Start by marking “Vlk a holubica” as Want to Read:
Vlk a holubica

Vlk a holubica

Keď krutí Normani napadnú v 12. storočí Anglicko, pôvabná Aislinn sa stáva svedkom vraždenia, ktorému padne za obeť aj jej otec. Wulfgar, nový vládca na hrade Darkenwald, si vyberie Aislinn za svoju otrokyňu. Hoci dievčina nenávidí cudzích dobyvateľov a všemožne sa snaží pomôcť svojmu ľudu, v jej srdci začína nebadane klíčiť láska k Wulfgarovi. Víťazný veliteľ musí priznať ...more
Published 1999 by Ikar (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Vlk a holubica, please sign up.
megarg I read this, on the side, when I was in college studying English Lit. This was about as sizzley as it got back then and compared to most written then…moreI read this, on the side, when I was in college studying English Lit. This was about as sizzley as it got back then and compared to most written then I was totally stunned with the sizzle. If there were some written with more sex- I didn't see or hear about it and in PSU English Lit I would have. I guess you could say this was the beginning of sizzle!(less)

Misfit
Appalling! The worst medieval romance I have ever read. The Wolf and the Dove starts in 1066 as William has invaded England and the conquering Normans take control of the Saxons and their lands. I'd go into the plot in detail, but so many other reviewers have already done so I don't see the need to rehash it again. What I want to address are the many many things I found wrong with this book,

* I'm not a history major but I thought that after conquering England William inter-married the Norman an
KatLynne
3/6/2013 - Re-read with my local book group

The Wolf and the Dove is Kathleen Woodiwiss’s second novel written. It’s a rather lengthy Viking Historical with over 500 pages, all of which I devoured as I enjoyed a re-read with my local book peeps. While I was happy to find it’s still among my all time favorites, I realize this book may not work for others.

Woodiwiss is well known for taking the romance genre into the bedroom in 1972. Still you will not find explicit sex scenes. The Wolf and the Dov
Karla
Ever read a book where you wished you could rescue a character and give them the story that their awesomeness deserves? That was the case with Wulfgar in this meandering mess of a medieval.

Poor Wulfie...my poor, noble alpha Wulfie. Worse heroes like rape-ape Garth McClellan (Savage Surrender) got a rollicking joyride that never let up on the thrills and derring-do, and the cipher Giles St. Talvert (The Last Carnival) is in a romance so well-executed with nary a word wasted that it continues to b
Inara
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of historical romance
Title in German:
Der Wolf und die Taube

This was the first book I ever read by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss and its still my most loved one. The story between Aislinn the daughter of a Saxon baron and Wulfgar a Norman and how they came to love each other in a time of war, conquest and upheaval makes me still sighing happily and my eyes suspiciously bright. Wulgar is my epitome of a noble knight, kind and strong, tender and yet a great warrior and I almost fell instantly in love with him at the age of 17
Christine
I think there is a point in most women's lives where they have read trashy romance novels. For me, it was my junior and senior years in high school and my freshmen year of college. I had a friend in high school who actually had to hide such books in her underwear drawer. Her mother would've flipped out. We pretty much read them because of the trashy romance novel sex scenes. Except for the Guardian Angel. He read Harlequin Romances; I'm not sure why.

And then.

And then I read one too many where th
Kerrie
Feb 01, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I was told on Very Good Authority to simply throw in the towel and bail because this book is a big buttload of Nothing Happening. My valiant completist side was being sorely tested by pg. 136 when I quit. Aislinn was bipolar, giggling while tasting the rain right after being dour and bitchy. It was as though Woodiwiss had created a coy, disarming, precious character and then threw her into a plot that required conflict, hatred, and some STRENGTH. Aislinn had none. We only knew that Aislinn was ( ...more
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
A stroll down memory-lane via a Buddy-read of Andrea CP and Vivacious Vivian.
Ginnie Leiner
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best bodice rippers I ever read as a young impressionable woman!
Ingela Hyatt
She was the daughter of the lord of Darkenwald, proud, wise, and uncommonly beautiful, but now Aislinn is but a slave to the conquering Normans, a plaything for the man who killed her father. Sitting in the hall with rope tied about her neck and forced at the feet of her captor, she watches helplessly as the Normans ransack her home and abuse her mother. But she will have her revenge—no Norman will ever conquer her, nor will she ever give up the only home she has ever known.

Born as a bastard an
Vivian
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-hist
My rating remains unchanged after this reread. I first read it when I was approx. eleven years old. While I like the medieval period enormously, the Norman invasion and the shifting politics, I still have parts of the story that don't quite work for me.

