Start by marking “Nudge (Library Edition): Awakening Each Other to the God Who's Already There” as Want to Read:
Nudge (Library Edition): Awakening Each Other to the God Who's Already There

Nudge (Library Edition): Awakening Each Other to the God Who's Already There

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  229 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Pay attention. Brace yourself. This audio book is set to revolutionize your understanding of evangelism. That revolution stands to affect not just your everyday habits, including encounters you have with other people, but the very roots of your faith, the range of your mission, and the limits of your freedom. In the tradition of The Gospel According to Starbucks, this grou ...more
Audio CD
Published July 1st 2011 by Oasis Audio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nudge (Library Edition), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nudge (Library Edition)

Andy Ziesemer
I recently finished reading "Nudge" by Leanord Sweet. This book was given to me by a friend who recommended it for me based upon the work that we do in evangelism.

The most impactful concept that stood out from the first half of the book was the idea that as people on mission, we often think or act as though we are packing up Jesus into a backpack to take him someplace He has yet been. How far from the truth this idea is in actuality, as we are not "bringing" Jesus anyplace he has yet to be. We h
Jacob Coldwell
The concept is beneficial

Despite needing an editor to help reduce the amount of distractions that seem to pop up, if you persist in reading you'll mine out some really big and helpful points. Perhaps because the idea is so easily ignored by our culture, the author thought it was vital to look at the same idea in so many ways.
Jeff Bjorgan
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Sweet is notoriously scattered (I purchased the book based off of John Stackhouse's unique critique-including recommendation published in the book, where he states, "It sometimes, and maddeningly, oversimplifies and underexplains."), I really enjoyed reading "Nudge". The basic premise of evangelism-as-paying-attention (nudging people towards what God is up to) may sound at first a bit fluffy and, to some, a cop-out of the hard work of "real kingdom work" (like preaching to your neighbou ...more
Christy Lockstein
Nudge by Leonard Sweet is an extraordinarily intelligent and completely out-of-the-box thinking about evangelism. Sweet, a well known author and pastor, wants readers to awaken to the world of nudges, the ones we receive from God and others and the ones we can give to others to teach them about God. Evangelism has acquired a bad name occasionally because it often becomes one person out-talking the other and trying to force ideas down their throat. Nudge completely turns traditional evangelism on ...more
Reinhardt
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful meander through the Sweet school of discipleship. Reading this books makes you wish you could hang with Leonard and pick up the scraps of wisdom he continually throws off. And he has such a pleasant, optimistic manner you gotta think he's a riot to have beers with.

The content is similar to a number of other Sweet books. He argues convincingly that Christianity and Christians should be more real and more pleasant. The You-Catch-More-Flies-With-Honey school of discipleship. He is (mild
Becky
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
Dr. Sweet is a true wordsmith and this determines who does and does not enjoy his reading. I was at first afraid to read "Nudge" as the preface discussed the importance of Evangelism. I get chills just thinking about Evangelism, probably because I equate it to the early 1980s and old ladies passing out tracts at restaurants. However, Sweet brilliantly draws the reader into true desire for evangelism with the understanding that God is out there, at work, inviting his loved ones to join Him. Sweet ...more
Markus
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't quite the book I was hoping for. I wanted something practical for encouraging people toward Jesus and how to do that.

What I got was far more theoretical. I wasn't sure if the author was attributing everything that ever happened as a sign from God, cheapening the real thing. Also if felt rather dangerous and the topic of false signs was barely acknowledged. I know scriptures of the enemy disguised as an angel of light that should be mentioned.

I really like the concept of "nudging" othe
Wyndy
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nudge is about using your instincts to evangelize. Instead of pushing hard learn to recognize the signs of Jesus being everywhere and in everyone. Use those signs to make people aware that they already have Jesus, they just need to acknowledge it. I found the book very difficult to read, I'm not sure, but I think the construction of the sentences were off. At first I thought perhaps it was written as a textbook but since reading it again, I believe it's the use of incomplete language. The book i ...more
Sandra
We discover
The lover of our souls
Has His eyes upon us
As He smiles upon us
Singing songs over us with joy
Our God who formed us
Is for us
Transforms us
When we spend time with Christ
All we need
Is found when we seek
God first
He feeds us, our thirst
He attends to
As streams of life-giving
Goodness and mercy
With fullness to us overflow
---
Brad Henderson
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book from maverick theologian, historian and futurist Leonard Sweet. This one takes evangelism into the postmodern era by reminding us that it is about awakening others to a reality already in their midst, if not in their being. Contrasted with the traditional/conventional model of evangelism being about something the we have to impose on others from the outside, this approach is much more organic, relational and true to the embodiment of Jesus.
Mar
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book had potential, but it wasn't fulfilled for me. Sweet explores how people need to get in tune with their five senses in order to be in tune with God and His working in the world, and in order to "Nudge" others in the direction of recognising God exists and is present and we can "sense" Him if we're paying attention.

