Start by marking “Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Management” as Want to Read:
Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Management

Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Management

Strategy Safari, the international bestseller on business strategy by leading management thinker Henry Mintzberg and his colleagues Bruce Ahlstrand and Joseph Lampel, is widely considered a classic work in the field.

No other book synthesizes the entire history and evolution of strategic management in so lively and entertaining a fashion. Since the initial publication of St
Published June 6th 2005 by Free Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Strategy Safari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strategy Safari

Start your review of Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Management
Tanja Berg
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
I had expected this book to be more concrete, a sort of strategy cook book. What I got was a short history of the different strategical schools, their development and their short-comings. Certainly useful in order to develop a holistic view, but not so helpful in regards to exactly how to create an implement a strategy. This book has certainly given me a lot to think about. Since some of the material was new and since strategic theory in itself is fairly new to me, it needs time to sink in. The ...more
Murray
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very well-developed book, based on the review of tons of material. The authors mentioned they may be somewhat biased to certain schools of thought on strategy. It shows, but the coverage of the different approaches and theories and the schools they've grouped them into is generally well-rounded. The coverage of each school share a similar breakdown, including how the theories developed and by whom, examples of studies, key premises, and good and bad points of each school. They also compare and ...more
Dennis Boccippio
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
Outstanding, I'm putting this up there with "the lords of strategy" as one of the more useful surveys of the field (not that there are many), it brings order to chaos, but as the authors note, is appropriately cautious about the allure of false simplicity.

The writing style is fresh and clear, even for a subject which is both dense and ethereal at the same time.

The authors definitely have their preferences among the ten "schools" of strategic management, as evidenced by disproportionate attentio
Erin
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Needed an editor. Lots of historical perspective, few true nuggets of wisdom with which to put into practice.
Imane MouEl
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book as part of an assignment I was given this year in college, and at first I thought it was going to be a bit of hassle because I was forced into reading a hundred of pages in less than a week and write a synthesis about them and much to my surprise it was the contrary and I’ve found myself devouring the book. It describes the overarching field of strategic management and defines each school an synthesizes the advantages and the limits of each position.
The best thing about it of co
Anjar Priandoyo
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
Mintzberg and Porter is different kind of business academia which contrast to other business academia which is pure scientist such as Everett Rogers. Although Mintzberg seems to live in university he is not a pure scientist. Couples of reasons:

1. Mintzberg and Porter is an integral part of the business industry. Porter build Monitor and Mintzberg awarded many times by McKinsey -in which he criticize. Therefore its audience is different than what is pure academia audience.

2. Although both of them
Jorė
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Probably the most useful book on strategy I've ever read. It might be confusing, starting to describe major schools of strategy as different parts of the elephant and coming up with conclusion that well, maybe it's not an elephant after all, but at least 10 different animals roaming in their jungle.
The main message is, that there's no one way of doing strategy and what would be a better way to go is having a toolbox where one can find what's needed for the concrete situation. Most often it will
Moujahed Dkmak
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
So deep book about strategies school, very beautiful concept about making it like safari and putting elephants inside it and at the end saying that each person will see the elephant that he see from his own perspective, thats mean in which school you believe its the Best

A very deep book contain a lot of information, Honestly i didn’t catch everything inside it, maybe some chapters that i have made summaries for it, 3 chapters, and the other chapters just catching some information

If you are inte
Bruno Rio
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emergency-exit
don't take me wrong it is a very well done review on strategy history and different theoretical approaches. Nevertheless I found it really difficult to keep on track and to keep interest. It just drags and feels like unnecessary detail and not that useful. I work in strategy development and deployment but this totally academia. Not 4 me. just a bear to read..
Shining
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Folks, learn to read forwards by authors when you read any book. If you come in with the expectation of a strategy cook book, and you don’t read the forward, you are the target audience of McKindsey and BCG books. If you want to understand this ambiguous word called strategy and how different people look at it, this this book will most likely become one of your favourites.
Stefan Bruun
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
An academic overview

The book gives a solid overview of the different models for thinking of strategy. As a practitioner, I would have loved some more examples of application rather than review of academic literature.
bookworm
Nov 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Poorly written book, full of typos and written in an unscientific, anecdotal tone.
Antonio
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: strategy
So this is my assessment of this book Strategy Safari by Henry Minzberg according to my 6 criteria:
1. Related to practice - 4 stars

Total 4 stars
Donovan Richards
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Don’t Mind Me—I’m Just Looking at the Animals

The intrigue of a safari surrounds the possibility of gazing upon diverse wildlife inconceivable in daily life. Whether the lethargic reclining of a hippopotamus or the restless chatter of a primate, one could imagine a simple animistic existence. Acting as a metaphor for the contrasting philosophies of strategic management, Mintzberg, Ahlstrand, and Lampel utilize the safari as an image of the wilds of business management.

