Start by marking “Fire Balls (Balls to the Wall, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fire Balls (Balls to the Wall, #2)

Fire Balls

(Balls to the Wall #2)

Rodney Mansfield is tiny, flamboyant and, oh yeah, a black belt in karate. He is also one of southern California’s greatest artists. Too bad the work of art he really wants is firefighter, Hunter Fallon. But the gorgeous “straight gay” guy could never want the Runtback of Notre Dame, so when Rodney’s handsome, surfer friend, Jerry, develops an unexpected passion for the be ...more
Published February 3rd 2012 by Etopia Press (first published January 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fire Balls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Balls

Start your review of Fire Balls (Balls to the Wall, #2)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
How can you take a book with a title like Fire Balls seriously? There was fire here (and a hot firefighter), but no fire balls, unless this is meant to be symbolic for like actual testicles on fire or something, but, wait, nope, that wasn't included either.

The best word for this book is cartoonish. The characters and plot were trite. Everything was rushed. The entire book took place in a matter of days (time was hard to track). There was zero character development, minus a lot of "I gotta date
Eli Easton
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. I loved the character of Rodney - very unique and fun. I loved that he was a serious bad ass despite being small and fem on the surface. And Hunter was a nice change from the normal alpha male firefighter. The writing was very good and I found myself highlighting a number of clever passages. The sex was hot and the angst was not too angsty (I prefer light angst), and it felt natural and not just tacked on. The only thing I didn't care for was the cheesy title. IMHO the ...more
Macky
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a really enjoyable series and I'm rereading the first three after just buying book 4 (Snow Balls) which I thoroughly enjoyed. Having gone through them all again, I have to say this is my favourite. Rodney and Hunters story reminds me of the film "Roxanne" ( based on Cyrano De Bergerac ). Rodney - an artist who paints nudes - is totally smitten with the gorgeous gay, but macho in looks, Hunter. Hunter is out but stays under the radar because he's a fireman and getting stick from some of h ...more
Valentina Heart
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt
How can I say this and not repeat the exact same words I've already said at least two times... I adore Tara's men. There, I've done it again, just can't help myself. She loves the arts and has a tendency of combining it with something hard, manly, HOT!... but even there she is unique, because her unconventional pairings usually come with a twist.

Rodney is a rather famous artist who is small, flamboyant and dangerous, that's right, the little guy has a black belt in karate and doesn't take bullsh
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Was there an irritating plot device Lain didn't use in this one? Stereotypical characters, cheating, quasi closet case asshole who demeans effeminate gay men, effeminate gay men with "hidden depths", poetry douchebaggery, and characters who date other people throughout most of the book. Why is it that these assholes can be single for years, but as soon their "soul mate" shows up, so does some other potential love interest, and that's who they cling to? I hate that shit.

Note to authors: stop doi
BWT (Belen)

Nick J. Russo delivers a good performance with individual character voices and plenty of emotion, but not good enough to get me over the issues I had with the story itself.

The dialogue felt forced, the main characters, Hunter and Rod, date other men through more than half of the book, and Rod and Hunter have sex with each other when Hunter is still dating/having sex with Rod's friend.

So..not my jam, but the narration was fun.

Story=2 Stars, Narration=4 Stars; Total=3 Stars

Audio copy of Fire Ball
Simsala
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4,5 stars

That hit all the right notes.
I adored Rodney - the little,big man.Out and proud flaming queen with a black belt in Karate and a spine of steel.
I loved Hunter the big,buff fireman trying to fulfill others expectations and so unhappy with it - until he meets Rodney...
Give me characters like that anytime and I`m a happy reader!
MsMiz (Tina)
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt-all, kindle-mobi
I was so excited when LA said lets read this!! Yeah.....fun loving, flaming hot boys with sexy firefighters...BRING IT BABY. What you will get with this book is a serious look into self-esteem, love, self-awareness, finding your true self and living your own dreams. Not to mention a healthy dose of don't judge a book by it's cover. There were a lot of heavy moments in this book that were very well handled. On the other hand, while these men were in heavy turmoil throughout the book, they did get ...more
Susan65
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like Tara Lain's writing style and this series is really, really good. Rod was just an amazing character...he was who he was and the way he was and he didn't apologize to anyone for being himself. Small but in charge..that was Rodney.

Hunter was a beautiful, out but not, firefighter who was living his life to please his father instead of himself. I was glad to see his family rally around him and force him to do what was right for him...even if he thought his father wouldn't approve.

Rod a
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, ebook
From the start, I was a little disappointed to read this was not a continuation of the previous story. I was really looking forward to reading more about how the threesome was making out. For the first quarter of this book, I kept trying to remember if I knew any of the characters from the previous story. While previous characters are mentioned here and there and actually make an appearance later on, this could easily be read as a stand alone.

