Jump to ratings and reviews

Dueling Hearts

172 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Vickie McDonough

87 books243 followers
Over 1.5 million books sold!

Bestselling author Vickie McDonough grew up wanting to marry a rancher, but instead, she married a computer geek who is scared of horses. She now lives out her dreams penning romance stories about ranchers, cowboys, lawmen, and others living in the Old West. Vickie is a best-selling author of more than 50 published books and novellas, with over 1.5 million copies sold. Her novels include End of the Trail, winner of the OWFI 2013 Booksellers Best Fiction Novel Award. Whispers on the Prairie was a Romantic Times Recommended Inspirational Book for July 2013. Song of the Prairie won the 2015 Inspirational Readers Choice Award. Gabriel’s Atonement, book 1 in the Land Rush Dreams series, placed second in the 2016 Will Rogers Medallion Award. Vickie has recently stepped into independent publishing.

Vickie has been married for forty-one years to Robert. They have four grown sons, one daughter-in-law, and a precocious granddaughter. When she’s not writing, Vickie enjoys reading, antiquing, doing stained glass, watching movies, and traveling. To learn more about Vickie’s books or to sign up for her newsletter, visit her website: www.vickiemcdonough.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews
1,205 reviews8 followers
September 2, 2019
Although I really enjoyed both previous books in this series, I think this book was my favorite! It's close though! I loved all 3 books! The characters and stories were wonderful. I loved reading about this time in our history! Reed Bishop was someone I would like to know. He is intelligent, trustworthy and has a conscience. When he is pulled into a duel with a drunk man at a ball, he cannot say no to it! We can't understand those times but to refuse was cowardly and unseemly for families with honor! I wont go into the story but I loved how he worried so much about it. He didn't want to do it but had to. He eventually has to go to Scotland to train to be a doctor for a few years but upon his return, he has matured greatly and doesn't want to become wealthy as a doctor but instead, help the common folk. I just loved everything about him! His neighbor, Carina, belongs to a family who has hated Reed's family for years. No matter how mean she is to Reed, Reed is always kind to her, and her slaves. All the things that Reed does for her and her property is amazing. Carina has lived with so little love & caring in her life. I felt so sorry for her! I was totally sucked into this story and found myself wanting these characters to be real! A great story!
Profile Image for Catherine Richmond.
Author 6 books112 followers
Read
March 3, 2012
It's 1848 in Charleston, SC. Carina's brother Johan gets drunk at a party and challenges neighbor Reed to a duel. Johan dies, leaving Carina to run the plantation by herself. Four years later, Reed returns from medical school in Scotland, ready to set up practice as a surgeon. When one of her slaves is injured, Carina and Reed's paths cross again. Carina's angry about all the wrongs done to her by Reed's family, including the death of her brother. Reed is attracted to this hardworking woman and tries to help her - but she doesn't need help from the likes of him!

Not everyone in the antebellum South lived like Scarlet O'Hara. Probably more were like Carina, who struggled to survive. I like how the happy ending gave her not only love, but a new, more appreciative family - she deserved it!
Profile Image for Shavona Thompson.
500 reviews11 followers
September 6, 2019
The author has a talent for painting detailed descriptions that make you feel you are experiencing the story personally. You can hear the trees rustle, birds sing and feel the emotions of the characters. I loved how faith was strong throughout the story. If I could change one thing it would be to add an Epilogue because I wanted to know more.
23 reviews1 follower
April 21, 2015
A good southern story.

A struggling southern women keeps her family's farm from being lost by taking charge of the running w tell help of the slaves.
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.