Start by marking “Call of the Sea” as Want to Read:

(Call of the Sea #1)

Elysandra Winters has always yearned for a life of adventure on the rolling seas and is willing to do whatever it takes to fulfill her dream. When her Privateer father continually refuses to allow his only daughter to sail, Ellie defies him, disguises herself as a boy, and goes in search of a captain who will give her a chance to prove her worth. Thanks to the cursed selki ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 323 pages
Published June 21st 2012 by Inkspell Publishing (first published June 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Call of the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call of the Sea

Jill

Daniel O’Roarke is a selkie, half-human half-seal. Kicked out of home by his father when he was ten, Daniel has spent the last three years in his selkie form. Tired and alone, and yearning to embrace his humanity again, Daniel applies for a job on board Captain Winters' ship the Siren's Call.

For Elysandra (Ellie), the ten year-old daughter of Captain Winters, her pull to the sea is so strong that she will defy her father to hide on board his ship. Swimming out to the ship at anchor, sh
Terri Rochenski
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a pleasure to read this without a week or so between chapters! Yes, I was blessed to be an early beta reader. I saw CotS in the rough. Not that it was really rough to begin with - unpolished if you will. ;)

Yummies: I thought I was caught up in the story before! The simplicity of Ms. Hart's writing makes for a super rich but easy read. No paragraph upon paragraph of exposition. Pure writing at its best - character, tension, & action. So, so good.
And what characters they are! Ellie is a s
Stephanie Lawton
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Equal parts romance and adventure, CALL OF THE SEA is 100% kick-ass! As a reader who appreciates strong female characters, I instantly fell in love with Ellie's determination and tomboy stubbornness, as well as her vulnerabilities--especially her weak spot for her family.

CALL is well-plotted, perfectly paced and the voices are spot-on. All the historical details ring true, yet the story is completely accessible to a modern audience. And although the story centers on the pirating life, there's n
Sandra "Jeanz"
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
BLURB from Goodreads

Thanks to the cursed selkie blood coursing through his veins, Daniel O'Rourke needs the sea to survive. After giving up on his human
Jane
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This not my usual type but that cover is gorgeous and I just HAD to read it. When there was a posting for ARC reviews I jumped at the chance and was lucky enough that Rebecca sent me a copy.

This book was everything I don't usually like, it was written in third person and it was set back in the 1600's.However I LOVED IT!! I fell in love with Elysandra, I can't imagine what it would be like to be a young woman who wanted to follow her dreams only to have your sex dictate what you can do. She was
Christine Garrity
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While I am still in the process of reading the final version (my sister happens to be the author - so I may be a little bias) - she had me read it prior to sending it in for publication. I was hooked immediately. Normally these types of books are not to my liking - I prefer Stephen King, Dean Koontz and other "horror" type books. I just would like to say "congrats" to my "big sis" and to let everyone know that this is a wonderful, exciting read!!
Julie Reece
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So what did I think? Awesome. This book made me smile. Ms. Hart expertly combines all the best ingredients for an engaging story with a satisfying end, (though I wanted more). First, the headstrong, independent heroine, Ellie, who knows who she is, wants she wants and doesn’t mince words about it. Next is Daniel, our hero. He’s handsome, intelligent and tough, but with a good dose of integrity and a hint of vulnerability to round him out perfectly.

The pair starts out as childhood friends, and w
Vanessa
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One word for this book; WOW!

This was so amazing. It was a very different paranormal romance from all the trends I have been reading. This book gave me some peace and comfort during a dark time during the week. It was truly a remarkable book, I'm glad this book is being published it's a wonderful romance story. The main characters Ellie and Daniel reminded me of Elizabeth Swan and Will turner of Pirates of the Caribbean.

This book is an absolute must read if you are interested in something differ
Rebecca Hart
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it... I love it :)

That is all.
Jenni Arndt
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-own
You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.

Actual rating is 3.5.

I have to be honest here, I went into this not expecting much, that cover was a total turn off for me. I'm still not a fan of the cover, and it's really too bad because I do think that it will be a turn off for potential readers (covers matter!) The story behind this cover was exceptionally good, I'll admit I had a hard time walking away from it to get stuff done around my house. Within these pages is a great paranormal romanc
Pamela
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rating 4.5

At the age of ten, Daniel's father kicks him out after the death of his mother. After three years on his own, he spies Captain Winters' returning home from a stint at sea to celebrate his daughter Ellie's tenth birthday. That only saddens Daniel, wishing that he's had a loving father like Ellie's. So Daniel decides to shed his sealskin and ask Captain Winters for a job on his ship.