Aislinn is the daughter, only child, of the Lord of Darkenwald when Norman invaders take over, killing her father, and raping her. Yes, this is an old school bodice ripper, so it is problematic in many ways by today's standards. You could have ma
Pamela(AllHoney)
There was something about this one that keeps me coming back and rereading it over and over again. The story of a dove taming the big, bad wolf.

William, the Conqueror, has invaded England to claim his throne. A group of men are sent to Darkenwald to secure the land for Wulfgar. But instead of negotiating for a peaceful solution, Ragnor incites a battle. Aislinn's father and many others are killed and the rest taken prisoner as slaves.

I've just did a re-read of this book for a group challenge an
Tutti Dolci
This one had so much potential for greatness, but it dragged on for what seemed like FOREVER, going from one conflict to another and another. And in the end, the main/original conflict was resolved almost too easily and presented like a gift with a nice little bow which (after the long, drawn out story) felt unrealistic and hastily put together merely because the story had to end. The way I see it, the story was unnecessarily lengthy and a lot the word count could have been better used to create ...more
Ivie ✩Born to Magic-Forced to Muggle✩
This has got to be the WORST HISTORICAL ROMANCE I HAVE EVER ATTEMPTED TO READ!

Argh! The conversation was so forced, it was like watching an old play, with, I shit you not a proper damsel in distress. And he is the classic mustache twisting villain.

The author has proven that she has the uncanny ability to overstate the obvious...

Example: "Join me and we shall dine, so we quench our hunger!"

Really, you're hungry? OH MY GOD!!!! I thought you want to eat for a completely different reason.....

She t
Errolyn
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, romance
This was one of the first real romance novels I have every read---and I did it when I was in the 5th grade(hope my mother does not see this). But yes, my mother's friend gave her a bunch of books that she did not know what to do with anymore(they belonged to her mother who just died). Knowing that I was a serious books worm, my mother passed them to me.

Amoung them was this book, which was so old you could crush the pages into dust jusy by touching them. But I started reading it and loved it! I l
♥Aicha~high~on~books♥
What a disappointment!
This book came so highly recommended and I was so excited to finally get on with it... but what a waste.
The Heroine, supposedly a spitfire, acts like a complete sissy in front of the "enemy" - The hero.
Just 25 pages into the book and the "Hero" (who is indirectly responsible for the heroine's father's death as well as that of several of the her country men)is getting glances from the the heroine with "something akin to tenderness" in them ?!!! Really!? And he is the same ma
Kari Kaz
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mediev-viking
This was my first Woodiwiss book. I had a lot of expectations since this is a classic 70s romance (which I think everyone has read at some point). It was very well-written, the dialogue was very "medieval" and you feel like you're right there in the middle of the story. At times I found it very long, like the author could've chopped off 150 pages and it wouldn't have made a difference. Wulfgar, the hero, is very "medievally" barbaric but I found him oddly attractive :). Aislinn was a bit of a wu ...more
Badseedgirl

Kidnapping
Swordfight
Death
Happily Ever After

And yet sometimes I want to read stuff like this anyway.
Gina Conkle
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
If Dream of Me by Josie Litton is #1 on my keeper shelf, Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwiss is #2. I've read this book so many times, I can't even recall the number.

AD 1066 and William the Conqueror defeats the Saxons. One Saxon maid, Aislinn, tried to care for her Norman dominated keep. Her father's dead and her mother's gone mad, and in rides Wulfgar. The Conqueror gave this Norman warrior the prize of Darkenwald and all that's in it.

