Start by marking “Calling Dr. Laura” as Want to Read:
Calling Dr. Laura

Calling Dr. Laura

When Nicole Georges was two years old, her family told her that her father was dead. When she was twenty-three, a psychic told her he was alive. Her sister, saddled with guilt, admits that the psychic is right and that the whole family has conspired to keep him a secret. Sent into a tailspin about her identity, Nicole turns to radio talk-show host Dr. Laura Schlessinger fo ...more
Published January 22nd 2013 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about Calling Dr. Laura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calling Dr. Laura

Start your review of Calling Dr. Laura
Randa
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this was fabulous. The comparisons to Fun Home are completely unfair. Just because Bechdel and Georges are both queer, doesn't mean one book makes the other redundant. I'd like to see someone say about a white straight guy writer, "Oh, some other white straight guy already did that." The story packs an emotional punch and the art is equally emotionally wrenching. I loved the ways in which Nikki was portrayed as a small child in the drawings vs an adult. And I loved the raw honest portr ...more
Raina
This is one of the most personal stories I've ever read.

Georges pulls no punches - she talks about her physical, mental, emotional, relational, and social problems with candor and rawness.

This story is less linear than I expected - it's less about Dr. Laura, it's less about her family, and it's more about her and where she was at during this very personal moment of an era. It's more about her romantic relationship with a rockstar named Radar.

It makes me think about how, really, all of our liv
Deborah Markus
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
I feel sad and kind of guilty that I didn't like this graphic memoir as much as I expected to. Sad because, well, duh – it's disappointing to be disappointed, and this sounded so promising. Guilty because Nicole Georges definitely had a story to tell, and I feel as if I caught maybe half of it.

Partly that's because of Georges' style. I read plenty of comics and graphic novels, and I've never found it difficult to tell who was talking. In this book, I often did.

Partly, though, I kept looking for
Jan Philipzig
Both whimsical and forthright, cute and frank, loose and firm, delicate and determined - I love it!
Oriana
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book #41 for J&C!!

I am suuuuch a sucker for the indie lady comic memoirs. Plus, if that lady is a vegan lesbian rocker from Portland who keeps chickens in her backyard, falls asleep during times of extreme stress, seduces girls by baking them peanut butter cups, and has staggering familial issues to contend with? Well. Then I will certainly fall in love.

It's true that this book is a bit disjointed and jumbly; she takes long digressions into points that are not all that important (like the title
David Schaafsma
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
The art is great, in this graphic memoir, and Nick seems fun and interesting, but also seems sort of shallow, in a way, something's missing, even as we confront lies about who her father was, abusive step dads, broken relationships, in this coming out story.

It feels like this BIG and attractive book is trying to balance being funny with sharing oh wow details about her life. . . but it doesn't come off as oh wow to me, really, even though the father/coming out stories are the two very center-pi
Sesana
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Nicole is a very likeable person, and her story is exactly the sort of thing that dramatic memoirs are made of. Believing that her father died of colon cancer when she was very young, she suddenly learns as an adult that he never died at all, and her mother has been deliberately hiding that from her for her entire life. That's a huge, dramatic revelation, and I expected a huge, dramatic story to come from it. Not so much. Nicole's response is very subdued. I can't imagine waiting over a year to ...more
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I do not condone calling Dr. Laura for advice and you should never (EVER) read one of her childrens' books, as they will hurt your eyes and your soul. I do support you reading this memoir that features Dr. Laura and my fair city, though. Wholeheartedly!!
Kevin
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's so easy to fall into this endearing and bittersweet graphic memoir. It's as good as Bechdel's Fun Home but it also has a wonderful overcast Portland vibe through it all as Georges's family secrets hang over her like a cloud. It's a sad read at times but Georges is able to make each character (family members, girlfriends) into sympathetic characters, even when they're flaws are showing. And of course, the artwork is fantastic too.
Melody
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked everything about this graphic memoir which conceals a bit of mystery at its heart. I loved the fearless way Georges examines her own behaviour throughout. The drawing style is charming. And she's local!
Kurt
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kurt by: Amazon Vine
This graphic memoir is a fragile and beautiful examination of a young woman learning hard truths and trying to find love and support as she figures out what to do with them. Many aspects of the book are pretty mundane - challenges of life as a vegan, karaoke shows, care for chickens and dogs... Life as a young cartoonist in Portland. I can see how many readers will fail to engage with the material, but I liked it.

