Start by marking “In the Eye of the Storm” as Want to Read:
In the Eye of the Storm

John H. Groberg

In the Eye of the Storm

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  4,320 Ratings  ·  310 Reviews
Inspirational autobiography of John H. Groburg's "Mormon" mission to Tonga,in 1954, at age 20.

A fascinating story of the three years spent on those beautiful South Pacific Islands amidst a kindly people, who also had a deep faith in God: miraculous healings,protective warnings from the Holy Ghost,perilous voyages,a hurricane,hunger and much more:

This remarkable book paint
Hardcover, Sixth Printing, 303 pages
Published 1996 by Bookcraft, Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah

To ask other readers questions about In the Eye of the Storm, please sign up.

Karen Nope. Post WWII. He served his mission in 1952, I believe. Because of the Korean conflict, he had to wait his "turn" to serve, as they were only…moreNope. Post WWII. He served his mission in 1952, I believe. Because of the Korean conflict, he had to wait his "turn" to serve, as they were only allowing two from each congregation at a time.

This is a memoir of a missionary serving in Tonga.(less)

Natalie
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so inspiring to me. I remember reading "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom and feeling the same way. They are similar books in that they inspire people to love others and explain how they got through adversity trusting in God. I liked the movie. I thought it was charming. It turns out it was pretty true to the book. But if you saw the movie, you still need to read the book because the movie only covers the first year of Elder Groberg's mission, and his mission was 3 years long. A ...more
John
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated this book 4 stars based on the content and in spite of the writing style. I tend to be over critical of how an author writes, though.

What I liked: In the first paragraph of the introduction, Elder Groberg tells us that the main purpose of the book is to emphasize the overwhelming need for faith in our lives. I think Elder Groberg does that very well. While reading the book, I asked myself several times if maybe I couldn't be more faithful in different aspects of my life.

I also enjoyed t
Cara
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this memoir. What an amazing story. I'm glad he took the time to write it down so the rest of us could learn from it. I've loved the movie since it came out. It was nice to finally read the real thing.

I had heard before I read the book (from a few different people) that some had felt that the analogies and lessons learned from his experience and shared in the book didn't seem accurate based on his age (that he was applying his current wisdom- some forty years later- not sharing
Chip
Jul 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
After watching the movie I really wanted to read this book. I'm glad I did because you get so much more detail about John Groberg's experience on his mission. The book is packed with faith promoting stories and is a wonderful book that missionaries will cherish.
Rachel Wagner
At first Elder Groeberg's experiences seem almost impossible to believe; however, anyone who has been through an experience like a mission knows that they are full of miracles. Maybe they are not all as dramatic as Groebergs but they are equally important to the participants.
Gary Braham
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Last year I discovered the movie for the first time and was very interested to learn more. It was a very easy to read book, divided up into short chapters. I am very impressed with what this young man in his early 20's was able to do. Missionary, headmaster, District leader... and all at the same time! It really is a remarkable story.

