Start by marking “The Syndicate” as Want to Read:
The Syndicate

The Syndicate

The Syndicate has never targeted a female before, yet somehow this on
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 301 pages
Published July 9th 2012 by Lands Atlantic Publishing

Lacey
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First Thoughts:

Wow, I never wanted this book to end, I fell in love with the characters and didn’t want to let them go, there’s just so much depth and character to them that I wanted to keep reading about them. And to make this an even greater book was the plot! No cookie cutter plot, there was definitely originality and creativity poured into each and every page. I was so engrossed in this new “society” and how it worked; it was really cool to see two sides of the same blade…

Plot:

Okay so I real
Amber
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mind blowing Awesomeness!

The Syndicate, is nothing short of AMAZING!! The cover is enough to lure the reader in, but the story within is full of conspiracy, twists, an unforgettable budding romance, bonds, action and more! This is one book you will NOT want to miss out on.

Vasile Petrescu is a Guard for Syndicate. Their duty is to protect the world from the awful Hybrids, who infect them if bitten. The Guards get assignments to hunt and kill these evil Hybrids when told, but Vasi's new assignme
Soumi
My first book of Shelena Shorts and I was like OMFG. When I first received the book I cannot help myself from gawking at the cover with a hawk eye like waiting for moment when Vasi will come out of the cover and I will throw myself in his arm. Sound romantic, yes! trust me you may feel the same and you feeling may enhance once you read the book.

The Syndicate is not you so called paranormal romance. Of course romance is the main ingredient but there is suspense and action too. Love, betrayal, tre
Alexa
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Already loving this more than The Pace series!
Speaking of 'the pace', The Syndicate really is fast-paced. It wasn't a problem to me though because it just felt right. And in the beginning I thought this book was going to end up being the usual read, but it wasn't. It definitely had its moments. I was very impressed and love that it's in the male POV! I hope there's more books! :)
Mitch
Jul 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-just-no
The Syndicate has such a great summary but that's about it for me. Wasn't a fan of the writing, I thought this would be an actioner and yeah there's plenty of Hybrid slaying but the prose was just too passive to carry it. And beyond the solid premise, there's just not a lot of plot or character development, instead Shorts devotes a lot of this short read to a somewhat strange romance and wraps things up with a rushed ending. I'm disappointed.

My biggest problem though is the writing. I'm not usua
Kristy
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
First off, I have to acknowledge this is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. A lot of you will not like this because of the lack of action and the abundance of romantical/relationship/lovey moments. But, if you are like me, you might just end up liking it for those reasons.

Spoilers ahead:

Vasi is part of a secret society, one that takes out hybrids. They are sort of contracted out by the government and kept a secret. Readers have visions that show them who the hybrids are, and from there the
~Tina~
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
(4.5 stars)

Shelena Shorts has done it again! I love her Pace series so I was exciting to see what this incredible women cooked up next.

The Syndicate is a great read. It's exciting and intriguing and romantic. The sap in me wanted to hug Vasile and Riley. I loved the story line and the idea's around the Guard, Scout, Readers, Shadows and Hybrids and I also really loved the twist in the end.
This wraps up nicely, but I would love another book!

Brilliant!
Krisz
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Certainly each of us has something inside that sometimes makes us doubt some choices, sometimes prompts us to do something, as if it could guide us from the shadows, and often helps us to male decisions. It's called instinct, that little voice in our head that it’s always present, and gets out when feels it's needed .. At women I would call it the sixth sense, the ability to perceive certain things, to choose a way because you feel that. At men I don’t know how to call it, but they certainly pos ...more
Katy
Jul 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't.

I thought the concept had a lot of potential, and I was really interested in seeing what Shorts had in stored. Unfortunately, I never really understood her world at all. In the beginning, you learn about the Guard, Scouts and Readers and how they make up the Syndicate, and I guess why it was formed to protect the world from the Hybrids. But what we don't get a clear picture of is what a Hybrid is (I'm guessing some sort of animal-like monste
Jessie Harrell
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Shelena Shorts and was dying to get my hands on this book. She was awesome enough to send me an ARC (thank you!). It was an entirely different book from The Pace series. Written from the male (Vasi's) perspective, the story felt a little more detached to me. Which is why I give it 4 rather than 5 stars; it did take me a little bit to connect with Vasi as a character (probably the result of never having been an 18 year old male assassin, I found it hard to relate).
That being said, I loved
Gia
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
-1.5 stars-

This mostly got me like:

description

I just needed a light, standalone read. However, this book was just: ugh. It threw me in a reading-slump. It was a short book but it dragged on for days...

