Start by marking “Alaina Claiborne (British Agent Novel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alaina Claiborne (British Agent Novel, #1)

Alaina Claiborne (British Agent #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
How far would you go to avenge your family and save the one you love?

In nineteenth-century England, Alaina Claiborne had a loving family, a cherished friend, and devoted servants. She spent her days riding across the grassy hills of the English countryside, joyful and at peace.

Then tragedy strikes and her world is forever changed. Searching for those responsible is her onl
Paperback, First Edition, 306 pages
Published January 22nd 2012

To ask other readers questions about Alaina Claiborne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alaina Claiborne

Margitte
Alaina Clairborne is young, a pre-teen Lady in the British countryside, when tragedy strikes and she is adopted by her aunt Charlotte and uncle Sebastiaan. Due to the traumatic experience that would change her life forever she suffers some memory loss. For ten years she was enjoying the friendship and support of her adopted parents, living an uncomplicated life breeding her own roses and riding horses at high speed, when Lord Tristan Sheffield appeared in her life. For her it was a chance encoun ...more
Mary
After being offered an opportunity to listen to Alaina Claiborne on Audible, I jumped at the chance. MK McClintock has been on my radar ever since discovering her British Agent series on Goodreads. I recently won a copy of another McClintock title, Clayton's Honor, but have not read it yet. I was happy to start here. The synopsis to all of her books sound so appealing and my love for historical fiction drew me in. So now that I've finished my listen, what did I think? Wow! The beginning is immed ...more
Jeri
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I explore new genre's I was pleasantly surprised to find this little gem. This story was a complex historical mystery with some lovely romance. We meet Alaina after she witnesses the death of her parents. In comes Lord Sheffield ten years later and the mystery begins to unravel. Alaina is a wonderfully written character with emotions that are realistic, which allows you to immerse yourself into the story. The plot is full of action and is perfectly paced, which makes you not want to put it do ...more
Miriam
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for solving a mystery and a cute lovestory.
Before I start with this review, I need to add that I'm not a huge lover of historical fiction. In fact, I haven't read more than maybe one or two books of this genre - so while reading my opinion, please keep that in mind. I'm probably not the right person to tell you whether or whether not something is realistically in this book, and I'm also not able at all to compare it to anything existing in this genre.

But even though I am not a person who reads a lot of books like this, I have to say that
Amy R
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this story, I wasn't so sure I wanted to read it because the beginning was so sad. Opening up with such a tragedy was hard for me to overcome, but I understand that it really set the story up and was necessary. I am a wimp when reading books with sad scenes in them so I almost put it down, but figured I had to keep going to get to the heart of the story. I am sure glad I kept reading. I really enjoyed Alaina Claiborne!

Alaina experienced tragedy when she was a little
Books Mom
With a clever mix of mystery, history and romance, MK McClintock has forged a very good beginning to what promises to be an entertaining series.

Tristan and Alaina have similar goals: find out who killed her parents and best friend and his father. Presumably the same perpetrator. To this end, Tristan befriends Alaina, and so is there when things begin to happen again in an apparent effort to silence her before she can recall the events the day her family was murdered.

With a great cast of characte
Stephanie
I was really torn with writing this review because I normally don’t read in this genre and I do not consider this story historical fiction. More like a period romance and as a rule, I generally do not read/review romance for various reasons. However, when I read the premise and saw the layout of the book, my attention was captured.

When I began to read this story I was blown away by the beginning! A girl witnessing her parent’s murder. What a way to start a story. Powerful. I give the author a hi
Deborah
Readers of historical fiction and romance will absolutely eat up this first book in the Alaina Claiborne British Agent novels! It is beautifully written, intriguing, romantic and heat wrenching. The historical content is worked in well, but it's the conversational content that makes it a magical and rewarding read. MK McClintock is one to really be watching on the historical romance scene!

This one is a winner.

It broke my heart several times, the poignant moments she describes are so real.

The pr
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Looking for an entertaining historical read that’s not your typical? I recommend giving Alaina Claiborne a try.

I was ready to review this as soon as I saw the words “British Agent”. Admit it, that sounds very James Bond, doesn’t it? And, perhaps our hero, Tristan, doesn’t have all the 007 trappings, but he still makes a fine spy. Of course, he doesn’t count on falling in love with Alaina, and that changes everything. The good news is, she is the perfect match for him.

Ms. McClintock does a fine j
Susan Gorman
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a ten year old child, Alaina Claiborne witnessed the death of her best friend and the murder of her parents. These images resurface to haunt her 10 years later.

Alaina is being raised on her family's estate by her Aunt and Uncle. She enjoys the family's gardens, greenhouse and rides her horse throughout the countryside. She meets her new neighboor Tristan Sheffield while riding.

