Start by marking “Loving Summer (Loving Summer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Loving Summer (Loving Summer, #1)

Loving Summer (Loving Summer #1)

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  2,642 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
Summer has always looked forward to spending her summers at her Aunt's beach house with the Donovans. To her, summers at Aunt Sookie's beach house was magical, especially getting to spend time with the Donovans - her best friend Rachel and Rachel's brothers Nathaniel, and Drew. Here at Aunt Sookie's beach house, they can be anyone and anything they dreamed. For Summer, she ...more
Published May 28th 2012 by theEDGEbooks.com (first published May 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Loving Summer, please sign up.

Kailin Thank you for asking! Many people believe Loving Summer is a different series than Jenny Hans Series. Loving Summer sold and was downloaded over 1.5…moreThank you for asking! Many people believe Loving Summer is a different series than Jenny Hans Series. Loving Summer sold and was downloaded over 1.5 million times in the U.S. alone. Rights have been sold for translations into Korean, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese. It is also in pre-production as a feature film to be released theatrically in the US and on screens worldwide. A second film is in plans as well. I think people jumped to conclusions by the short descriptions of the book's first marketing blurb to think it was similar. Readers who have read the entire series know Loving Summer Series is like night and day to Hans Series. If anyone doesn't believe it, READ THE LOVING SUMMER SERIES before jumping to conclusions of a book and making accusations. Thank you for supporting me! God bless :D(less)
Kailin I can't say why they are here. Attacks on authors who are members of the Goodreads Community, as I am, are not allowed by Goodreads. The Goodreads…moreI can't say why they are here. Attacks on authors who are members of the Goodreads Community, as I am, are not allowed by Goodreads. The Goodreads staff should have caught anything that is a negative attack on an author as it is not in keeping with a community trying to promote authors and readers interaction. Their policy is stated here on this.

So, thank you for pointing out there are some negative reviews attacking me as an author and as a person. Constructive criticism is fine, but attacks on a person in a community trying to promote good will for authors and readers to get together (which you can never or hardly do in person and real life) is not going to get authors to ever meet with readers in person or online. Attacks on authors on Goodreads will not only cause authors to not talk to or interact with readers again, but hinder their writing more books or new books for the fans who do support them and want to read more.

I applaud Goodreads' staff for this new policy, and I hope they are able to implement it, too.

As far as negative attacks on authors being used as a tactic? I can't say what it is...I only know that most of the negative reviews I've experienced which were personal attacks, were posted 2011, 2012 when indie published authors' books began hitting bestselling lists and doing so well, they became threats. So, maybe. But then again, we don't know. It is fishy when someone from a country where my books are NOT even sold does post a negative review, and you wondered how they even got a copy of it to read. So, maybe.

But whatever it is, just remember, take reviews, what you read online, etc. with a grain of salt before believing everything.

Thank you for being so supportive! God bless!
(less)
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberSlammed by Colleen HooverThoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. Stephens
New Adult/Post HS books
814 books — 2,047 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. Stephens
College Romance
1,217 books — 7,792 voters

More lists with this book...

Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Sorry,but can this lady come up with her own ideas instead of stealing others? As far as I know she "borrowed" Vampire Academy,The Iron Fey,Hunger Games,The Forest of Hands and Teeth,Bloodlines and now the Summer trilogy.

Katrina Passick Lumsden
Jun 02, 2012 Katrina Passick Lumsden marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: never
I recently read Kailin Gow's Saving You Saving Me, and was rewarded with the heads-up that it is basically a much tamer rip-off of Fifty Shades of Grey. I just finished reading Fifty Shades of Grey and yeah, everyone's right; total and complete rip-off. So then I started hunting around for clues as to who this Kailin Gow is, and I ended up reading the synopsis for her new book, Loving Summer.

"Summer has always looked forward to spending her summers at her Aunt’s beach house with the Donovans. To
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
now,everybody's heard of 2 guys chasing a girl,but all 3 of them desperately in love with her ?

yeh,me neither....and hence this book...(big mistake)

its basically starts out with young Miss Summers ,deciding to spend summer at her Aunt Sookie's beach pad, with her childhood friends Nat,Drew and Rachel ,all siblings.

Growing up with the Donovans , summer's always been in love with the oldest, brooding,handsome, Nat,WHO'S LIFE'S MISSION is remain obvious to her feeling's while stringing her al
Kailin
Jan 29, 2012 Kailin rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Update 2016!

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE READERS OF LOVING SUMMER!