Mostly, I love how pure Georges' heart is throughout the book. She tackles the eno
Dawn
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked it, but something was missing. The only "WOW!" moment I had was at the very end. This memoir is worth reading for the ending alone. There was closure, though what happens was a complete shock (as I'm sure it was to Nicole). It was touching, though, with a small offering of hope - both of which seemed missing throughout the rest of the book. Although there is some emotion and stabs at hope, none of it feels deep, lasting, or real. In other words, there isn't much resolution.

What I liked:
Robert
I truly enjoyed this graphic novel memoir from Nicole J. Georges, who, along with such folks as Annie Murphy, Aron Nels Steinke, and Jesse Reklaw, represents to me what the vibrant, influential alternative comics scene of Portland, Oregon is all about. Georges's delicate portrait of family dysfunction and unraveling secrets is by turns wan, painful, and whimsical, and never less than involving. Her warm, fanciful drawings manage to alleviate some of often grim subject matter (her animal drawings ...more
Sara
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
HEY GUYS LOOK, I READ A BOOK MEANT FOR GROWN UPS. I saw Nicole Georges speak at the library, and I could not resist buying a copy and reading it immediately. I am really glad I did -- I LOVE Nicole's art. She is pretty brilliant at creating mesmerizing images, as well as combining them with words. I could stare at each one of the panels for years, and there were so many beautiful moments I wish I could get prints of and frame on my wall. (I can't stop thinking about the amazing three frames wher ...more
Abby
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix, glbtq, memoir
Devoured this absorbing and beautifully illustrated graphic memoir in one big Saturday night reading binge and throughly enjoyed it. Until her early adulthood, Nicole Georges believed her father had died when she was a baby. In fact, that's what everyone in her family told her and she had no reason to doubt them. Then she visited a psychic who told her that her father was still alive -- and unlike all the psychic's other predictions, it turned out this one was true.

For those not already familiar
Jordan
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Laura Schlessinger is.... well, she is, that's for sure. Her confrontational, no-nonsense, (off-the-rails-BITCHY) style of counseling is infamous, and attracts a wide audience out of sheer WTF-ery.

Nicole Georges described her PERFECTLY in this memoir, by comparing her to the mother from Dinosaurs for the shape of her hair and her vaguely reptilian qualities:

ROFL

Believe me, I lost it.

So, with the weight of Dr. Laura's reputation and cult following, why would you call her? What level of desperat
Hannah Garden
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
JULY 2020:

The original owner of my house hand-dug a large, swimmable pool in the backyard, and then the owner after that lined it with roofing rubber, so when my husband bought it about a year before I met him it was just a big weird rubberlined muckhole with some standing water if it rained, but lately I’ve been skimming it and we made a big push to clear all the old gross algae out of it and I keep the area around it sort of swept and arranged and the wildsown landscaping is luscious luscious
Lord Beardsley
Sometimes, while reading this, I felt as if I was reading my life story. That doesn't really happen so much to me, but I am very happy that this book exists.

