Sociology of Gender
  • The Velveteen Principles: A Guide to Becoming Real; Hidden Wisdom from a Children's Classic

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »