Start by marking “Teemestarin kirja” as Want to Read:
Teemestarin kirja

Teemestarin kirja

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  3,243 Ratings  ·  634 Reviews
MAAILMASTA ON LOPPUMASSA VESI.
Suunnattoman katastrofin – ehkä ilmastonmuutoksen, ehkä jonkin muun – läpikäynyt ihmiskunta sinnittelee veden vähyyden ja sen säännöstelyä hallitsevan diktatuurin vallan alla. Vain kaatopaikoille hautautunut teknologia ja teemestarien sukupolvien ajan pitämät päiväkirjat muistuttavat entisistä ajoista.

Noria on teemestarien sukua, ja pian on hä
Published January 24th 2012 by Teos

To ask other readers questions about Teemestarin kirja, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teemestarin kirja

rameau
Imagine you’re listening to the radio. A song comes up you’ve never heard before. You don’t know the band, but you like the quiet, melancholic melody. You stop to listen and the more you do, the more you like it. Except, you’re waiting for the song to take flight. You’re waiting for something to happen, something to take the song to the next level and surprise you. It never happens.

That’s what happened to me with this book. I wanted to like it better than I did.

Itäranta writes beautifully, but
Evie
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Check out my Pinterest Inspiration Board!

Filled with philosophical themes, existentialism and moments of pure beauty, Memory of Water is a highly original, remarkably intelligent and infuriatingly teasing work of speculative fiction set in a dystopian world.

What we have here is a sad and hopeless world driven to the brink of extinction by its own inhabitants; humans. The global warming caused all the ice to melt, overflowing the oceans. The earth is scorched, the heat is almost unbearable, and
mai ahmd
حراس الماء رواية من أدب الديستوبيا وهو أدب المدينة الفاسدة وهذا النوع يحتوى على الخيال العلمي ومزيج من السوريالية والخرافة ومثاله على ذلك رواية الكاتب البديع جورج أوريل ورواية الواهب للويس لاري ، فهرنهايت 451 لرادبري و مباريات الجوع لكولنز ووكل الروايات آنفة الذكر تعمل على مقاومة سلطة النظام الفاسد والفقر وابطالها شعبيون ينتمون للعامة ..

زمن الرواية هو زمن مستقبلي ومجتمع الرواية غامض نوعا ما البيئة تكونت بعد حالة حرارية معينة استدعت ذوبان القمم الجيليدية وتغير جغرافية الأرض
مشكلة الرواية هي ندرة
Vilja / Kirjaneito
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Viimeinkin tämä on luettu. Varmaan vuoden verran olen yrittänyt saada aikaiseksi, mutta parempi myöhään kuin ei milloinkaan. Odotukseni olivat ehkä hiukan liian korkealla, mutta pidin silti lukemastani. Etenkin miljöö ja tunnelma lumosivat ja dystopinen asetelma on kammottavuudessaan uskottava. Romaanin alkupuoli oli mielestäni vahvempi kuin loppupuoli ja koin, että alun hienosti rakennettu jännite ei onnistunut säilymään samanlaisena loppuun asti. Kielestä sen sijaan nautin valtavasti ja Itäran ...more
Maryam
it could be such a brilliant book, but unfortunately it wasn't. I enjoyed it though, actually I enjoyed the writing, the era, the environment but the story has too many flaws, secrets, dark holes...

The story set in a dystopian world. Due to global warming all ices are melted and apparently contaminated. Now military control remaining water resources and having any secret well or spring or water pipe is a serious crime.

Noria is daughter of a tea master in a small village. Tea masters are watchers
Jim
Itäranta is a Finnish author, and as I understand it, she wrote the book in both Finnish and in English, and it’s been published in both languages. Speaking as an author, let me tell you, that’s pretty badass.

Here’s the publisher’s summary:

"In the far north of the Scandinavian Union, now occupied by the power state of New Qian, seventeen-year-old Noria Kaitio studies to become a tea master like her father. It is a position that holds great responsibility and a dangerous secret. Tea masters alone
Sarah Anne
This book had truly beautiful prose and I loved that aspect of it. While I didn't get particularly attached to the characters I did enjoy the story. I really did not the heavy handed foreshadowing. Not only did it throw me out of the story, it made the things that happened late in the story lose their punch. It's hard for me to get really excited about an ending that's telegraphed from the start of the book.