Wulfgar yields no soft spot for women, but he wants or
Lili
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a long, long, loooong book.
Forget about the raping and the constant fondling of every woman in the story, it was BORING as hell!
The writing wasn't very good and some of the words the author used to set the story in the 1060's or whenever it was set weren't really doing it for me.
The characters... well... I just didn't like them!, Aislinn came off as a bipolar girl who's temper went off at the silliest things from guys but then she went totally doormat when it was another woman doing her
Susan (the other Susan)
I don't remember enough to review Woodiwiss' bodice rippers individually. Looking back through the fog of time and cheap 1970s weed, I consider her books my Pre-Rogers (Rosemary ) romances. I'll bet I adored The Wolf and the Dove , though, because I loved me some mean medieval heroes. For some reason, the Norman Conquest seemed like an excellent excuse for snarling alphas to behave like randy wolverines without troubling my newly emerging feminist sensibilities.
Lisazj1
Good grief, at some of hese reviews. O.O Everyone is, of course, entitled to their own opinion. Yes, there is a great deal in this story I could be offended by, if I chose to be. But it's fiction, set in a time when many, many things then were completely unacceptable, yet people had to live with it. If you take this for what it is, it was still worth my time reading, and I still enjoyed it. Perhaps not as much as my sixteen year-old self did, LOL. But well enough to be entertained. : )
Ivy H
I loved this novel. Wulfgar was a sexy brute of a man and sweet fiesty Aislinn was his ideal lover. Ragnor, the evil villain did get a deserved death. I can't recall all the details because I read this years ago but I do remember that I loved this story.
Ceki
Nov 15, 2017 marked it as to-avoid  ·  review of another edition
Not safe: (view spoiler)
Katherine
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of Kathleen Woodiwiss that I read, the first being The Flame and the Flower. I didn't enjoy the characterization of the hero in that book very much, so, while this book was highly recommended, I didn't expect much of this book. This book is also quite long, around 500 pages. I also prefer fast paced, happy books - explains why I'm such a sucker for Julie Garwood, Lisa Kleypas and so on. But I must say, I was pleasantly surprised with the book and enjoyed reading it. Thoug ...more
Barbara ★
A Saxon noblewoman, Aislinn, was turned to slave and mistress (read harlot) when Norman's invaded and overcame the Saxon homestead. Wulfgar used her as a slave but treated her somewhat kindly in bedroom matters. I honestly don't see how the vanguished can turn around and love the man responsible for raping and degrading her before her people. Sure it ends in marriage but how do you get over the grievous things done to you?

This is a 500 page book with a story that could have easily been told in 3
Allison (The Allure of Books)
I can see, having finished this, why it is considered a classic of historical romance. I hate reading stories about rape-HATE!-but for some reason, I was drawn to the characters in this story anyway. And, at the end, it turns out she was never really raped at all, so I'm glad i didn't put it down at the beginning.

I loved the characters, and I thought Wolfgar's character development was pretty believable, it took him a long time to give in to his feelings.

I definitely recommend this for historica
Sbell
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a reread of a book that was
read a long time ago!! I love, loved
it then and my rating is based on
that.

After rereading this, I do realize
that it does tend to be a little slow.
BUT, what I loved best was Aislinn
and Wulfgar. He took his time admitting
his feelings for Aislinn, and she
knew she wanted him all along.

This was a sweet journey and I still
consider it one of my favorites.
(after the reread, and some years
have passed-I'd probably rate
a 3) But my original love for this
book makes my 5
Kathie (katmom)
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books-ever
I read this in my teens (a VERY long time ago)...it is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES...I re-read it every couple of years...
Johanna
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Wolf and the Dove
by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Genre: Historical Romance

Likes a swift and bitter wind, Wulfgar, "the Iron Wolf of Normandy," sweeps down from the North at the head of an invincible army to claim the land and people of Darkenwald. But proud and beautiful Aislinn will never grovel before the fearsome invader.

A princess of Saxon blood, Aislinn burns with hatred for the mighty Norman knight who has destroyed her home. And she plots her revenge -- even as she submits to her enemy's pass

• Lady Vixen (Louisiana, #5)
  • Wicked Loving Lies (Brandon-Morgan #6)
  • The Conqueror (deWarenne Dynasty, #1)
  • Moonstruck Madness (Dominick, #1)
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • Island Flame (Pirates, #1)
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • Love's Tender Fury (Marietta Danver Trilogy, #1)
  • Love, Cherish Me (Aguilar's Fate, #1)
  • The Silver Devil
  • Fires of Winter (Haardrad Viking Family, #1)
  • Stormfire
  • In the Shadow of Midnight (Robin Hood, #2)
  • The Hawk and the Dove
  • Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2)
  • Savage Surrender
  • Gabriel's Bride
  • The Dragon Lord
Kathleen Erin Hogg was born on June 3, 1939, in Alexandria, Louisiana, she was the youngest of eight siblings by Gladys (Coker) and Charles Wingrove Hogg, a disabled World War I veteran. She long relished creating original narratives, and by age 6 was telling herself stories at night to help herself fall asleep. At age 16, she met U.S. Air Force Second Lieutenant Ross Eugene Woodiwiss at a dance, ...more
“You are stingy with our words," she accused, then laughed gayly as she swept around, tossing over her shoulder a roguish look that drew the length of him. "But I am more generous, my lord. You are indeed a fine sight."
-Aislinn”
29 likes
“Do I perceive a softening in your heart for me, damoiselle?" He laughed at her scowl. "Beware maid. I will tell you true. After you will come another and then another. There are no strings that can tether me to any woman. So guard your heart."
"My lord, you greatly exaggerate your appeal," she replied indignantly. "If I fell anything for you, 'tis hatred. You are the enemy and you are to be despised as such."
"Indeed?" He smiled slowly into her eyes.
"Then tell me, damoiselle, do you always kiss the enemy so warmly?”
18 likes