Though, after the half of the book it perked up enough interest to wrap up the book. The climax was fine. So added ‛0.5' in my rating. The ending was abrupt and...something lacked... The start was like the gif.

The plot and storyline was well thought and imagined, but it wasn't developed as good..

Melissa
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Full Review Here
þ Action packed from beginning to end

þ Secrets, conspiracies, lies, and a truth that no one will see coming

þ Steamy heated romance that seems magnetic at times.

Wow. For the first time since reading Divergent I am sitting here speechless after finishing a book. I took notes while reading for the first time ever because I was feeling and thinking so many things I didn't want to forget any of it. This book is definitely an adrenaline pumper and emotional roller coaster.

It has to be.
Book Whales
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted @ Book Whales

This is my first book from Shelana Shorts. The first time I saw “The Syndicate” on Goodreads, I was salivating to read it. The cover draws me in! I mean, who could not look away? Vasi in the cover, looks so gorgeous. This book will not disappoint you. It is infused with adrenaline and a twist that will blow your mind. It was that good! One of the best books I’ve read so far.

The story is about how the world was kept safe by trained assassins. Vasi Petrascu is part o
Joy (joyous reads)
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Vasi Petrescu has only ever known one life: the role of a Guardian who protects the humans from Hybrids - humans infected by a virus that turns them into rabid animals. But when he was given an assignment to kill a suspected female hybrid, he began to question just how reliable their Readers and Elders are. One look at Riley Bennett and he knew instantly that someone made a mistake. First of all, she's female; Hybrids aren't able to infect those of the xx chromosomes. Second of all, Riley isn't ...more
Celine
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, loved
Oh wow, can this book just not end? It's like I'm watching a paranormal series minus the whole heart attack thing and the trashy storyline. Can this not be over? Honestly, I was stunned that I got to the last part without even really noticing it. I wa seven in a fit of indenial afterwards.

Vasi is a Guard, and a good one at that. His father definitely made sure he knew what he was doing, and where his loyalties belong. He seems to live in a different world because of how he lives, thinks, and act
Kayla
Jun 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
I didn't like The Syndicate. It started off slow, and continues that way throughout most of the book. The last fifty pages started to get interesting, but it didn't make up for the rest of the book. The plot was easy to follow. It just got really boring. I didn't care for the characters. The main character, Vasi, was okay at the beginning of the book. Then after he met Riley, he turned into an overprotective creeper and a stalker. He would sit outside Riley's apartment in his truck, and watch he ...more
Shelley
Aug 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was so excited to start this book! With an afternoon free of distractions, I was ready. This was my first time reading Short, but from the synopsis, I had high hopes of drama, action, and a sweet love story. Within the first twenty pages, my hopes were dashed. This story is under developed, rushed, and lacking in emotional connection. I wanted to like these characters and to become attached to them, but that never happened. The plot had a good concept and ideas that had potential but never dev ...more
Jenelle
Barf.

Halfway through, but not even going to bother finishing it.

It's not bad, but just kind of weak and unsophisticated, I guess. The premise was intriguing-ish, but there is very little added to it (by page 150 at least). The pacing is sluggish, the plot drags, and sorry, but Vasi is a dope. Even the "forbidden romance" is rather lackluster.

Props to the author, though, for her mixed-race heroine: how refreshing!
๑ஜ๑ Jαѕмιиє ๑ஜ๑
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to ๑ஜ๑ Jαѕмιиє ๑ஜ๑ by: Mariam {مريم} Dhalai
I liked it, but not as much as I hoped. I don't at all regret reading it though.
It starts off great, but then it's all just pretty much romance, romance I didn't enjoy (but then I've always been picky with that genre), and there were a lot of things unexplained. Then it picked up at about 60% I think it was. I was expecting it to be a series though.. I was kinda surprised when I remembered it wasn't.
Annabel
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was fast paced and full of action. The characters could have been more developed but it was still a good book to read. I also found it original and it had a few nice twists in it to keep it surprising.
All in all a really good read:)
YA Reads Book Reviews
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nichole
The Syndicate has never targeted a female before, yet somehow this one has ended up on more than one hit list. Vasi would like to find out why, but there may not be time.
Now, he’ll have to decid
Kirsty-Marie Jones
I can't believe I tortured myself with The Syndicate for so long. It started off bad, but somewhere between the bad and 30% I started to enjoy it, BUT, past that 30%, it welcomed back the bad with welcoming hands. My initial percentage for books I'm not enjoying is always 50%, but it's safe to say I didn't get there. I managed 42%, and there is a specific reason as to why I stopped there.

