Start by marking “DawnSinger (Tales of Faeraven, #1)” as Want to Read:
DawnSinger (Tales of Faeraven, #1)

DawnSinger

(Tales of Faeraven #1)

The High Queen is dying...

At the royal summons, Shae mounts a wingabeast and soars through the air to the high hold of Faeraven, where all is not as it seems. Visions warn her of danger, and a dark soul touches hers in the night. When she encounters an attractive but disturbing musician, her wayward heart awakens.

But then there is Kai, a guardian of Faeraven and of Shae. S
Published 2012 by Harbourlight

To ask other readers questions about DawnSinger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DawnSinger

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Christian Fantasy
437 books — 618 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter Series Box Set by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Fantasy Books
1,546 books — 1,594 voters

More lists with this book...

Jypsy
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Harbourlight and the author for a complimentary copy. All opinions expressed are my own.

Dawnsinger
Faeraven #1
By: Janalyn Voight

*REVIEW* 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Dawnsinger is the first book of the Faeraven series. I honestly don't read a lot of fantasy adventure stories, but I went in with an open mind. The scope of world building is epic, as the setting is vividly depicted with fantastical creatures, dazzling sights and a different language set(see the glossary in the back). The characters are strong
Shantelle
DawnSinger by Janalyn Voigt was a good book. Really interesting and well-written. But I think I need to read the next book in the series before I form my full opinion! Anyway, so far, intriguing new Christian fantasy series!
Holly Weiss
Fantasy is not my usual genre when I reach for a book, but Janalyn Voigt has won me over with DawnSinger, Book One in her Tales of Faeraven series. DawnSinger transports the reader to an enigmatic and endearing alternative history. Princess Shae and Kai, her protector, navigate a journey through a rich Renaissance-like fantasy world.

This is fiercely inventive storytelling with fluid, descriptive prose and consistently time specific dialogue. Brimming with imagery and symbolism, the book delights
Jane
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Janalyn Voight has created a believable alternate universe, complete with unfamiliar names and terms. The book includes an 8-page glossary of those terms and names. Personally I thought it was a little excessive and a bit of a nuisance to have to keep turning to the back to discover the meaning of unfamiliar words, some of which the meaning could not be determined from context.
However, I did enjoy the plot and anticipate enjoying the following books in the Tales of Faeraven series. I also enjoy
Jill Williamson
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a royal summons arrives from the High Queen, Shae travels to Faeraven to find the queen on her deathbed. But something else is not right. Dark visions haunt her, so she stays near to Kai, a guardian of Faeraven. A urgent journey to release the DawnKing sends Shae and Kai far from home where they battle many beasts. But sometimes victory comes only through surrender.

Here is the first in a new fantasy series for adults. But older teens will enjoy it too. In DawnSinger, Janalyn Voigt has penne
JoJo Sutis
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-it-2013
Fans of Christian Fantasy Fiction will NOT want to miss DAWNSINGER!!!
Janalyn Voigt has reminded me of all the things I love about this genre…the beauty, the adventure, the epic-ness.
I really cannot believe I did not discover this author/series sooner!
I highly praise Janalyn’s addictive writing style- she really sucks you into her fictional world….I didn’t want to leave!
The main characters Kai & Shae are not only likable and relatable, but believable ( I really need my characters to come to l
Larry B Gray
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fascinating story and adventure. DawnSinger by Janalyn Voigt kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I read it. Its fast paced action and evolving storyline made it hard to put the book down. The storyline was easy to follow and the characters were well developed and believable.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and cannot wait for the next installment.

I highly recommend “DawnSinger” by Janalyn Voigt as a must read for all age groups. If you enjoy fantasy adventure you will love this b
Lynn
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading DawnSinger by Janalyn Voigt. I was taken back to a time of the Renaissance and saw myself in the main character, Shea. We all fight the demons in the shadows that exist in our own imaginations and I was blessed with Shea’s struggles and triumphs. I read the book on the edge of my seat. I could not put it down. I wanted to ride Wingabeasts with Kai and Shea forever. But alas the story came to an end…or did it. I cannot wait to read the sequel! Thanks Janalyn for an amazing story.
Nay Denise
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Received a copy for review from the author.

This was a beautifully written Christian fantasy. I enjoyed the bits of scripture thrown into the story, it really made them come alive in a more action-packed way. The writing was interesting and the characters kept me hooked. I also enjoyed the world and different places in the world.

Shae is a beautiful girl that has a deep connection with Lof Yeul. She has visions from him. She hears from him. She feels a great burden for her people. I loved Shae as
Nay Denise
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Received a copy for review from the author.

Suzie Waltner
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Even after giving myself a couple days to process, I’m on the fence with this book.

