Start by marking “Want (Want, #1)” as Want to Read:
Want (Want, #1)

Want

(Want #1)

Julianne counts the days until she can pack her bags and leave her old-money, tradition-bound Southern town where appearance is everything and secrecy is a way of life. A piano virtuoso, she dreams of attending a prestigious music school in Boston. Failure is not an option, so she enlists the help of New England Conservatory graduate Isaac Laroche to help her.

She can’t und
Published June 7th 2012 by InkSpell Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Want, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Want

Start your review of Want (Want, #1)
Stacia (the 2010 club)
When we sin again, I think I could be in love with the devil.

I tip my invisible hat to Stephanie Lawton for writing such a beautifully flawed book.
Dust motes float in the air, dancing it seems to the quiet energy of his music. I feel his sadness now more than ever. He says much, much more through the piano than he ever does with his spare words.

My blind assumption that this was just another student/teacher affair was completely wrong. This is not your run-of-the-mill Mary
Kenya Wright

So. . . I went back and forth on how I would grade this book.

I thought this book would be about this:

But in fact it was really about this:

"Someone" being abused.

A love affairish. . . that was cute but yet odd:

And many serious messed up issues that happened to the hero and heroine, that frankly I was unprepared to deal with:

So in the end, most of the book I did this:

And this:

So don't even open up this book and read it unless you have a box of tissues.
Patrycja
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was just blown away.

It is a mix of everything I adore.

Love. Passion. Music. Pain. Dreams.

At first I didn't think I'll write this review.
Honestly, I didn't expect this book to be enough good for me to waste my time on writing it.
But when I started reading Want I just couldn't stop. I was with Juli, I even felt like I was her. How could I blame her for falling in love with Isaac, when I did the same thing? How on earth could I judge her?
The thing is I couldn't do it without being a hypocrite
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
A Solid Four Stars

To be honest, the cover is what first drew me into to this book. It’s just beautiful. The story itself was intriguing, but within it, laid a much darker tale.

**Possible spoilers ahead**

This is not another typical YA. It dealt with a lot of difficult issues, and I do mean a lot. Our heroine, Julianne, has a horrible home life and leads a life full of secrets. Her mother has severe mental issues and often times, takes her anger and frustration out on Juli. She practically keeps
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
Aw i loved this sweet and tormented book.

Juliette is a 17yr old pianist. After her beloved tutor has a stroke he enlists his nephew 27yr old Issac to tutor her until her audition at a prestigous music school.

Issac is tormented and closed off. He has a secret that almost everyone seems to know apart from Juli. Issacs bestfriend Dave is the total opposite from Issac, flirty and fun, he helps Juli with her music and advises her when it comes to Issacs temprament.

Juli has problems of her own, she ha
Julie Reece
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read a great deal of dramatic, contemporary, new adult literature. When done well, these stories are sad and haunting and gut wrenching and make me want to put a 45 to my head. People … Want is done well—and in this case—worth the risk of consuming a box of Kleenex, and, well, I was joking about the need for firearms. I loved this story. Truly. Read the whole thing in a day. I hated and loved all the characters respectively. I screamed at them in my head when they did stupid things and h ...more
Hilda
If you want vampires and werewolves, faeries, fallen angels or zombies, you won’t find them here. I know a real-life monster.

Julianne (Juli)’s only wish is to get into New England Conservatory. When her old piano teacher has stroke and his job is transferred to his nephew, Juli thinks that this is a sign. Her new piano teacher, Isaac, is graduated from New England Conservatory. Isaac doesn’t show any emotional feeling at first, but as they spend more time together, he starts to smile and talk mo
Iva
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review is also posted on Way Too Hot Books blog

Want turned out to be much more then I expected.

As part of our new feature - Autumn Taboo, we are reading books about student/teacher relationships. This book, in its basis, it about that. Julianne Becker is a 17 year-old talented piano-player and is preparing for her audition for New England Conservatory. After her mentor gets sick, comes the mysterious Isaac Laroche who himself graduated in NEC. Who better to teach her?

So it started really g
Lisa
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, inkspell
I just finished reading an ARC copy of Want by Stephanie Lawton. I stayed up until 2 this morning unable to put it down. I thought about it all day and rushed home after work to finish reading it. It’s been some time since I’ve been so compelled by a book that I was unable to put it down, so I’m thrilled to share this review with you.

The main character in Want is Julianne, a complex, interesting and immensely talented seventeen-year-old. She faces a horrific home life, the psychological impact o
Yelania Nightwalker
I want my paperback now! :-)

First I have to congratulate the designer on the cover because it is not only beautiful but very significant to the story.

WANT was a real surprise...