I thought the first half of this went pretty slow. It
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ebook-owned, gfy-ofy
3.5*
Where to start, Rodney is a piece of work! Smart, nice, hiding a lot behind his extroverted ways, and Hunter was a good guy.
I liked the story, it was fun and hot, I just wasn't quite sure why Rodney fell in love with Hunter, at least not when he did, right at the beginning. I understood Hunter, Rodney helped him see who he really was and what he was doing with his life.
Not sure how I feel abut the Jerry/Hunter storyline part of the story, but I did like Jerry a lot!
Anke
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars I liked this story a lot, especially Rodney:) but something was bothering me and it drives me a bit crazy to not being able to pin it down. Yes.I'm with MandyM that it was a bit rushed, on the other hand Rod's being the nice, helping friend felt like forever. First Jerry was a huge part of the story, then I had the feeling he was fading away. Perhaps it's best to say, it felt a bit unbalanced overall.

Madison Parker
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rodney has been admiring firefighter Hunter from afar, but when he finally gets a chance to meet him, he can't muster up the courage to do so. Instead, he watches helplessly as his surfer friend Jerry flirts with the object of his desire. Although it breaks his heart, Rodney helps his friend pursue Hunter because he's sure a stud like Hunter would never go for a flaming queen like himself. And Hunter does nothing to make him think otherwise.

On the surface, Jerry and Hunter seem like a great matc
Summer
4.5 Stars!

I definately like this one better than the first of the series. I think it was because there was more development of the relationship. I also liked how the flamboyant smaller man was the top. This is one of those stories where the two MC's don't just fall in love and jump in bed right away. They each have dates with different men to start with. I like the Laguna beach setting and am currious who the next story in the series is going to be about.
Gigi
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I just did a re-read of this one and actually dropped it from 5 stars to 4 stars. My first read was over a year ago and I guess my (view spoiler)

Still, I can recommend this! Silly, mindless M/M romance fun.
Ms. Nikki
Have mercy on me for I have condemned a B Book for flat characters, a man who faked being an alpha in such a way it was redunculous, a friend sleeping with another friend's sex partner secretly, a self deprecating fake queen who I disliked, and who used the word "darling" 10x's too many. I did not hate this read, but I didn't like it either. The cover fooled me. Soo not for me.
A.E.
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED..LOVED...LOVED, this story. How awesome is Roman, I think she has developed a character that makes you want to continue with the series, just to hear a little more of him,... and she did not disappoint with the 3rd edition of the Balls to Wall series (Snow Balls). I will look forward to number 4. And OH YES!!! THE SEX IS SUPER SMOKING! Excellent writing.
Chris
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, ebook, 2012, done
Good m/m romance about a flamboyant artist with a crush on a hunky firefighter - a hunky firefighter who, though gay, stays away from flamboyant guys, even if he finds them attractive.
MountainKat
*4- Stars, mostly because of simplicity*

Sweet story. Complex subjects with a too easy resolution because of the length of the story. Still it all worked, the characters were wonderful especially. I liked it and hope to continue the sooner than I did with this one after the first!
Claudia

Nice but definitely too short. There was not enough time for me where they developed feelings for each other ... because as far as I understood, the only time they were alone, they had sex
Nevertheless, it was a nice story ... loved that the roles were reversed here
Stephani Rozier
I liked this one. That being said, there were definitely parts I did not like.

I really liked seeing Rod's heart while watching Jerry and Hunter. I did not read the blurb so, after reading book one, Volley Balls, I had no idea where this was going to go.

What I did not like. (view spoiler)
Carra
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fire Balls wouldn't be Fire Balls without Rodney. He's a fantastic character-he may be a smaller guy, but his personality and attitude make him a true powerhouse, vibrant and strong. Hunter at first comes across as a closet case-made more so by the attitude he gets from others at work and perceived pressure from his father. And while at first he seems like a typical alpha male firefighter, once we learn more about him we find his preferences in the bedroom don't necessarily reflect the stereotyp ...more
Brandee (un)Conventional Bookworms
*3.5 Stars*
Having met Rodney is Volley Balls, I was excited to get his story. And I enjoyed seeing him win over Hunter!

***
Fire Balls was another quick and sweet read in this series!

Having met Rodney in Volley Balls, I was eager for this talented artist and matchmaker to find his own match. And the match Rod has his eye on is one hot firefighter. Unfortunately, Rod's friend, Jerry, having no inkling of Rod's crush, sets his eyes on Hunter as well. Rod, being the selfless man he is, hands Hun
Jenny Wood
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
kay, so... this is the first book I've read in this series, but not with this author.
I wasn't a fan of the Laguna ones, but I thought the blurb looked good for this one.