Ellie has always wanted to be a privateer like her father. And although Michael Winters knows how his daug
Summer Ross
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ms. Hart wrote a truly engaging tale of a girl named Ellie who is different from most other girls in her time. Ellie transforms into a courageous and independent woman through the course of the novel. The interaction between Ellie and her selkie love interest, Daniel, tangled with revenge and both main characters call of the sea. I truly enjoyed the double play on the idea of the call of the sea and how it can be different for everyone. Ellie’s call came from her desire to be like her father, it ...more
Lisa
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, inkspell

Let me start by saying I love selkies, and pirates are pretty awesome too. So, when I had the opportunity to read a romance between a girl pirate and a male selkie, I could hardly wait. Call of the Sea, by Rebecca Hart, was the romantic adventure I hoped it to be.

Right from the start, the main character, Ellie, got my attention with her headstrong impulsiveness. In a time where women were raised to be chattel, she longed for her independence, and, most of all, to explore the open sea.

But it was
Literary  Chanteuse
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rom-paranormal
What a treasure to be found in this book with pirates, a selkie, adventure and a love story. I could feel the wind on my face and smell the salty sea right from the first page. Elysandra is a strong heroine that keeps you engaged and in anticipation of what she will do next. I really enjoyed this book and could not put it down.
Megan
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
CALL OF THE SEA came recommended by an email I received from the book’s publicist. I had not heard of this book before she reached out and let me know about it, and now I just have to send a big thanks to Kelly for telling me about this. CALL OF THE SEA is one of those low key books that rises up and becomes something more, something almost spectacular, but something about it just fell a little short to me. Nevertheless, I loved this story and can’t wait to read more by Rebecca Hart. I finished ...more
Kristen
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
GENRE: Fantasy
THEME: Selkie
RECEIVED: Received for review for Tour
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
I haven’t read many or enough stories based on the legend of Selkies, but every time I do I always enjoy them. Rebecca Hart brings to life a story about two people who are very different but are brought together by their love of the sea.

Elysandra (Ellie) is the daughter of a Captain; her love of the sea at a young age has made her wish for a life like her fathers. But her parents have di
Sheryl
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Call of the Sea in exchange for my honest review.

Blurb from Goodreads…

Thanks to the cursed selkie blood coursing through his veins
Susan Parkes
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Call of the Sea is an action packed romance that kept me intrigued on how it was going to end. Daniel O'Rourke was thrown out by his father at the age of ten on the death of his mother, the only thing his father gave him was a bag with a seal skin in. His mum used to tell him stories of selkies and after touching the skin he too turns into a selkie. After three years in seal form Daniel wants to go back to human form and get a job and approaches Captain Winters for a job and was told to go back ...more
Regan Walker
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 and 1/2 Stars! Unusual 17th Century Historical Romance on the High Seas—Pirates, Privateers and a Selkie!

Set in the 17th century in England, Gibraltar and on the sea, this is the story of Elysandra (“Ellie”) Winters, the young daughter of a ship’s captain who has always wanted to join her father in his life at sea. Daniel O'Rourke, who lives part of his life in the sea as a selkie, upon seeing the love between the 10 year-old Ellie and her father, decides to take a job with Ellie’s father on h
Sara Miller
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review over on my blog (Pretty Little Book Blog)

One of my favorite mythology stories is the Selkies. You hear about them in a lot of Irish mythology and even in popular fiction (For example in Diana Garbaldon's Outlander Series) from start to finish this book has very picturesque settings and scenes that will stick with you long after you finish the book.

Ellie and Daniel meet under well, not so normal circumstances haha but they don't let
Sharon Hughson
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book gets a solid 3.7 out of 5 stars from me. It was too easy for me to relegate to treadmill time or a chapter when I was stranded away from home to get anything higher.
I don't know much about the selkie mythology, so I was eager to learn more. That didn't really happen in this book. There was an expectation that readers would know why it was considered a curse, how it came about and the like. The actual transformation process was excellently vivid with Hart's writing. I could hear the pop
Erica
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh my golly, I just loved Call of the Sea by Rebecca Hart! What a delightful little gem of a fantasy novel this one was! With her debut novel, Rebecca Hart takes a new look at the myth of the selkie, all wrapped up in a wonderful story of pirates and sailors.

