Start by marking “Was Menschen Gutes tun (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)” as Want to Read:
Was Menschen Gutes tun (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)

Was Menschen Gutes tun

(Star Trek: Enterprise #11)

Pax Galactica. Feinde werden Verbündete. Alte Geheimnisse werden endlich gelüftet. Lang gehegte Überzeugungen und allgemein anerkannte Wahrheiten werden infrage gestellt. Die Menschheit widmet sich angenehmen Beschäftigungen.

In diesem goldenen Zeitalter treffen zwei alte Freunde aufeinander. Sie wollen verstehen und fragen sich, wie das, was sie so lange geglaubt haben und
Mass Market Paperback, 504 pages
Published December 15th 2011 by Cross Cult (first published March 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Was Menschen Gutes tun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Was Menschen Gutes tun

Start your review of Was Menschen Gutes tun (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
Matthew Rasnake
Feb 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: disgruntled Enterprise fans, Trek fans, english language masochists
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I have to admit it... I liked Enterprise. The premise had promise, and the characters, when well-written, were engaging and enjoyable. Whole volumes could be written about just how much, and why, the show sucked so bad, and exactly who was responsible (Berman, Braga, I'm lookin' at you). When in the fourth season they brought on a new Exec and head writer, it really started to fulfill its potential. Then, of course, it was canceled and they ended with one of the single worst, most offensive and ...more
Shadowdenizen
3.5 stars.
A solid start to the post-tv Enterprise "relaunch."

While not the best-written Trek novel, it does undo much of the damage caused by the series finale, so we'll bump this up to 4 stars.
Stephanie
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, sci-fi, adventure, 2013
Okay, I need to state up front that I am not a nerd. I don't say this to disparage nerds in any way; rather, I don't know enough of the nerd cannon to ever be able to hold my own, and real nerds would laugh me right out of the nerd... room. (Holodeck!! It's probably a holodeck). Anyway, I believe I may have upped my nerd cred a fraction by reading a Star Trek novel.
I watched Enterprise. It's the only Star Trek series that I have actually watched all the way through while it was airing (although
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I love Star Trek. I grew up watching the Original Series and have watched all the other incarnations of the show. Star Trek Enterprise is my favorite and Commander Trip Tucker is one of my favorite Star Trek characters. The Enterprise series finale These are the Voyages was a travesty as far as Trip's story was concerned. I didn't necessarily mind the inclusion of Riker and Troi and the holodeck recreation, but I refuse to believe the end of Trip's story as Star Trek canon.

When I discovered a bo
Dan
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tightly-plotted, well-written story that leaves us in a much better place than the awful final episode of Enterprise. The characters all felt real, and the motivations for their actions felt surprisingly genuine. With the exception of Star Trek: Destiny, The Good That Men Do is probably the novel I recommend the most to my friends to get them hooked on Trek books. This is the height of Mangels and Martin's Trek work, in my opinion. A fun novel from start to finish that rights a few of the wron ...more
Jillian
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gods, do I just appreciate having a real trajectory for this series post-cancellation.
Mark Horner
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a Trekker through & through so I really enjoyed this story & its sequels. I really wish the actual series had taken this route ...more
Camille
"[Thank you to] the legions of Trip fans out there who were happy to see us reinterpret canon, spit in the grim reaper's eye, and seek out and exploit every available loophole on Trip's behalf." - Acknowledgements

Note that while this review may seem spoiler-y, it doesn't contain anything you won't find in season 4 of Enterprise, the first few chapters of the book, or the publisher's summary.

Ah, The Good that Men Do. To say that I simply enjoyed this novel would be a gross understatement; I adore
Christian
Sep 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Enterprise Fans who hated the Finale; Star Trek Completists
Does a good job of reworking (while mocking) the abominable Berman/Braga finale to Enterprise. But as with many Star Trek books, the story itself isn't really compelling, with the typical lack of tension (gee, I wonder if the away team couldn't transport out because the Enterprise had been destroyed) and one gets the sense that the 'Star Trek' on the cover is the only reason it was published.

