Start by marking “Black Water: The Anthology Of Fantastic Literature” as Want to Read:
Black Water: The Anthology Of Fantastic Literature

Black Water: The Anthology Of Fantastic Literature (Black Water #1)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  409 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
This huge anthology offers a kaleidoscope of brilliant writing from the Magi of the imagination. Alberto Manguel has selected 72 fantastic tales from life on the edge of the twilight zone, with stories from Marguerite Yourcenar, Herman Hesse, Italo Calvino, Vladimir Nabokov, and many, many more. This is a collection of irresistible masterpieces, many of which have never be ...more
Published by Lester & Orpen Dennys (first published 1984)

Glenn Russell
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Alberto Manguel - Argentine-Canadian anthologist, translator, essayist, novelist and editor. He is surely among the very greatest readers of books and lovers of world literature. Black Water collects 72 tales of the fantastic by such authors as Jean Cocteau, Marguerite Yourcenar, Herman Hesse, Italo Calvino, Vladimir Nabokov, H.G.Wells, Franz Kafka and Ursula K. LeGuin. There is one story I particularly enjoy from a less well known author from Argentina, Manuel Mujica Láinez, and it is this stor
Falkor
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy and horror
This superb collection of fantasy stories includes a few famous, widely anthologized classics such as “The Monkey’s Paw,” but mostly offers up choice specimens of unjustly neglected works from both major and lesser known authors. The stories tend toward dark fantasy, with some that could be considered outright horror—Julio Cortazar’s “House Taken Over” is five pages of super concentrated terror that will leave readers jumping at every noise. A common theme unifying this diverse group of stories ...more
Mike
So enjoyable that I regret that I've come to the end. I really recommend it if you can find a copy.
Wayne
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventurers All !!!
Recommended to Wayne by: similar stories

A MESSSAGE FROM THE GOODREADS FOLK:

"Because you shelved SHOE LUST a few recommendations in Fantasy."

I must say this was The Last Thing I expected when my fascination with Things Historical had me pouncing on the Current Development of the Humble Shoe in "Shoe Lust" at our Local Bookstore in Dulwich Hill about 12 months ago. It is Fascinating and often pretty Wild.
As are the stories in the Black Water Anthology.

This Very Kindly Attendance of Goodreads had me rummaging among their group of Suggest
Jeanne
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

I highly recommend this collection for fans of fantastic literature or of short stories in general. You will love most, hate some and if you are like me, there will be a few you just don't even understand (what was that bus scene about in "Visitor From Down Under"??). Whether you take your time working your way through this massive collection as I did (read over 20 years) or read all 967 pages in one sitting - it is worth the time.