Julianne is a southern girl of 17 years whose passion is music. When her piano instructor get sick, start taking classes with Isaac. As the days pass, the attraction between them becomes complicated by the age difference and the problems that each of them has.

While the beginning of the story is slow, the story is strong e
Kristi
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Juli can’t wait to blow the doors off her southern town. She hates the gossip and the small town drama. She’s getting out, and her piano is the ticket. When her piano teacher suffers a stroke, her lessons are taken over by his nephew Isaac.

Juli seems to have a perfect family on the outside and that’s just the way her mother wants it, but there are unsettling things happening under the surface. It seems like Isaac might be the only one who can understand what Juli is going through, but Isaac has
Lee Ward
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of being a beta reader for this novel, and it is a fabulous debut from Stephanie Lawton. Julianne's story will leave you breathless, from her amazing musical talents, to her heartbreaking moments with a mentally ill mother who crushes Juli's world with angry fists and cruel words. And when her elderly piano teacher falls ill at a crucial time in Juli's life, she falls for the stand-in instructor, his nephew, Isaac. He's older than Juli, and has a past he's running from, but sh ...more
Calia
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We’ve all read a book that had a character that was so completely talented you were envious, almost a little jealous!!

By the second paragraph, I was engulfed into Want.
The writing is exceptional. It flows like poetry.
It has a touch of forbidden lust, a damaged family, and one very talented girl.

Julianne is a brilliant pianist. When her instructor turns ill, he suggests that she employ the help of his equally talented grandson, Isaac Laroche. (view spoiler)
Rachel V.
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
First let me just say I do not normally read this genre but the summary from Goodreads sounded good so I thought I would give it a try. I am very glad that I decided to try new things. This book was very well written. I read it all in one day within a few hours hoping for a happy ending for the main character. I give it 5 stars.
Plot – The first couple lines of the book are as follows. “If you want vampires and werewolves, faeries, fallen angels or zombies you won’t find them here. I know a real-
Aubrie Dionne
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A powerful masterpiece, exploring tough issues, sweet love, and high stakes…

Julianne has worked hard her entire life, practicing her piano to get into New England Conservatory, to leave behind the abuse, depression, and dysfunction of her southern home. When her teacher falls ill, she meets Issac, his young nephew and a recent grad of the same school she desires so much. The only problem is, she starts to desire Issac as well. His brooding mystery lures her in. She’s not the only one with psycho
Kat (Why Read)
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-reader, arc
As a young girl, I watched my mom watch countless hours of shows and movies on Lifetime.  I’ve come to realize that “depression” is entertaining.  “Hardships” as a whole bring us together thinking with one mind of justice, hugs all around, and Kumbayah.  Yet it is hardships at its singular level that separates.  It separates with secretly and closed lips.  That one individual experiencing it within an isolation of their emotions emits selfishness to thinking they are the only person in the world ...more
Rebecca Hart
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying this book was absolutely nothing like what I expected when I sat down to read. I have read a fair share of YA books, but WANT is miles above anything I have read from this genre lately.

Stephanie Lawton presents us with a southern world, steeped in tradition and dark secrets. The MC, Julianne is flawed and "real" and I was rooting for her from page one. What a wonderful departure this was from the usual perfect life, beautiful flawless MC's present in so much of today's YA
Kelly
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, ebook, 2012
Wow!!! What a long ride that was! It was a good trip I read for 3 hours and could not put it down. I am just not sure why. I have major issues with this book yet I am still thinking it over.

Family dysfunction and age of consent are issues that seem to way heavy on ones mind when you finish Want. I like that it lingers in my mind well after the last page. For me the age thing was never an issue.

Juli's family situation is just horrid and I really wanted to kill her Dad. HOW could you?????

The t
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
I really love this book!!!but I didnt expected this end...
Joyce Scarbrough
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Lucky me, I was chosen to read WANT as a beta reader, so I got to fall in love with it before the masses!

Julianne Casquette wants so many things. She wants to escape the smothering confines of a Southern city still bound by antebellum social restrictions. She wants to escape the dangers of a mother trapped in madness and the terror of falling victim to the same demons herself. She wants to win a coveted spot in the prestigious New England Conservatory so she can make her dreams of becoming a co
Paranormal Reads
Julianne Casquette comes from your old school, traditional southern family with the amazing talent for the piano. Her world has never been that of a sane one, but it goes for a trip when her piano instructor has a stroke and has his nephew, Issac Laroche, continue on with them.
Trying to form a relationship with him could be the end to either him or her.

"Love can't always be based off of the heart. Sometimes you must use your head."

First off I have to say that 99.9% of the time I read paranormal
Shweta Choudhary
Oh!! No words really for this wonderfull book!!! Loved it totally!!