As a queer cisgender woman who is a drawrer', I am very grateful to see Nicole Georges' presence in the world of graphic novels. Her work is poignant and evocative, and it is SO REFRESHING to not see perfection. Things are a bit out of proportion and at times a bit messy...and I really, really respect seeing that. It's an aesthetic that is n
Megan
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Feelings! I really got into the emotions of Nicole. I like the art and the humor. Lovely, lovely, lovely!
Sue
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found myself at the Salt Lake City Public Library for an afternoon, and I had read they had a great graphic novel collection so I found a book to read there. Georges' memoir is very little about Dr Laura. It's a story about finding her father, whom she had been told was dead, and about her dating life and her relationship with her mother. (Not-much-of-a-spoiler alert: the mom who lied about Dad being dead does not come off so great in this book). It's a sad story about family dysfunction and b ...more
Ciara
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
well, i thought it was great. nicole is a fantastic artist, especially when it comes to self-portraits & animals, & as this is a memoir full to the gills with dogs & chickens, i thought it was really beautiful. i also can hardly fathom the amount of work that must go into creating a 200+-page graphic memoir.

full disclosure: i have known nicole for a long time. we first met before she ever moved to portland, when we were both teenagers. we are both now in our mid-30s, so you do the math. but i am
Selwa
I feel like a book that I read in a day should have gotten a higher rating, but here we are. The description of the book sounded more interesting to me than the actual execution of the story. I mean, finding out your dead dad isn't really dead because a psychic told you so, and then having that confirmed by your older sisters who were there? Jesus, that sounds amazing! That's why I had this on my to-read list. I guess that sort of thing doesn't exactly happen in a vacuum ... this isn't the story ...more
Stacy Fetters
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recently if anyone has had a secret that rocked their family, they have written a graphic memoir about it. And I'm so done with those, But this will restore your faith with those pesky little buggers.

N. Georges doesn't pull punches or sugarcoat all the weirdness that is her family. From having stomach problems, your dad dying and being a con man and your own mom not wanting to hear the truth about your sexuality. She lets her flag fly and doesn't give a damn.

I'll be checking out her Zines here
Misty
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated memoir about a woman's journey of finding herself and uncovering a family secret. Not only did the telling of her story bring me close to tears, but how amazing the detail, art, and love that was put into the book. I definitely want to follow Nicole's work and would love to have a crafting party with her!
Stewart Tame
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the better autobiographical GNs I've read. Nicole is living away from home as a young woman. She ponders coming out to her mother and the identity of her father who she's believed to be dead. Yes, an actual phone call to Dr. Laura figures into the tale. The artwork is lovely and conveys a real sense of coziness and warmth which adds to the story's charm.
Amanda L
Includes a transcript of a call with conservative wing-nut, ridiculously judge-y Dr. Laura Schlessinger! Gotta be worth a laugh. A worthy story, to boot. Family secrets, deception, and an inspiring, quirky woman's quest to uncover the truth triggered by a serendipitous visit to a psychic. So much conveyed in relatively few words. Damn fine illustrations.
Lovely drawings, intriguing story and a unique perspective/story-telling style. One of the better graphic novels I've read in a long time. I especially liked the way NJG uses different styles to differentiate between and also merge childhood and adult experiences.
Jenna
This is amazing and everyone should go out and read it posthaste.
Teisha
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Dark, fluid, and definitely not what I expectes.
Amy Layton
With detailed black and white illustrations and a lovely tangential manner of telling her story (context is sometimes provided through flashbacks), Georges' memoir of how she found out about her father still being alive until the point where she calls Dr. Laura is filled with ups and downs as this shocking piece of information seems to take the backburner to her life.

Honestly, Georges' life is that of an honest to god PDX lesbian.  Which makes sense, given that she is one.  But from moving in
AfterEllen.com Bo...: Calling Dr. Laura. 3 57 Feb 28, 2013 09:25AM

• Displacement: A Travelogue
  • Commute: An Illustrated Memoir of Female Shame
  • Today is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life
  • Dumb: Living Without a Voice
Nicole J. Georges is an award-winning writer, and illustrator from Portland, Oregon. Nicole has been publishing the autobiographical comic Invincible Summer since 2000, and has toured the country extensively, including two month-long appearances on Michelle Tea’s Sister Spit: Next Generation. Her work has been featured in many publications, including Tin House, Vanity Fair, and Slate.com.

Her grap