Start by marking “Knees: The mixed up world of a boy with dyslexia” as Want to Read:
Knees: The mixed up world of a boy with dyslexia

Knees: The mixed up world of a boy with dyslexia

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Knees shows the ups and downs of life with dyslexia. We have done this book in the style and size of a chapter book so that younger children and older children at low reading levels can read what seems to be an older child's book.
We cover dyslexia’s symptoms and the reasons school can be hard for dyslexics. We talk about some famous people who had or have dyslexia.
The bo
Published May 1st 2012 by Vanita Books

To ask other readers questions about Knees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knees

PattyMacDotComma
“I have dyslexia,
I’ll try to explain.
Things get mixed up
Between my eyes and my brain.”

Another thoughtful addition to the libraries of parents and teachers to help children with dyslexia.

Oelschlager produced the hard copy on heavy cream-coloured paper to reduce show-through and minimise contrast, and to make it more comfortable to read for people with dyslexia, she chose a font called ‘Lexia Readable’.

The pencil drawings have been similarly designed to be clear. Having said all of those things
Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal)
Louis is a little boy with has dyslexia and not a dyslexic boy.

I know in my profession that we always have to keep in mind the person and not the disorder. And it's so hard when you have something as impactful as dyslexia, where you feel that every day is a screw-up.

And that's all that this little book is about. It focuses on the person and not the dyslexia, while giving children with learning disabilities understanding, empathy and hope.

Louis has dyslexia and is having difficulty finding some
Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Knees:The Mixed-Up World of a Boy With Dyslexia
by Vanita Oelschlager
I requested this book from NetGalley and the review is voluntary.
This is a great book for kids to learn about dyslexia in a fun way. It is about a boy with dyslexia and how he learns to deal with it in his own way. It is a rhyming book but not childish. It also gives a list of famous people that had or has dyslexia. The adorable pictures are clever and appealing and follow the story. The pictures are sure to make many smiles alo
Shoa Khan
Knees tells the story of Louis the Third, a young boy who suffers from dyslexia.
It provides an insight into the kind of problems dyslexic kids face at every juncture, which others may not realize exist; even more so, because the kids may not even be able to express them in the first place.
That said, the book is so beautifully simple, that kids won't have trouble following it, esp. with simple, yet meaningful illustrations like these:

On the other hand, it also features powerful illustrations
Lin
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute inspirational illustrated book bringing awareness of a condition that affects a lot of people regadless of their age - dyslexia.

It is a book I would highly recommend for parents with kids that have the condition to show them thar they are not alone and they could find and do what they are good at. And most importantly not to be afraid because of it and never to give up.

I love the message here and we need more books featuring this condition and bringing awareness of it at school at work a
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader & Traveling Sister
This was a warmhearted look into one child's experience with dyslexia, his family and teacher's support of him, and his ability to overcome- by finding his strengths and building on them. The introduction to dyslexia itself was simple (not nearly as involved as dyslexia is much more than mixed up letters), but on a child's level, I think it was perfectly appropriate. I loved the focus on finding where you excel and building on it, while not giving up. I also loved how the famly was supportive to ...more
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute illustrated uplifting book that you can read to or with your children. It teaches that you can achieve things even if you struggle with dyslexia, even tells about the famous people who had it. It can also help teach kids without this problem to better understand their friends who have it.

I was given this book on netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Producervan in Sedona, AZ from New Orleans & L.A.
Knees The Mixed-Up World of a Boy With Dyslexia by Vanita Oelschlager. 5 Stars+. What a wonderful book for your dyslexic child, a friend, neighbor or even an adult. Highly recommend this family-centered focus on dealing with word blindness at home and at school. Another great book from this author. Thanks to NetGalley for providing this ebook for review.
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, net-galley
I was hopeful that this would be a good book, and I wasn't disappointed! The illustrations are large and clear, and the text short and succinct with just a few words on each page (rhyming too, which was a nice touch). I was particularly pleased to see dyslexia described as 'a gift', as so often children can lose confidence over it. It was a great touch to name some famous people that had dyslexia (Walt Disney is a good one to use, as I'm sure that reference will never tire!)

