Start by marking “The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A Novel of Snow and Courage” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A Novel of Snow and Courage

The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A Novel of Snow and Courage

Flora the pig was born for adventure: “If it’s unexplored and needs to get dug up, call me. I’m your pig,” she says. The day Flora spots a team of sled dogs is the day she sets her heart on becoming a sled pig. Before she knows it, she’s on board a ship to Antarctica for the most exhilarating—and dangerous—adventure of her life. This poignant novel of a purposeful pig is s ...more
Published January 8th 2013 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

Kara
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pigs, antartica

At the end of the day Charlotte's Web is the better book and will always be the better book for reasons any grad student would love to write an 80 page paper on, explaining them to you.

However, put the characters of Wilbur and Flora snot to snot, and, hooves down, Flora will come out on top. Every time.

Wilbur cries. And whines. And bosses and bullies and demands and gives up easily and overall just expects everything to be handed to him, with no effort on his part.

Flora explores. And politely as
Betsy
Review originally posted on Literaritea

This book came out on my birthday this year (January 8) along with titles such as Hokey Pokey, Navigating Early, and The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brockett. Despite the "potential Newbery buzz" for books like Hokey Pokey and Navigating Early (both were on the early "to read" list at Heavy Medal, for instance), my favorite of this group is The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A Novel of Snow and Courage.

So, why do I like this little chapter book
Jonathan Peto
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the very start, I was impressed by the narrative voice the author established. Flora, the main character, is a pig. For the first quarter of the book, she’s stuck in a pig pen. Yet, it works! It does not drag at all because Flora’s enthusiasm and zest are extremely engaging. There’s not much going on in a pig pen, but Flora possesses all the curiosity of a young child and she engages with the outside as much as possible from within the very small confines of her world.

Chris Kurtz conveys al
Bookslut
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: iris, gillie
I think...Chris Kurtz should thank his illustrator dearly. The cover of this book is so ridiculously, irresistibly cute that, coupled with its title/concept, I was drawn like a moth to a flame. And upon reflection, I can see how it would be hard to make a novel in the South Pole exciting, because there is not a whole lot going on down there. No potential drama with polar bears, no Inuit, no encroaching -winter-as-summer-fades type problems (because winter never leaves), so it's down to a pig and ...more
Margo Tanenbaum
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Children's books are filled with memorable pig characters. Classics such as Freddie the Detective, Charlotte's friend Wilbur, and Babe the sheep-pig have been joined in more recent years by characters such as Poppleton, Mercy Watson, and Nanny Piggins. To those wonderful porcines we must add a new member: Flora the sled-pig.

What animal lover, young or old, could resist a book with the unlikely title: The Adventures of a South Pole Pig? How on earth would a pig wind up in the Antarctic, we wonde
carrietracy
Jun 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens, pigs
I was relieved when I finished this. I didn't find that I cared about any of the characters. Despite the title, which lead me to believe there would lots of adventure, it was not particularly exciting. Several long and dull chapters of the book are devoted to how the pig and a cat kill rats aboard ship.

But what really irritated me was just how dumb Flora was. It took her over half the book to realize that she was being brought along as food. And even then, she only figured it out because she wa
Wendy
Cute story about a pig who just wants to have adventures. There were a lot of cute characters that helped her along the way. The story seemed to meander at times and I couldn't quite tell what direction it was going in. Overall though, a good story.
Amanda
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This reminded me a lot of Charlotte's Web...what is a pigs purpose? But I liked that it was Flora, the pig, making things different for herself rather than another creature. I also enjoyed how it was partially set in Antarctica :)
Hannah S.
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was pretty cute. As a pig lover, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Joe
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a story of a pig who is tricked into getting on a boat and who is forced to fight rats to the death. Also, people keep threatening to eat her. Eventually, (view spoiler)

Lots of fun for kids!
Kayla
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super cute story of overcoming weaknesses and not giving up! Flora was a fun and memorable protagonist, and I’m sure we’ll be reminding each other to “do things the pig way.” 😉
Ahalya
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Vish s first chapter book ! quite an inspiring story !
Tayler K
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so cute! I actually would really like for this to be made into a movie. The characters were so well done, I could clearly hear different voices for Flora, Luna, and Sophia while I was reading. Although it's sadly not done much these days, I think this would make a really cute hand-drawn animation film using the same line drawing/sketched style as the illustrations and cover art.

