Start by marking “Bedtime Is Canceled” as Want to Read:
Bedtime Is Canceled

Bedtime Is Canceled

The note read: Bedtime is canceled. Maggie thought of it. Her brother wrote it. A journalist read it. This was big news. He reported it. Before they knew it, the whole city discovered that bedtime had officially been canceled, so no one went to sleep!

Cece Meng, author of I WILL NOT READ THIS BOOK and TOUGH CHICKS, delivers once again with a pitch perfect cautionary tale, a
Published November 6th 2012 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Bedtime Is Canceled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedtime Is Canceled

Samantha
A brother and sister team tries to fool their parents by writing a note that states: Bedtime is canceled! Mom and Dad don’t buy into so the kids throw the note in the trash, but the wind picks it up and carries it across town to the desk of a newspaper reporter. The reporter makes the note headline news and people all over the world forego bedtime with bad results. The next day adults are too tired to perform tasks correctly and by dinner people are cuddling up in their dinner plates. The brothe ...more
Hannah Mousha-book
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bedtime is cancelled! The news is out. A classic 'wishful thinking' children's book with a lesson to be learned. This book incorporated lots of examples of modern technology such as i phones, i pads, laptops and other examples of communication that are now part of a child's landscape.A great bedtime read with reasons behind why there is a bedtime and what would happen if we didn't have on.
Erin Richards
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I was just confused reading this book — nothing seemed to connect. One of those books when you reach the end you just shrug and say eh.
Christian Delaney
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is charming and hilarious! Meng's quirky books always hit just the right note for me and my kids.
Melissa
The story is a fun exploration of a what-if? idea. I kept checking the front matter because these illustrations have the feel of having been a cartoon or an animation...a little like the 2D Rankin-Bass animations from my childhood. I wonder if an elementary school classroom would want to read this and discuss the media and the reliability of the transmission of information? One thing I did appreciate was the wide range of media portrayed in the text and illustrations--from handwritten-with-crayo ...more
Meghan
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The pictures looked like I was watching a cartoon.

The story was cute enough for a kid to think it was plausible to cancel bedtime. Only strike I have against it was they mentioned both texting and emailing. Takes away the possibility of "classicness" when technology will probably be outdated in 10 years.

Ms Threlkeld
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book could be used to teach kids about how information travels or the power of a rumor, but I imagine there are other books that could do a better job of it. The writing didn't flow very well and some of the illustrations, while funny, didn't make much sense.
Dolly
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining story about the way news spreads. The narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are colorful. It made me tired just to think about missing an entire night's sleep, but our girls thought it was hilarious. We enjoyed reading this book together.
R.M.
Apr 09, 2012 marked it as to-read
I love the idea of this book.
pati
Nov 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
I think this book is based on some conversation the author had with someone and then thought it was a good plot! Just my thoughts really because this story doesn't make sense!
Aileen Stewart
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I also stopped at my local library and grabbed a few books to read, and lo and behold, I found a book called Bedtime Is Canceled. Now anyone who has ever been a child can remember the efforts made to extend bedtime as far off as possible. And anyone who has ever been a child can probably remember their parents telling them they were not going to stay up all night.

It never kept us from trying though. And the incredibly funny thing about this story is how bedtime mistakenly did get canceled and th
Luisa Knight
Clever and original!

Ages: 4 - 8

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
The Brothers
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bed-time
A brother and sister conspire to get out of bedtime by writing a note saying it was cancelled. Their parents are not persuaded by their efforts, but their note flies out of the window and onto the desk of a gullible news reporter. Thus it goes out across the media that bedtime is cancelled and hijinx ensue.

Illustrations are cute.
Carolyn
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-toddlers
Cute idea to show how hard life would be without bedtime. Might be good for kids rebelling against bedtime. But it felt too fast - they could have fleshed it out more.
Patty
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-to-give
Loved the illustrations and the story is cute.
Hope
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved. Will be getting for a niece or two come Christmas.
Emyrose8
3.5- love the style of illustrating, good book to read to show kids that not everything in print is true. Could lead to a discussion about how to tell if information/a source is reliable or not.
Barb Keltner
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not a new book but a fun one to use to lead into discussing "fake news."
Kari
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My kiddo is 4 and wants to effect change in the world and loved the idea that she could make such a difference. It was very cute.
Janet
Nov 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this one. Especially I did not like the face illustrations and the text do not flow. Good premise for a picture book, bedtime is canceled but not this title.
Lenna
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Julia
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
short, sweet and funny. will hopefully make the task of putting kids to bed if not easier then just a little bit more humorous
Marissa Burkey
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit long for storytime purposes, but something kids would enjoy.
Lynn  Davidson
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A funny story in which two siblings cause quite a stir when they get bedtime cancelled. Great illustrations.
Rommel Sison
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
6-year-old daughter: 4 stars
5-year-old daughter: 4 stars
Paige Smith
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just when parents thought that it couldn’t get any harder being a parent, bed time was cancelled. This was such a fun and playful book about how a town would react if bedtime was canceled. All of the adults went crazy and the children went wild. It was a creative idea which I really enjoyed!
Jessie
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Very much about consequences. A little odd in that the kids who originally advocated for bedtime being canceled gave in when their parents disagreed, before the note made it out into the world, so it doesn't really seem like they had a lesson to learn?
Leslie
Here is a picture book that will resonate with most children and their parents–Natalya still groans at the mention of bedtime! and we still voice the reminder with a steely edge. Natalya was and is clever in her push to extend her waking hours, but she never wrote a note to try and pass off as some sort of edict from on high. Although, like the parents in Cece Meng’s story, we would have recognized the handwriting and practiced some common sense.

The children throw the note away, but it drifts ou
Klaudia Janek
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: libres
Maggie and her brother wrote a note that “bedtime was canceled” and gave it to their parents. Their parents blew it off and threw it in the trash. Somehow the note ended up blowing out the window and landing on a newspaper reporters desk. It was published as front page news the next day. The principal was enforcing this new decree and parents were not happy about it. News traveled fast via email and the evening news. Kids played all night. Unfortunately, the next morning weird things happened du ...more
Emmaline MacBeath
Maggie and her brother write a note saying Bedtime is Canceled. Their parents don't believe it so the note goes in the trash. But the note blows out the window--just like in Mary Poppins--to a newspaper where it gets printed in the news. People believe the message and some crazy consequences follow. Maggie and her brother write another note, Bedtime is NOT Canceled, and give it to the newspaper. All is right again in the world...one hopes.

The illustrations are created digitally and have a watchi
  • A Perfect Day
  • Olive and the Big Secret
  • Pass It On!
  • Splat Says Thank You!
  • Lester's Dreadful Sweaters
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • Little Owl's Orange Scarf
  • hello! hello!
  • Penguin and Pinecone (Penguin)
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • Bedtime for Monsters
  • Blowin' in the Wind
  • The Pirates Next Door
  • Pig Kahuna
I was born in Walnut Creek, California, the middle child of five kids. Don't believe everything you hear about the forgotten middle child. We have our methods for getting noticed. My siblings excelled at everything academic. I excelled at daydreaming. My parents were not amused.

My experiences volunteering at a homeless shelter while in college helped me understand the importance of communication a