The way this is written is beautifully evocative and it suits the feel of the tea ceremon
Ian Mond
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What’s It About

The novel is set years into the future where global warning and rising seas has seen the destruction of cities, the takeover of Europe by China and the scarcity of fresh water.

Noria Kaitio is learning to become a tea master like her father which comes with its own responsibilities. One of which is knowledge of a hidden source of fresh water that used to supply the town but is now kept secret from the military. But for how long…

It’s worth noting that Memory of Water was originally
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I read this because it was nominated one month for the Sword and Laser book club but lost to a book I had already read.

There are elements of this novel to like. The combination of Scandinavian and Chinese culture for the society of New Qian was really the best part, especially the section combining the northern lights with the Chinese festivals. Beautiful! Magical!

The theme of water scarcity is frequent these days, although having a teamaster in each village/town/city with the secrets of the wa
Lyubov
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Книгата на чаения майстор" представлява оригинална антиутопия, която преобръща повечето класически похвати на жанра. Изпълнена е с ретроспекции, сериозен вътрешен монолог на главната героиня и ако трябва да я определя с една дума, тя би била камерна.

Сетингът е в бъдещето без да бъде уточнено точно кога, земята е преживяла природен катаклизъм, в който океаните са залели сушата, а после са пресъхнали и човечеството е водило опустошителни нефтени войни. Водата вече е крайно недостатъчна и превърна
Althea Ann
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blurb comparing a book to Ursula LeGuin? Gets me to read it every time...

Yes, I can see where the comparison came from. It probably reminds me most of the feel of LeGuin's 'Annals of the Western Shore' trilogy. The similarity is not so much in actual content, but in what is dwelled on; the themes and pace.

This will also appeal to those looking for post-apocalyptic YA who are interested in more thoughtful, character-oriented stories instead of just action.

The setting is a dystopian future Scandin
Mairita (Marii grāmatplaukts)
3,5 zvaigznes. Pārsteidzoši lirisks fantastikas romāns. Arī beigas drusku savādākas kā ierasts.
Pilnā atsauksme: https://gramatas.wordpress.com/2017/0...
Sarah ~
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ebook, 2015
حراس الماء

في مستقبل مظلم وتسوده الإضطرابات تدور أحداث رواية الفنلندية ايمي ايتورانتا .
في زمن استنزفت فيه ثروات الأرض واندثرت الحضارة وتلاشت الحدود : فلا وجود للدول بالشكل المتعارف عليه ولا الثقافات ولا للتكنولوجيا ، وعادَ البشر إلى النقطة صفر، إلى بداية السلم .
واستبدلت حروب النفط المعتادة بحروب المياه.
فـ الماء عصب الحياة هو بطل الرواية الأول ، الماء الذي يسيطر عليه النظام حيث يصرف بحصص قليلة لأفراد الشعب ، ذلك لندرة الماء الصالح للشرب .
واعتاد الجميع على سماع " مجرمو مياه" وهو ما يطلق على أولئك
Nicki
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
In a future of our world where the polar ice caps have melted, and the maps have been redrawn as nations disappear under salt waves, potable water has become a scarce resource, and the citizens of the New Qian-ruled Scandinavian Union thrive -- barely -- on desalinated water rationed by the government. The penalties for water crimes are harsh; for concealing and tapping a fresh spring, they are deadly. Noria Kaitio’s family have guarded the spring for generations, and when Noria turns 17, her fa ...more
Fizzycola
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Teemestarin kirja on aivan harvinainen esikoisteos.

Äidinkielen opettajani tapasi sanoa, että "kaunis" on sana, jota ihminen saa kirjoituksissaan käyttää korkeintaan kymmenen kertaa elämässään. Tämän kirjan kohdalla minun on pakko käyttää yksi kiintiöstäni. Kirja on yksinkertaisesti uskomattoman kaunis. Itärannan kieli on vedenkirkasta ja kuulasta, tarinaa kuljetetaan taitavasti kohti väistämätöntä loppua. Kirjan maailma on lisäksi erilaisuudestaan huolimatta todenmakuinen ja sen henkilöt moniulo
Fatema Hassan , bahrain

الهدف / اعتقال الماء و الحد من حريته و إلغاء قيمته العاطفية- ارتباطه الوثيق بالموت - و حظر التفكير في عناصره و حتى مجرد استرجاع إيماءاته التي تقودنا لسره الأعظم ..