And as much as I enjoyed Flora as a main character, as a cat person I loved that there was not one, but t
Barbara
Fans of Charlotte's Web and any animal story that tugs at the heart will relish this one. Flora dreams of living an adventure-filled life outside her pigpen, and tries to emulate the sled dogs she sees training nearby. When she is plucked from her pen and taken aboard a ship, she is sure that great things await. But alas, Flora has only been chosen for the food she can provide on an expedition to Antarctica, and she can't even enjoy the food the cook provides since she must fight off hordes of r ...more
Joanne Zienty
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-fiction
I don't quite know what to say about this book. It's definitely influenced by Charlotte's Web, but lacking most of that book's charm, wit and emotion. Flora may be a spunky pig, but I didn't quite get the "world" of the book, a world in which gasoline-powered trucks and wooden ships heading off to the Antarctic full of rats and a cabin boy co-exist. A world in which a crew carrying cargo for a South Pole expedition would carry a live pig, even though they previously set up food outposts along th ...more
Kim
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reminiscent of Charlottes Web, it's hard not to enjoy this tale of a determined pig. Flora longs for adventure, and adventure finds her. Along the way she finds the true meaning of friendship, teamwork, and gratitude. Adorable and sweet.
Josh Newhouse
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Terrible title, retro snore cover belieing a great book in the vein of it's inspiration Charlotte's Web... hopefully ssyra will get it well-deserved positive attention!
Jana
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Very much like Charlotte's Web. I was not impressed with it however many of my young students will probably enjoy it.
Cheryl Meredith
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
As it says on the cover 'a story of snow and courage'
Ena Kanai
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this book, you can find courage, friendship, teamwork, fortitude, challenge and many other ideas. I've tried to read this when I was young but because I didn't have interest in reading, I didn't read the whole book. But now as a middle schooler, I got this great opportunity to read books.

This book is a little bit lower than my Lexile level, but because I haven't read books in awhile, it was perfect. I could find a few connections between this main character 'Flora' and I. One thing I found s
Jessica Dudenhofer Beery
Sonlight's recommended reading lists have been solid so far - this is another example of a book I may not have pulled off the shelf, but it turned out to be great and a lot of fun to read.
A very random topic (a pig who dreams of being a sled dog/pig), but the underlining lessons were solid. Teamwork, never giving up on your dream, respecting others, sacrificing for others, etc.
I already recommended this book to my pig-loving 2nd grader friend...but I suspect several other people would enjoy it
Noelle
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anastasia
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this along with my four year old. This was our fist chapter book together and he loved listening about Floras adventures. This book is sweet and innocent. Perfect for children. Flora is nothing but a farm pig living in her pen with her mother and siblings. But flora isn’t content just being there, she wants to see more. She wants to know more. She meets various farm animals and starts a vigorous adventure where she learns a lot about herself and the world. Would definitely recommend this ...more
Seas the Day in 2nd Grade
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a very brave pig named Flora who is hungry for adventure! Flora wants to be apart of a sled dog team, but she is a pig! You should read this book, because it has powerful emotions and lots of drama! The Adventures of the South Pole Pig will teach you many different lessons like: how to be persistent, strong, brave, to follow your dreams & NEVER GIVE UP!
Ruth
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Podling 4 *loved* this book and asked me to read it, claiming that I would love it too. It didn't take me long to figure out why she liked it so much (talking animals having adventures) and why she thought I would like it (polar exploration). It really is super cute. I'm glad I read it.
Erica
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this because the elementary school I work at is doing it for their One School, One Book program. What a heartwarming and delightful story! So much fun! And kids from all grade levels at my school are enjoying too!
Carol Tatum
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-shelf
Angela Wix
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bugs-books
I read this aloud to my 4 year old, in the beginning he was very excited and enjoyed the characters. Toward the middle he began getting bored and wasn’t as interested, then the last 5 or so chapters his excitement for the books came back. We enjoyed the book overall.
Carmen Imes
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a delightful story! My 9-year-old has read it multiple times already, and was delighted to re-read it aloud with me. I wish you could have heard his animated voice when it was his turn to read. He was pulling with Flora every step of the way. So much fun!
Marlee
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book aloud to my daughter and she loved it so much. I found I enjoyed it too, though mostly as something to share with her. It was engaging, funny, sweet, silly, and filled with great friendships.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root
  • The Mouse with the Question Mark Tail
  • Lucky Ducklings
  • Some Good News (Cobble Street Cousins #4)
  • Lara's Gift
  • Penelope Crumb (Penelope Crumb #1)
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park (Lulu, #1)
  • Nuts to You
  • Ivy Takes Care
  • The Truth of Me
  • Odd Velvet
  • Elvis and the Underdogs
  • Lantern Sam and the Blue Streak Bandits
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel ÷ 1 Dog = Chaos (Twitch the Squirrel, #1)
  • The High Skies Adventures of Blue Jay the Pirate
  • Chews Your Destiny (Gumazing Gum Girl, #1)
  • Princess Cora and the Crocodile
  • Hide and Seek (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #2)
“I think we're all aiming to be something better than what everyone thinks we were born to be” 5 likes
“She looked all around. It was so strange to feel trapped in the middle of so much open space. But that was exactly how she felt.” 2 likes