Over 1.5 million books sold or downloaded in the US alone. Loving Summer Series is being translated into Korean. Loving Summer Series has already been translated into Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese. More languages on the way!

Now there are 2 films planned and being produced by an award-winning women-friendly film production company. The first film, Loving Summer is currently in pre-production.

After 9 books (AND STILL
Rabiah
Jun 15, 2012 Rabiah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, arc, signed, blog-tour
Originally posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.in/20...

Another perfect summer read!

I've been reading them by the dozen, all of them excellent, and Loving Summer is definitely one NOT to miss! I jumped at the chance to be apart of this blog tour. Why? Well, for starters, Kailin Gow's books have caught my attention for AGES and I've never been able to get my hands on one uptil now. Another reason: the cover. GOR. GE. OUS. Love it! And it totally made me curious as to who she'd end up with.
I
Eileen
Jun 14, 2012 Eileen rated it it was ok
Wow, I don't even know what to say. Other than the fact that this book is so cheesy. Many people claim this is a rip-off of Jenny Han's Summer trilogy, and I've never read that trilogy, so I can't really testify against that. There are also many people who claim her other novels are rip-offs of the Hunger Games, the Iron Fey, Vampire Academy, Bloodlines, etc. etc. Anyway, now past that part where I tell you how there are many claims that Kailin has ripped-off other more popular novels, I also ha ...more
Megan
Jun 04, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
This is a really hard book for me to review, I actually finished reading it 2 days ago and I have been thinking about my review since then.
Is it a good book? Yes
Is it a series I want to continue reading? Yes
Did I love all the characters? Yes
As you can see there isn’t anything that I didn’t actually LIKE about the book, except the fact that I did actually get teary near the end, that part was so super sad!
I really like Summer, she is the proverbial black swan… weird and gangly when she was youn
Michelle
May 27, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-on-blog, own
Loving Summer is the perfect beach read. I seriously had a perma-smile on while reading this book. Loving Summer is a cute, fun contemporary. I have read one other Kailin Gow book, Saving you Saving me and I enjoyed it so I expected to enjoy this book too. I just didn't realize how much I would love it.

Kailin has a tendency to make female characters that all the guys seem to love. And Summer was no different. She had three guys chasing after her, but it wasn't in an annoying- "this would never
Jun 13, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I had to jump right in and start reading this book even though I was in the process of reading another book. My book will just have to understand that when it comes to a Kailin Gow book others just have to wait.

First of all I am liking Kailin's venture into the YA romance genre. I came to know Kailin's writing through the Frost Series and the Desire series (both I love!!!). Her writing just sucks me in no matter what the genre is. Maybe I'm a little biased because I feel that you can't go wrong
Ashley Chen
May 30, 2012 Ashley Chen rated it it was amazing
More Reviews Posted on FireStarBooks

I received the book as apart of a blog tour. :)

Wow this novel! I don't focus on my genre on contemporary, but when I saw this blog tour, I jumped on it, fast! I don't know why but I think this book had potential. This book definitely made me want to read more contemporary books.

The characters in the book were not boring. I didn't hate them! YAY! I found normal contemporary female characters will always complain about why would a guy pick me because I am not w
P.A. Warren
Mar 15, 2012 P.A. Warren rated it it was amazing
Taken from my blog Le' BookSquirrel

Kailin Gow has done it again...creating yet another great story...that when it ends your left wanting to beg her to hurry up and release the following book.How can she keep doing this to me..oh the torture!(Okay enough dramatics..breath in breath out..)
In Loving Summer your introduced to Summer,Rachel,Nat,Drew and Aunt Sookie(who I happened to have so much trouble with her name since everytime I read it..I read it in Vampire Bills...Sookeh voice.) I dont want
Isabel Yang
Mar 02, 2012 Isabel Yang marked it as to-read
This sounds a lot like the Summer series by Jenny Han
Shane
May 24, 2012 Shane rated it it was amazing
-Itching For Books Reviews

Loving Summer was short, sweet, and believable. This is the perfect setting for the hot season, and you'll literally feel every scene come to life on each page. Kailin Gow is an outstanding author capturing every essence of a young girl trying to figure out what she wants and how to deal with love.

What can I say? This book was indeed a loving summer. I've never read a story that included so many potentials chasing after one girl. I was tired for her, knowing she'd have
Little Paper Rose Reviews
- Review taken from my YA book blog Little Paper Rose

(2.8)

The synopsis of 'Loving Summer' made me think of 'The Boys Next Door' by Jennifer Echols and the 'Summer' series by Jenny Han - my love for YA fiction started there and as I'm writing this I'm noticing a pattern.. love triangles that involves brothers (I'm ignoring the voice in my head saying that's weird.)

