Start by marking “Soft-Spoken Parenting: 50 Ways to Not Lose Your Temper With Your Kids” as Want to Read:
Soft-Spoken Parenting: 50 Ways to Not Lose Your Temper With Your Kids

Soft-Spoken Parenting: 50 Ways to Not Lose Your Temper With Your Kids

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Short tempers and lapses of patience are a common challenge for parents, but they are also conquerable with the advice in this book. Each chapter contains a concept, including choosing laughter over accusation, putting off until tomorrow what shouldn’t be said today, making sure actions match words, choosing to see the good, and making allowance for childishness. The chall ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Silverleaf Press

To ask other readers questions about Soft-Spoken Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soft-Spoken Parenting

Gina
Oct 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Teaching Our Children to Love and Serve Each Other
Quarreling and bickering among siblings are painfully common in family life. While children are declared innocent because of the atonement (D&C 93:38), it is also true that “when they begin to grow up, sin conceiveth in their hearts” (Moses 6:55). Everyone who works with children knows that they can be not only charming, sweet, and delightful, but also selfish, pouty, and demanding. They are not automatically or naturally cooperative and peac
Michelle
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book! I wish I could have had it 10 years ago, when I first started struggling with my temper in parenting! Bro. Goddard wrote this edition for a secular audience, but his original edition (with blue on the cover) is aimed at an LDS audience, and includes quotes from scripture and modern prophets. He said that this edition is probably better written, though, being a revision of the original.
Each idea in this book is helpful. I recommend a slow reading of it. Read a chapter or
Kris Irvin
Jun 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Yeah, this book was really, really boring, and the 20 or so strategies I got through before giving up did not even remotely apply to my two year old. Bummer.

Why is it that all the parenting books I read have NOTHING to do with parenting a toddler? Clearly I should write my own book. Except that it would be blank, because I have no idea how to parent a toddler (thus my quest to find a good book about it. Argh.)
Elise
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
UPDATE:

Finished this. It is fantastic. I took like four pages of notes. I should probably buy this book so I can read it every time I am frustrated with the kids :). The only criticism I have is that some of the "50 Ways" are repeated, just with a different title and different examples. (For example, one of the chapters is "Just Listen" and one is "Listen to your child's heart"--basically the same thing. But it's something that should probably be repeated ad nauseum until we get it so it's not r
Krista
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, education
Yet another wonderful book on parenting that I've read lately!

Perhaps the most valuable part of this book is the initial discussion about anger. Since that's something I struggle to handle appropriately, Goddard's comments made a lot of sense and hit quite close to home. Remembering that soft-spoken chastening, I've been able to see how different our home feels when I choose to *avoid* the self-justifying satisfaction of anger. I can't recommend this book highly enough to harried parents - or a
Ami
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it
This book had several great tips for controlling the anger that so often is directed at our children (or spouse). There were a few things I hadn't thought of and I enjoyed many of the stories that were shared. I recognized some influence from one of my favorite parenting books, "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and How to Listen So Kids Will Talk."
Some of the tips, I felt, were either a little vague or not my family's style. I also would have liked a few more examples with each of the anger man
JoEllen
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book has 50 short chapters with ideas or approaches to help you use a quiet voice while parenting. I thought there were great concepts and ideas, although some were a bit redundant. I felt inspired to be a better parent, but wish there had been a little more practical application. This book helped me not yell at my kids the week I was reading it. There's a quote I liked that goes something like this:"Anger should be like the appliance repairman, who rarely visits the house." except when it' ...more
Crystal
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book has changed my heart and my ideas about children. I love the introduction, which gives the myths about anger. Many of the strategies seemed the same, but even if the differences are minute, one strategy may speak to a parent with a certain temperament differently. Every parent should read this. Even those who aren't parents should read this. We can all have compassion and walk a mile in each other's shoes, and avoid blaming, accusing, and anger in our relationships.
Aimee
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great resource for any parent. I liked that the 50 ways are broken down into individual, brief sections. Each gave the principle, and example, and followed up with a workbook-type evaluation for your own reflection. The format is such that you can skip around and browse the topics without missing out on anything. These are principles that all parents can use, regardless of how much or little you lose your temper with your kids. Just good reminders.
Megan
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is one I wouldn't mind re-reading. I put it on my to-read list because he's one of my mom's favorite authors of marriage/parenting books. Each chapter is a new way to relate to children with compassion and understanding. Most of these would apply to any relationship, though, not just parent/child. I really enjoyed his examples.
Rebecca
May 17, 2010 rated it liked it
It was an alright read. Some of the chapters were pretty much the same as one another. Some of the chapters were obvious. But. Sometimes the obvious is worth remembering. The chapters were short and accessible, and you could, theoretically pick and choose when you need these reminders. Supposing you had bought it and hadn't checked it out from the library.
Christina
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
To the positive: the book is a good reminder that often as parents we get overwhelmed with how our children's actions effect us. This causes us to react in ways that don't put the child and their needs first. The reminder is helpful.

To the negative: the tips are redundant, overly obvious, and rather dippy.

In opinion, not worth the read.
Jani
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great parenting book. Really practical advice. I loved it. I've read a lot of parenting books and there is such a mixed bag out there. This is one that I am very grateful I read. Good gospel perspective too.
Kelli
Mar 09, 2009 rated it liked it
This book gives various ways and/or ideas on how to work with your children. Many of them I already knew or try to practice but it was good for me to have a few examples of how I can better myself as a parent.
Justina
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Liked it, but didn't love it. I felt like it was a little bit repetitive. It was a quick read though and had some good ideas for how to respond when your kids are throwing tantrums or fighting with each other.
Kristen
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This book had lots of good suggestions. I just wish it had gone into more depth.
Taressa
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
An easy read with many great ideas! A lot of it was common sense- but I need to be reminded of my "common sense" once in a while. Great reminders and tips that I plan to try!
Erin
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
The chapters "Invest 5 minutes to save an hour" and "Imagine yourself watching a stage play" especially helpful to me.
Julie
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy. So so good. This isn't a flip through and read once book, but a come back to often after processing book. Glad I bought it instead of libraried it.
Heather
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great ideas. This would be a good one to pick up again now and then when you feel like you need a fresh tip, because each short chapter is one suggestion on how to be more soft-spoken.
Marilyn
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Practical strategies to help you with relationships--with children and adults. Great book.
Ramona McConkie
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very practical, hands-on advice but also more broadly focused on our parental natures becoming the way we want them to be.
Brandon Byrd
Mar 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Had some good suggestions.
Melanie Atkinson
Feb 19, 2016
Jen
Sep 01, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Between Parent and Child: The Bestselling Classic That Revolutionized Parent-Child Communication
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government
  • Christlike Parenting: Taking the Pain Out of Parenting
  • Momfidence!: An Oreo Never Killed Anybody and Other Secrets of Happier Parenting
  • A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • How to Behave So Your Children Will, Too!
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • Rock-Solid Relationships: Strengthening Personal Relationships with Wisdom from the Scriptures
  • The Mother in Me: Real-World Reflections on Growing Into Motherhood
  • Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
  • Living a Covenant Marriage
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Screamfree Parenting: The Revolutionary Approach to Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool
  • What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child
  • The Potentially Sane Mother's Guide to Raising Young Children: Nearly 100 Activities and Parenting Ideas to Help You Fell Confident and in Control (Mo