On the whole, this bo
Ian Wood
Apr 07, 2015 rated it did not like it

Jakki Newton
Mar 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
You would think that if one wrote a book about dyslexia, one might highlight some of the strengths of dyslexics: strong narrative skills, great sense of 3D, dynamic reasoning, great long term memory, and creativeness for example. Dyslexics become great scientists, architects, engineers, artists, writers and entrepreneurs - why not use this for inspiration? These jobs utilise their strengths - not basketball! It is almost as if she is saying they aren't good at reading, but they might be good at ...more
Jay
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*Thankyou to NetGalley & the publishers for this copy

I loved how this book, with it's simple story lines & black & white cartoon illustrations, explained what dyslexia is, in a way that both kids and adults can easily understand.

I grew up with a dyslexic father & younger sister, so I've seen first hand how it unknowingly pops up in everyday life, sometimes going unnoticed but other times causing problems. This book shows in a fun & engaging way that you are still normal, you
Sandra
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This lovely book is written in rhyming prose and illustrated in simple attractive black over cream drawings. Its goal is to explain dyslexia from the point of view of a boy who suffers it. It shows in a very clear way how difficult is for "Knees" to do some things other kids do without give it much thought. How he struggles and even feels upset sometimes, but how he is able to success too, like any other boy.
Great
Fictionophile
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Educational yet charming book about a boy with dyslexia.
Rhyming prose tells of his despair over feeling different than the rest of the children in school as well as his frustration with the problems he faces attempting to keep up with his schoolwork.
As he grows, he finds that he is better able to cope and that with practice, he can achieve anything he sets his mind to...
Contains appealing black and white illustrations - that in my opinion would have been even more appealing in color.
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
We need books about Dyslexia, if for no other reason than that there are people out there that need to understand why they don't understand. Full disclosure, I, my partner, and my daughter all have various stages of dyslexia. I have largely overcome it. My partner never has, and my daughter seems to be dealing, so I do know something about this subject.

So, I went into this book thinking, at last a book that deals with this, and would help.

Well, sort of.

The book is a large picture book (66 pages)
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Disclosure: I received a DRC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I’ve read a couple of books by Vanita Oelschlager before. At first, I was a little reluctant because she publishes under a kind of vanity press. That is, she runs her own indie publishing company whose books are mainly written by her. However, a closer look shows that she collaborates with several talented illustrators an graphic designers to come up with beautiful, well-packaged books. Also, the proce
Cereja Cult

Reviewed on 07/12/2012

This is a really sweet story about a boy that has dyslexia and is truly honest about the difficulties a child encounters while trying to fit in with the world.
Everybody feels inadequate at least once in life and don’t even has to have any special problem. Being normal is not something easy to be, but being special is even harder. To feel stupid and just wrong among all the other people sucks, to say the least.
What I liked in this book and think is the main reason everybody
Melissa
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ok so I've read a number of books by Vanita Oelschlager. Some good, some bad. I didn't know what to expect with this one but I figured I'd give it a shot so I snagged a copy from *Netgalley

Knees tells the story of a little boy with dyslexia. He tries to explain what it is and then goes on to telling how he tries to find things he is good at. He finally finds basketball and he is quite good at it.

While my son doesn't have dyslexia he could still relate to the problems that the little boy had. I'v
Moon Shine Art Spot ~ Lisa
Book description:

The book is endorsed by the head master of a school where many of the children have dyslexia. He has dyslexia himsel
Tam Tam
I would recommend this book to every elementary school library out there. This book not only gives you a glimpse into the world of someone with dyslexia, but it gives even the reader, whether dyslexic or not, encouragement to find that thing they're good at. This book can be for anyone: young, old, and in between.

