Start by marking “Arcane Solutions (Discord Jones #1)” as Want to Read:
Arcane Solutions (Discord Jones #1)

Arcane Solutions

(Discord Jones #1)

Rescuing under-aged vamp bait and retrieving stolen possessions is all in a day’s work for Discord Jones.

When a gorgeous, lying bastard of an elf hires her to find an ancient book, danger takes on a whole new meaning. The book holds an unbelievably powerful spell, and ‘favored prey of demons’ becomes an unwelcome addition to her resume.

Novel of 70,632 word count. Include
Published January 26th 2012 by Katarr Kanticles Press (first published January 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Arcane Solutions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arcane Solutions

Kari Chapman
Jeanny
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
The world is interesting. The protagonist seems promising. I'm not a fan of the wolf but am madly in lust with the tiger
I'm going to give book 2 a shot
Marsha
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
So many of my favorite series have either ended or are winding down; so, I am constantly on the lookout for new and interesting ones. While the Discordia Jones series certainly isn't new, it is definitely interesting. "Arcane Solutions" features a psychic named Discordia Angel Jones who received her powers after awakening from a 3 year coma. Now the twenty-two year old works as a P.I.

Discordia has been asked to find the missing daughter of a woman. Before she can even get started her boss saddl
chucklesthescot
If I was rating this book purely on the plot-or lack of it-I would have given this one star and went to do something else. Despite the plot issue, the author deserved more than one star because her writing abilities and the way she put the story on paper was better than that so I gave it the two star maximum that I can stretch to if I abandon a book.

Cordi is hired by a family to find a missing teenage girl who may have been snatched by evil vampires so it is pretty important that she is found qu
Runningrabbit
I really enjoyed this one and am pleased to see I can surge on through a few more before I will have to wait on a new book. This is generally my preference for reading, I hate it when you have to wait for ages and then the author either 1) doesn't do a Prologue 2) launches straight in with no background whatsoever and you have no idea who any of the characters are, what breed of character they may be, or where it's set 3) puts so much background in the following book that you have to skim to get ...more
Suz
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I really enjoyed this a lot and look forward to the others. I would not be as enthusiastic had friends not told me that the seemingly developing love triangle resolves quickly, I think they said in early book 2.

Yeah, there are places where the protagonist doesn't make good choices and that's frustrating but I'm hoping that these will be the areas in which she grows. I'm a little puzzled by the number of powers that keep cropping up and wondering if I'm looking at a potential Mary Sue, but I like
Lyndi W.
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Not sure how I feel about this one. I liked the characters and the plot well enough. Lots of action. But Discordia seemed to stumble entirely too much. She's got sooo many powers and she's supposedly THE BEST but I felt like she mostly had no clue what she was doing or what she was going up against. People had to save her bacon every damn time. Also, not real fond of the love quadrangle that wasn't really a quadrangle.

I'm on the fence about reading the next book in the series.
Dirty Dayna
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-buddy-reads
This book suffers from great ideas that don't turn out how they were intended to. the book is borderline cheesy and you don't really even care about the characters. there's an unrealistic love triangle and it just didn't do anything for me .
A.M.
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Arcane Solutions is a quick and fun paranormal detective story.

The story follows Discordia Angel Jones, a psychic private investigator with a penchant for life threatening situations. Her boss, determined to protect his best PI, hires handsome wolf shifter Nick Maxwell to be her bodyguard. It’s lust at first sight between the two… but first they’ve got to find a missing girl, fend off vampire attacks, and stop a demonic cult from ending the world. Just another day on the job for Discord Jones….

T
Bec
Arcane Solutions is a fun early novel for this author. Various dimensions were force apart thousands of years ago and now they have come back together, including Earths dimension. This caused a lot of havoc and mayhem on Earth with a whole bunch of supernatural beings now living here. Humans on Earth themselves had a portion of the population drop into comas to wake up as witches and psychics. Discord Jones is one of the humans that turned into a psychic and then became a PI.

