Start by marking “Planet Tad” as Want to Read:
Planet Tad

Planet Tad

(Planet Tad #1)

Tad has an agenda: Survive seventh grade.

He also wants to: grow a mustache, get girls to notice him, and do a kickflip on his skateboard. . . .

But those are not the main reasons he started a blog. Tad just has a lot of important thoughts he wants to share with the world, like: Here is the first thing I have learned about having a dog in your house: Don't feed them nachos
Published May 8th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Planet Tad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planet Tad

Jen  Bigheart
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Told in a diary style, Tad is a 7th-grader who is looking to make a few changes in his life and he is bound and determined to: survive the school year, grow a mustache, get girls to notice him, and do a flip on his skateboard. From January 1st all the way through December 31st Tad tries his hardest, but things don't always pan out for him. He ends up starring in an elementary school play, breaking his best friends already broken camera, and hacking off his parents a lot.

Tad is a pretty insightfu
Barbara
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Tad, who is in seventh and eighth grade during this particular year when he begins blogging, is trying to find his way in the world. His concerns are those of the typical middle grader--he'd like to find a girlfriend and become more masculine. His almost daily blogs are succinct and read like a series of jokes since he's constantly putting his foot in his mouth and getting in trouble. One of my favorite parts of the book involved Tad receiving notes in his locker from a secret admirer. The resol ...more
Jalen
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a book about Tad blogging and surviving 7th grade. He had 4 resolution's for the year. The first one was to start shaving. The second one was to do a flip on his skateboard. Third one was to get more girls to notice him, and his last one was to finish 7th grade. Tad made me laugh with his funny antics like when he was watching deal or no deal with his father and thought to himself what if it was deal or no deal and eel. I also learned to not give a dog nacho food, ever. This book may cov ...more
Ray Bliss
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Planet Tad by Tim Carvell.

If you like Mad Magazine you will love Planet Tad. Tad is a 12 year old boy that is in 7th grade. He decides to write a blog about his life. The entries span a year and all the fun, mishaps, pondering and zaniness that is in Tad's life. Planet Tad is fun for all ages - well most all ages 8-99 and if you don't believe me, then your a square.

Not only did I highly enjoy this laugh out loud book, but so did my wife and kids. I kept having to steal it back from them.

I recei
Erin
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
For a book penned by the head writer of The Daily Show, I expected more. It's not like I feel like I lost hours off my life by reading it, but it wasn't my favorite read of the summer. I liked Tad, and I got a pretty good sense of his life, but some of the situations seems like they were pulled straight from Everybody Loves Raymond. Again, not a horrible read, but others have done better with the genre of "dorky guy writes a diary/blog/journal."
John ☾
Jul 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Planet Tad falls in the "survive middle school" category of books. It's like an alternate universe of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, except for the fact that it is a bit of a dirtier version of Wimpy Kid, one example being the reference to monkeys giving lap dances. Tad is just a regular, mundane boy. It didn't have any description of anything, which made me sad to have to look at illustrations to see what characters look like. But the jokes were a bit funny...
Josh Newhouse
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-13-read
Gut bustingly funny... I don't want to spoil it but I want the sequel!

Mehsi
I am not entirely sure what to think of this book. At times it was pretty good, at times it was just bad or made my eyes roll so hard they almost popped out of my head.

I do like the format, the emoticons that tell us how Tad feels during that day, and I liked that he wrote something every day, even if it was just a short little part. Not many kids would keep it up like he did, most would just give up, or end up just doing a few days and forgetting to do it every day.

But while this is all nice,
Ms. Yingling
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Tad is starting a new blog, trying to grow a mustache, and putting up with his annoying younger sister, Sophie. Told in daily entries (some of which are about things in his life, some of which are random observations like "If breakfast cereal is so popular, how come nobody makes dinner cereal. I'd eat it." page 137), this is more episodic than plot driven, covering everything from his interest in asking girls to dances to his science fair project.

Strengths: This will be popular because it is fu
John
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it
A pretty fun book featuring a seventh-grade blogger who makes funny observations about a variety of things (from the Wizard of Oz to the Gift of the Magi). The book tracks one year in his life and is presented as if it's his blog -- though this is really merely a jumping off point, since the illustrations don't seem to be presented as though they're JPGs or anything like that.

I found the humor to be clever but at times, it started to just feel like a structure for allowing the author to compile
Lorianna G
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
7th grader Tad has started a new blog in which he records daily events from his life, and his hilarious takes on pop culture. From his family and friends, including his (possibly evil genius) sister Sophie, to film and pop culture, Tad shares his take on everything. Tad’s blog entries are short and sweet, and are accompanied by funny illustrations from Holgate. This book is a fast read and includes some laugh out loud moments.

I picked up this book because it was written by the head writer of The
Readertime1779
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There was no plot to this book. No problem, no resolution, no adventure or magic or pirates or anything.

BUT WAIT....

THAT WAS THE POINT, PEOPLE!!!

It's a BLOG!! Did you THINK it would have a point? Jeez!