Jannalyn Voight vividly paints a picture of her fantasy world with descriptive words and phrases. It’s not challenging to imagine this land filled with wondrous beauty and creatures as well as barren and desolate places. Shae, kai, and a handful of others undertake an epic quest to save their beloved people and king. I enjoyed both of these elements of the story.

I’m not sure whether it was a positive or negative t
Yakira Goldsberry
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
DawnSinger is an epic tale that unfurls in a world that is different, yet so familiar. A high fantasy world with flying horses, spirits, and mind magic, Janalyn Voight was able to create a world that is fresh and new in the fantasy genre.
It took me a bit to get through DawnSinger, but it made the tale no less interesting, and the end was riveting. The last few chapters had me turning pages faster than I could think. Which in my perspective, is great storytelling. The overall plot was interesting
Jessica Belmont
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Epic Christian Fantasy? Yes, please. DawnSinger is an inventive novel with beautifully descriptive prose and dialogue. I absolutely love the imagery and symbolism woven through the book.

The world-building in this Renaissance-esque fantasy is beautiful. World-building in fantasy is especially important, and Janalyn Voigt has nailed it here. Every location was vividly described in such a way that I was able to escape into the words of this novel and pretend I wasn’t in the real world for a while.

T
Preeti
MY TAKE ON DAWNSINGER:

General Overview:

I really don’t know why, but throughout the book I couldn’t stop comparing the flow of the book with that of a river- a river that flows calmly at its own pace. The book was a pleasant read. Although being a part of a series, it gave a sense of completion at the end. The fantasy world was so ethereal, so beautiful, so mesmerizing. Inspite of few points which created obstacles in making me get connected with the book, I was totally in awe with the world-buil
Candace

**2.5 stars / 5.0 stars**

DawnSinger is definitely not a bad book, in case that's how you interpret a 2.5 star rating, yet this book just didn't resonate with me personally. I read it in one day, so this book was by no means a chore to get through, but nothing really made it stand out. After all, there's nothing I love more than a fun fantasy adventure, but even though DawnSinger started with a lot of promise, I felt that it never really took off.

Essentially, all the exposition in the first part
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
At the request of Lof Raelein, High Queen Maeven, Shae, Princess of Whellein, flies off on Kai’s wingabeast to be at the Queen’s side as she lay ailing close to death. Amidst rumors of danger about the Welkes, giant creatures of prey, Kai and Shae risk their lives to be at Lof Raelein’s side. Kai is a Guardian of Rivenn and Maeven’s personal guard. He is also the known brother of Shae.

Secrets are unveiled, and Shae must make a dangerous trip to Lohen Keil to release the DawnSinger by singing Kun
Tracy Krauss
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dawnsinger is one of those books that draws you in and won’t let go. It is definitely allegorical but not to the extent that it becomes cliché. Shae, the heroine, is whisked away to the Faeraven by her brother Kai, in service to the dying queen. An epic adventure ensues – too much to go into detail here, but suffice to say that it embodies the quintessential struggle between good and evil. I will be reading the sequel Wayfarer as soon as I can get my hands on it. After about page two, I literall ...more
English
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm trying to get through books I've had on my Kindle or in my computer for years, and this was one on my list.
This book was a pleasant surprise. So much epic fantasy is not strong on the world-building, for various reasons. In a lot of it, the 'Medieval' setting resembles either Colonial America or Ancient Israel, or a combination of the two.

This one was quite different, the Medieval setting is quite authentic (no potatoes, I mean literally), and the story a world building was very strong. On
Christine Lindsay
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dawn Singer by Janalyn Voight is such a delight to read. As an old fan of the Dragons of Pern series and of course, The Lord of the Rings, etc, it was great to find a new author who can wing me away on a fantasy novel. I’ve been looking a long time for a novelist who can take me to a world of wing-a-beasts, sword-play, evil in the dark shadows, and glorious light in the frail but stalwart heroes, as well as a sweet and breath-taking love.

There’s plenty of action and danger in this story of Sha
Kimberly
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Janalyn Voight took me on a wonderful adventure to a beautiful, exciting fantasy world. The reader is treated to a realm of emotions in this fairy world. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel to this book in a way I have not in quite a while.

Voight has a fresh voice that takes the reader to a world of Renaissance times where fairies are near and there are conflicts between ruling families.

I would recommend that anyone who enjoy fantastical tales that take you to other worlds and time.

I was given thi
Pamela
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've read this book and let me tell you, this is some amazing writing! I'm not much on fantasy and can't even imagine creating whole new worlds but this book grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let go. I read it in one day - forgetting all other things I had to do....the setting, descriptions and poetic prose kept me turning pages and I can hardly wait for the second book in the trilogy!