Arcane Solutions is
Tonya
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure here: I got to both beta read and edit Gayla Drummond's latest offering, Arcane Solutions. So I’ve seen it in rough form and been paid to work out the final kinks, so I’m obviously not unbiased about whether this story is worth reading; I’ve already invested a lot of time to make what I felt was a good story to begin with, stronger. That said, I’m really pleased with where Drummond took the final result.

Discord, known to her friends as Cordi, is cast in the mold of urban fantasy
Wyrdness
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
On a re-read I give this 3.5 stars.

I still really enjoyed this on a second read through and it shows strong promise of developing in to something quite interesting, but it did have some of "the usual" problems a first in a series might have.

Such as really convenient minor characters the main character knows popping up in just the right place when needed, as well as a rather abrupt (as in blink and you'll miss it) transition from the "clue gathering build-up" phase of the story to the "actual l
Alan
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I took a chance on this book when I read the excerpt that was provided on Amazon. I am sure glad that I did, because I did not want to put it down and I wanted to read the next one (they are all on order at present).

This story starts with our heroine "Discord Angel Jones", who cannot stop getting into trouble as her "psychic" abilities keep manifesting and just leads her right into the thick of all things we call action in the form of "Aw, hell here we go again!".

This book has a great cast of ch
Melinda VanLone
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish. The world building was fun, and I especially liked the whole psychic abilities thing. What I wouldn't give to be able to teleport! I liked that although this had some gruesome things happening, it read like a cozy mystery. The voice was fun, and refreshing. Lots of moments made me giggle out loud. Fantastic dialogue. I'm still dying to know exactly what kind of creature Discord's boss is. This was a delightful romp, and a fast read. If you're looki ...more
mlady_rebecca
It was a decent read -- I like most of the core characters -- but major Mary Sue vibes. The lead female is a psychic with untold gifts including teleportation, telekenesis, telepathy, psychometry, .... Yet, she needs a werewolf bodyguard to keep her out of trouble. In the two stories where I base my experience on teleportation -- the 1970's The Tomorrow People and the original book Jumper -- teleportation when in jeopardy is kinda second nature. I don't know. Clashing expectations. A souped up t ...more
Petrie Serrano
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entertainment
I love-love-love this book and can't wait for the rest of the series. It's light and entertaining with non-stop snappy comebacks, plot twists, and imaginative takes on mythical creatures that so easily could have fallen into cliche. Parts of it are laugh-out-loud hilarious. It's the first book I've read cover-to-cover in one day in years. (It would have been one sitting if I had a babysitter.)

I read it a year ago and I'm still recommending it to people.
Danielle
Loved this book and the three that come after it. If you like paranormal without tons of x rated scenes, this is a great choice. Love the unique world building and different characters.
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
Fun start to a new series.
Nicole
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Great elements, but just not well put together.

Overall, I really like this series! There's a great underlying plot, characters, romance, and fun aspects. I really like Discord and want to know all the mysteries about her. There is so much potential!

I have noticed that the books are really short and as a result the actual underlying plot is slowly dissipating. Granted it was there for about the first 2-3 books and then it felt like the author didn't know where it was going and so there's more fil
Kristi
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great first in a new series. The mystery was engrossing and the dialogue was witty! Looking forward to continuing the series
Bookmom
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
When the melding of two realms took place years ago, it really caused chaos. A number of people fell asleep for a few hours up to a few months and woke up with abilities, and many of those people are now witches and warlocks. This version of the world also contains shifters, vampires, demons, elves and other types of fae. Discordia (Cordi) Jones was in a coma for three years—she doesn’t know of anyone else being asleep that long from the event—waking up with a slew of different psychic abilities ...more
Jeannie Lopez
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great super fun exciting adventure.
K. Lincoln
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Lots of potential, not quite to my taste. Maybe I've overloaded in Urban Fantasy again recently? I"m not sure. The main character is pleasingly tough, independent, and not all the way stupid about finding herself caught up in various situations.

