Start by marking “Exodus (Starfire, #5)” as Want to Read:
Exodus (Starfire, #5)

Exodus (Starfire #5)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  612 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Once before, the sentient races in the known part of the galaxy, humans, Orions, Ophiuchi and Gormhad, united to defeat alien invaders. The bugs were as incomprehensibly alien as they were revoltingly evil, using all other living things, intelligent or not, as food, and they had been defeated at a terrible cost. Decades have since passed and the gallant warriors of the bat ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Baen (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Exodus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exodus

Michael
Alright, I admit it: this book has a green chick with three eyes, big boobs, and tentacles for fingers on the cover...and I loved it! I am a total sucker for military science fiction, and this one--the fifth in the crack-like Starfire series--had me from page one. There is just something about capital ships pounding the shit out of each other with missiles and beam weapons that turns me into a 12 year old boy again. Love this stuff. There is no character development, no deep ruminations on the h ...more
Mark
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Exodus
Author: Steve White & Shirley Meier
Publisher: Baen
Date: 2006
Pgs: 270
Dewey: WHI
Disposition: Inter Library Loan via Missouri River Regional Library, Jefferson City, Missouri to Irving Public Library - South Campus - Irving, TX
_________________________________________________

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
The Arduans companion star is going to go nova. They know it is coming. The answer is to leap toward the stars with everything that they can carry. Refugees in ships many miles acros
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Exodus is the worst of the Starfire series. That makes it better than most any other novel out there. A book like Exodus about the struggle between two sides in a war is dependent on both sides being interesting. The human point of view is fascinating as always. The aliens on the other hand struck me as a bit weird. It is good that they aren't evil, and that the humans aren't pure good, but it doesn't feel like a fair fight. The aliens control one small area, while the humans have a massive empi ...more
Bill Bowne
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Stretching a good story almost to far...the sequel is much worse.
Abu Dhabi
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
It's okay, if a bit too casually egalitarian/internationalist/idealistic for my tastes.
Mathias Juhl
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-sf
Only the beginning of a new plot with no ending. The other books in the Starfire-Series were better.
Daniel Hamad
More of the same. An entertaining read, as always, but you're not going to be blown away by anything.
Per Gunnar
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a continuation of the Starfire series and is published quite a few years after the previous book in this series. David Weber is no longer in the authors list and, even though the book was quite enjoyable, this shows. The book starts a new story arc in the Starfire universe but the basics of the story seems to be similar to previous books, that is, another day another invader. I have nothing against that. It is a type of story that I normally like.

In general I did like the book. The
D.w.
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Seems to be my week to read incomplete books. White and Weber, though this is written in collaboration with Shirley Meier, took their initial success of giving us stories based on the Starfire game, like Insurrection, and made them two book long tales. Sometimes with so many rehashed battles that one wondered why bother.

You could see another battle coming and could jump ahead fifty pages as nothing would be different from the last battle described. History as repetitive to its core.

This book so
Adam
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of military science fiction in general, and a huge fan of Steve white books specifically. With this in mind, I have to say that Exodus was without a doubt the worst Steve white book I've ever read. But there was more to this book then just logistics, the struggle to communicate despite a vast gulf in philosophy and thought, and battles.. Exodus is a surprising book, in that it is inherently about the struggle to live in a very chaotic, very deadly universe.

The Arduans are an empat
Nihonjoe
There was a lot to like about this book, and it could have have been as good as the previous books in the series, but it had a few problems.

One of the biggest was a completely wasted subplot which was introduced but never had any followup. They reintroduced the Tangrians, but then never did anything with them for the rest of the book. It was left completely open, and while it might be tired up in future books, the way it was introduced led me to believe that something was going to be happening w
Dave
Sep 06, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked the world and the characters, but I found it was a lot of work to finish this book. It comes with a map that isn't relevant for the first half of the book - instead focusing on places just off the edge of the map. I often found it was hard to tell who was where, because of the use of titles, nick names, first names, and last names.

The story lines really do not take shape until late in the novel and there is not a great deal of resolution. The book just stops, clearly waiting for a sequa
Greg
Jon
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Man, this was disappointing. I'm a huge fan of this series, and was hoping for more excellence. Unfortunately, there isn't any. Compared to the previous entries, this one is shallow and small. There's minimal character development, and there's a real lack of connection between the chapters. It feels like a semi-related collection of short stories, none of them very good. I read it, and I'll read the next one, but only because of the previous entries, and not because of this one.
Tom
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was fun to revisit some old favorite characters, and the new aliens were somewhat interesting. However, I think this will probably appeal mainly to those who are already familiar with the milieu and how the universe works, I wouldn't want this to be a person's introduction to the Starfire universe. At the least, "Insurrection" should be required reading before starting this set, since it relies so much on the characters who were introduced in that book.
Tony
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I grew up playing the game STARFIRE, which this book series is based on. If you came to this book from THE SHIVA OPTION, you may be disappointed. The co-writer on that book was David Weber, and his lack of influence on the story is keenly felt. Not to say it's bad, just VERY different in flavor. This is more akin to his book INSURRECTION than it is to ON DEATH GROUND or THE SHIVA OPTION set in this universe.
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
An extension to the "Starfire" series by Weber and White. Not bad, not amazing. A race using non-FTL transport is en-masse invading the federation, and the shenanigans ensue. It thankfully did not have the agonizingly detailed battles of the prior Starfire books, but it also felt like it was lacking in spark.
Marco Paganini
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the others in the Starfire series, but a different take on aliens. I found the premise of aliens that can't see Humans, a spacefaring society, as an intelligent species just because they don't communicate over the same medium a bit of a stretch, but in any case, the alien society and ideas is well constructed. Not a lot of space battles in this one though.
Haakmed
Jan 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book was not very well written and a far cry from the first few books that come before it. There was to much effort to create a new language for the bad guys to speak that I had a feeling of dread each time one of their perspective chapters showed up. I am not entirely sure I will finish this series off after reading this book.
Bill
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
A continuation of the Starfire series by White and Weber. An alien race, fleeing the nova of their sun, stumble into a war with humans and their allies. Extremis is the sequel by White and Gannon.
Will
Mar 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A OK read of Weber's Starfire series. Takes off after Insurrection from 1990.
Aaron Anderson
God, there is a total orgy of made-up words for a new alien culture. Inadequate explanation of them makes it very unfun to read. Screw this book.
Honor
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like the Starfire books anyway, but this one goes quite a bit more into fleshing out an alien culture and mindset - I'll write more later. For now, I was just getting a link for someone.
Christy
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Seems stuck on technical descriptions and not the more interesting exploration of alien differences.
Franklin
Sky
Jan 05, 2013
Monica Seet
Nov 03, 2016
  • The Stars at War II (Starfire, #1,4)
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • The Chosen (The General, #6)
  • Battlespace (The Legacy Trilogy, #2)
  • The Tau Ceti Agenda (Tau Ceti Agenda, #2)
Born in 1948.
Steve White is an American science fiction author best known as the co-author of the Starfire-series alongside David Weber.

He is married with 3 daughters and currently lives in Charlottesville, Virginia. He also works for a legal publishing company. He previously served as a United States Navy officer and served during the Vietnam War and in the Mediterranean region.