1) The Syndicate has never heard of feminism.

2) It's never learnt of pacing, either.

It's also safe to say I h
Bianca
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You can find this review on my blog: http://bianca2b.wordpress.com
I received this book from Shelena as an ARC.Thanks,Shelena!

I really ,really enjoyed this book.I read it on the beach,and this made it very special for me.I have to recognize that I didn’t expect to like it THAT much.The blurb attracked me because of the Romanian names and because of the Syndicate.I was very curious to find out what’s the deal with the Syndicate.

Once I started it,I was surprised:better than I thought!First,it’s ver
Cindy
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
I was excited to read The Syndicate since I first heard of it because it sounded so interesting. It didn't seem like a book I would normally read from the summary, but I am really glad I picked it up because I loved it. The Syndicate turned out to be a well written story about family, conspiracies, romance, betrayal, and even included some paranormal elements.

• Setting: The Syndicate takes place in a world very much like our own, with one exception: Hybrids. And because Hybrids exist, so does th
Sabrina
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: ya, review-books, nice, short
The review is also posted on my blog: www.justfantasybooksadis.blogspot.com

The protagonist of the book is Vasi Petrescu. He lives in a group named The Syndicate, where the Guards hunt the Hybrids - people infected with a virus which turns them into abnormal creatures. But when Vasile gets an assignment to kill a girl - which can't even be infected with the virus - he refuses to kill her. More, he wants to get some details and soon, a love story is born between him and the girl named Riley. Vasil
Mandi Kaye Ottaway
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Since I started posting reviews of the books I read, I’ve found that I’m a lot more critical than I used to be. I used to be able to just sit back and get lost in the story, regardless of the writing or any continuity issues. Now, I notice them and it can be somewhat distracting – even when the story is fantastic.

This book was somewhat affected by this curse. It’s not until two-thirds of the way through the book that we even find out what the Syndicate actually is and who/what the Hybrids are. A
Pam
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
GoodReads Synopsis: For centuries, the Petrescu family has been protecting society from a danger that moves among the population undetected. Eighteen-year-old Vasi Petrescu has never had a problem carrying out his duty, but, when ordered to eliminate an eighteen-year-old girl, he is immediately taken out of his comfort zone.

Now,
Carie
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a good, riveting book. I enjoyed it a lot--really felt the paranoia, danger, and oppression of Vasi’s situation. I felt somewhat detached from Riley--didn’t feel like I knew her extremely well and I actually feared for a while that (view spoiler). This disconnected feeling about her may be just because everything was from Vasi’s POV. I would’ve liked to see inside Riley's head and understand her thoughts/feelings more.

The religious as
Claire
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Vasi Petrescu is a Guard in The Syndicate. Protectors of humans against Hybrids, he does what he needs for The Syndicate and man-kind. But suddenly his world is shaken up when he receives the name of a girl. Females have never been targeted before, and Vasi's instincts are telling him that Riley is not a threat.

This book was fabulous. You don't read a lot of books written in male point of view but I love it. I would also just like to point out... How good-looking is the model in the cover? Yes.
Jagged
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-have
It was rather slow into the build up of excitement in this book--even with the bits of action thrown in. It wasn't as gripping as I was hoping for. But it wasn't entirely boring either. The writing was good enough, it didn't annoy me too greatly, it just wasn't very captivating. It was easy to read and follow, but it was just too predictable.

I did skip over the majority of the church scene. It was boring and I didn't find that it gave anything worthwhile to the reader to tie into the book. It al
« previous 1 3 next »

• Demons of the Sun
  • Reincarnate, Beloved
  • Preloved
  • Crux
  • Defy (Firstborn Trilogy, #1)
  • Relatively Honest
  • Spectral
  • Luminosity (The Raven Chronicles, #1)
  • Connection (Le Garde, #1)
  • The Girl with Borrowed Wings
  • Come See About Me
  • Back To You
  • Immortal Eclipse
  • The One (The Portal Trilogy, #1)
  • Sacred (Sacred, #1)
Shelena Shorts is a Virginia native who graduated from George Mason University with a degree in English and Special Education. After teaching for several years, she continues her passion for literacy through writing and publishing. Most of her weekends are spent on the sidelines cheering for one of her three, super active kids! She loves nature's views and is grateful for God's daily blessings.
“…we have to make the decision in time, we have to mark it, put it in the envelope, stick a stamp on it, and mail it back. We can’t just decide, but then let the deadline pass, because if we do, it’s like we never made the decision to begin with.” 8 likes