That said, pick this up if your eyes bled during the series finale, as it'll make you feel a lot better.
Daniel
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Good That Men Do" is the first post-Enterprise book, sort of. Most people familiar with the Star Trek canon know that Earth and Romulus had a war around this time, most also know that the founding members of the Federation are Terrans, Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellarites. What this book tries to do is tie the founding in with the war at the end of Enterprise.

To understand where this book is coming from, you need to watch the series finale of Enterprise. If you somewhat liked Enterprise, you
Adam Walker
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a million others have said already, this book does extreme justice to the travesty of the last episode of Enterprise. Trip Tucker in fact, does NOT die and instead becomes a secret agent of sorts meant to throw a monkey wrench into the impending war with the Romulans.

All the favorite characters from the show are back, Including Shran! overall the book does a good job of laying the foundation for whats to come. the looming Romulan war, the founding of the Federation and Trips (hopefull) return
Heidi
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Enterprise and Tucker fans only

As a huge fan of Enterprise, I felt insulted by the last episode that didn't only kill off my favourite character in a way that nearly made me cry; it also focused on two characters from another Star Trek series, Riker and Troi from TNG, assuming everyone knows them. That's just disrespectful to both the fans of Enterprise as well as the characters and their respective actors.

Guess what? The authors of The Good That Men Do did exactly the same thing with Jake Sisko and Nog from DS9, for
Stephanie
Yes, yes, yes!

I've read some really awesome reviews of this book so I will keep mine short and on point. I'd only just watched the end of this series and went back to the beginning and online to find answers. This book gives me some of the biggest I'd been missing. I'm not going to argue the canon/non-Canon issue, I'm just going to say that I like how these writers have given Enterprise the story it deserves and I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.
Ek
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trip lives! It's not the best written book in the world, but it's entertaining, and for anyone who was unhappy with Trip's death in the finale of Enterprise, you should definitely read this book.
Crystal Bensley
Decent start to the Enterprise relaunch!
Jen Grogan
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, tie-in
After my husband and I finished watching Star Trek: Enterprise and I'd seen the abysmal travesty of its finale for the second time (I watched some of the series without my husband a year or so ago), I had to read this to see how the authors altered the finale. I liked a lot of what they came up with in theory - the various conceits involved in turning the canonical finale into historical fakery make a hell of a lot more sense than the idea of the episode being the truth does, for sure, and I enj ...more
Bruce MacLean
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If, like me, you watched the finale Of Star Trek: Enterprise, with a sense of bewilderment and betrayal at the way a beloved character was so callously discarded, then this book will help ease those pains as it turns out it was all just a bloody ruse!
While not perfect by any means, there's a good enough story here to keep you entertained.
What is slightly weird is the framing device; I personally didn't mind Riker's appearance in ST:E, but here, using Jake and Nog, falls completely flat, serving
Piper Harris
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: staaar-trekking
didn't blow my mind, and i want everyone to shut up about section 31 already because it's already pretty much ruined by overuse. let ds9 have this!
but it's hard to ruin a story that resurrects trip tucker and completely negates everything that happened in the terrible series finale. this book gave me all the emotions. and i adore our florida king.
Adam
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rather excellent read. Anything that can wash out the taste of the worst true finale in Star Trek history. The cast and crew of the NX-01 Enterprise deserved a much better finale than they received on television, and this book supplied it in spades.
David King
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main reason I couldn't wait to get reading this book was that the plot was centred on re-writing the travesty that was the Enterprise series finale and undoing the death of Commander Tucker. I don't normally support such blatant circumvention of established canon but I was more than happy to see Mangels and Martin try to undo the mess I had seen on television.

The novel is based around the premise that Commander Tucker has been growing increasingly worried about the threat posed by the Romula
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I'd never read a Star Trek novel before this (that is, if you don't count the Star Trek Online book) and I'm glad I chose this one for my first taste. I quite liked Enterprise, even though by the time I actually got to watching the series it had already been canceled for several years. That might have affected the way I viewed the events in the series finale, in the cool manner with which one accepts anything that happens on a doomed show.

However, I knew a lot of other people were upset with th
Srinivas
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Enterprise fans, Trip fans, Enterprise fans who absolutely hated the last episode
Shelves: star-trek
Finally...we have a good explanation about what "really" happened with Commander Tucker.