The author uses this chance encounter to begin the present day story. Alaina and Tristan are two strong willed charac
Victoria Brinius
All I can say is WOW! This is a British Agent Novel. I thought it would be like Sherlock Holmes. Boy was I wrong. This book was so much better. Alaina is a young girl who is young, sweet and Innocent. Her family loves her and she has a best friend that she intends to be best friends with for the rest of her life.
When tragedy strikes, she is forced to go after those responsible. She yearns to set things right, but at the same time she stays close to her new home with her aunt and uncle. She alwa
Anne Yedlin
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those who love historical romance, you will absolutely find this particular read to be amazing!

The characters in this book flow beautifully together! Alaina witnesses the tragic death of her parents and wants revenge on the people responsible. Finding a man that will help aid in her search she also finds love in the process.

You will find a combination of mystery and betrayal. Lots of secrets! Full of heart wrenching loss and many obstacles throughout, Alaine finds strength and everything she
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
The first thing that inspired my interest to read this book is the first name, Alaina. It's not one that I see often. It happens to be the first name of my sister-in-law who died several years ago. I also love historical romance.

Alaina is an orphan raised by her aunt and uncle. She was in a carriage that overturned while being chased by bandits. She witnessed the murder of her parents and lost her best friend in the tragic event.

Ten years have passed and Alaina meets her new neighbor, his name i
Lisa
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to mark this between 3 and 4 stars ... but I opted for the 4 star

This is a clean book, in my opinion ... there are romantic moments but they are clean and more suggestive than descriptive!
The book starts out in October 1880 (the main character is 10 yrs old) but next thing it's says it's 10 yrs later summer 1889 (our main character is now 20) ...correct me if I am wrong but that is NOT 10 yrs (this was very confusing and I reread a couple times to make sure I was getting it rig
Mihaela Day
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alaina Claiborne by MK McClintock eBook did not disappoint me! I literally have read the entire book in one afternoon. This book will give you a great plot, good suspense, charismatic characters, mystery and romance…The story takes place in nineteenth-century England, where Alaina Claiborne meets Tristan right after tragedy changes her life forever. This is their story, a story of love being the greatest weapon against evil…

The author will take you on the adventure of a lifetime, the characters
 Sandra
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book quickly when I first got it. I just finished it more slowly now. I really enjoyed this book on so many levels. The characters are strongly written and the plot sped by at warp speed. I really hated to put it down and it is seldom I can say that. Now I absolutely have to get BLACKWOOD CROSSING, the next in this series. If it is as well written I am really in for a treat.
Why don' you give it a try?
Literary  Chanteuse
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Loved this book! Full of twists and turns, adventure, romance, mystery... so many elements that easily worked well together. Definitely surpassed my expectation with a few surprises. Intriguing setting with equally intriguing characters and plot. I'm a new fan of this author!
Amy
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alaina Claiborne is an entertaining read. It is full of history, adventure, mystery, suspense and romance. I look forward to book 2 of this series. Recommended.
RoloPoloBookBlog
Alaina Claiborne by MK McClintock
Book #1: British Agent Novel Series
Source: Purchase
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Review:

Alaina Claiborne is my first MK McClintock read and I have to say, I am quite taken with this author. This read has all of the things I love in an historical: a brave, determined and well-ahead-of-her time heroine, a wonderful setting, an excellent plot and, a hero who is just as good as he is bad. Here’s the skinny:

Alaina: Though she seemingly has the perfect life, Alaina is haunt
The Lit Bitch
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I literally read this book in a day. I loved the setting and the main characters. Tristan was a courageous and heroic love interest and I adored how much he loved Alaina and that he was willing to do anything to keep her safe.

Alaina was also a worthy heroine. She was strong and equally as courageous as strong in her own way but she was also willing to submit to Tristan’s better judgement in some cases which I also liked.

The story was very strong in the beginning, but somewhere around 60% through
Donna McBroom-Theriot
Sometimes I think it was God's little joke to plunk me down in the middle of, well, today, when I love the past so much. Maybe it was because I would have been the lady's maid rather than the Lady herself, and ended up working in a bawdy tavern.

It's been a while since I've been so enthralled with a series, so much so, that I am on pins and needles waiting for the next book. ALAINA CLAIBORNE AND BLACKWOOD CROSSING are part mystery and part romance, something not every author can intertwine succes
Claire
Alaina Claibourne starts with the murder of the main characters parents and never quite rises to match it's opening. Set ten years after Alaina's parents were shot in Ireland, the titular character is growing up on her estate with her aunt and uncle. Plotting vengeance on those responsible for her parents deaths and shy of social situations, she lives a reasonably quiet life until a stranger buys the estate next door. Her new neighbour Tristan is very attractive and she soon falls for him, howev ...more
Saarah Niña
This wasn't the book for me.