I do like me a good love triangle, as long as it's well-done and believable. 'Loving Summer' featured a love square and I have yet to
Ellen
Apr 27, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tours, arc
I really loved this book. It is the perfect summer read. Nat, Drew, and Rachel Donovan are spending the summer with their childhood friend, Summer Jones, who they haven't seen in three years, and a lot has changed in those three years...they have all grown up. Summer is no longer the 13-year-old with braces, Drew is the star football player and is totally hot, and Nathaniel is pretty hot himself. As they reunite at Summer's Aunt Sookie's Malibu beach house, they not only rekindle their childhood ...more
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
3.75-4 Stars

Don't hate me, but I really enjoy stories where guys compete for the love of a girl. Normally these stories only involve two guys competing, but this one had three. Yes, THREE. Is it weird to want this girl's problem? Seriously. Three drop dead gorgeous guys wanting lil ole me is a ridiculous fantasy, but hey, a girl can dream. lol.

However, this story about Summer and her three potential mates did give me whiplash. Let me introduce them. First there's Nathaniel or Nat. Summer has ha
Constance R.
Apr 30, 2012 Constance R. rated it it was amazing
I'm excited to have an ARC copy of Loving Summer, which I received as part of a teacher's beta group from the publisher. I love Summer and her friendship with Rachel whose two older brothers fall for Summer. Loving Summer is more than a romance and a crush on one of the Donovan brothers, but it's about growing up and taking responsibility. Summer and the Donovans have not seen each other for three years, but because of a family crisis, they are thrown together at Summer's Aunt's beach house in M ...more
Anagha
Jun 02, 2012 Anagha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kailin's fans, contemporary readers
Shelves: posted
Originally posted on my blog: http://book-spark.blogspot.com/2012/0...

"He heads off, leaving me with Drew. I look at him. 'The Drew Effect? Seriously?'
'I get it at most places,' he says, starting to grin, but then stopping himself. 'Honestly, it can get pretty annoying.'
'Oh, poor Drew,' I say. Like pretty girls giving him their number is really a problem."

Loving Summer was absolutely the perfect way to start the summer! It was a very short, light read, perfect for the beach. Although it isn't al
Tammi
May 27, 2012 Tammi rated it really liked it
What would it be like if you could return to your favorite time of year? Summer has always loved spending time with her Aunt Sookie at her beach house in Malibu during the summer months. It helped that she also got to spend time with the Donovans - Rachel, Nathaniel and Drew. Summer had a lot of firsts with the Donnovans - "first kisses, first love and first heartbreak."

Rachel Donnovan is her best-friend and she is excited to be spending the summer with them after not having done so in a while.
Tiffany Holme
Apr 27, 2012 Tiffany Holme rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list, paperback, arc
When I got the email about this blog tour I was all but jumping on the computer to be a part of it. Kailin Gow is by far one of my favorite authors. So when I seen this was not only by her but also a contemporary I can't even tell you how excited I was to get started. With all my excitement and the build up of anticipation I started to become afraid that I would be let down. That was not the case, actually it is so far from the case I was crazy for even thinking it.

This story is predominately a
Melissa
Jun 12, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I just finished Loving Summer and I am completely speechless. It was a quick, summer read but there was much more depth in this book than you'd think there was.

The plot definitely wasn't as lovey dovey as I thought it would be. Sure, there's a huge love sqaure but as the second half of the book progresses that becomes a secondary aspect. I'm pretty sure the plot of this book is to have as much fun possible and remember the good moments in life. I'm not sure, but there were a lot of sad moments
Kayla (Ramblings of a Book Junkie)
I've been wanting to read Loving Summer for a while now. I have heard mixed reviews but decided the only way to figure out about the book was to read it myself. That being said, I jumped at the opportunity to read this book for a blog tour and I am happy I did. I discovered a new series about two of my favorite things, romance & summer.

If you have had the chance, like I did, to read any reviews of this book then you more than likely heard that it was compared to Jenny Han's series, The Summe
Avry15
Jun 27, 2012 Avry15 rated it really liked it
originally appeared on: Bookshelf Confessions

Shame, but I haven’t read any of Kailin’s book other than this. And like many other readers, I did enjoy reading “Loving Summer”.

I am a bit hesitant of reviewing the book actually. Not because I don’t like it, but because I have problems reading e-books. But when the tour comes out, it just happens, I sign-up for review and here I am. Note: My review is not influenced by my participating in the blog tour. This is my own honest opinion.