" حراس الماء " ل إيمي إيتورانتا
هي رواية خيال علمي تستطيع تشبيهها بقائمة من الأعمال الروائية و السينمائية ( قصص كوكب القردة و قصص الآفاتار سيد الأربعة عناصر الماء والنار و الهواء و الأرض و كذلك رواية ١٩٨٤ لجورج أورويل و فهرنهايت ٤٥١ - أفكار ضخمة وناجحة تجعل مهمة أشباهها صعبة ) مع الاحتفاظ بحقوق تفردهم في هذا المجال لذلك كان تحدّي إيمي إ
Insomnia
Visu laiku redzēju Āziju nevis Skandināviju. Visa tējas un ūdens padarīšana bija ļoti baudāma un patīkama. Tā vien dēļ kādreiz pat varētu pārlasīt. Tik ļoti manā elementā, ka grūti daudz vilkt nost par dažām nepilnībām. Piemēram, atklājumi un notikumu pavērsieni bieži likās nedaudz neīsti, radušies vien tādēļ, ka stāstam vajag, neradīja pilnīgu realitātes sajūtu. Šo to ļoti ātri paredzēju ar domu, ka citādi jau te vienkārši nevarētu būt, jau no paša sākuma diezgan skaidrs, uz ko tas velk. Tomēr ...more
Lama Alkanaany
في الخريطة القديمة كان القطبان الشمالي والجنوبي مرسومين بالأبيض وعرفت أن ذلك يرمز إلى الثلج الذي كان يدعى في بعض الأحيان بالجليد الأبدي حتى أتضح انه لم يكن أبديا بعد كل شيء. قرب نهاية حقبة العالم الماضي سخن العالم وارتفعت البحار أسرع مما استطاع أن يتنبأ به أحد . مزقت القارات وطوح الناس بيوتهم بعيدا إلى حيث تبقى حيز وأرض جافة. وخلال حروب النفط الأخيرة لوث حادث كبير معظم مخزون المياه العذبة في السويد والنرويج القديمتين تاركا المنطقتين غير صالحتين للسكن.
عرف القرن التالي بأسم ( عصر الشفق) والذي نفذ
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, sf
This is a lovely, lyrical novel. It takes place long after a water shortage. The reader doesn't see the wars or the chaos, just the new world that has emerged. The traditions and cultures that underpin the new society are at once recognizable and new. The main characters are capable and inquisitive teenagers who never act more heroic than is believable. I loved that the author didn't ever pander to the tropes of current teen lit. There's connection and conflict between characters, but no boy to ...more
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fell a little flat for me. I will be back to elaborate. I just bumped this to 4 stars. It has lingered over the last few days. I keep thinking about water. Then I think about the issues the world has with water. Drought in Africa, Flint Michigan, there is a town in California that has no running water, potable water in India, there is so much more....The Dakota Pipeline.... Then I think about this novel. Yes, it fell a bit flat. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, this was a quiet, subtle ...more
David Holmes
This is a book club read that I would probably never have heard of otherwise. It's a sort of post-apocalypse dystopia, but not quite like any I've read before.

For the first 200 pages, I was enjoying it quite a bit. The setting had some serious plausibility issues, but I was able to overlook them because I was engaged and curious about the world. Unfortunately in the latter half of the book, some things happened that started to really annoy me.

I see that this book is labeled "young adult" by some
Lata
A fairly quick read, not sure how to rate it yet. I mostly liked the writing but found descriptions a little confusing sometimes, and my attention wandered occasionally.
Nikki
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memory of Water is a slow story, a story which takes all the time it needs to unfold. Although it’s post-apocalyptic and dystopian, the focus is more on the emotional journey of the protagonist, who comes to understand her world and her place in it. The background is really fascinating, amalgamating a Finnish setting with Asian tea ceremonies. The prose and the pacing all echo those tea ceremonies: deliberate, considered, every movement relevant and part of the whole.

It’s not about dramatic clas
Ida
Teemestarin kirja on hieno, vakava romaani. Oloni on nyt jotenkin harras ja hiljainen. En tiedä, mitä sanoisin, miten sanoisin.