Call of the Sea took a bit to get into. There was a lot of set up and world building going on in the first half of the book. Then the story just took off from there. The story was so intriguing. Call of the Sea is told in dual perspectives
Hannah Courtney
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ellie Winters longs for the sea and would do almost anything to live her life on it, including running away from boarding school and starting a new life as Ellis. Call of the Sea by Rebecca Hart starts out with a sweet and gentle pace, but once Ellie and Daniel collide as adults the story gets rolling. Daniel happens to be a young selkie man with a tragic past who is in love with Ellie. Ellie is a stubborn young woman with a steadfast head on her shoulders that refuses to admit she loves Daniel. ...more
Cecilia Robert
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I'm a fan of stories set at sea, so Call Of The Sea was an enjoyable read for me.

Elysandra is headstrong and impulsive and adventurous. Daniel is patient, adores Elysandra and works for her father. And he is a Selkie. I love Selkies, interesting creatures. It was great reading how they first met, see them fall inlove years later.
I felt that it took long to get to the story's main action, and the ending came too soon. It's a wonderful romantic and adventures story nonetheless.

I like Ms Hart's wr
Jocelyn Adams
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Call of the Sea is a lovely young adult novel starring Ellie and her dream of becoming a privateer on a ship. Love her spunk and her passion and drive for the life she wants at sea. Her relationship with Nelson is great. Love Daniel, sweet and wounded by his past, and the relationship he had with Captain Winters is real and touching. The dialogue was good and the scenery and experiences aboard the ships had me there with them.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves a sweet romance that bloom
Jakki Rybczyk
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jakki by: Rebecca Hart the authoress
This is a great book. Not your typical romance, the heroine is ballsy, and the book even features supernatural old Irish folklore. Very great base and plot. Loved the characters, they experience a myriad of emotions.
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book! Would highly recommend to others - remember reading about selkies when I was a child. This book left me wanting more! What happened after it ended? :-)
Rebecca
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Call of The Sea

I requested and received an ARC copy of “Call of the Sea” through Goodreads.

This romance is a rollicking good time for the reader, and a quick, easy-to-read novel. You have your spunky heroine and chiseled hero. You have the initial antagonism between the two, which, of course, transforms during the course of the novel.

Those are givens. The meat and originality comes in the details. Spunky Ellie (her full name is Elysandra) is a child at the beginning, which I like. I like seeing
Stephanie
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it

Original Post CALL OF THE SEA is Young at Heart and Unsophisticated at Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust7/18/2012

by Rebecca Hart
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Inkspell Publishing
June 21, 2012
Paperback: 336 pages
Kindle: 365 KB/224 pages
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

Katie
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, blog-tour
I must admit, I was very surprised by Call of the Sea - in a good way. I was a bit turned off by the girl on the cover, but the synopsis is what intrigued me the most. A fiery female character is sure to provide loads of entertainment, and then you throw in pirates, selkies, romance, and murder? I'm in! I am glad to say that Rebecca Hart writes an intriguing story; one that draws you in, almost against your will, and keeps you hanging on to the very last word.

Elysandra "Ellie" Winters was a fabu
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
}~>O MERBOOKS: T...: Call of the Sea by Rebecca Hart 5 23 Nov 04, 2012 03:22PM
InkSpell Publishing: Happy Book Birthday to Call of the Sea 2 5 Jun 25, 2012 03:13PM
Q&A with Rebecca ...: Call of the Sea Buzz (links, etc.) 22 20 Jun 08, 2012 10:45AM
Call of the Sea blog Tour June 7th-28th 1 6 Jun 08, 2012 09:37AM
InkSpell Publishing: Links 5 17 May 18, 2012 08:49AM
Q&A with Rebecca ...: Call of the Sea Available for Pre-Order 9 10 Apr 11, 2012 09:05AM
InkSpell Publishing: Cover Reveal (was 2/20) 2 8 Mar 03, 2012 09:26PM
  • Tidal Whispers
  • Surface
  • The Star Child (The Star Child, #1)
  • Castaway Dreams
  • Keowee Valley
  • A Captain and a Corset (Steam Guardians, #2)
  • The Lure of Shapinsay
  • Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright
  • Tales from My Hard Drive
  • Instinct (Holloway Pack, #0.25)
  • The Noble Pirates
  • Once Upon a Time Machine
  • Seaborn (Seaborn Trilogy #2)
  • Crux
  • My Sister Sif
  • Chase Me (Underbelly Chronicles #2)
  • Love's Vengeance
  • Swept Up by the Sea: A Romantic Fairy Tale
Im a self made IT geek, single parent and reformed RPG/gaming junkie living in the rolling hills of upstate NY (you know-where you can smell cows and it takes a ten minute drive to buy a gallon of milk).

When I am not at work with my head buried in a PC, I am at home or camp with my nose buried in a laptop writing.

** I didn't write Full Circle Home or Soul's Road, but no matter how many times I ask