OK I am gonna say few words no no more than that.

Very good,excellent,beautifully written , touching story for me. It was so filled with it . God I couldn't stop my tears while reading it. and yes, The unpredictable ending..

Characters so well developed. I could relate myself to the girl , her emotions ,her reasons.
I haven't read such a book in my life..will call it the best book of the year.
The girl ,Juliana ,Juli what soever wa
Heather
Hmph.....what a strange book. Good, but strange. This book delves into mental illness, and forces the reader to contemplate the ethics of a 17 year old girl dating a 27 year old man. The book is gripping because we don't know what's up with this man, and we don't know whether or not he is a "good" guy or a "bad" guy. And honestly, we don't know until the last twenty pages. Add to that ethical scenario a psychotic mom and an emotionally damaged and traumatized teenage musician, and you've got you ...more
R. Brennan
Full Review can be found here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... ...more
♥ Sarah
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥ Sarah by: Rachmi Febrianty
Shelves: fiction
5 STARS!!!

WOW. WHAT? WAIT. YEAH, THAT JUST HAPPENED.

It's official: I loved this book!

I feel like I just conquered an insurmountable obstacle of some sort. Instantly, I was catapulted into a disjointed concert of intense, raw emotions. And the force of the story, revealing itself in bits, pulling me in then pushing me out, teasing me with dark secrets, whispering fears, and unimaginable twists, strangely left me feeling cathartic. Want was the breath of fresh air that I needed.

At first, the age
Amber
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
EVERYONE WHO LOVES YA NEEDS TO READ THIS BOOK. go buy a copy right now. I'm not even kidding.

I took one look at the cover and the summary of this book and said ew, no.. well... okay.

I tentatively opened it and began to read ONLY because it was a read-along with my GR friend, Stacia. And then it hit me.

Oh. my. word. This book. This book reminded me why I loved books. Why I love YA fiction. I've spent so long reading mediocre, stereotypical YA fiction because it warms my bones that I forgot what i
Claudia B.
I have really mixed feelings here.

I'll sum up my review to what I liked and did't like.

Liked:
- Mr. Cline. He was family to Julianne and the only one who actually had some sense in him, besides being a really likable character.
- Dave. I connected with him from the moment he steped into Julianne's studio. He was there for her whenever she needed him and even when she didn't.
- The ending.(view spoiler)
Amaleen Ison
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People say you should never judge a book by its cover. In this instance IGNORE THEM. Want is just as beautiful on the inside. And that’s saying something because the sumptuous cover is one of my all-time favourites.

I finished Want in a day. Couldn’t put it down, much to my husband’s annoyance! I adored this darkly seductive story with its dysfunctional characters even though the violence, abuse, and self-harming were an excruciating read – at times. (But the book is about so much more than just
Nina ~ Valentine PR & Literary Managment
Want is the story of Juli, a 17 year old piano virtuoso trying her hardest to escape her home in Mobile, Alabama to Boston’s elite New England Conservatory college. Her family is deeply rooted in the society of Mobile, but they also have a horrible, shameful secret – Mama suffers from such horrible depression and mood swings, she is a violent abuser both physically and mentally to everyone in the family.

Most of the book surrounds her practice leading up to the auditions in Boston and how she dea
Marissa
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this story. I liked that the story had a southern twist; it was pretty refreshing! There are complex characters and I thought Lawton wrote them, characterized them very well. Dave had a great personality; I thought he lightened up the mood in some tense scenes. Isaac is more reserved and in a way mysterious, but as the story comes along, we definitely learn more about him. To me, Julianne seemed like a realistic character, and I enjoyed reading this from her point of vie ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Where You Are
  • Sweet Temptation
  • The Low Notes (Wexley Falls, #1)
  • Force of Gravity (Gravity #1)
  • Nocturne
  • My Teacher
  • Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #1)
  • The Not Gate (Tom and Alice, #1)
  • Dreams of 18
  • Being Mrs. Cane (Cane, #3.5)
  • Mr Chambers  (Tom and Alice #2)
  • Untainted (Tainted Black, #2)
  • Hate Crush
  • Sin & Discipline
  • Consent
  • Unconditional
  • Collide (The Collide, #1)
  • Somebody Else's Sky (Something in the Way, #2)
Always a misfit, Stephanie Lawton writes twisted romance that tugs the heart strings then punches you in the gut.

She has a tendency to psychoanalyze people, which comes in handy when creating character profiles. She has a fascination with teacher-student relationships, bullies, psychics, doomsday preppers and larger-than-life characters.

Making readers squirm is her greatest pleasure.

Proceed with c