I really like th
Lovey Dovey Books
Apr 17, 2012 Lovey Dovey Books rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on Lovey Dovey Books

Two words to describe Kailin Gow's deeper foray into contemporary realistic fiction: absolutely ingenious. Loving Summer drew me in with the promise of complicated love and delivered much more than expected.

I immediately felt the love and excitement Summer Jones and her childhood friends, the Donovan siblings, have for the Malibu beach house and Aunt Sookie. Summer's Aunt Sookie is like a beacon in foggy weather when the teens are in need of comfort and esca
Angela Fristoe
May 29, 2012 Angela Fristoe rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books
Loving Summer did not go the way I expected. I was expecting a typical love triangle, but the book was so much more than that, and not just because there was third love interest.

Summer is the central character and she comes across as very likeable. She struggles with her seemingly unrequited love for Nat, and her growing attraction to Drew and a popular actor who is working for her aunt, who is showing an interest in her as well. There was a lot of room for Summer to make selfish, or silly decis
Keanna Lewis
Feb 01, 2012 Keanna Lewis rated it really liked it
This book looks very interesting and seems like it has a really cool storyline
Fred
Feb 07, 2012 Fred marked it as to-read
Looking forward to this, but something sounds familiar about it? But some plots are too awesome for one book/series!
Felicia Chien
Jun 04, 2012 Felicia Chien rated it really liked it
Book: Loving Summer by Kailin Gow
Pages: 210
Genre: Young Adult, Romance
Source: Sent from The Edge Books

Short Synopsis: Summer always enjoyed spending her summers at Aunt Sookie's house along with the Donavan's, Nat, Drew, and Rachel. But it's been three years since they've seen each other, and everyone has changed since then.

My Thoughts: Not quite as good as Gow's Saving You Saving Me series, but still an interesting read with exciting characters.

Summer had always loved spending her summers at
Anatea Oroz
This review is also posted on my blog, Anatea's Bookshelf.

So, I'm a little torn on what to think about this book. But I decided to give it 3 stars after all. If I gave it 2 stars, that would mean I didn't quite enjoy the book, which I did. I read it in one sitting. Before you know it you're half way throught the book, and than you decide to read just one more chapter, and than you're finished with the book. There just isn't the right moment to stop reading. This book is a real page turner!

I didn
Bookish Michelle
May 24, 2012 Bookish Michelle rated it really liked it
A lovely summer read about friendship, love and loss. Three years is a lot of time and many things can change during this period of time. So, when these four childhood family friends reunite again at the Malibu beach house, what could have changed?

I have enjoyed Ms Gow's writing style and especially the way she dealt with the characters' feelings. In Loving Summer, you get to read from a few POVs and each provides more insight into the characters' deepest thoughts and feelings. Since this book i
  • Last Summer
  • Please Don't Tell (Please Don't Tell, #1)
  • The Summer of No Regrets
  • The Ocean
  • The Truth About Faking (The Truth, #1)
  • Bound (Bound Series, #1)
  • Pretend (Pretend, #1)
  • Chasing McCree (Chasing McCree, #1)
  • The Unloved
  • What I've Done
  • Lost In Light (Teacher's Pet, #1)
  • Don't You Remember?
  • The Kiss Off (The Kiss Off, #1)
  • A Summer to Remember (Seasons, #1)
  • The Carny
  • The Summer My Life Began
  • Heart of Glass
  • Redheads are Soulless
Having sold over 5 million books, produced and hosted 4 television shows now playing or soon to be playing on Amazon Prime TV and other channels; ALA YALSA Award-winning international bestselling author Kailin Gow is one of the most prolific content creators in American and was called an "innovating author" and an "Author as Influencer" by Goodreads executives at Book Expo America 2014 in their sp ...more
More about Kailin Gow...

Loving Summer (9 books)
  • Falling for Summer (Donovan Brothers #1) (Loving Summer, #2)
  • Perfect Summer (Loving Summer, #3)
  • Secrets of the Fall (Donovan brothers, #2) (Loving Summer, #4)
  • Lasting Summer (Loving Summer, #5)
  • Free Fall (Donovan Brothers #3)
  • Free Fall Vol. 2
  • Free Fall Vol. 3
  • Summer's Landing (Loving Summer #9)

“I know that whatever you decide, you’ll be happy, Summer, and that is the only thing I could ever wish. Whatever happens in the rest of this summer, whatever happens the rest of your life, it’s important that you are happy, and stay that way. – Aunt Sookie” 3 likes