Start by marking “Julia's Cats: Julia Child's Life in the Company of Cats” as Want to Read:
Julia's Cats: Julia Child's Life in the Company of Cats

Julia's Cats: Julia Child's Life in the Company of Cats

The world knows Julia Child as the charismatic woman who brought French cuisine to America and became a TV sensation, but there’s one aspect of her life that’s not so familiar. Soon after the Childs arrived in Paris in 1948, a French cat appeared on their doorstep, and Julia recalled, “Our domestic circle was completed.” Minette captured Julia’s heart, igniting a lifelong ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Julia's Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julia's Cats

Start your review of Julia's Cats: Julia Child's Life in the Company of Cats
Jessica
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awww, I loved reading and learning about Julia Child's fascinating and enriched life. She really lived the dream: a spouse who adored her, a warm heart, the ability to nurture her passion, and the means to travel the world.
Glitterbomb
This is a delightful and charming little book. A must read if your a fan of cooking, cats and good company.
Rebecca Huston
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fun little jewel of a book, chronicling the life of Julia Child and her cats. The authors use photographs, letters and stories to create a humourous read that is perfect for cheering you up on a rainy day, preferably with a cat or two in your lap. Great fun to read, my only regret is that it is much too short. And there is a great little surprise at the end as well. Four stars overall, recommended.

For the longer review, please go here:
Snap
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Charming little book about Julia Child and the cats in her life. Nice stories from Paris and to her final days in California. The theme of this small book can be summed up in this quote from JULIA'S CATS: " For Julia the recipe for a perfect dinner party had just been greatly enhanced: food, plentiful wine, sparkling conversation, and a cat who came to dinner." I think it was also her idea of a perfect life.
Rebecca
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you love Paris and all things French, cooking a la francaise, and les poussiequettes, you will fall in love with this book.
Angie Boyter
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book delivered just what it sounded like it would: a wonderful diversion telling about Julia Child's life with food and cats...or is it cats and food. It is full of clever phrases using the French influence. I picked up a delightful new word: poussiquette, and I loved the passage about the cat who looks "about to contribute a bon meow or two to the conversation." My cats are like that, and Rikki does, indeed, converse.
It bothered me that Julia let her cats roam outside, and it bothered me a
Robin
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats
What a delightful little amuse bouche-sized biography of Julia Child, focused specifically on her joyful relationships with a series of special, much-pampered and richly fed cats. If you know Julia Child mostly through her television program or her cookbooks, this book sheds light on how that same bubbly charisma translated into her personal life with Paul and their many poussiquettes.

Because Julia and Paul were both prolific letter-writers to their family and friends, the authors had a treasur
Diane
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely read. I never knew that Julia Child and I both shared a love of "poussiequettes"! The book illustrates Julia's delightful charm and personality as it follows her life with Foreign Service husband Paul Child back and forth between the American embassy in Paris and the here at home. Once in Paris, a kitchen mouse problem was easily solved with a local "minou". Julia was thrilled with the little mouser and was never again "sans chat". The book has a number of interesting photos ov ...more
Fiona
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful read for anyone who loves cats and cooking. It's gentle and descriptive. The authors have researched widely. Having read the Julie/Julia book and seen the movie several time, this was just another insight into the life of Julia Childs.
A wonderful Christmas gift.
Joanna Taylor Stone
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This seemed pretty forced, but I mean it's cats and Julia Child, so I will take it.
Xyra
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cat lovers!
Recommended to Xyra by: Mother in Law
I LOVE Julia Child! The Food Network and people like Paula Dean and Rachel Ray wouldn't be where they are without her.
Growing up, Saturday afternoons were usually PBS shows and I have fond memories of my mom and I watching The French Chef. She was a joy to watch.
Reading through this book I could hear her voice in the quotes, could picture here walking down the aisles of the open markets and in the kitchen.
This slim, biographic, volume produces a glimpse at Julia's life with a focus on her love o
Emily Genest
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it
So my boss purchased this book because she loves all things animals- especially cats (but not in the crazy cat-lady way. She's way too rich for that). Since she was going to be on the road for a week she left it for me to read.

