Start by marking “Angel Sister” as Want to Read:
Angel Sister

Angel Sister (Rosey Corner #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,618 Ratings  ·  240 Reviews
It is 1936 and Kate Merritt works hard to keep her family together. Her father has slipped into alcoholism, her mother is trying to come to grips with their dire financial situation, and her sisters seem to remain blissfully oblivious to all of it. Kate could never have imagined that a dirty, abandoned little girl named Lorena Birdsong would be just what her family needs. ...more
Audiobook, eAudiobook
Published February 1st 2011 by Oasis Audio (first published December 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Sister

Carly
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-favorites
Every once in a while, I get to read a book that I just do not want to end. That is what Angel Sister was to me. I fell in love with this book very quickly and it grew on me more and more as I kept reading. Now, a small word of warning, this book is not a fast read. It is one of those books that needs to be savored and read at a nice, slow pace. I am actually really starting to like books that read that way because they have a lot of substance and a story with characters I want to spend a lot of ...more
Cecelia
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brenda
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its the summer of 1936 and the US is in the throws of the Great Depression. Fourteen year old Kate Merritt and her family live in the tiny town of Rosey Corner Ky. The Merritt sisters are totally different, Evangeline, is sixteen, and totally lovestruck, while ten year old Victoria loves to fish, leaving Kate to be the responsible one. Her father Victor, is dealing with inner demons, and more often than not turns to alcohol to get thru the day, while Kate's mother Nadine is a steady influence, s ...more
Judy
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victor, Nadine, and Kate Merritt are the main characters in this book. The story revolves around their past and present lives. Victor has a drinking problem which started when he was serving in WWI. I strongly suspect that Preston Merritt, Victor's Father, played a big part in it too. Preston was a man that his son could never please. Victor could do nothing right in his Father's eyes; the reason goes back to when Victor was growing up.

Nadine Merritt is the Daughter of Preacher Reece. She too c
Cheryl
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Merritt is the middle sister. Though if you met Kate you would never guess she was so young. She is wiser beyond her young years. Kate is strong. She learned right away that being the middle sister meant caring for yourself. Kate has only cried about a dozen times. Kate helps care for her father. She tucks him in every time that he comes home drunk, helps her mother and cares for younger sister.

Lorena Birdsong is just five years old. Lorena is a pretty brave little girl. When Kate found Lo
Carrie
I need to move this to my need to finish list, because I can't go on reading it right now. And honestly, I could end up moving it to my newly created DNF shelf.

Some people might find this book enjoyable. But not me, at least not at this current time. I was becoming so bored while reading it, I found myself drifting off and wanting to do other things. So for now I'm DNFing this book.

I really don't like not finishing a book, in fact I have made myself finish many books over the years that I have
Bonnie
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann Gabhart is a phenomenal writer. Angel Sister is my first Ann Gabhart book, but I already have another waiting for me. I'm hooked.

This story of family life in the Kentucky of the 1930's came to life through the writer's voice and those of her characters-truly exquisite. It's a story of love and forgiveness of enduring through troubled times and then pushing on.

I would have given this book five stars, but the pacing is too slow for my personal tastes. Don't let that stop you from picking up a
Cindi
I had a little trouble getting into this story especially with it jumping between time periods. However, I am so thankful that I stuck with it.

Talk about flawed characters. The author does an excellent job creating realistic personalities. With the way the novel is written we get to learn about Kate's parents and how their lives together started as well as their current circumstances. Having this history brings with it details that explain so much.

It's amazing how one little girl can alter the
Loraine
This book had a rather slow pace but a very good storyline and characters. I really liked the variety of characters that the author included and they were very realistic with a wide range of personalities and character traits. Each had their good and bad points. I look forward to reading more books from this author as this was the first I have read.
Mary-ann
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a slow start but got better the further I read. I found the end of the story a bit predictable.
Ellenh
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just okay, I liked the story okay, but hadn't realized it was Christian Fiction, and although I am a christian, I don't generally read CF.
Sue Kelly-Kohlman
A memorable novel. The time period, post World War I during the Depression is realistically portrayed. The characters are believable and well-developed. As a middle child, myself, I could identify the Angel Sister's sense of responsibility as the doer among the kids, as well as being the one to keep the alcoholic family together as best she could. The many psychological situations that later affected the characters' lives were well developed for a number of the key characters in a true-to-life m ...more
Carinne Gee
I read this without knowing that much about it, except a little plot blurb. It was a sweet story....a little too sweet. The plot was sweet and I was invested in the characters. It was squeaky clean and had a nice ending, with some wonderful messages. I had 2 big issues with the book. The author jumped back and forth between present time and in the past...which I actually like. But, the past wasn't even in order. It jumped all over the place and really got annoying. It didn't flow nicely I don't ...more
Linda
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Angel Sister is an interesting read about a rural family struggling to get through the depression. The family consists of a mother and father and three daughters. Much of the household work falls to the middle child, Kate, as she is the sensible child and is always willing to help her parents. The father has a drinking problem that is a main focus in the novel . One day Kate finds a deserted child on the church steps. This becomes a second problem in the story . This story could be suitable for ...more
Marilyn Holland
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read.