Sadly, she's the only character I really felt I got in this story, despite an intriguing-sounding scooby gang of friends surrounding her, including a mysterious, giant boss, a hell-hound, a wolf-shifter boyfriend, a love/conflict interest shifter tiger, v
Dianne
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read

I am generally a little leery of trying new authors when they aren’t published by a ‘big’ press, but I am so glad that I took a chance on this author.
It takes so long for new books to come out by my tried and true author’s that I just needed a fix that would take me into the realms of Ilona Andrews, Anne Bishop and Patricia Briggs. This new series seems that it will fit the bill quite nicely.

In this first novel we are introduced to Discordia Jones. She is a psychic with several different talents
Graeme
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Heavenlyz
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Discordia Jones, or Cordi to her friends, is a psychic PI. She is strong, independent, and funny. From beginning to end, I couldn't put this book down and just had to read the next book, too. The only thing I didn't like is Discordia's choice in a boyfriend, and letting Nick believe they're boyfriend and girlfriend instead of confronting or asking him about their relationship when he first mentions her as his girlfriend. I read somewhere that this book is like the Anita Blake's ...more
JadeShea
This story begins when Discord Jones gets a wolf shifter body guard to help on her cases now. She doesn't really think she needs it, but her boss said it's a must. So, not only is she ending up with Nick, the shifter, she also has to deal with this new case that may or may not involve a lying Elf, and demons. Cordi is going to have to work hard to figure this one out before all the bad guys win.

This book was pretty interesting. What really threw it off for me though was the fact that one, Cordi
Holly
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Yay! Finally a new UF series that I really like! This book had everything but the kitchen sink: witches, warlocks, shifters, vampires, elves, and demons. However the main character Cordi is none of those things; she's a psychic with a lot of other useful paranormal abilities. She spends her working hours as a private investigator which makes for an interesting book and opens up the series to lots of possibilities like my much beloved Kate Daniels series. This book is not YA based on the romantic ...more
Lokki
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
An entertaining read but I thought the 'love interest' angle and the set up for a possible triangle in later books was rather clunky. I really didn't get any chemistry between Nick and Discordia (I can't stand that she wants people to call her 'Cordi'. Yuck.) She even admits that she doesn't really feel any zing with Nick and appears to just be using him for sex and because she is too freaked out after her daily dose of danger to be alone. I liked the cast of supporting characters but I don't th ...more
Book Links 1 9 Mar 21, 2013 10:00PM
  • Who Needs Enemies
  • The Burning Bush (Santeria Habitat, #2)
  • Undercover Magic (Shifty Magic, #2)
  • Fire Within (Guardian Witch, #2)
  • Electric Storm (Raven Investigations, #1)
  • Shifter Wars (Mind Sweeper #3)
  • Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery, #2)
  • Demons of Desire (Half-Breed, #1)
  • Shiv Crew (Rune Alexander, #1)
  • Hunted (Eden, #2)
  • Veiled Magic (Veiled Magic, #1)
  • Wolf
  • Spiral Hunt (Evie Scelan, #1)
  • Wild Card  (Bite Back, #3)
  • Realm Walker (Realm Walker, #1)
  • Tainted Blood (Hell's Belle, #2)
  • Knight Games Box Set  (Knight Games, #1-4)
  • Distant Desires: Part One
Puppy rescuer and equine slave who loves visiting other worlds through reading and writing.

You can find her on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gayladrummon... or drop by her website at http://gldrummond.com.

Discord Jones (6 books)
  • Something to Curse About (Discord Jones #2)
  • Save the Last Vamp for Me (Discord Jones #3)
  • Frost & Bothered (Discord Jones #4)
  • Black Magic Shadows (Discord Jones #5)
  • A Little Street Magic (Discord Jones #6)
“to my hands and knees. The demon hesitated. Damian's” 0 likes