I liked the premise of the book: how love eradicates the thirst for vengeance (kind of.) Equally, I liked the storyline, that of a young woman, Alaina, facing huge losses in her life which compel her to take action against the murderers involved in the deaths. It wouldn't be difficult for her to find them had she not been afraid to recount the terrible event. It is only until she meets, a secret agent, Tristan, that she begins to speak of her memories and her vengefu
Cheryl (I Heart Fictional People)
This review can also be seen on my blog I Heart Fictional People

In Alaina Claiborne, the first book in the British Agent Novels series, by M.K. McClintock, the setting is nineteenth-century England. Alaina’s life is forever changed at the age of ten. Years later, she is still dealing with the tragedy and often suffers from nightmares about that night. She needs to find the people responsible and finally know the truth. Then she meets Tristan. Not only are they instantly drawn to each other and t
Nicole Laverdure
Wow! what a great mystery romance! I really enjoyed this book ALAINA CLAIBORN, very well written by M.K. McClintock. It was a quick read, a real page turner, a love story with a little suspense. Perfect book for me! I didn't know, who the murderer was, until the end, so, I kept reading all day to finish the book! This is the first book that I read by this author and it won’t be the last one. An enjoyable historical romantic mystery with a great twist at the end! Ms. McClintock is a very descript ...more
One-Click
Audiobook - Narration, Nicky Baker - Really lovely narration. British accents all around! Love it.

This is a mystery as much as a romance. Alaina's parents are murdered and best friend killed when she is 10, but she is spared due to the heroics of her friend but at the cost of his own life. The tragedy causes nightmares for young Alaina which leads to medical treatment, sedation and eventually suppression of what happened. (there's a little more to it, but you need to read it!)

10 years later, Al
Kristy McCaffrey
Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review.

Alaina Claiborne is a strong-willed and likeable heroine, growing up in the English countryside with her aunt and uncle after witnessing the murder of her parents and a family friend when she was young. The details of that event, however, have been buried in her mind. When she meets her new neighbor, Tristan Sheffield, the attraction is immediate. Tristan is the British Agent of the title and is in search of the man who not only kille
Lori
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Overall an enjoyable and entertaining story.

A historical romance with British Agents, mystery, suspense, murder and family secrets.

Alaina and Tristan were both great characters. Really liked Tristan's friends and fellow agents Devon, Charles and Derek. Sometimes predictable, but there are plenty of twists and turns in the story to keep it interesting and entertaining.

While I enjoyed the book on the whole, it is quite irritating to have the "mastermind" villain in the story be someone who was n
Pamela Mclaren
This was a little too romance for me but it certainly did have plenty of action -- which starts in the late 19th century with a family at a ball. A young girl, her childhood friend and her parents have enjoyed the ball and are leaving when their carriage is chased by thugs. The driver loses control, the carriage goes over the side of a hill and as it rolls, the girl, Alaina, is thrown out. She is hidden from the thugs who find the childhood friend dead and kill the parents.

The action picks up 1
Rose
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. McClintock delivers a mystery packed with action and sprinkles of history. And to add icing to a masterpiece, a lovely romance can be found at the center of Alaina Claiborne's story. The story began with a bang, and it exploded with enough action and intrigue to keep me guessing and scrambling to uncover and figure out the mystery's clues. I fell in love with the characters the moment they graced the pages with their presence. Both Alaina and Tristan were very confident and strong people, ev ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Making Connections: 1030. ALAINA CLAIBORNE by M.K. McClintock 9 24 May 06, 2013 08:06AM
Making Connections: 781. ALAINA CLAIRBORNE by M.K. McClintock 7 87 Mar 04, 2013 05:48AM
  • Daisy: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
  • Escucha Means Listen
  • Gracier
  • Take My Heart
  • BORN IN VENGEANCE (Dacian Legends, #1)
  • Heart of the Ocean
  • A Hard Act to Follow
  • Reaper's Novice (Soul Collector, #1)
  • Bring Down the Furies (A Quint Mitchell Mystery #2)
  • The Lone Star Lonely Hearts Club (Debutante Dropout, #3)
  • Dying to Run
  • Two Equals (Two Halves, #2)
  • Rise of the Fire Tamer (The Wordwick Games, #1)
  • Daffodils (The Katherine Wheel, #1)
  • Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga #1)
  • The Queen's Dwarf
  • A Divided Inheritance
  • The Forgotten Queen (Tudor Court #4)
MK McClintock is the award-winning author of several books and short stories, including the popular "Montana Gallagher" series, the "Crooked Creek" series set in post-Civil War Montana, and the highly-acclaimed "British Agent" novels. She spins tales of romance, adventure, and mystery set in the bygone times. She enjoys a quiet life in the Rocky Mountains.

Learn more about MK by visiting her websit
More about M.K. McClintock...

British Agent (3 books)
  • Blackwood Crossing (British Agent, #2)
  • Clayton's Honor (British Agent, #3)