The story isn't complicated. It's simple-which is all this book needs to be. The illustrations-right on for this book. I loved it- simple black and white illustrations. You can finish t
Kayla Eklund
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have read a couple of Vanita Oelschlager's children’s books before. She always writes though provoking children’s books. Her books usually teach that just because someone is a little different than you doesn’t mean that you won’t have a something in common. In fact, you might have a lot in common and become good friends. Knees is no exception to that rule. Knees is about a boy named Louis who has dyslexia. The book helps children understand what dyslexia is. It also teaches that a lot of famou ...more
Elle Markov
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a good book for parents and children dealing with dyslexia.

Dyslexia is a developmental reading disorder and it is characterized by having difficulty with reading and writing.

The book is told from the point of young boy, Louis, who is dealing with dyslexia and how he feels. During the book he feels down because he struggles with school, his mother is encouraging, but he says "that's a mom's job", his dad give him very sound advice "We're all good at something. You just have to find it.".
Lisa
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Knees explores dyslexia, it's symptoms, and the effect it has on the people who are so afflicted. It is told in the form of what appears like a graphic novel, a format that is much loved by my 10 year old son.

But, the problem we had with Knees is this. Per my 10 year old, the story itself was "choppy" and if it was hard for him with not having dyslexia, he felt that it would be much more difficult for a child who did have dyslexia to be able to read and follow along.

Now, the illustrations were
Lori Moore
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must for every parent of a dyslexic child and should be on the shelf of all teachers and school libraries. Knees is unique because it tackles the struggles of dyslexia from the view point of the child. I also like how the author spends the later part of the book dealing with the child’s search for something he is good at. The approach the author uses in this book makes it very apropos for children who have friends who are dyslexic or for teachers helping the whole class to better ...more
Lady
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great Inspirational Story About Triumphing Over Obstacles

This was a cute book about a child learning to come to terms with his dyslexia in a positive manner. I found it fun and amusing to read as well as being uplifting in nature. Louis did not let his disability keep him down or discourage him. Instead he worked hard in school and searched for something he was good at to keep him happy. This is a great book to teach children they can overcome anything as long as they try hard enough!

***This boo
Stacie Wyatt
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read Knees-a mixed-up world of a boy with dyslexia by Vanita Oelschlager, in exchange for review from Netgalley.com . The book was published by Vanita Books, LLC. The graphics in the book was wonderful-simple black and white images. Each page also rhymed. The book told the story of a boy living with dyslexia. He confused his letters. Having dyslexia did not stop him from trying new things. The book captured my kids attention and was a quick read. I chose this book because the child had a menta ...more
Jayna
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can't see this book being a read by a wide audience, but it fits very well with children with dyslexia. I think this is a fabulous story where dyslexic kids will have someone to relate to. It would also be great for people who are friends/classmates/siblings with a dyslexic person. It would help them understand what they are going through.

I received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
Huda
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: en-pic-books, sped
the book tells the story of a school boy who has dyslexia; so what is it like to have dyslexia, how it feels like and what can be done about it.
Janet
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zz-2017ng, kindle, ng-kids
I received a DIGITAL Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
From the publisher -
The book is endo
Lisa
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very simple book, which will be useful for introducing the topic of dyslexia to younger children.

We meet 'Louis the Third', who explains his difficulties, and tells us about the famous dyslexics his special teacher has mentioned (including Einstein and Picasso) and his friends who hang out with him.

Both his teacher and his parents say that dyslexia is a gift and that everyone is 'good at something. You just have to find it.' Louis keeps trying and eventually finds his special skill.

I
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Vanita Oelschlager is a wife, mother,grandmother, former teacher, current caregiver and, for almost ten years, author and poet.

She was born and raised near Pittsburgh. She is a graduate of Mt. Union College in Alliance, Ohio, where she currently serves as a Trustee.

She has also supported and helped Jim as he built Oak Associates, ltd. into a successful investment management firm.

Today, as an accom