The humor in the book was great. It really made you think about things you'd never imagine thinking about! Including, how there isn't an "i" in "team", but there is a "me" in team. Or why exactly it matters that the guy in Green Eggs and Ham doesn't like green eggs in ham. Or how Luigi never gets
Alex D
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book I read for my book report was Planet Tad by Tim Carvell. The genre of this book is realistic fiction. The story takes place at Lakeville Middle School where main character Tad and his best friend attend. The book is basically about how to survive middle school and how stressful it is. Tad feels left out. He isn't popular and he wants people to notice him. His parents say he should be himself. He disagrees and still isn't viewed as popular. I rated this book four out of five stars, becau ...more
Jack Meehan
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was super funny. A good laugh if you have been having a bad day. The best part of this book is I think all of the unexplainable references that Tad makes to certain events that go on in his life. I espically like how he thinks about his sister Sophie's actions, and the fact that he is mostly jealous of the attention that she gets. The thing that makes me love this book so much is the little emojis on the top of the page that state how Tad felt that day. It really helps set the mood of ...more
Charity Ambs
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I would recommend to kids who liked The Strange Case of Origami Yoda or Diary of a Wimpy Kid. This book is an almost completely character driven blog of humorous pop culture observations. Had a conversation with a boy who let me know this book hit its mark.
Dru
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-contemporary
Tad keeps a daily blog, offering readers one highlight from every day of the year. I thought this was a hilarious and easy read. Definitely would recommend to reluctant boy readers.
Caterpickles
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Written by a former head writer for The Daily Show, Planet Tad describes twelve-year-old Tad’s seventh grade career, one hilarious blog entry at a time.

Will Tad grow a mustache? Get girls to notice him? Survive his summer as a hot dog? Ever learn not to feed his dog nachos? You’ll have to read his blog to find out.

Why The Ten-Year-Old likes it: “It’s like a gateway into his emotions.”
Ktbird
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm certainly not the intended audience for this book, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It's a year-long diary of a boy just about to hit puberty. We learn about his extraordinary desire to want to shave and his difficulties with friends and teachers. He just cannot help his smart mouth and boorish ways.
Finn
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought Planet Tad was a good book with funny aspects to it. I didn't like how there was zero plot line to the book because everyday he said something different and sort of random. If Tim Carvell would've added a plot line to structure the book it would've been much more enjoyable.
Ashlyn Stelmach
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably closer to a 4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this a lot more than I probably should’ve. This is written diary style by a 7th turned 8th grader who’s writing about his life. Would recommend for a quick and cute read!
Finley Johnson
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I mean, don't get me wrong, it was a good book, but it was kind of all over the place. Random thoughts throughout the book distracted you from the plot. If you are an elementary/middle school boy, you might enjoy this book.
Suki Jean
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
hahaha it was hilarious. Light/easy read. I found it REALLY funny XD. this may sound weird, but it definitely seemed to let me release stress it was so care-free. seriously. I recommend it to middle-grade kids who want a super funny and easy read!
Kerry
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's funny and a lot of work was put into it.
Jalen Hamiel
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-shcool
AMAZING
Marcus R
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: third-9-weeks
This kid Tad has multiple missions to do like getting girls to notice him or knowing how to do a kick flip. Mainly to finish seventh grade. There is another which is to start shaving. Can he complete his missions? Will he survive seventh grade? I like how each day he has a mood for it and how you could relate. It's kinda like the diary of a wimpy kid books especially having it take place in school.. If you like the diary of a wimpy kid books you will like this.
Louis L.
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: third-nine-weeks
I liked this book so much I read it again. This book is about tad. Tad is a middle school blogger who has written about his life especially at school. This is in a blog format. That means it has the date on the top and a few paragraphs below it. For a deeper insight look at my review on Return Of Planet Tad.
Karissa
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I got a copy of this book to review through the Amazon Vine program. It’s not the type of thing I normally read, but sounded so funny that I had to give it a try. This ended up being a very well done book and a highly amusing read. There were parts of this book where I was laughing so hard I was almost in tears.

Tad is your typical twelve year old and has some specific goals for the upcoming year: 1) start a blog, 2) shave for the first time, 3) Get girls to notice him, and 4) do a kickflip on hi
Chibineko
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'd originally thought that this book would be a collection of the Planet Tad articles from Mad Magazine, so if you're like me and wondering if that's what this is, it's not. Luckily you won't be disappointed, because this book is really funny.

One of my favorite parts of the book was that it had a wide age appeal. If an adult were to pick up this book (such as myself), they'd be able to get into it pretty easily. Not once was I bored while reading this and I managed to finish it in one night sin
Kathleen
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
A hilarious take on a 7th grade boy's life from the pen of Tim Carvell, head writer at The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. The book is in diary format and follows Tad on various adventures & life lessons throughout the year. Whether he is fighting with his younger sister, Sophie, disagreeing with his utterly uncool parents, or getting into trouble with his friends Chuck & Kevin, Tad's observations and escapades deliver solid laughter. A typical day in Tad's life goes something like this: "J ...more
Jennifer Bacall
Tim Carvell is an Emmy award winning writer for The Daily Show with Jon Stewart so it’s no surprise that his book Planet Tad succeeds at creating dozens of laughs. The book fleshes out Carvell’s series for Mad Magazine also named Planet Tad. The book consists of blog entries from twelve-year-old American boy Tad. We follow him as he flounders through the school year and into his summer which is in no way what he expected it to be. He has a smart and conniving younger sister, Sophie, whose advent ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dialogue 1 2 Dec 06, 2015 06:36PM

• Outlaw
  • Letters to Leo
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation (Charlie Joe Jackson, #3)
  • The Big One-Oh
  • How They Croaked
  • Jessie Elliot Is a Big Chicken
  • 33 Minutes
  • Notes from an Accidental Band Geek
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • The 14 Fibs of Gregory K.
  • Crush: The Theory, Practice and Destructive Properties of Love (Liar, Liar, #3)
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
  • Unusual Creatures: A Mostly Accurate Account of Some of Earth's Strangest Animals
  • Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One