Is it something that a non member would like to read? Maybe not, there is a lot of terminology and LDS background you would need to really appreciate it. It's also
Wesley Morgan
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent explanation of the feelings and experiences of a full-time missionary. Though I served half on a different hemisphere and many years later, the real core of being a missionary is pretty universal. I love the movie, and it is very accurate with the moments it depicts, but there are many more in the book, some of which offer interesting gospel insights. I think my favorite of the events not in the movie was "The Lord's Wind." He was praying so hard for a good wind to get to an island ...more
Jill
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His missionary experiences are amazing. Makes me miss my own mission.
Kara
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational and moving. Much more detail than the movie.
Abby
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful love letter to God and the nation of Tonga. I was constantly amazed by Groberg's faith and relationship with God and the miracles that he experienced. The stories helped to lift my faith and re-testified to me how wonderful the missionary program is if the young man/woman trusts in God. I loved hearing about his companion Feki and the good things that he taught Groberg as he began to love the people and culture. He has such a strong testimony of prayer and a direct communica ...more
Nissanmama
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my very favorite books. The book is quite different from the movie that was later based upon it. The book deserves its own consideration. Groberg relates his real life experiences of serving a mission in the polynesian islands. Over and over he is faced with impossible tasks which he must solve without direction or help from his supervisors. He turns to the Lord and his scriptures for answers with amazing results. He also quotes a great deal of Old Testiment scripture and weaves i ...more
Stephanie
I listened to this as an audiobook and really enjoyed it! I found all the stories really interesting and uplifting. Elder Groberg has such a strong and faithful spirit and I was impressed by many gospel and life insights he picked up from all of his experiences. The Tongan people and culture so was so interesting to learn about as well. I thought the book was going to be super different from the movie adaption, but they actually had a lot more overlap than I thought. Of course the movie still le ...more
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, and definitely more than the movie. Groberg had some incredible experiences and as much as I loved reading about each one I loved even more the insights he gained from his time in the Pacific. I know my own upcoming experience will be different but this was a great read in preparation for my departure (I'm moving to the Marshall Islands to teach English for a year). I think I'll appreciate it even more when I get back.
Larry
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is an amazing true story of a young 19-year-old man who goes to Tonga on an LDS mission. he must have had a great upbringing because he brought with him all of the tools that make a successful leader and missionary. I got to learn about Tongan culture, hurricanes, traveling between islands and all it's harrowing experience. most importantly I learned how attitude makes all the difference when going through the tough times.
Cindy
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I read this, but this is an interesting look into the atmosphere, and attitudes of the Pacific Islands at the time that Mr. Groberg served as an LDS missionary (the 1960s?) He had many hardships and adjustments to make. Don't expect it to be a romance (the picture from the movie is deceptive). He gets a few letters from his girl back home. A couple yucky moments when rats are gnawing on his toes and a girl "throws" herself at him. (for older teens and up)
Leslie Lamb
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He had an amazing mission experience. Many of the rules on my mission did not apply to his. He didn't always have a companion, there was no curfew or time to be back to the house, and other such things. He had many challenges both physical and spiritual. He was faithful thru it all. He later became a General Authority, which is not surprising.
Barbara
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I learned many deeply spiritual things from reading it, but mostly I learned that the pure love of God is all that really matters in our dealings with each other. I felt my own resolve to be kinder strengthened as I read about Elder Groberg's experiences among these faithful islanders. The chapters are short and full of comforting truths. It's a book I will read again.
Chrisann Justice
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely love this book. I'd already watched the movie when I first read the book but I was so glad to have read the book. It of course had many things and explained events better than any movie could. So inspiring!!!
Rich Dougall
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over the course of about 8 month with my son. It was a wonderfully uplifting book. I thoroughly loved ready about Elder Groberg's experiences in the islands as a missionary and his love of serving those who were so different culturally from him.
Cobb
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than just incredible stories, Groberg moved me to put more faith into my own life. The lessons he learned in just a few years of missionary service take most of us a lifetime to understand. The sequel is just as powerful.
Robin
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book since I knew the Grobergs while I was growing up in Idaho Falls. John Groberg was a bishop at the same time as my father. Jean Groberg was a friend of my mother and they served on the stake RS board at the same time.
Ryan Seamons
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Anyone who will be or has been an LDS missionary will love this. Great spiritual insights and example to follow.

I also love how much this book explored getting to know another culture, realizing your culture isn't 'right', and being able to see happiness without money.
Keith
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A fascinating account of his trials, including having the soles of his feet eaten off, and near starvation after a hurricane.

The movie is also good, but I'll take the book.

It's been too long since I read it or I would write more. ... Now where is that copy so I can read it again.
Nichole
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not believe in coincidences. There is a God in Heaven that is aware of us and our unique situations. This book gives an interesting insight to that through one young mans journey of faith.
Sara Blamires
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Sara
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Far more moving than the movie
Kimberly
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing book! So inspirational! I actually used it as a devotional. What an amazing journey!
Bryan Tanner
Fun, relaxing Sunday read.
Brad Mclaws
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember when I read this. But it was good.
Beth A.
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book.

It's missing now.

I'll have to replace it, it's definitely one I want in my permanent library.
movie 1 19 Apr 07, 2008 11:25AM
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
  • Go Forward with Faith: The Biography of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church:  Spencer W. Kimball
  • Mafia to Mormon: My Conversion Story
  • Way to Be!: 9 Rules For Living the Good Life
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • Letters
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • To Draw Closer To God: A Collection Of Discourses
Elder John H. Groberg has been a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy since April 1976. Prior to his call as a General Authority, he served as a Regional Representative. He is the author of The Other Side of Heaven which is the basis for a movie by the same title.
More about John H. Groberg...

“Sometimes God calms the storm and sometimes He calms his child.” 35 likes
“There is a connection between heaven and earth. Finding that connection gives meaning to everything, including death. Missing it makes everything meaningless, including life.
21 likes