The way his character was just killed off in the final episodes of the Enterprise would have left much more than a few fans (like me) fuming. I mean..seriously...a simple pirate ship invading NX01 at a whim and killing off Trip...that just had to be one of the most absurd stories ever. Needless to say that it made the security and preparedness of one of our most loved crews look laughable. Am so relieved to k
John (JP)
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the 1st of 4 books that reveal how Enterprise the TV series should have ended. The other books in the series ae Star Trek Enterprise (STE) Kobayashi Maru, STE The Romulan War Beneath the Rapots Wing, and STE The Roomulan War To Brave the Storm. These books tell the story Captian Archer's crew from the end of Xindi War to the beginning of the Federation of Planets. The writer does not cheat his readers with time travel or magic aliens but tells a great tale.

The Good that men do focu
Alli
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2011
I liked this book a lot more than I have liked previous Star Trek: Enterprise books, in part because it is a CANON fix to the god-awful wreck that was "These Are the Voyages..." I'm one of those Enterprise fans who considers "Terra Prime" to be the series finale, because the actual one was such a complete waste of space, waste of characters, and a poorly done attempt to tie ST:E together with ST:TNG, which it had spent too many episodes already doing in the final season.
James Aled
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that although I am a big Star Trek fan I've never felt drawn to reading one of the books. That was until the disappointing ending of Enterprise. Without *spoilers* the ending leaves a lot to be desired. This book takes a few steps towards repairing dryer damage and explaining some of the discrepancies of the series. An entertaining mix of space opera and galactic espionage. Well worth a read if that is your thing.
Angela
Nog finds some declassified information about the original Enterprise. History has not recorded the real story. If you read only one Enterprise book, then read this one. It completely changes the last episode in a plausible way. This is the way Enterprise should have ended, and thanks to the holodeck aspect of the episode, it means this can be the real story. Trip features heavily and so does Shran. A really good read.
David A
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trip didn't die in the finale of "Star Trek: Enterprise"! This story tells what really happened, and sets the stage for the Earth-Romulan War as Section 31 recruits trip to investigate mysterious attacks on the Coalition of Planets. Important info on Captain Archer and the Trip-T'Pol relationship. I enjoyed the book, and it made me ready to read the upcoming "Kobyashi Maru" novel.
Julia
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
In the last episode of "Enterprise" Trip died a meaningless death. This novel quite successfully sets it right: he staged his death, telling only the captain, Reed and Pholx so he could join Section 31 to fight the unseen, at this point, Romulans. In this book Section 31 comes off much better than in other books.
Gwen
Jan 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trip fans
Shelves: startrek, sci-fi
Way better way of explaining of what happened to Trip than what the show Enterprise did. As always well written by Mangles and Martin who seemed to grasp the best loved characters from the series well.
Marissa
Aug 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trip fans who hated the season finale of Enterprise
Trip lives! Vindication for the horrible, terrible season finale of Enterprise.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing (Star Trek: Enterprise #13)
  • Tower of Babel
  • A Choice of Futures (Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation #1)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Live by the Code
  • Uncertain Logic (Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation #3)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Homecoming (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming #1)
  • Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War
  • Atonement (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Long Mirage
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Patterns of Interference
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #2)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Ascendance (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
Andy Mangels is an American science fiction author who has written novels, comics, and magazine articles, and produced DVD collections, mostly focusing on media in popular culture. As an openly-gay man, he has been a longtime advocate for greater visibility of gay and lesbian characters in various media, especially comics, including the coordination and moderation of the annual "Gays in Comics" pa ...more

Star Trek: Enterprise (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Broken Bow (Star Trek: Enterprise #1)
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • What Price Honor? (Star Trek: Enterprise #4)
  • Surak's Soul (Star Trek: Enterprise #5)
  • The Expanse (Star Trek: Enterprise #6)
  • Daedalus (Star Trek: Enterprise #7)
  • Daedalus's Children (Star Trek: Enterprise #8)
  • Rosetta (Star Trek: Enterprise #9)
  • Last Full Measure (Star Trek: Enterprise #10)