I was very impressed and liked this book. It's a Christian book and very well written. I was surprised as have read Christian books in the past that were quite shallow. This is not like those. It gets deep into the effects of WW I on the husband of Nadine. And how he turns to alcohol because of that. It's great and well worth your time.
susan kozoman
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A page Turner!

This story really grabbed me and was hard to put down. Wonderful character development, both the lovable and the not so much. And the thread of God's love and promises running through it. Brought both laughter and tears. Highly recommend it and am looking forward to book #2!
Michelle
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of forgiveness

The characters in this book had some difficulties to overcome and dealt with them in ways I could relate to. I fell in love with Kate. As a middle daughter myself I felt a kinship to some of her sisterly squabbles. More than that I loved her spunk! Overall, a good summer read that left me with food for thought.
Aimee
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't generally read Christian fiction, but I do appreciate a clean story with some spiritual depth to it. This isn't too preachy, just a well-written story of redemption and healing. I would recommend.
Margaret Nelson
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd heard good things about this book, so was happy when it was on sale, and was not disappointed! Gabhart has done a great job of weaving her mother's and aunts' memories into an unforgettable story! I can hardly wait to read the sequels.
Mackenzie
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 of 3
*Wonderful! Love Ann Gabhart!
Amanda
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt like it was a bit of a slow start, but I really got into the story line about halfway through. The last half was fabulous!
De Stickel
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely worth reading. A pleasure.

Life brings its own challenges and I'm sure depression-era small town life had more than its share. Throw in a World War and you have the stuff of tragedy. Love and forgiveness are a constant throughout this well crafted entertaining novel. I recommend it highly.
Bobbi Rightmyer
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Review to come soon ...

Ann H. Gabhart has seamlessly woven three generations of a family into one heartwarming, cohesive story that will keep you reading late into the night. Taking place during the depression years of the late 1930s, this story tells about the many secrets each family tries to hide. The story starts with Kate Merritt, the middle daughter of Victor and Nadine Merritt, who feels the needs to protect her family and clean up all the messes and takes the burden of
Chantel
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chantel by: Dearborn Library Book Club
Victor Merritt, his wife Nadine, and their daughter Kate Merritt along with newly abandoned Lorena Birdsong are the main characters in this book. There are many relatives and townspeople who are also impactful to the story.

Kate Merritt, a fun-loving teenager who prefers to gig frogs and roam the woods near Rosey Corner, a sleepy Kentucky town, grapples with the tension in her family. When World War I demons and the threat of poverty send her father reeling toward booze, her mother sinking into f
Joanne
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When this book was chosen as a book club selection, not one of us ladies realized that it was actually Christian fiction. Although I am a Christian, I have found that much Christian fiction I read just ends up being a bit too unrealistic for my taste. I can tell you that most of the ladies in my group loved this novel, while my final thoughts tend to be a bit more reserved.

Although I didn't enjoy this story as much as the other ladies, I did find appreciation within the story itself. We are brou
Ebony Gilbert
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. I love the incorporation of the walk we have in applying faith to our real lives, the historical context of what life was like for people during that time and the beauty of redemption, forgiveness and showing unconditional love to our family! Such a moving story. I am really looking forward to reading the remainder of the books in the Rosy Corner series.
Katie
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never read a book by Ann Gabhart before, so I was excited at the opportunity to read this new release of hers. After finishing Angel Sister I know I will read more from this talented author. This book was quiet a journey! Ann skillfully weaved in a story that was so alive and personal I looked up from the pages expecting to see Kate, Nadine, or Victor sitting across from me. Each character had such depth!