Rod. a.k.a. Roman, is a famous local artists. He's flamboyant and flashy, and seems self confident, but he's got extremely low self esteem. We meet him when he's walking by the firestation trying to get a good look at the man he's been half in love with... Hunter.

Hunter is gay but doesn't wanna be. Living the life that his dad w
Alina
Jan 28, 2012 added it
I picked this book up, because one of the characters was a firefighter and it turned out he didn't even want to be one and by the end of the story he even decided to change his profession xD

I still liked it, though I've had some issues.
First of all, I didn't like the whole thing with Jerry. Let me say, that I'm not overly touchy-feely about cheating, but here it was uncomfortable for me to read. The first time Rodney and Hunter had sex I could understand - the heat of the moment and such, but af
Lily
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was a very enjoyable and light-hearted read, with unexpected surprises offered by the protagonists. The novel felt well-balanced in its constitutive elements: a linear plot with few complications, rounded characters with hidden facets and great dialogue. In fact, both Rodney and Hunter were a study in contrasts, which rendered them particularly interesting.

I fiercely wanted to hug Rod because he had such a sparkling personality, always kind and thoughtful towards others, even putting h
Kel
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kel's Review:
This is not the first time I have reviewed Ms. Lain's books. I really love her as an author and have enjoyed her stories immensely. She has a way of drawing me in and hooking me. I can't seem to ever put the book down! Her new book Fire Balls is no different. I fell in love with Rod and Hunter instantly. This story has romance, love and of course hot steamy sex!

Hunter is a gay man who is a firefighter that has a rugged sexy look to him. Rod is an artist who has a small frame and a
DaisyGirl
3.5 stars rounded up to 4.0

Rodney Mansfield is tiny, flamboyant, and a black belt in karate. He is also one of southern California’s greatest painters. Hunter Fallon is a gorgeous fireman and the stuff of Rod's dreams. Convinced that the beautiful “straight gay” guy would never want him, Rod agrees to help his handsome, surfer friend (Jerry) land his man. Although Hunter hates gay guys like Rod, he can’t seem to get the powerful pipsqueak’s face out of his mind. When Hunter risks his job and his
Fiona Goodman
4.5

My Favorite Tara Lain book so far. I felt this one really came together and the MC's were really sweet. Lain is very good at writing male characters who are sensitive yet sexy.

Tara Lain will continue her 'Balls' series in future books ala' Sue Grafton's mystery A-Z novels. Here are a few suggestions for future titles of the 'Balls to the Walls' series. It seems the possibilities are endless. I have absolutely no malicious intent towards Tara Lain or the series which I think are very cute, bu
Nic
Another great combination of characters with the flamboyant artist Rodney and the gorgeous firefighter Hunter.

Interestingly, I didn't really like Hunter when first introduced. His attitude to Rodney, the out and proud 'queen' was unsettling. It was clear that he didn't want people to 'get the wrong' idea about him if he was seen with Rodney but it wasn't until much later in the book that the true reasons become clear and his behaviour seems better justified.

The story is interesting as both Rodne
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Daddy Ink (Get Ink'd #1)
  • Up for Heir (Rosavia Royals, #1)
  • Screens Apart
  • Dancing with Daddy
  • Secret Admirer
  • Reign or Shine (Rosavia Royals, #2)
  • Royally Screwed: A Tale of Two Princes
  • Love Him Free (On the Market, #1)
  • The V- in 403C
  • The Experiment
  • Stupid Love (Stumbling into Love, #1)
  • Off Plan (Whispering Key, #1)
  • Disciplinary Action
  • Marc Jillson & The Gazebo (Love Inscribed, #2)
  • Marry Me (Tattoos and Temptation #1)
  • The Rebel (Red's Tavern, #2)
  • Rogue Affair (Cedarwood Beach, #3)
  • Liars (Licking Thicket, #2)
Tara Lain believes in happy ever afters - and magic. Same thing. In fact, she says, she doesn't believe, she knows. Tara shares this passion in her stories that star her unique, charismatic heroes and adventurous heroines. Quarterbacks and cops, werewolves and witches, blue collar or billionaires, Tara's characters, readers say, love deeply, resolve seemingly insurmountable differences, and ultima ...more

Balls to the Wall (5 books)
  • Volley Balls (Balls to the Wall, #1)
  • Beach Balls  (Balls to the Wall,  #3)
  • Snow Balls (Balls to the Wall, #4)
  • F.A.S.T. Balls (Balls To The Wall, #5)