Start by marking “Secrets after Dark” as Want to Read:
Secrets after Dark

Secrets after Dark

Residing at Thornton Manor under the premise of courting Jonathan Thornton, Hannah Forester intends to find out who murdered her father—and why. After all, Jonathan’s brother Morgan was the last person to visit Peter Forester before his demise. But upon her arrival at Thornton Manor, Hannah is informed that Morgan perished the previous year in a house fire. She soon learns ...more
Published January 5th 2012 by Walnut Springs Press

To ask other readers questions about Secrets after Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets after Dark

Start your review of Secrets after Dark
Heather
Cute story, but I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. It seemed a little forced and I couldn't really get lost in the story. I love books where I feel it is just real and I get lost in it, but as I read this I just knew it was a story I was reading. I wasn't really feeling the relationship either. It didnt' make me giddy or excited for them. It was interesting enough to keep me reading, but I didn't love it. I also am not big into witches and this had witches. I hope I like her other ...more
Taschima
Jan 26, 2012 marked it as to-read
This is the girl from the cover of A Temptation of Angels... Actually same image, only cropped. I don't really like when two covers are the same. And the pink font doesn't go with it at all.
Kathryn Cooper
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this was a retelling of Beauty and The Beast until I started reading it. A beautiful girl in a mysterious Manor with a man in hiding who changes into beast form. There are so many additional characters with twists and turns in this story though. So at the same time it wasn't like a retelling at all.

Hannah was brave and smart, and Morgan was mysterious and heroic. The ending bothered me slightly. I like happy endings, but it was a bit too perfect for me. That's out of character
Teya Peck
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dang!!!! Okay first off I was completely skeptical and truth be told scared to read this book. NOt sure why, especially now that I took the plunge and read it. People this is a tramendously...... amazingly........ awesome book!!! I'm trying to be articulate here and I"m just flored really. I was atounded, I was in that time and place. I was in the mist with her. THe sweet, tenderness of love and victory of Joy, were just highlights. I was completely swept away. It was a kind of beauty and the ...more
Brenda
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic book by Marie Higgins. A brooding, tortured hero- an adventurous, brave, intelligent heroine. Plenty of twists and turns Marie is known for. Fantastic side characters that jump off the page. The mystery is fast paced and well thought out. The romance is simmeringly sweet. Please oh please can sweet Jonathan have his story too?!?!? :)
Lynn Goodrich
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lynn by: I got this book by a give away
This book was one you didn't want to put down. Constant surprises with each page. I really didn't want the book to end....I really enjoyed the romance mixed with the suspense. I would definitely recommend this book and I hope to get more books by this author.
Mandi Slack
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing

When Hannah Forester is invited to Thornton Manor she has no idea the secrets hidden within. She only knows she must discover the mystery surrounding her father's death, and she feels certain the master of the house, Morgan Thornton, holds the key. He was, after all, the last person to see her father alive. However, upon her arrival she quickly learns that Morgan perished in a fire the year before. Frustrated, she determines to remain at Thornton Manner under the ruse she is courting Morgan's
Christine
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Hannah Forester is intent on finding how her father died and why and so she goes to where he was last seen at Thornton Manor under the pretense of Jonathan Thornton. Jonathan’s brother, Morgan, was the last one to see her father alive.