Strategy Defined

Strategy S
Mahmoud sahranavard
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: strategy
A fantastic book that every strategist should read. It is a thorough understanding of how strategy thinking is developed over time.
E
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Inside the 10 schools of strategic management

You could read 100 books on corporate strategy and not find any of them as informative or as pleasant as this one. While no one would read a discussion of the core precepts of different corporate strategy schemes for entertainment, this book’s three authors come reasonably close to providing just that. Using a sprinkling of witty quotes and cartoons to spice up their text, Henry Mintzberg, Bruce Ahlstrand and Joseph Lampel explain 10 strategy theories
Vince
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mintzberg and company provide a thorough and frequently engaging tour through the main theoretical approaches to strategic planning. The tone and style of this literature review reflect Mintzberg's iconoclastic authorial persona, which I enjoy.

If "literature review" didn't provide sufficient indication, a quick perusal of the 470 pages of main content will convince you this is an academic read. Devoid of case-studies and applications, the text is littered with models, diagrams, breakouts, and ot
Felix Reidinger
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pr-and-com
The book gives you a holistic view over different strategic schools and perspectives and also delivers a good overview over the theoretical and practical evolution of strategy development over the last 70 years. Mintzberg covers the advantages and disadvantages of each strategy schools and therefore makes it comparable to the other perspectives. The book helped me as a communication professional to give some structure to my knowledge I acquired at university and in my first years in my professio ...more
David
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to understand Strategy and/or major threads of business thinking
Really enjoying this book. It's a great survey of the how thinking/strategy was done, researched, taught, etc. from about 1950 on. Not totally objective (the authors are *definitely* biased towards one approach, and state so), but a good overview of 10 different "schools of thought."

Very worth reading for the education.
Very worth reading to "find myself" in the list - what schools do I like or hate, what aspects of Strategy / Strategic Thinking am I too strong on, too weak on, too sold on, etc.

I
Nathanael Coyne
This book is essential reading for executives, managers, strategists, analysts and design thinkers. Strategy theory can be a dry topic but this book is easy to read with useful diagrams that help explain the different concepts. It offers an objective overview of all different styles of strategic thinking rather than advocate one particular style.

Read the rest of the review at:
Avanti
Sep 29, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: Students of Strategic Management
This book is a good reference for strategic management classes. I used this book in my strategic management class, strategy process class, and Organization-Environment Session in my Organization Theory Class.
Josh
Jan 19, 2009 is currently reading it
I've learnt a lot from this book, so far. The book is well formed however, people reading this book will have difficulty understanding some sections and theory of the book if they have no understanding of the basics of strategy.
Robert Bütof
An important overview of the various ways of strategy making. I would not call the book enlightening, but it is a must-read if you want to understand the broad range of strategic possibilities and where they have their roots.
Sheldon
Good information pulled from various sources but I found it a bear to read, not completely sure why. With the depth and various sources that the book pulls from it would/will be a good resource for the bookshelf.
Vincent Darlage
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
I enjoyed this safari through strategic management. It highlighted a lot of assumptions I never quite understood before, gave me great ideas for fiction, and gave me ideas for courses of action as a PhD learner - and may well inform my dissertation.
Denis Korsunov
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I see this book as a "Strategy bites back v.1". V.2 (actually original "Strategy bites back") develops original idea and becomes a masterpiece. So you can move directly to "Strategy bites back" and lose nothing.
Eetu Kirsi
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Main source for my thesis back in the 2010. Great albeit a tad too long journey through different schools of strategic management established until the publication of the book.

Great workbook for studying strategy.
Shelby
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I had to read this for my business management class. It is admittedly well done, but I can’t ever see myself ‘liking’ a strategic management book. This was probably the closest I’ll get so kudos to that.
Tina
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A lot of schools of thought covered. You'd have to chase up the references to get more in-depth information on any one of them but a useful overview.
Pedro
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very useful book, particularly in terms of the characterization of the differences between managers styles regarding this subject.

• Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance
  • Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters
  • Competing for the Future
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • The Lords of Strategy: The Secret Intellectual History of the New Corporate World
  • Understanding Michael Porter: The Essential Guide to Competition and Strategy
  • Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
  • Leading Change
  • Principles of Marketing
  • Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
  • Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life
  • Management Information Systems: Managing the Digital Firm
  • Your Strategy Needs a Strategy: How to Choose and Execute the Right Approach
  • Co-Opetition
  • The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
  • Blue Ocean Shift: Beyond Competing - Proven Steps to Inspire Confidence and Seize New Growth
Professor Henry Mintzberg, OC , OQ , Ph.D. , D.h.c. , FRSC (born September 2, 1939) is an internationally renowned academic and author on business and management. He is currently the Cleghorn Professor of Management Studies at the Desautels Faculty of Management of McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where he has been teaching since 1968, after earning his Master's degree in Management ...more

News & Interviews