It was cute. It added nice tidbits that might have been left out of My Life in France and other Julia Child biographies. It also wasn't sad, which is nice because I hate books that are full of cute stories about animals and then bam! dead animal-character that you've come
Sharon Richards
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this for my birthday and read it in one sitting. It's a charming account of Julia Child's love for kitties, beginning when she and Paul Child were newly married and living in Paris. A housekeeper brought her a cat to rid the kitchen of mice. The cat was named "Minou", French for pussy. It was soon determined that Minou was a girl, so Julia changed the kitty's name to Minette. The book weaves a lot of delightful biographical details about Julia and her adoring husband, Paul Child and t ...more
Andrew
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
A slight little book that probably should have been edited down to an article for a glossy ladies magazine. Since Julia Child spent her life shuttling between France and he US, she really only owned one cat, back when she she first moved to Paris with her husband. So, the premise gets worn thin. But, any cat-lover will relate to her delight in poussiequettes and understand her sadness when she had to leave them to return to her television work.
Emily
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is insane to me that enough information about Julia Childs and her love of cats exists so that a whole book could be written about it. I'm thankful that info does exist because those was a delightfully happy little book.
Joyce
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
What is not to like? Stories of Paul and Julia and their many cats. The first pages with the story of Julia's last meal (her recipe for French onion soup) and that her dear cat was there in the end was so touching.
Susie
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 900s
Another reason to adore Julia.
Linda
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
This little book barely kept my interest, unfortunately. I found the details of Julia Child's life more engaging than the rendition of her relationship with cats. I love cats and it bothered me that Julia Child had an old-fashioned, (and these days) ignorant view of them. She did not seem to believe in neutering or spaying, she let her cats out where they could face numerous dangers, and she didn't bring the ones she loved to the U.S. with her or her U.S. cats to France. I don't even think her c ...more
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do not know if it was my mood, or these story tellers, or Julia herself and her cats, but this book was very sweet and touching. I knew most of these snippets as events from Julia’s life from other biographies and her own “My Life in France.” Somehow the stories as told from the chronology of her cats and her personal letters about her cats, created quite a lot more depth than I was expecting from this little book. If you are a Julia fan or a cat fan I highly recommend this book. It is simply ...more
Barbara
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Julia’s Cats is a short, sweet book that will be appreciated by anyone who loved Julia Child and/or cats. I was familiar with the facts of Julia’s life, but not her feline relationships. The stories, while true, were from an entirely different perspective. Photos were included. I love the little book and plan to find a permanent place for it near the cat books on my bookshelves.
Gwendolyn Caithness Cameron
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really sweet, tender book. "All feels", it's a memoir, of sorts. Seeing how Julia was aware of, respected and responded to subtleties and nuances in her relationship to cats speaks so much to how she "rolled in the world". Anyone knowing her cookbook writing or her broadcasted persona will see parallels, and be gently, softly comforted.
Kate
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3/3.5 stars. A very good quick read if you are a fan of Julia Child and a cat lover. If you only like one or the other it may not be the best book for you. The writing does leave a little to be desired: reads more like a coffee table book or a article/blog than a well researched biography, but I enjoyed it either way.
Raven
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a quick read but it didn't do much for me. Julia cooked and she had several cats throughout her life. If she wasn't there to take care of the cats, she made sure they were well cared for. The book would probably be more interesting to fans of Julia Child rather than someone whose interest is more focused on cats.
Janelle Eriksen
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book! It was such a lovely and joyous read. As a cat and Julia Child lover, this was the perfect read to take me away from the woes of the world. I smiled throughout the entire book and cried when it was sweetest. If you enjoy cats, cooking, or Julia Child, you will definitely enjoy this book!
RivkaBelle
A fun "mini" biography of Julia Childs, through the lens of her fascination with kitties. Engaging and entertaining, and a reminder of how fascinating a woman she was - what an extraordinary life! And loved all the pictures of her kitty friends ... so precious.
Julianne
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really sweet book about a kind and gentle woman who loved her cats. I appreciated it simply from a cat-lover perspective though it is also a bit travelogue and biography. Not much plot-line, no turns or surprises, just an easy read for my tired (from other things) brain.
Amy Robertson
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I never knew this side of Julia Child! I really enjoyed reading about her many cats through the years and how patient and sweet she was. Also, her relationship with Paul was very touching. So sad to read the chapter of his ill health and ultimate death.
Sharon
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-actual-book
I loved it as I have read other books about her. I was sorry to see the book end. I have cats too so it is easy to relate to Julia and her kitties!
Plaidkin
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tears. Tres chere!

Tears. My two loves, cats and cooking. Julia Child is my spirit animal. A beautiful tribute to Julia's great loves, food, Pal, and poussiequettes!
Bridget
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great little book about Julia and her love of her cats! Beautifully written. I loved seeing the pictures throughout the book as well.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
  • Free-Style Quilts: A No Rules Approach- Print on Demand Edition
  • Separation Anxiety
  • Crooked River (Pendergast, #19)
  • Burning Bright
  • Air Castle of the South: WSM and the Making of Music City
  • The Course of History: Ten Meals That Changed the World
  • Why We Can't Sleep: Women's New Midlife Crisis
  • The Second Mrs. Gioconda
  • Aquaman: Sub Diego
  • Home: A Memoir of My Early Years
  • Getting Old Will Haunt You
  • The Old Success (Richard Jury, #25)
  • Julia Child Rules: Lessons on Savoring Life
  • The Final Arrangement (Flower Shop Mystery #1)
  • La rete di protezione (Commissario Montalbano, #25)
  • Almost American Girl