Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist #4)

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  9,656 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
Accompanied by their bodyguard, Alex Louis Armstrong, our heroes seek out their closest childhood friend, Winry Rockbell, to fix their battered "auto-mail" bodyparts. Soon their quest for the Philosopher's Stone takes them to the great central library, where the Stone's formula may be hidden...if the mysterious figure named Lust doesn't get there first! But the secret of t ...more
Published February 2006 by Chuang Yi Publishing (first published January 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4

Mal
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

it's a terrible day for rain.

Kogiopsis
This is at once both my favorite volume and one I can't stand. A testimony to the writing and characterization, I suppose, but that doesn't mean I don't quietly resent it.

(view spoiler)
Jedi JC Daquis
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I was very much ready to give this volume 3 or 4 stars, because seriously, Al is being such a huge metal jack*ss for believing what the enemy says, but the emotional buildup that leads to that end was so much for me.

Damn you Arakawa for being a great writer!
daisy
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maes 😭
Artemy
May 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Ah, and here's the volume where the typical Japanese manga weirdness starts to show. There's a creepy guy who's obsessed with mini-skirts and who wants to hire only women in his military to make it his personal harem (and that's almost a direct quote). There's another creepy guy who can't shut up about his daughter and his family, and who basically kidnaps one of the female characters and makes her live at his home. And finally, there's the side-story about another character who adopts a puppy a ...more
Grace
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manga
I am literally an emotional wreck right now. This volume has all the feels, so prepare with some tissues!!! A great, heart wrenching volume with this one 😭😭😭
Caroline
WELL this volume made me sad oh wow! There is a lot of stuff that happens in this one and I have to say I was really surprised and upset by some of it :(( the art is absolutely awesome- seriously, the way the panelling is used in certain important moments is clever and helps those scenes to REALLY pack a punch. I'm so invested in this series and the characters now!!
Radwa
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hughes! :'(

It seems that whenever the brothers get close to solving something, something happens that sends them to square one. Of course, this should happen, or how else can the manga continue. I absolutely loved the extra omakes at the end of this volume. Also, this manga is making me sympathize with some of the bad guys. good job on the characterization and story building.

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Maes <3

and on a brighter note, Black Hayate!
Marzy Nighthunter
Mary
This volume was so good (Maes Hughes!! And I thought I was prepared after what happened with Nina and Alexander), and the wait for volume 5 from my library was so long that I gave up and watched the anime (Brotherhood, not the first version)....and now I have no way to coherently speak about this series, I love it so much. The family relationship! Ed and his absolute devotion to getting Al his body back! Al and his conviction that he won't let others suffer in his quest to get back to normal! Co ...more
King Haddock
Aleksandra
I really like it so far, and I could've rate it 5/5, but I'm anxious and I'd prefer to leave the 5 star rating for the toms that will blow me out of my socks.
Amanda Setasha Hall
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zzz-2017, manga
THIS VOLUME WILL BREAK YOUR HEART. Especially if you've seen the show. I thought this point was actually further into the story, but I was mistaken.
Ishraq
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, owned

I'm deeply hooked into this series now and things are getting pretty much emotional very fast!
Tehanu
And this is where my heart began to break.
Devan, Sarcasm Expert
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Celine
Oh my god. This one won me over. There is this one heartbreaking scene in this manga - I'm sure other readers will know what I'm talking about - that is just so good. Absolutely fantastic panelling. I'm glad we get to see some more brother dynamics in this volume.
Lizet
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2016
Hum. No me esperaba sentir tantas cosas con este volumen. Me agarraron totalmente desprevenida.

Maria Kaye
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
For some reason I've always felt bad when the slicer brothers died :/
Anita Reads
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So close to a 5 star read. Can't wait to find out what will happen next.
krad

FreeFD
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, fantasy
Getting more and more exciting. Who noticed the part where Ed says to Al:
"We fought for who will marry Winry, and I won, but get rejected." It was my favorite quote.))
Janeen-san
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY!!!!! I have at last succeeded at getting my hands (alas, no auto-mail) on the 4th volume of Fullmetal Alchemist! I'm so happy! I swept through this very awesome volume in one day!!!
Now #SPOILER# when Hughes died in the tv series, I cried my eyes out, something I'd never thought I'd do. Ever. BUT I did! Ahhhhh I miss him. Rest in piece Mr Awesomness :(
But when I came across the scene of his death in the manga...I CRIED! Not as much as I did when I saw it on TV, but my cheeks ended up ver
Mike
4.5/5

I'm still very much enjoying this series, and this is probably my favorite volume so far. It's odd - there's very little action in this volume, but the overall plot is very engaging. I'm still kind of shocked that something this subtle and character-oriented is so widely popular, especially considering the other manga that gets well-known. But maybe people are just sensing quality. Arakawa is, after all, a supremely good author. Her eye for dialogue and character interactions is quite remar
Natália
TOOOODAAAAAASSSS AAASSS EEEEEsSSTREEEELASSSSSSSSSSSSSS <3 <3 <3 <3 COMO um mangá com 200 e poucas páginas consegue fazer a gente ter tantos sentimentos diferentes? É simplesmente maravilhoso dona Hiromu *aplaude de pé* #jáqueroopróximovolume ;-;
Kellie
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As expected, this volume was so good!
Esma Tezgi
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Ben daha ne olduğunu anlamadan bu sayılar birer birer bitiyor, çok hızlı ilerliyor gerçekten. Can sıkıntısına birebir, okuması da oldukça keyifli bir manga serisi.
Emma Thompson
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
****SPOILERS****

(Chapters 13-16) Wow, this volume really started off! The soul armor that Ed was fighting with got killed by Envy. Also Envy and Lust started attacking Ed while his autodial arm broke! Al got really convinced that he was just made up by Al. I feel bad for Al because he's young and just doesn't know what to think. Ed and Winry managed to knock some sense into Al and they made up. Winry though, was called in to fix Ed, and boy was she mad! Colonel Mustang and Lieutenant Colonel Hug
Bryan
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Some feels in this volume! I was pleasantly surprised at some moments during volume four that convinced me that Arakawa can hit both ends of the spectrum. There are many instances of the expected over the top/cheesy humor that was also prevalent in Dragon Ball (the running gag about Edward's height for instance, and the way he interacts with Winry), but there are also some balancing scenes of genuine emotional effect. Nice to see.

While I'm mentioning the humor in the series, I wanted to mention
  • Bleach, Volume 13
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Volume 11
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 12
  • Death Note, Vol. 10: Deletion (Death Note, #10)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 9 (D.Gray-man, #9)

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and du
More about Hiromu Arakawa

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #10)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
“Roy: "Looks like it's starting to rain"

Riza: "But..It's not raining..."

Roy: "Yes it is. This is the rain.”
156 likes