Kate Marritt is only fourteen years old, but she feels like she is her family’s anchor.
Sara Nowlin-Edens
Ann Gabhart is a writer of inspirational novels. She doesn’t sugar coat, nor is she “in your face,” with situations her characters experience. She was born and raised in the Outer Bluegrass region of Kentucky, so grew up on a farm. She has been writing since she was just 10 years old. She first published a historical romance in 1978 and continues to give us fodder for our eyes, spirits, and hearts.

Angel Sister is a touching novel set between World War I and World War II. The depression era bring
Joyce
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Library copy. First in the Rosey Corner series. I read the first two before reading this one. I recommend reading them in order. The second and third books were fine, but this one was a bit spoiled by reading the others first.

The four star rating is generous. Unlike the other two books, there were things about this one that I would have done differently, things that were confusing to me. Maybe it's me.

In the first place I thought the 'angel sister' was Lorena, whose character is much stronger in
Cafelilybookreviews
If you enjoy reading stories that are set in the depression era as much as I do, you’ll be happy to get your hands on Angel Sister. This is my favorite Ann Gabhart book to date and I like that she based the characters in this book very loosely on her own family.

The Merritts are a hardworking family hit by the woes of the depression and the war. Victor Merritt fights haunting memories from the war and finds solace in a bottle. Nadine, his wife, doesn’t have the energy anymore to try and hold her
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 30, 2015 07:56AM
What Do You Like About This Book 1 2 Mar 13, 2015 10:59AM
3rd Period Langua...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Thai book 2 2 7 Apr 07, 2014 01:02PM
Thai's second book 1 7 Mar 24, 2014 05:45PM
  • Promise Me This
  • The Voyage of Promise (Grace in Africa, #2)
  • Springtime of the Spirit (The Great War, #3)
  • The Sweetest Thing
  • Love's Rescue (The Sierra Chronicles #1)
  • Almost Heaven
  • At Every Turn
  • The Edge of Grace
  • For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1)
  • Widow of Gettysburg (Heroines Behind the Lines, #2)
  • Prize of My Heart (Sea Heroes of Duxbury)
  • This Fine Life
  • Safe at Home
  • Wonderland Creek
  • The Deepest Waters
  • I'll Watch the Moon
  • Beyond All Measure (Hickory Ridge, #1)
  • Wildflowers of Terezin
Ann H. Gabhart grew up on a farm in Kentucky. By the time she was ten she knew she wanted to be a writer. She's published over twenty novels. She and her husband have three children and nine grandchildren. She still lives on a farm not far from where she grew up. She loves playing with her grandkids, walking with her dog, reading and, of course, writing. Her Shaker books, set in her fictional Shak ...more
More about Ann H. Gabhart...

Rosey Corner (3 books)
  • Small Town Girl (Rosey Corner, #2)
  • Love Comes Home (Rosey Corner, #3)

“You are beautiful inside and outside, through and through, and I love you completely. Desperately. With every inch of my heart and soul, and I always will to my dying day.” 1 likes
“boots right off his feet. There were stories of men sucked down into the muck never to be seen again. Victor didn’t know if the stories were true, but he did think it possible. The mud was everywhere. In their hair under their helmets, flavoring their food, between their toes in their boots, layering their canteens, permeating their very souls. They couldn’t get away from the mud. They slept in it, fought in it, lived in it. Died in it. Sometimes after a hard downpour a new body part appeared out of the mud. Victor told himself it didn’t matter. Whoever he was, the man was dead, gone from his body to meet his Maker. What was left was just bone, sinew, and skin. And if Victor was ordered over the top and got hit by enemy fire to end up one of those bodies sunk down in the mud, what difference would it make if the soldiers lucky enough to still be breathing used his hand sticking out of the side of the trench to hold something up out of the mud. That’s how they were using Oscar’s. Nobody really knew the dead man’s name or even his nationality, but it only seemed right to name him, to make him part of their company when his hand emerged from the side of the trench. That’s how war was. A man had to survive as best he could. He couldn’t worry about what he’d left back home. He couldn’t worry about how long he was going to live. A man just had to follow orders and give all he had to win the war and save democracy. War wasn’t a thing like Victor had expected or maybe anything like anybody back in the States had expected. Back there, they’d taught them to march. Wasn’t much use for marching in the trenches. It was just hunkering down and hoping a sharpshooter didn’t spot your helmet if you forgot and lifted your head a few inches too high. Or that your gas mask would work when the Germans launched their mustard gas barrages. Or that you wouldn’t get the order to go over the top. Up” 0 likes