Start by marking “The Michael Eric Dyson Reader” as Want to Read:
The Michael Eric Dyson Reader

The Michael Eric Dyson Reader

Acclaimed for his writing on Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Jr., Tupac Shakur, and many more, Michael Eric Dyson has emerged as the leading African-American intellectual of his generation. This collection gathers the best of Dyson's vast and growing body of work from the last several years: his most incisive commentary, the most stirring passages, and the sharpest, most pr ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Civitas Books (first published January 7th 2004)

Andrew
When I first read a Michael Eric Dyson book, I was a bit nonplussed. What was the big deal?

Then I get to see the full range of his thought on display, and fuuuuck. Like few others (Camus being one stand-out), this is a man who just kind of soaks it all up and spins it around inside a constantly, actively working head. A self-made man who doesn't come off as self-righteous (well a bit, how can you not be, but way less so than I'd be), a Baptist minister I can actually accord some respect to, and
Ellen
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Michael Eric Dyson is our favorite social commentator. He always adds to the conversation. His essays are important and they help broaden the conversation about race in America.
Prince Samuel
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A collection of essays that digs in to the challenges of modern society, looking into the issues of race, class, culture & multiculturalism. I strongly remmend it.
Warner
Sep 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
A very heavy book. Deep
Stephen Matlock
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's a compendium of interviews and essays from someone who is just very, very smart on a lot of topics. Not shy about himself.
Jonathan Hunn-Broadnax
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love it. A continued reference for all kinds of topics.
Darrell
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
the man is a giant - a Baptist preacher who is brave enough to explore the homoeroticism of the Bible and shake his head at homophobia, a historian, a feminist, a film critic, a public intellectual, on Tavis Smiley's couch and Davey D's radio show like he was a fixture, a liberal from my parent's generation who listens to and can appreciate hip hop.

this was a great read that was made better by a majority of the brothers at my place of work being familiar with it....
Carol Storm
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Imagine if Ta-nehisi Coates were all grown up. And educated. The best writing I've ever seen about the OJ Simpson case, and the essays on Michael Jackson are pretty good too. Though Dyson never really comes to terms with the repeated child-abuse charges and all that plastic surgery.
Tam
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
I have to say that when I first picked up this book I was uber excited. However, getting through it was a bit tough. After awhile just felt like I was at church for hip hopers.
House Turner
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating read for me to comprehend Mike D's elaboration of prose and grammar. After the first chapters, my eyes adjusted to the length and structure of his rhythmic patterns and my mind grew exponentionaly. This was truly a challenge to get through, but I'm glad I was able to absorb such a masterful piece of black literature.
Latasha
There are a lot of good points to take from the book. I found myself using the dictionary to look up words Dyson had used which is typical when I read any of his books. A quote from the book I liked.

"One must constantly evolve and regenerate, stretching the boundaries of identity in a way that permits you to integrate new strains, new molds, new themes, and new ideas into the evolving self-awareness that occupies your heart and mind".

I forgot the year I bought this book and finished it.
LaShana Claude
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A really good reader to have on hand if for no other thing but inspiration. He is brilliant. I am fascinated by the way he walked in and got his Phd with no hassle. There's also a debate, I think in the reader where he describes affirmative action and inequality in terms of a house. That is my favorite part. I read Come Hell or High Water too but I am not going to review. I'll just say both are ready good.
Elke
May 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: amst and wmst and interdisciplinary minded folks
this man is a genius.

i couldn't finish this book before the library wanted it back and i couldn't renew it because someone else wants it.

EDIT:
guess who's coming to georgetown (to be a professor)?!?

Dyson in person at Politics and Prose Bookstore on July 19

YAY!
Jeannie
Aug 28, 2007 rated it liked it
This may have been one of the most information packed books Ive ever read. I thought it would be some fairly light reading but I ende uo needing a highlighter for all of the interesting quotes and monologues. It really showcased Mr. Dyson's strong views on topics like apartheid, anti semitism, and the hip hop's role in todays language and writing. He's a another Cornel West.
Derek
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amazing and dense. I was lucky enough to hear Dr. Dyson speak when I was in college and thoroughly enjoyed every second. This book was a prep for the lecture. It was nice to revisit this again. I'd forgotten how cerebral his material is!
Christopher Clinton
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I disagree with some of his thoughts and hypotheses, especially his retort to Bill Cosby's view of Black America. However, he is still a powerhouse of a scholar.
Winter Sophia Rose
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Expressive, Informative & Convincing! A Powerful Read!
Maria Noel
Nov 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians
Great compilation and collection of an array of Dyson's work.
Julie
  • Voices from Slavery: 100 Authentic Slave Narratives
  • If You Can't Be Free, Be a Mystery: In Search of Billie Holiday
  • The Ralph Nader Reader
  • The Angela Y. Davis Reader
  • Martin and Malcolm and America: A Dream or a Nightmare?
  • It's the Little Things: Everyday Interactions That Anger, Annoy, and Divide the Races
  • In Search of Sisterhood: Delta Sigma Theta and the Challenge of the Black Sorority Movement
  • The Tanning of America: How Hip-Hop Created a Culture That Rewrote the Rules of the New Economy
  • Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism (PB)
  • Hellfire Nation: The Politics of Sin in American History
  • Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil
  • The Hip Hop Wars: What We Talk About When We Talk About Hip Hop--and Why It Matters
Michael Eric Dyson is an American academic, author, and radio host. He is a professor of sociology at Georgetown University.