Start by marking “All the Women of the Bible” as Want to Read:
All the Women of the Bible

All the Women of the Bible

The Life and Times of All the Women of the Bible Dr. Herbert Lockyer provides a convenient commentary on all the named--and unnamed--women of the Bible, from Abi to Zipporah. You’ll discover how the lives and character of different biblical women mirror the situations of women today. More than 400 concise, fact-filled entries provide fascinating and thought-provoking insig ...more
Published October 1st 1988 by Zondervan Academic (first published December 1983)

To ask other readers questions about All the Women of the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Women of the Bible

Linda Palmer
Nov 18, 2009 rated it liked it
If you can get through the arrogant assumptions made by this author, this book is a good read for Christian women who are uncertain of their role in the church and family. Few sermons are based on the women of the Bible, even though more than 400 of them are profiled in this book.

Usually we are introduced to women who were gentle, self-sacrificing, obedient and willing to hide their wit and intelligence from public view. Still, there are some great leaders, strong and vibrant women w
Sara
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Okay, I see it says first published in 1983 but I used this for a reference book for a report I wrote in school in January 1982.
Angie Arms McGill
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This book was a gift to me from one of the women in my bible study class. It is a fabulous reference book on all the women of the Bible (both named and unnamed). Since it was originally published several decades ago, it should be acknowledged that it contains some assumptions and opinions by the author that are outdated. However, as another reviewer attests, I also don't believe in "throwing out the baby with the bathwater."

In my opinion, this book is unsurpassed by any other contemp
Rebekah Schrepfer
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review was featured at MostlySensible.com
Indispensable reference book! I pull this out often as I prepare for Ladies' Bible Studies or writing articles. It gives me a good starting place as I look for the historical and biographical context of a passage. All known references to women are cited whether she is named or not. Scripture references are first noted plus each woman's family connections, the meaning of her name if known, and some commentary from Lockyer. I will never get rid of this book.
Christina
This book was very informative and interesting.
Theresa
This is part of a set my husband has.

It's a great indexed reference of all the named and unnamed women in the Bible even the obscure ones. Each has an explantion of where and how they fit in the bible.

There's the meaning of each name, plus there's suggestions for bible studies, Mother's day messages and aids in womens meeting.

I recently used it to find a biblical name for each letter of the bible.
Em
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good reference book especially when I am in conversation with female church members. They often speak of women from the bible, the things they have done, whether good or bad, their characteristics, etc. I now have some clue as to who and what they are referring about.
Pamela Tucker
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished one book and will start reading about the women in the Bible, and so far I have looked up names so I know this will be a good reference book as well as cascual reading to learn more about the women.
Stephanie
Wonderful! Eye-opening, admirable, encouraging.
Lori White
Oct 22, 2007 rated it liked it
A good reference
Sherri
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book it's so easy to look up any person in the Bible with a brief description of them.
Sylvia D Ogni
Jan 05, 2018
Abigail
Apr 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Dr. Herbert Lockyer was born in London in 1886, and held pastorates in Scotland and England for 25 years before coming to the United States in 1935. In 1937 he received the honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Northwestern Evangelical Seminary. In 1955 he returned to England where he lived for many years. He then returned to the United States where he continued to devote time to the writing min ...more