I was a little sad to finish this book after all the years we ha
Gary Parish
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A massive collection of short stories dealing with the supernatural and the fantastic, Manguel does a superb job of editing and selecting the pieces in this anthology. Some are humorous, some are darkly sinister, some confuse you and some appeal to your sense of justice or right & wrong. I read this cover-to-cover on and off over the course of a year and it always entertained me to no end, highly recommended!
blushenka
This book is FANTASTIC. Heh. It's a great collection of tales, kudos to the editor for picking them so well. Some of them I knew from before, but not many. I have not found a single story in this collection that I did not enjoy and some of them were quite outstanding.
Among the ones I found outstanding: Poe's The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar, Max Beerbohm's Enoch Soames, Dickens' The Signalman, Saki's Laura, David Garnett's Lady Into Fox, Marguerite Yourcenar's How Wang-Fo was Saved, Isak Di
flannery
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, SO incredible! Alberto Manguel wrote one of my favorite reference books, "A Dictionary of Imaginary Places," and this is as imaginative, as literate, as carefully considered a collection as any I have ever, ever read, each piece lovingly introduced by the editor with all the necessary biography to put each piece in context and also bridge time & place seamlessly... from Jean Cocteau to Jules Verne to Borges and O. Henry with not a page out of place... highly recommended, one of the b ...more
Martin Cosby
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this anthology many years ago, and it made a big impression upon me. Many of the stories are deep, literary examples of fiction, whereas I had been more used to "horror" collections. A thoroughly engrossing read through different kinds of writing, never less than excellent, I have re-read it many times ... and am about to once more. Highly recommended.
This generous anthology is jam-packed with fascinating, instructive work and was my introduction to many magical writers beyond the traditional English-speaking fare. Delighted to discover that a second volume was published back in 1990 - heading to pick up a copy now...
Tiffany
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memory suggests I read this as a kid by the hall light when I couldn't sleep, and that I was too creeped out to close my eyes. But by 1984 I was living in an off-campus apartment, paying my own bills. This book does that to you--makes you feel all small and helpless.
Jacob
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My copy has the same ISBN, but the cover is a detail from George Tooker's awesome The Subway. This would be a perfect bedtime reader if not for its bulk.
Deborah Sheldon
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous collection. In all honesty... read it.
Bill Shears
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read through it ever decade-and-a-half or so. A fantastic collection of fantastic short stories from around the world.
Freder
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manguel stays well away from the sensational, and goes for mood and depth.
Martin Valdes
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!!!!
Milen Kindekov
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say, this was an amazing anthology. As with all compilations, there are always hits and misses. Stories which piqued my interest, others that were a bit drab that caused me to doze off. I've found a large amount of new authors which I will be reading more of, I've increased my respect for others as well. I was really impressed with a few of the oriental stories. Definitely will be looking for more of these. The excerpts before each story were interesting and a lot of the times I'd find my ...more
Jake Cooper
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts
A doorstop of a book: 955 pages, 72 stories. I've already purchased volume 2 (which should be volumes 4-6). Nitpick: when was each story written? Publication dates should be on title pages.
P.
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection! There are some big names and a lot of South American authors I have never heard of. The cover art rules. Some of the themes can get old if you read them all at once, so it is good to space things out. My favorite story was actually the first one, by Julio Cortazar, but the rest of the book wasn't disappointing. Just not as great.
Kevin Tole
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stores
To be honest, I hardly 'read' it, just dipped into it every now and again and in the end, it sat on the shelf in the khazi ready to be excised during excision.

Like most (probably) I read the ones I knew well before trying the rest.

I really couldn't tell you much more about it. But in the end I think I'd rather read the full bhoona by these fellas and fella-ettes rather than a motette.
John
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brings back the joy and wonder of reading. fantastic anthology of timeless short stories. looking forward to digging into the second collection. nice short blurbs by alberto manguel, a reader's reader if ever there was one, introduces each story.
Martin
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection is essential to anyone who loves The Twilight Zone in terms of fiction. I read this many years ago and am planning to go through it again. Chilling, intriguing, mystifying, unsettling and totally engrossing. The art of short story writing in one volume. Perfection.

Fran*
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection of dark and strange tales. Some were familiar bur there were quite a few new to me.
Ken Krimstein
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a magisterial collection of wonders by the inimitable editor manguel...

the first of his many amazing curated collections of his i've read..
Louise
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolute gem.
Elizabeth
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb. Just keep dipping in and out and you will continually find yourself covered in a viscous substance, the nature of which you can neither fully discern, nor fully wash off.....
Neven
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection—uneven as they usually are, but the high notes are unforgettable. Hunt it down if you like hard-to-classify, weird fiction.
Kate Mackley
  • The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories
  • Restless Nights: Selected Stories
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eighteenth Annual Collection
Alberto Manguel (born 1948 in Buenos Aires) is an Argentine-born writer, translator, and editor. He is the author of numerous non-fiction books such as The Dictionary of Imaginary Places (co-written with Gianni Guadalupi in 1980) and A History of Reading (1996) The Library at Night (2007) and Homer's Iliad and Odyssey: A Biography (2008), and novels such as News From a Foreign Country Came (1991). ...more
More about Alberto Manguel...

Black Water (2 books)