However, the writing style and Sweet's attempts to be "witty" and metaphorical detracted from his points for me.
Steve
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book. Honestly. The author's heart is in the right place, and it started off well. About halfway through, I realized I don't have any idea what he's talking about, and I cut my losses. Maybe I'm just too literal a person to get his use of metaphors and odd ethereal concepts, but I couldn't get a hold of this book. Nudge it back on the shelf in the bookstore.
John Malsch
Thaler/Sunstein – if you are interested in public policy and the human condition than this book is a must read. Against Milton Freidman and free markets of the University of Chicago has long stood for in economics. They now realize that most peopled need a nudge to do the right thing that will help them in the long run.
Erik
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intelligent and challenging viewpoint of evangelism that Christians who are looking for outside the box approach that they may never have considered - showing or nudging people to see how God is working in their lives rather than sharing how God is moving in yours. Recommended. Ninth book I read of Frank Violas top 100.
Dan Barnes
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book from a philosophical standpoint. The concept of living and interacting with all our senses is important. Our relationship with Christ with each other needs to be deeper and more participatory. I think that is what Sweet advocates in this idea of nudge evangelism. Good read.
Chad
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leonard Sweet did it again. He helped me to revive an old way of thinking that was dying and breathe new life into it. Len made a way for all of us to know we can still be the gospel, even with all our shortcomings.
David Mullens
I enjoyed this book, especially the discussion on attention and being fully present. I know some will take issue with some of the book, but I believe Sweet is on the right track culturally. God is all around us...we need to wake up to his presence.
Tamra LeValley
One of the best and easy to understand book that helps a person "nudge" others without overstepping any invisible lines that we all have. It not only helps one understand what a church today needs but gives you specified "instructions" or "steps" to help you proceed.
Scott
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet nails the essence of what it looks like to read the signs of the spirit around us. Excellent, practical book on living life with full attention and fully aware of Gods presence in our day to day lives and how that affects our ability to share God with others...
Cheryl
I'm only on chapter two, but thus far, I *highly* recommend this book!
Andy Anderson
Great book! Nudge people to the Gospel...
Robbie Pruitt
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a useful resource to think more deeply about evangelism.
Jackie Hayter
It starts of well, but goes on too long. He makes excellent points, and there are some great quotable lines.
Dave Hall
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Opens our eyes to how God nudges us and others toward him through our five senses.
Cresanna Kahrl
Thought-provoking. More philosophical than practical. Well-written, but lacking application.
Ilsun
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
쫌 괜찮았음..
Don Gubler
Overblown and overdone, but still some good thoughts.
Margaret Chind
Jun 29, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: FIRST
*Thanks to TBBMedia for providing a copy for review through FIRST Wild Card Tours.*
Jay Hawes
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Modern adaptation concerning prevenient grace.
Nancy
  • Unconditional?: The call of Jesus to radical forgiveness
  • Responsible Grace
  • Psalm 91
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • The Dale Carnegie Leadership Mastery Course: How To Challenge Yourself and Others To Greatness
  • Philosophy for Understanding Theology
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • Jesus: The Only Way to God: Must You Hear the Gospel to Be Saved?
  • The Purpose and Power of Authority
  • A Plain Account of Christian Perfection (Foundations of Faith) (Foundations of Faith)
  • The MacKay MBA of Selling in the Real World
  • Philosophy and Theology
Leonard I. Sweet is an author, preacher, scholar, and ordained United Methodist clergyman currently serving as the E. Stanley Jones Professor of Evangelism at Drew Theological School, in Madison, New Jersey; and a Visiting Distinguished Professor at George Fox University in Portland, Oregon.
More about Leonard Sweet...
“You are what you pay attention to. No attention, no life. Everything comes to life when you pay attention to” 2 likes
“The church needs to be so clear about its identity as the body of Christ that everything it does generates a gravitational pull toward the heart.” 1 likes