Se on ainakin varmaa, että ajattelen vettä useammin kuin aikaisemmin.
Lucy
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This didn't strike me as something I would enjoy but I was very impressed by it. Set in a stark, dystopian future where water is scarce, teenage Noria Kaitio is becoming a tea master and growing up very quickly. She soon becomes the keeper of two very important secrets; the illegal water spring entrusted to her by her father and, with her best friend, historical evidence of where the water went. She soon starts to resist the government and her subversive struggle leads her down a dangerous path, ...more
Julia
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
* 4,5 tähteä *

Todella, todella hyvä tarina! Itärannalla on kaunis kirjoitustyyli, enkä ollut aikaisemmin lukenut tämän tyyppistä dystopiaromaania. Miljöö oli todentuntuinen, jopa liiankin; meret ovat vallanneet suurimman osan mantereista, jäätiköt sulaneet, Suomessa on yhtä kuumaa kuin nykypäivän Lähi-Idässä. Muovia ja tavaraa on kaikkialla, eivätkä ihmiset ymmärrä, miksi sitä on niin paljon. Onko tämä meidän tulevaisuutemme?

Puoli tähteä lähti avoimen lopun takia, vaikka toisaalta ymmärrän sen
Anna
Ir tik patīkami sastapties ar jauniešu distopiju, kas ne tikai pamanās izvairīties no jau iepriekš izraktām klišejām, bet pat sniedz filozofisku pievienoto vērtību.

Mierīga, skaista un apcerīga proza, kas visā grāmatas garumā pamanās noturēt lasītāja uzmanību, arī pārlieku neakcentējot šausmas un "nenomokot" savus tēlus; ticama un patīkama galvenā varone, kas jau agrā vecumā apveltīta ar stabilām vērtībām, taču neizslēdz no iekšējā vienādojuma naivumu un jaunības maksimālismu; skaudrs atgādināju
Katri
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Tarina oli mielenkiintoinen, kieli oli kaunista mutta jotain tästä puuttui. Se ei tullut tarpeeksi lähelle, vaan jäi jotenkin etäiseksi. Muuten tyylipuhdas romaani mutta se ei jättänyt kummempia tunnejälkiä. Odotan silti innolla Itärannan toisen kirjan lukemista!
Mary Robinette Kowal
After oil wars, come water wars. Seen through the eyes of a tea master, the obsession with water creates a visceral view of the future.
Husein Gasra
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
احتاج برهة من الوقت لأستوعب ما انهيت للتو. كأي عمل عظيم آخر، اتردد في ان اتقبل واقعية ما تؤول اليه الاحداث، او رغبتي في المزيد..
بالنسبة لي، ما لا تدركه أمانينا في واقع الحياة، تصل اليه تخيلاتنا وتنعقد منه آمالنا في ما نقرأ بين السطور.
العالم وان اتسع بما يكفي ليكون لكل فرد من سكّانه قارته الخاصة بمواردها وكنوزها التي لا تنضب، او ضاق بسكّانه حتى تمازجت لحومهم و انفركت عظامهم ببعضها، ستجد الطغاة والمتسلطين على رقاب البشر بكل الأحوال.
الزمن يدور والعصور تتوالى، اما الظلم والتسلط وحب الملكية المطلقة ل
  • Sarasvatin hiekkaa
  • Harjukaupungin salakäytävät
  • Taivaslaulu
  • Kun aika loppuu
  • Yösyöttö (Antti ja Paavo Pasanen #1)
  • Nälkävuosi
  • Myöhempien aikojen pyhiä
  • Sudenmorsian
  • Punainen erokirja
  • Mielensäpahoittaja
  • Missä kuljimme kerran
  • Kätilö

“Water is the most versatile of all elements. It isn't afraid to burn in fire or fade into the sky, it doesn't hesitate to shatter against sharp rocks in rainfall or drown into the dark shroud of the earth. It exists beyond all eginnings and ends. On the surface nothing will shift, but deep in underground silence, water will hide and with soft fingers coax a new channel for itself, until stone gives in and slowly settles around the secret space.
Death is water's close companion, and neither of them can be separated from us, for we are made of the versatilitiy of water and the closeness of death. Water doesn't belong to us, be we belong to water: when it has passed through our fingers and pores and bodies, nothing separates us from earth.”
15 likes
“Silence is not empty or immaterial, and it is not needed to chain tame things. It often guards powers strong enough to shatter everything.” 8 likes