However, she is told Morgan died in a house fire the previous year (his family insists his ghost haunts the East Wing) and there seem to be secrets in the house, rumors of treasure nearby and unusual occurrences, including how many young women have vanished from
Mary
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
I loved Secrets After Dark by Marie Higgins. It is a romantic mystery full of intrigue and with a paranormal twist, set in Victorian England.
Thornton Manor is reputed to be haunted, but Hannah is determined to stay there and pretend to court the youngest Thornton brother a simple minded boy named Jonathan, while trying to solve the mystery of her father's death.
Normally I shy away from books that have stuff like shape shifting and witches, but Marie Higgins was able to weave the mystery and
Wanda Luce
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When Hannah Forester accepts an invitation to Thornton Manor, she enters a dangerous world of the paranormal. Ms. Higgins has crafted a vibrant adventure that made this book hard to put down. She masterfully intertwines keen suspense with poingnant love scenes I lived along with her characters. Ms. Higgins has an exceptional way of breathing palpable life into every scene. Secrets After Dark was hard to put down, and I believe readers of every genre will enjoy this well-written, Victorian novel. ...more
Valerie
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I hesitated between a 3 and a 4 on this one. The 4 won out. I classify this as one of her better books. I went back and forth as to feeling whether or not the story seemed drawn out and then rushed in the end. Still up in the air on that one. I think I would have liked a closer ending to Jonathan's story. He was such an intricate part of the story that it seemed a little unfair to leave it where it was. However, I think Mrs. Higgins did a smashing job on her overall story telling. I did read it ...more
Tammy
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This isn't really a book genre that I read but I am glad that I took a chance and read this book. It is full of mystery, suspense and intrigue. I really liked it and had a hard time putting it down. The main character Hannah is searching for her father's killer and is invited to Thornton Manor to court the youngest brother. She has heard rumors that the manor is haunted, but she ends up finding much more than a ghost.
Emily Lund
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I kept thinking this was written by T. Lynne Tolles (Somber Island), it kinda seems similar;I wonder if she has read the book? It seems a little different from Marie's novels but I did love it! Keep it going Marie Higgins!!I always love the stuff you create!
Sheryl C.s.
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book kept me from housework. It had an intriguing plot. I love the way Marie will twist a plot so it's totally unpredictable. It keeps me turning pages. I get a giggle at her characters, who are so ready to fall in love in minutes. I'm not patient and it caters to my short attention span.
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This has to be my favorite of hers so far. It has mystery and magic and danger oh and of course a love story.
Carol
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
A version of beauty and the beast.
Betty Pearson
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good read! It was suspenseful and kept me on my toes. Unpredictable and good character development. A well written book. I will definitely read more books by this author. I love clean reads!
Melissa
This was a fun gothic romance. It's a quick enjoyable read especially if you're in the mood for wolves, witches, a treasure, and a spooky house.
Danielle Thomsen
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good book absolutely loved it.
Debbie
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, as did my daughter. It is a twist on the Beauty and the Beast story. It was very good.

I just read this book again. I still like it.
hayden
Jan 26, 2012 marked it as maybe-reads
Hmmmm.. Same cover as A TEMPTATION OF ANGELS. I think.
M.
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon :)
Colleen
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I decided since it is October I would post a fun and haunting book. I read this book about a year ago and enjoyed the mystery inside its pages. Things are just weird in the Thornton house hold and Hannah didn't pick the best time to come for a visit, But without her everything would remain a mystery and we cant have that!
Great characters and plot. Romance, Drama, and some Spookiness all wrapped up in one book. Keep a look out for more books from Marie, she has a variety of enthralling novels
Jessie
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This book reminded me of Beauty and the Beast, set in Regency England. The master of the house, Morgan has been cursed to turn into a wolf at night (under certain circumstances). His brother and his sister-in-law spread the rumor that he's dead and haunting the east wing. Hannah Forrester comes along supposedly to court Morgan's younger brother Jonathan, but really she had hoped to meet Morgan, as he could have held answers to her father's recent murder. An interesting mystery/fairytale.
Andrea Smith
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This book started off really strong and then kind of fizzled for me in the last half...I think it needed more tension. I liked that this is a clean romance, but some of the romantic scenes were syrupy. I mean, the characters don't always have to be kissing when they're together. Sometimes less is more, in my opinion. I like when there is a lot of romantic tension--building up to the kiss. Anyway, it was still fun and I did like it. I'm sure I'll read other books from this author.
Lisa
Apr 27, 2012 added it
This was about the dumbest book I have ever read. I think it covered about everything that could happen in a novel. Let's see.... there was a man who turned into a wolf, secret passageways, the heroine lost in the woods, disappearing servants, witches, treasure maps, poisonings, kidnappings, an island; you name it, it's in here.
Suzana
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
The start of this book was well written and I thought the author finally understood how to make a book flow, but about a fourth of the way in, the writing became stilted and felt forced. I could not lose myself in the story. I have bought some of her other books as e-books for only 0.99 each, so here's hoping they are better.
Pamela
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
While there is a lot of kissing and passionate hugging, it is a very clean read. I was given a copy of the book but normally do not read books in this genre and this one did not convince me to do otherwise. However, young girls who are into the paranormal may enjoy it. Be aware that this book confuses physical attraction with love - it would be worth a conversation, at the very least.
Jenny
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I've never laughed so hard during kissing scenes. Which I'm pretty sure wasn't intentional.
When I stopped laughing the book just felt odd.
graded....meh
Holli
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Cover 2 10 Feb 03, 2012 08:29PM

• The Spinster and I (The Spinster Chronicles, #2)
  • Stetson's Storm (Lasso Springs, #3)
  • The Heiress (Miss Bell's Finishing School Book 2)
  • Christmas Secrets
  • If the Boot Fits: A Wit and Whimsy Romance (A Wit and Whimsy Romance Novella Book 2)
  • The Lady of Astoria Abbey
  • Astraeus
  • The Lady in the Coppergate Tower
  • The Darkest Summer
  • The Beauty (Ladies of Miss Bell's Finishing School Book 3)
Marie Higgins is an award-winning, best-selling author of clean romance novels.