Disclosure: I hosted a spot on the blog tour for this book and received a copy for review.
Donna
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love and duty...faith and trust...all wrapped up to make this quest one of discovery. What a phenomenal story. Well written like the best in fantasy - certainly a match for Tolkien and the best of this genre.

Ms. Voigt has woven a tale that carries you along on the wind of the journey. You'll smile and laugh and cry and gasp at times as she guides you on this quest along with Shae and Kai.

Excellent story!
Erth
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Joan Arning
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Fantasy is not my thing! However, I won DawnSinger in a giveaway so thought I'd give it another try. DawnSinger is very well written and I'm sure will appeal to anyone who enjoys fantasy. I believe it was somewhat an allegory. I would recommend the book to people who enjoy the fantasy genre.
Heidi
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shae is a young princess of Whellein. At the beginning of the story, we are riding with Shae up in the sky on a Wingabeast. Little does she know what’s really going on underneath her. At home, her mother is dying and there are secrets about to be revealed…

Kai is a guardian of Faeraven and of Shae. He is the brother of Shae. Through certain circumstances, they must find Lohen Keil to release DawnSinger before the enemy destroys their land. Together with a group of men, they embark on a journey t
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)

This story was hard for me to get into. It is set in a fantasy realm and has unfamiliar terms, creatures, and history. I'm glad that I slogged through the beginning because it was a story that I enjoyed in the end. (I was reading a kindle edition and did not know there was a glossary at the end.)

Shae, Kai, and crew embark upon an epic journey to save their homes and loved ones. The book has some surprises for the reader. There are aspects that I didn't expect and that was refreshing for
Jasmine
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The fate of the realm is in her voice...

Fantasy has never been my genre of choice, though I have many fond childhood memories of wiling away the hours in Narnia and Middle Earth, but gradually I've been opening that door and allowing my horizons to broaden. I've actually seen Janalyn Voigt's name quite a bit, and it's all been positive, which is why I decided to give the Tales Of Faeraven a shot.

DawnSinger is the first book in the series and in true fantasy fashion there is an epic quest, terri
Victor Gentile
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Janalyn Voigt in her new book, “DawnSinger” Book One in the Tales Of Faeraven series published by Harbourlight Books takes us into the lives of Shae and Kai.

From the back cover: The High Queen is dying…

But then
Sarah Gunning Moser
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Sarah by: My writers' group
DawnSinger centers on Shae and Kai, protagonists sent on a perilous journey to serve their kingdom and fulfill destiny. Fraught with political danger and intrigue, riveting battles, and a quest not unlike that for the Holy Grail, DawnSinger describes a world that doesn’t exist…except in our minds. Shae and Kai battle evil but also confront their personal foibles and demons.

As an English teacher and student of medieval history, discovering Janalyn Voigt’s writing was a delight. With a bold, clea
Brit
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
The DawnSinger was a refreshing piece of Christian fantasy fiction. I’m always, always on the lookout for well done Christian fantasy or science fiction because I feel like it’s just a rare gem to find it. DawnSinger is a gem.

This was one of those books that was reminiscent of one of my all time favorite books and authors, The Crown of Eden by Thomas Williams. There are many scriptural analogies, symbolisms and a lot of rooting for good to overcome evil in both. This didn’t quite execute as cle
Christian Readers: Christian Allegorical Fantasy Giveaway 1 8 Oct 30, 2012 12:27PM

• The Rude Buay Trilogy
  • Hunting
  • Dragon Empire
  • Caterpillar (The Metamorphosis Trilogy #1)
  • Dust (Of Dust and Darkness, #1)
  • Time Walker (Spirit Bound #1)
  • Dragon Frost
  • Aire
  • Endless (Crescent, #1)
  • Uprising (Fires of Providence, #1)
  • Angels All Around Us: A Sightseeing Guide to the Invisible World
  • Eye of the Sword (The Angelaeon Circle, #2)
  • Judge (Books of the Infinite, #2)
  • Unlocking the Kingdom: The Battle for Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom
  • The Phantom Queen Awakes
  • The Land Beyond the Portal
  • Velvet Rain
  • The Sundered
Janalyn Voigt's literary education began in childhood when her father read chapters from classic children's books to her as bedtime stories. She grew older, and the bedtime stories stopped, but Janalyn continued to fall asleep to the stories she made up in her head at night. This, combined with her avid consumption of books, gave Janalyn an intuitive grasp of storytelling. Adventure, romance, hist ...more

Tales of Faeraven (4 books)
  • Wayfarer (Tales of Faeraven, #2)
  • SoJourner (Tales of Faeraven, #3)
  • DawnKing (Tales of Faeraven, #4)
“Mottled light swept the garden, creating an
illusion of movement. The air rippled, on the edge of hearing, with the bittersweet song of a wingen.”
0 likes